Start by marking “Loving Her” as Want to Read:

Loving Her

The groundbreaking story centers on Renay, a talented black musician who is forced by pregnancy to marry the abusive, alcoholic Jerome Lee. When Jerome sells Renay's piano to finance his drinking, she leaves her destructive marriage, and flees with her young daughter to Terry, a wealthy white writer whom she met at a supper club. Terry awakens in Renay a love and sexual de ...more
Published May 28th 1987 by Naiad Press (first published July 28th 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Loving Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loving Her

Start your review of Loving Her
Thegirlintheafternoon
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-school
Again, I'd probably give it closer to a 2.5 - but it must be said: From a literary perspective, this book is almost meritless. It's horribly written. The good things about it are its interesting plot and its importance as one of the first books of its kind, etc. Still, I can't fault anyone who reads a couple of pages and is deterred by the horrifying prose.
Abilouise
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Holy crap do the characters in this book drink all the time or what? I found this in a free book box and kind of enjoyed it from a history perspective and also a "that's a hilarious way to talk about women having sex" perspective.
Cynthia
Jul 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: queer
I appreciate what the author was trying to do. Especially at the time she wrote it. There's also a number of ideas that needed and still need telling as pertaining to race and misogyny.

But this is not a good book. On technique, the writing is tedious, the dialogue unrealistic, the characters one-dimensional. On content, all the characters are stereotypes, and there is not one relationship depicted that is not unhealthy in some way, mostly possessiveness and toxic control, all of whic
Ashley
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Perhaps it’s because you’re both oppressed members of our society, and as such, you experience many of the same ostracisms, hurts and pains which make you compassionate toward each other. But one day, since neither life nor love is forever idyllic, she may become angry at you for something trivial, or at the whole white race for something done to the blacks. You too could become angry and, as the angry do, want to strike back. Ugly racial slurs could be wildly exchanged—nigger—honky. These word ...more
moxieBK
This book took me longer to read due to life events, but that's not to say that I was being purposely slow in reading it. Far from it!

Quick note: At the beginning of my version, there was a critique; a discussion of the book's groundbreaking nature. In the middle of this reading, I decided to ditch it and read it after I had finished the book. If you have not read the book before, I strongly recommend you read this part after the book. There are spoilers in the section that give away bits whic/>
Pam Thomas
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this novel because it tells of life in the now with no holds barred, how a woman embarks down the road of marriage to a man who repeatedly rapes her , is abusive and after 20 years of going through the motions realizes she is a lesbian. I loved the book, it a first African novel with a lesbian theme, found it most enjoyable.
Mary Loftus
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving Her

An important book by one hell of a writer, Loving Her is an incredible read chocked full of witicisms and plagiarisms. It is just plain incredible--as good a read for anyone as it was for me!!
Cheryl
Oct 19, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a classic novel from the 1970's and is most known for its portrayal of an interracial lesbian couple. The writing isn't fantastic, and it certainly is depressing is spots, but is worth the read as a trail blazer.
Heather Bennett
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Loving Her might have been a better story if it was written better. I enjoyed the story.This book was written back in 1974 which was ahead of its time. If this book was rewritten it would be a far better and more enjoyable book to read.
Thea Reader
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting plot

I found the book to have a well developed plot. I kept wanting to know what would happen next. I would like to see a sequel that continues to develop the characters. Offhand I probably would not have bought the book. But I was able to get free, so I did;
Hayley
Nov 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Although politically valuable, this novel is an awful piece of story-telling.
Norma
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I AM CURRENTLY READING THIS AT THE MOMENT
Sandra
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
A bit contrived, but consider the era.
Christine
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Brave writing for its time, and for that I overlook its faults. It's an easy read that doesn't demand much of the reader.
Brittney Glass
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was so wonderful!
Erica
Aug 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
An interesting look into the dynamics of inter-racial and homosexual relationships. Uses a lot of stereotypes but still an interesting and poetic read.
Daniel
Jun 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in sexuality/music, sexuality/race
Shelves: queerliterature
Aug 24, 2011
Margaret
Mar 09, 2017
Marthe
rated it did not like it
Nov 28, 2017
Kerryann
Feb 22, 2019
Alex
Apr 09, 2016
marva chung
Feb 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Go the Way Your Blood Beats: An Anthology of Lesbian and Gay Literary Fiction by African-American Writers
  • Black Like Us: A Century of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual African American Fiction
  • An Emergence of Green
  • Two Moons: Stories
  • Yabo
  • Afrekete: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Writing
  • Choices
  • Fires of Aggar (Amazons of Aggar #2)
  • Doc and Fluff: The Dystopian Tale of a Girl and Her Biker
  • Playing Games
  • Pembroke Park
  • She Wants Her
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • Love in the Balance
  • Lessons in Murder (Carol Ashton Mysteries, #1)
  • Post Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #9)
  • Daughters of Darkness: Lesbian Vampire Stories
  • Sugar
Shockley is a black feminist theorist, novelist, and librarian. Shockley’s extensive contributions to black literature in general and black queer literature and politics more specifically, have broken ground in the vast wilderness of works that do not exist.

Shockley has written reference books, nonfiction and fiction for newspapers and journals, as well as book reviews, essays, novels,