Start by marking “Copper River (Cork O'Connor, #6)” as Want to Read:
Copper River (Cork O'Connor, #6)

Copper River (Cork O'Connor #6)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  3,426 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
Desperately avoiding the clutches of professional hit men who have already put a bullet in his leg, Cork finds sanctuary outside the small Michigan town of Bodine. But while he's hiding out in an old resort owned by his cousin Jewell DuBois, a bitter widow with a fourteen-year-old son named Ren, the body of a young girl surfaces along the banks of the Copper River -- and t ...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Copper River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Copper River

Liz
Jan 22, 2017 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed all the Cork O'Connor books I've read. My library doesn't carry this series, so I've been picking them up second hand. This means I tend to read them out of order. Despite getting a tad confused about where I am in O'Connor's life, I always find the books uniformly good.
In this book, Cork is away from Aurora and on the run from a bounty on his head. He takes shelter with his cousin and her son. Dina, an ex-FBI agent who first appears in book five, arrives to help him. She is a st
Brent Soderstrum
This is the 6th installment in the Cork O'Conner series

Throughout the book I was looking for a reason not to give it five stars. To me a five star book is a special book. Yet when I got done with the book I felt I would only give it a four because I was being stubborn. Is it the best Cork O'Conner book I have read yet? No but I have come to realize I really enjoy Krueger's books. This has twists and brings out a bounty of emotions in the reader. Dread, anticipation, revulsion, guilt, sentimental
Jill Manske
Sep 09, 2016 Jill Manske rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
William Kent Krueger has a way with words, with an ability to create monstrous villains while at the same time portraying love and tenderness between the main characters. Although sheriff Cork O'Connor is written as tough with terrific detecting skills, he also has a warm side when it comes to his wife and kids. He's also compassionate with the families of victims, demonstrating that even nice guys can be great cops. In "Copper River", Krueger explores the horrifying world of sexual abuse of run ...more
Jeanette
This isn't a review. I'm too partial to Krueger stand alone to be non-biased? Regardless, this one is just ok. And frankly, although I know I am probably in minority- it doesn't do justice to the U.P. of Michigan. It's better!

The best part of this did not have much to do with Cork at all. Somehow I just do not connect to him. But the Ren/cougar scenario stalk was 4 star and superior by far to the mystery/cop plot, IMHO.
Harry
William Kent Krueger's Cork O'OConnor series comprise a series of stories set in Aurora Minnesota, an area of the country of which I'm blatantly ignorant. Frankly, in reading the reviews of this setting I managed to barely stifle a yawn. Small town mysteries set in a frozen wasteland? With boring backgrounds that involve Indian supernatural folklore - I don't stomach mysteries that resort to such subterfuge, avoid beyond this world explanations when the genre is detective/mystery, decry irration ...more
Ellen Thielen
Jul 17, 2012 Ellen Thielen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new setting in this book...Michigan... where Cork seeks help from his cousin the veterinarian, to patch a bullet wound. Love the teenage characters in this one. The cougar sightings no one quite believes are also familiar...
 Julie
Feb 24, 2017 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was his best yet!
D.B. Woodling
2.75 Stars

Out of respect for the writer, I no longer review books I can't (honestly) rate ✭ ✭ ✭ or higher.
Lisa B.
Jan 30, 2017 Lisa B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
This series just keeps getting better and better.
Nancy
Dec 18, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it back-to-back with "Mercy Falls"--and now am going to cleanse the palate by reading, oh I don't know, someone else. Even the very best series volumes improve when there's a short break between reading successive books.

It seemed to me that Krueger was looking to move protagonist Cork into a different location, giving Aurora and the family a rest, while finishing the Mercy Falls plotline. The new setting and plotting were cool--5 stars for a different kind of character with Jewell DuBois an
Jim
Oct 15, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Krueger. This is the wrap up from Mercy Falls and where that left Cork was running North to get away from a contract put on his head by a crime lord out of Chicago who was fed bad information leaving him with the belief that Cork had killed one of his sons who was in Minnesota trying to negotiate a deal between a casino and the indian reservation. While on his way North Cork is severely wounded by gunshot in his leg, he heads to a relatives cabin in North West Michigan. ...more
Kristin
Aug 31, 2011 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio-books
After my less than glowing review of Mercy Falls by WKK (book #5), and a need to be ‘reading’ something on my drive to and from work, I sucked it up and started Copper River (book #6) simply because I had it loaded on the iPod.

Book 6 at least, did not incite me to throw my iPod across the car in disgust. This is not to say I didn’t roll my eyes in disbelief more than once, or mutter the occasional “You’ve got to be kidding me…” .

We have a widow in mourning. A young boy and his close friend who
Peggy
May 12, 2014 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a continuation of the story begun in the previous book, Mercy Falls. I guess you could read this without reading Mercy Falls, but it helps to understand the why of Cork O'Conner's current situation. Cork, a sheriff from Minnesota, is wounded and on the run from a contract put on his head for what happened in Mercy Falls. He is fleeing for his life and to keep his family safe. He runs to Wisconsin to an estranged cousin for refuge. He becomes involved in a murder there as he reconnects wi ...more
Judy
Sep 16, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's high time I caught up on writing reviews. I've been just recouping from surgery and reading. Now I need to pay the price. I was anxious to read Copper River soon after I finished Mercy Falls by Krueger as it is a closely tied sequel. It takes awhile to connect Cork to his new location and the characters who make up the story of this book, but there is still the relation to Cork's Native American heritage. Even though Cork is miles away, his enemy seeks him out, and there are harrowing event ...more
Jacqueline
I feel like a broken record but I continue to love the Corc O'Connor series. They are just so restful which is an odd thing to say about a mystery/thriller I know. I just contine to be absorbed by WKK's writing and love watching Corc do his thing. This one wraps up the mystery that started in Mercy Falls.
Judee
Aug 24, 2016 Judee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This I had to read immediately after Mercy Falls. This is an enthralling series. In this episode Cork is in hiding and wounded. In a clever series of events, the author brings Cork and Dina together again to solve a series of crimes in a small town in Michigan. A real page turner, I was finished before I realized it.
Dolly
Jun 05, 2016 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
4,2 stars. As always, William Kent Kruger has written a suspenseful mystery, full of interesting characters. Story line is intense and sometimes horrific (see Goodreads review). Cork O'Connor survives several attempts on his life by hit men hired to kill him. An old enemy is hopefully overcome, but will he arise again in another book? A good read.
Sherry
Dec 01, 2015 Sherry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book finished off the story that left the reader hanging in the previous book. Glad it ended on a positive note and the characters can move on.
Phil Griffin
Feb 09, 2011 Phil Griffin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is just the kind of book I need during the legislative session....a good mystery with fun characters and good vs. evil, although in this case it is very evil.
Freda Witt
Mar 31, 2015 Freda Witt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVE this series.
Rose
Mar 03, 2016 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
They keep getting better and better!
Andy
Feb 09, 2017 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I mostly enjoyed this book because it took a total turn from the standard Cork O'Connor detective novel. Not a great thing, because I like Aurora, I like Jo and the kids, but only so much can happen in Aurora, right? So instead we head to Michigan, another small town, and another murder, sans the family. It works on many different levels. New characters, some old characters, and a new predicament for Cork.

What is really great about the O'Connor books is that Cork doesn't always do it on his own
Laurie Allin
Feb 09, 2017 Laurie Allin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
A little bit different in that none of the regular characters, save Cork himself, are in this book. Deena from the last book has reappeared which in my opinion is a good thing. I hope to see Corks family, Jewell and Ren, work their way back into the may story. Things had gotten a little dry with Joe's family back home so it was good to mix it up.

I had totally forgotten about the prologue to the story when it hit me in the face later. Who names a dog Snatch? Fast moving plot, lots of twists and
Chandler
Feb 13, 2017 Chandler rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was boring. I feel it had no plot throughout the book even when it got to middle or body of the book. The book seemed to repeat the same events over and over again. I for sure did not look forward to reading it for that particular reason. So overall I give it a 1 star out of 5.
Agnes
Mar 06, 2017 Agnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nerve-tingling, heart-thumping read! Cork really gets himself, and others, into some life-challenging circumstances. Krueger knows how to keep the reader entranced to the point of not wanting to put the book down until finished.
Sandy
Nov 20, 2016 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good story about Cord O'Connor's life on the run. After being shot he hid out with his cousin Jewell's home. While trying to regain his strength he is thrust into a young teen age girls murder investigation.
Susan Reed
Feb 22, 2017 Susan Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Wish I'd known this was the continuation of Mercy Falls. I might have actually made an effort to read them in order. Wasn't sure about all the teenagers in the beginning, but in the end loved the suspense and action. Jury is still out on Dina.
Lynn
Mar 07, 2017 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good mystery writer - not overly complicated plot, never gruesome, just good-old fashioned mystery entertainment.
Lynn
Probably not the strongest plot in this series, but I liked the character development and setting (UP, MI).
Kris Munoz
Love Cork O'Connor series... always enjoyable
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • Blood Trail (Joe Pickett, #8)
  • North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)
  • Delivering Death: A Novel (Riley Spartz, #6)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • As The Crow Flies (Walt Longmire, #8)
Raised in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon, William Kent Krueger briefly attended Stanford University—before being kicked out for radical activities. After that, he logged timber, worked construction, tried his hand at freelance journalism, and eventually ended up researching child development at the University of Minnesota. He currently makes his living as a full-time author. He’s been married for ...more
More about William Kent Krueger...

Cork O'Connor (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Iron Lake (Cork O'Connor, #1)
  • Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)
  • Purgatory Ridge (Cork O'Connor, #3)
  • Blood Hollow (Cork O'Connor, #4)
  • Mercy Falls (Cork O'Connor, #5)
  • Thunder Bay (Cork O'Connor, #7)
  • Red Knife (Cork O'Connor, #8)
  • Heaven's Keep (Cork O'Connor, #9)
  • Vermilion Drift (Cork O'Connor, #10)
  • Northwest Angle (Cork O'Connor, #11)

“History. And from history came community. And community was something that spread out beyond itself, resulting in towns and nations. But it all began with family.” 1 likes