Start by marking “Rescued (Southwestern Shifters #1)” as Want to Read:
Rescued (Southwestern Shifters #1)

Rescued

(Southwestern Shifters #1)

When Gabriel Staley rescues a magnificent black wolf, he has no idea that destiny has just turned up the heat and brought him his mate, sexy shapeshifter Mika Blackwell.

Gabriel Staley was used to being an outcast in the small town of Shasta, Texas. More concerned with rescuing stray dogs from a cruel death at the hands of the local Sheriff, Gabe focuses on making a differe
Published March 1st 2010 by Total E-Bound

To ask other readers questions about Rescued, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rescued

Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
1,057 books — 1,464 voters
Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWith Love by J.L. LangleyTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Furry Lovers
190 books — 176 voters

More lists with this book...

Deeze
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was totally disapointed in this book. The 2 stars = 1 for idea and 1 for writing slightly better than a few other shifter writers. But only slightly. What is with these authors equating shifter finds mate with sex sex and then more sex. (view spoiler) ...more
P
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
3.5-4 Stars

Can't get enough of this book,although the story is a little bit plain and no twists at all but I do love the premise.
Gabe and Mika is a perfect couple.IOW,some conflicts in this book are floating around all along,so I feel like there is the dilemma about the issues that I decide to flip them off in the end.Lol.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Nov 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Bubbles Hunty by: Courtney
It started off good and i liked all the characters but once they started having sex that is all they did, it got pretty boring IMO even skipping the repetitive sex scenes it was still boring.

Seemed like what could have been an interesting plot/story had it been developed was skimmed over so there could be massive amount of sex
Ashley♥Alexis
2.5-stars

My review will probably consist of tons of complaints because really,
I had really high hopes for this one. The first couple of chapters were amazing! I just loved Gabe and the beginings of his relationship with Mika. I liked how there relationship started... It all went down hill once they started sexing, I'm so serious.

I couldn't think of a possible way to go wrong with this story... sadly my first assumption was wrong. As i mentioned before I did enjoy the characters but I feel like
Meags
3 Stars

So, here’s the thing – every time the story started to get really good or emotionally engaging, the two MC’s would start groping each other (or at the very least they’d be thinking about groping each other) and it kind of ruined any of the potential this story had to be truly awesome. Bummer! And yes, I’m legitimately complaining about the abundance of sexy times. Me! Shocking, I know! But to be clear, I had issues with the timing of the sex scenes, not the sex scenes themselves (they wer
BWT (Belen)
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, mm-fiction
Holy hell, I finally finished! I was starting to think it would ever end.

I believe there was potential here, especially for some hurt/comfort with Mika's past, but (and I can't believe I'm saying this) all of the sex gets in the way. I get it, they're mates and they want each other - but their constant boning gets in the way of everything - to the point where it got a little ridiculous and a lot repetitive for me.

Side Note: I hate the word "prick" and it's used a lot here.

Also, it made me craz
Ravyn
Hmmm. The interesting (if somewhat cliched) premise is what initially drew me to try this shifter novel. Injured, sickly wolf is rescued by some kindhearted strangers. Wolf turns out to be a shape-shifter who has just found his mate. Bad guys at every turn. Potentially good stuff, right? Yeah, not so much.

What can I say? I just didn't think this was very well written. The characters are all totally one-dimensional and not very interesting. The plot is seriously cliched, painfully obvious, and se
Serena Yates
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
‘Rescued’ is a good start to the Southwestern Shifters series. The werewolves like to be called shifters, and there are some differences to what the ‘standard’ werewolf behavior would be. There are still packs and alphas, but they can shift at any time and are sentient when in wolf form. There is also a hint at a pack structure and hierarchy above that of local alphas, making it possible for ‘bad alphas’ to be reprimanded. I liked that the mating was between a shifter and a human, it made the ex ...more
Wax
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, kindle, own-have, z-05-utc
Re-read 5/12/17: I still really like this shifter mate story between Gabe, a human, and Mika, a wolf shifter who has been thrown out of his pack. There might be a bit too much insta-lust for some, but it's a shifter story, after all.
Chappy
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my favorite from miss Bailey.

The writing lacked realism. They were constantly calling each other "mate" and it didn't seem authentic. I wanted more details about Mika, as his pack is only briefly mentioned and we meet the alpha for like a minute. What did he do before showing up near Gabe's place? Did he have a job.

Also, the sex...now I like sex scenes don't get me wrong. But there were too many and I started getting desensitized to them. Sometimes, less is more.
Julia
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, paranormal
Just kinda anti-climactic. *shrugs shoulders* Nothing much really happened out side of meeting and sex until the last 25% of the book. And even then, it just felt minor and was over quickly.
Alisa
Even my beloved fated mate plot line couldn't save this for me. Mostly sex. An undeveloped plot.
J.P. Jackson
Dec 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Tamara
Feb 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ok...I want to say this review is not coming from a bad place so please don't think that. I love reading anything that is horror, urban fantasy, and paranormal romance. So I'm really critical of any book that is written in these genres, especially with the influx of all the bad books lately.

No matter what genre a book is; there should always be a plot. I should be able to read a book and remove all the sexy stuff and still have a decent book. This book went from one unnecessary sex scene to anot
Karen K
3 1/2 but I bumped it to 4 Stars - I’m a total shifter-lover and this was a great read.

The characters were rich and flawed and delightful together, and I always enjoy a shifter/non-shifter mating relationship. I also liked how the author threw out some of the pre-conceptions of the werewolf myths - made it more interesting, and the mind-connecting really helped me connect to Gabriel and Mika.

Never thought I’d say this, but there was a “lot” of sex in this book considering its length - not that
Zabree
Mar 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
Badly executed. No one was properly physically described. I'd find myself reading a scene and wondered where in the heck this came from or why it was happening or what the heck were they referring to. It did make me appreciate those authors who manage to artfully work in details so that I won’t find myself somewhere wondering how the heck I got there. I would look back to see if I happened to doze off during something pivotal, but I couldn't find anything. I couldn't finish it.
Catherine
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Catherine by: Jenni Lea
I didn't know it was possible, but I think this book had so much sex (in the broadest sense of the word) that I actually became desensitized to it. The book was cute, but by the end, I was so damn tired of the constant tongue-twisting of Mika or Gabe's pretty prick plumping up, perking up, and pulsing with release.
Phaney
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Huh. This is really… Okay. Story time.

When I read this first three years ago I disliked it. I may not have outright hated it but the only character I liked was Mika. Gabe I just despised. The writing looked bad to me and I felt the mate connection robbed the story of its potential.
I did later read the next two books in the series and progressively loved those more and more. So, basically, this first one and the bad impression it left with me is responsible for waiting this long to get back to th
DaisyGirl
2.5 stars rounded up to 3.0

This is a story about Gabriel and Mika. Gabriel is a small-town boy who designs websites by day; he also runs a shelter for abused dogs. Mika is a wolf shape-shifter who was banished from (and almost killed by) his pack for being gay. Gabriel is his mate. The two have some challenges: 1) Gabriel must come to terms with the existence of shape-shifters and accept that he's mated to one; 2) Mika has to get closure with his pack; and 3) Gabriel and Mika must deal with the
Ladypessi
Sheri
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I love a good shifter story.
I love hot steamy smut fests.
But can you have too much...

apparently you can!

Complete PWP. I just wasn't expecting it.
Sooo, be warned...grab a pack of smokes if you light up after orgasms.
Cuz, you'll be chain smoking your way through this hot little number ;)

Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
This book was a whirlwind of stuff! It coulda been so much more. Gabe & Mika are mates and that's that...no angst. I found myself looking for more mentions of Adam, Todd & even douchy sheriff Kaughman. I've heard the series gets better with the next book, so I think maybe I'll try one more before righting it off completely.
Candice
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shifters
Even though I know most shifter/mate books normally have an insta love type theme, this one just did not work for me. While I could have gotten beyond Gabe's easy acceptance of Mika being a wolf and them being mates with really no questions asked, I found what little story there was seemed to be just thrown it to break up the endless sex scenes.
Awilk -never sleeps-
I was a little disappointed by this book. When I got to the end, I was still wondering about things that had happened, and wanted to know where my answers were. I will read the next one and see if anything pops up in that one.

There was a huge amount of sex in this book, so if that is not to your taste, I suggest you give it a miss.
Ms. Nikki
Wow. Sean Michael has just been beat in the sex to plot ratio race. This is a light, at times; comedic, shifter read with low angst. Suspension of belief is needed, otherwise there may be some eye-roll moments.
Elisa Rolle
A nice paranormal novel with an “homemade pie” feeling, and this is a compliment. Often, shapeshifter stories about gay-shifters banned by their pack for something they cannot avoid tend to be highly dramatic and a little bit repetitive. Bailey Bradford prevented this issue infusing her story with a “comfortable” environment, two more or less average men (if you let aside the little detail one is a shapeshifter…) and obstacles to their love that can be solved with the power of love and good pred ...more
Shelby P
Mar 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, paranormal, wolves
When I read the blurb for this story I was sorta expecting a story on par with Without Reservations but I was sorely disappointed. This is a book where the focus was sex and the plot was secondary. The mating pull was exaggerated here, I think. These guys got horny all the time. Don't these people have to work once they find their mate?

Can I also tell you that this book has one of the more absurd ways to turn a human into a shapeshifter. (view spoiler)
L-D
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I read the first four books in this series before reviewing this book, so that does affect my review since the overall series is better than the individual books. In this book, Gabe Stanley, is a protector of the innocent. Of the canine variety. After learning that the sheriff beats stray dogs (seriously, who DOES that?), Gabe and his best friend Deputy Todd make it their mission to rescue as many as they can. When they come across a wounded wolf, Gabe finds himself unusually touched by the nobl ...more
Lexi Ander
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-shifters
Gabriel Staley rescues black wolf, Mika Blackwell, and has no idea that he just turned his life upside down.

Gabriel is an outcast in the small town of Shasta, Texas. Gabe focuses on making a diffenece rescuing stray dogs and finding them homes. He's always running a step ahead of the sadistic Sheriff who is known for his cruelty to animals.

Mika was kicked out of his pack for being gay and isn't adjusting well to his outcast status until he is rescued by his mate, Gabe.

On a side note there was a
  • Luke's Surprise (Shifters' Haven, #1)
  • Allergies (Preters, #1)
  • Ethan's Freedom (Portals, #1)
  • Midnight Howl (Howl and Prowl #1)
  • An Assassin's Touch (Lost Shifters #9)
  • From Pack to Pride (Supernatural Mates #1)
  • Blood of a Leo (Solomon's Pride #1)
  • Determined Mate (Holland Brothers, #2)
  • Blood Moon (Insolita Luna #1)
  • The Mark of an Alpha (Pack Discipline #1)
  • With Abandon (With or Without, #3)
  • Heart Song (True Blood Mate #1)
  • Bloodlines (KinKaid Wolf Pack, #1)
  • Snakeskin Boots (Were Menagerie #1)
  • Broken Memories (In the Shadow of the Wolf, #2)
  • Bitten (Bite, #2)
  • Edric (Resistant Omegas #3)
  • Leap of Faith (Moonlight Breed #1)
A few things about me...

I am a married mom of four who spends most of the day writing, either on stories or at the blog. I love to write as much as I love to read. I am generally quiet and laid back, choosing to let things slide off me rather than stick and irritate me.

And it's really hard trying to think of descriptives for myself, so I'll just let y'all e-mail me or comment at the blog if there'

Southwestern Shifters (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Relentless (Southwestern Shifters #2)
  • Reckless (Southwestern Shifters #3)
  • Rendered (Southwestern Shifters #4)
  • Resilience (Southwestern Shifters #5)
  • Reverence  (Southwestern Shifters #6)
  • Revolution (Southwestern Shifters #7)
  • Revenge (Southwestern Shifters #8)
  • Reluctance (Southwestern Shifters #9)
  • Renounced (Southwestern Shifters #10)
  • Retrograde (Southwestern Shifters #11)