Start by marking “Mutiny on the Enterprise” as Want to Read:
Mutiny on the Enterprise

Mutiny on the Enterprise (Star Trek: The Original Series #12)

3.25  ·  Rating details ·  585 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
The ship is crippled in orbit around a dangerous, living, breathing planet, and a desperate peace mission to the Orion Arm is stalled. Kirk has never needed his crew more. But a lithe, alien women is casting a spell of pacifism - and now mutiny - over the crew.

Suddenly Captain Kirk's journey for peace has turned into terrifying war - to retake command of his ship!
Published October 1st 1983 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Mutiny on the Enterprise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mutiny on the Enterprise

David King
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
“Mutiny on the Enterprise” by Robert E. Vardeman is one of the early Star Trek Original Series novels published by Pocket Books. The story follows the Enterprise which is sent on a mission to deliver a diplomatic team in the hope of halting hostilities between two worlds despite being long overdue a break for some maintenance actions. However, when Kirk rescues a stranded space-traveller called Lorelei on the way, he gets more than he bargained for as she appears to cast a spell of pacifism over ...more
Killarney Traynor
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
The Enterprise, long over-due for repair and relaxation, is unexpectedly sent on a mission to the fringe of the Federation world to deliver a diplomat intent on halting hostilities in two far worlds and preventing a Romulan take-over. Not only is the Enterprise under-powered and over-strained, but the diplomat's abrasive manner lends serious doubts to the efficacy of his mission. Things turn dangerous when Kirk rescues a stranded space-traveler - a woman who casts a curious spell of pacifism ove ...more
Bert
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Crapola. Though I did quite like the pacifist female alien Lorelei, who I obvs imagined as looking like Lorelei from Gilmore Girls. I felt let down by Chekov's dialogue not having w's instead of v's to make it sound more authentically Russian. Overall, I'll definitely be reading more Star Trek novels, though I'm not proud of it, and I might even try some of those Murder, She Wrote novels because I say YES to life.
Mike McDevitt
Jul 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
Forgettable, unpalatable, non-Mike-canonical.

The explanation for everyone being out of character is exhaustion, since they just finished enduring Vardeman's other story: 'The Klingon Gambit'

His crew trapped in a roofless wooden pen- Kirk doesn't even TRY the transporter before the phasers? Spock's FIRST attempt at communication with the unknown is now the private and dangerous mind meld? McCoy is so tired he thinks spoiling for a fist fight with Spock makes sense?

The villain Lorelei, Speaker of
David
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Enterprise is assigned to take ambassadors to negotiate a peace between two warring planets threatened by the Romulans. En route, they rescue a woman who believes in peace at all costs. She is able to strongly influence the crew to follow her -- to the point that they refuse to follow Captain Kirk's orders and strand him on an alien world where all life acts strangely in concert. The alien world was an interesting science fictional concept. The plot has interesting echoes of "Mutiny on the B ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Oh dear...what happened to the Robert Vardeman who wrote the enjoyable TOS novel "The Klingon Gambit"? The regular characters feel very off compared to their usual selves, the plot takes a very strange detour halfway through, and there's a rather big white arrow pointing at the direction of the novel's climax. "Mutiny on the Enterprise" earns its second star for having an intriguing premise, and my curiosity as to the fate of its antagonist...but reading this short novel felt too much like hard ...more
Joel
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, trek
I liked the planet they got stranded near. There could've been an entire book about that place.
TK421
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
#startrek I love it when principles of leadership are learned in unexpected places!
Arlomisty
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Great Star Trek book!
Jerry
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but not all that great.
Oleta Blaylock
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have read a number of reviews for this book and I have to agree with most that this book is missing something. Lorelei is part of the problem. I don't think a rational pacifist would allow anyone to be killed just to get their way. I know that most pacifist would die before killing anyone. The other problem is that the characters aren't acting like themselves. Most don't speak the way they have in the series or any of the books I have read. It is like they all had their personalities altered. ...more
Anja Braun
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
This book was just okay A bit on the bland side. A alien woman named Lorelei believes in pacifism so much so she uses her gifts to persuade the Crew . This in turn causes most of the crew to Mutiny. All of this while Kirk is trying to get Ambassador Zarv and his team to Ammdon for a Peace conference. I did like the ending which that was the best possible way and one she should have thought about herself instead of making trouble.
Angela
The Enterprise is sent on a peaceful mission, but the ship is in need of serious repairs. They pick up an alien woman via answering her distress call. At first this feels like a typical Mary Sue storyline but it does become something more. She is so persuasive that the crew start disagreeing with everything, with only Spock being immune. A good read.
Craig
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Kirk was kind of an idiot to start out - otherwise the plot wouldn't work but because he was the story goes on!... Into insanity! Some cool ideas in this book and the singular minded planet was one of the coolest parts that was slipped in late in the game and could have made its own story on its own. I enjoyed it, wasn't anything GREAT though.
Charles
This story is very similar to the original series episode “This Side of Paradise.” In that episode, there is a symbiotic relationship between humans and the spores of a plant. The spores provide humans with immunity from a deadly form of radiation and are a narcotic. When infected by the spores, humans enter a state of artificial bliss, showing no initiative or aggression.
In this case, Lorelei induces the state of bliss; she is a humanoid that the Enterprise picked up from a severely damaged
Nicolas R.
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mutiny on the Enterprise is an exciting, chilling, and weird story that fits the style of the original Star Trek series. Written by Hugo award winner Robert Vardeman, Mutiny on the Enterprise shows the main characters of tasked with escorting ambassadors the Orion Arm to stop a war from starting between to worlds. Sounds easy enough. Except that the ship is on it's last legs and to much strain could destroy it. On their journey they end up rescuing an pacifistic alien girl that looks human (on S ...more
S. J.
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: DIEHARD Star Trek fans
Recommended to S. by: The Series
*2.75 Stars*

*The Gush (Actually the Rant in disguise)*
Ehhh. As you can see, I finished this long ago and am only now getting around to reviewing it. The sad thing is...I WANT TO LIKE THIS BOOK! This is the book everyone should read, particularly now. Except that it sucks.

The idea that the book is addressing is that there are times that armed conflict is necessary, and needs to be a last resort. Peace and sanctity of life should always be what we are striving for, but just because we are committ
Mike Crate
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek, scifi
The Enterprise is assigned a time sensitive mission to transport a diplomatic party to mediate a treaty between two worlds on the verge of war and being encouraged by Romulan encroachment into the area. The ship however is in desperate need of maintenance and almost immediately the safety of the ship and the demands of the mission conflict. On their journey they rescue a female alien from a ship adrift and she seems to have a strange and compelling effect on all the crew and as the Enterprise de ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mutiny on the Enterprise takes place during the original 5-year mission. Don’t let the cover fool you. Kirk and Spock are painted in their later years, like after the second movie. Robert E. Vardeman does a good job of portraying the Enterprise crew.

The villain is interesting because she really isn’t bad, it is just that her way doesn’t really work with humans . . . but she doesn’t understand that. Is she evil? No. Do you grow to dislike her? Oh, yes. Do you see any way for Kirk to beat her? No
Michael Hanscom
Most Trek books get a pretty standard 3-star rating. Not great, not bad, but good mindless escapism. This is one of the few to drop below that. Very poor characterizations for most of the main characters, a clumsy story with too many things going on, and some very odd and occasionally uncomfortable scenes (the discussion between Kirk and Lorelei in her quarters, with it's repeated instances of "the pose would be sexual if she didn't look so much like a child," culminating in Kirk starting to com ...more
Rich Meyer
This is one of those Star Trek novels that has such a great title that it's sad to see it fall flat on its face. Unfortunately, this story reads like a second-rate episode of the animated series; it could have definitely been pulled off better as a half hour show, instead of a middling-long novel. Rather disappointing on all fronts, with mediocre characterizations that barely stayed canon, and a lame antagonist and resolution.
Jim
Aug 17, 2009 rated it liked it
On the way to a delicate peace conference, the Enterprise stops to rescue an alien woman. Soon, she's used her amazing powers of persuasion to turn most of the crew into militant pacifists who stage a mutiny and exile Kirk, Spock, and a few other officers who still resist her philosophy on a strange and dangerous planet. It was entertaining enough for a Star Trek book, but there was nothing especially memorable about it and the ending was rather predictable.
Chantel
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was an interesting one for me. I spent the entire novel absolutely HATING Lorelei. If the story hadn't been interesting enough for me, I'd have quit reading it on that basis alone. But then again, if that was the author's intent, he did a FANTASTIC job of it. I also thought the author's use of humor excellent, especially between McCoy and Spock. Made me Lol a few times and I love when a book makes me laugh.
Gabriel Wallis
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
"Mutiny on the Enterprise" was very entertaining. I absolutely loved reading it. Kirk is sent on a mission with three ambassadors who are needed to squelch a war between two warring races. On their way, the Enterprise catches a distress signal and picks up Lorelei, a woman who subtly manipulates the Enterprise crew members to mutiny against their superiors. The book was a fast read and highly entertaining. I recommend it.
Jeremiah
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was ok

Another book to fill my sudden urge to read some Trek -- this one seems like a bad episode of the TV show. The strong part is the depiction of Kirk as an alien slowly causes his entire crew (except Spock) to mutiny. He does, however, take too long to spot what was blatantly obvious to the reader.

Okay for time-filler, but don't expect anything fantastic.
Du
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
It was a quick read. Felt like a mediocre episode of the show. It took just slightly longer to read than it would have to watch :). Some of the Star Trek books are really worth seeking out, and as I age, I find that a book like this one, which I would have loved as a twelve year old, I tolerate as a 37 year old.
Surreysmum
May 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1983, star-trek
[These notes were made in 1983:]. This is one of the latest of the published fiction, and like Vardeman's other entry into the field, it's got the externals right, and otherwise is just a nice little adventure story. Little is made of Kirk's reaction to a mutinous crew. And I think Vardeman makes the Spock-McCoy rivalry a bit too hard-edged. But a pleasant evening's gulp, nonetheless.
Víctor Arturo Mercado Fernández
Una excelente narración basada en los caracteres originales de la serie, una lectura ágil y sin complicaciones, pocas sorpresas y mucha acción, aunque considero que el autor en algunos momentos abusa de la rivalidad existente entre el Bones y Spock.
Charles
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
It was OK. I didn't like the alien character who was introduced and didn't really buy her gaining such control over the Enterprise crew. the characterization of the main characters was pretty good. An easy read.
Gregory
Jan 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-trek-tos
The worst non-self-published book I have ever read. I only read it because I plan to read ALL of the TOS novels. Hopefully, the author improved with his later works.
  • The Trellisane Confrontation
  • Ghost-Walker
  • Dwellers in the Crucible
  • Star Trek: The Disinherited
  • Black Fire

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire