Start by marking “Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs” as Want to Read:
Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs

Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs

“[Hagan’s] book will appeal to readers interested in what true Zen practice is supposed to be about beyond all the popular images and colorful stories.”

—Robert M. Pirsig, New York Times bestselling author of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Buddhism is Not What You Think is a clear, direct, and engaging guide to the most essential elements of spiritual inqui/>Buddhism/> ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by HarperOne (first published October 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Buddhism Is Not What You Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddhism Is Not What You Think

Roisin
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Whatever you hold to, let it go.
Step into this moment.
Come back to just this.
It takes some effort.
But come back, come back, come back to just this.
Just see
what you've been ignoring for so long".

This is how Steve Hagen ends this immensely comforting and insightful book. I picked up this book during 2013 after some personal struggles that left me feeling a lot of things, both physical and emotional, none of which were comfortable, or pleasant or things that I wanted to be experiencing. Earlier that yea
Pooja Kashyap
Simple and free flowing book, Buddhism Is Not What You Think written by Steve Hagen talks about what reality is as per Zen Buddhism. The author resonates one central point in the entire book and that is, reality is about direct experience of the real time than mere feelings and thoughts, which happen to be in constant flux in conscious and subconscious level in human mind.

Through various real life examples, Hagen illustrates the point of perceiving awareness of the current instances
Amy
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book; in fact, I reread it this fall.

The concepts behind Buddhism are so elegantly simple, yet I find them difficult to absorb and digest. I guess that's the challenge, right?

Hagen writes in a clear and straightforward way, illustrating major points of the religion with everyday examples to which the average Western reader can relate. I find him to be an inspiring and thought-provoking teacher, and I would recommend this book as a good place to start if you are interested in
Mic
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I prefer quites over reviews:
According to Bodhidharma (and to Zen), if we make enlightenment—or enlightened people—into something special and set them apart from others and from ourselves, we abuse them. In the process, we also abuse ourselves. Thus enlightenment becomes remote, otherworldly, mysterious, and (seemingly) virtually impossible to realize.
Zen is about freeing ourselves from such deluded thinking.

57-58
Try to nail down what anything is. You can’t. It’s like tryin
Erjon 7
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the best ways to be introduced to the Dharma.
Masum Hasan
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddhism is REALLY not what I thought!
The author beautifully sheds light what being enlightened really is not. You might be asking what it is then? The answer is: that is the wrong question to ask!

Here are some key points I've found most important,
First thing first, Buddhism is not a belief system, a follower is not required to believe in anything supernatural. Buddha was a human, who found out that our suffering is caused by our craving to get happiness.
Imagine our life
Tom Blacklock
Nov 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thinking
This could have been interesting if he hadn't reiterated his only message on every single page. Instead it was just incredibly boring.

The message is in the title - don't bother reading the book.
Heather Yockey
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked the tempo of this book.
Rochelle
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Buddhism is Not What You Think-Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs by Steve Hagen
In his clear and conversational style, much as he did in Buddhism Plain and Simple, Steven Hagen tackles what is a thorny issue for most people coming to Zen practice hoping to "get enlightened" "feel blissed out by Nirvana" or those who come to Zen practice hoping to "get" anything at all. As he so simply states through 43 chapters, there is no getting what all beings innately possess (Buddha nature) and no becomi
Elly Sands
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a no-nonsense book on Buddhism and perhaps the most exceptional one I've ever read. The subtitle "Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs" is why I chose this particular book. I believe that beliefs are sometimes so unbelievable that they are hard to believe.

Rich Neal
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written - I'm learning a lot. A very detailed deposition of modern Buddhism that debunks the western-hemisphere initiated misunderstandings and biases towards the ONLY life philosophy that Albert Einstein mentioned as being worthy of further consideration.
David
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books you will find on Buddhism. Hagen gives clear descriptions of Buddhist thought and in a way that gives the reader a clear understanding of the fundamental concepts that are key to understanding the Buddha's message. Highly recommended.
Jolyon
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Terrific book. A lot of practical sense and getting to grips with real Buddhism. I like Steve Hagen's books and have a couple of others—they're all worth reading.
Fort
May 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Buddhism for the pragmatic American. Explained well with none of that as-soon-as-you-try-to-explain-it-you-fail stuff.
Adam
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A handful of months ago, I went on a meditation/mindfulness/Buddhism reading bonanza. I tore through quite a few books on the subject and feel like I got a lot out of them. This book came highly recommended as a good beginner's primer on the subject, and I mostly agree. There's plenty of good information here, and I found myself underlining and marking pages to return to regularly.

For some reason, though, this book took me forever to finish. I would pick it up, read a chapter, put it
Price
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It presents a broad range of topics and discusses them from a Buddhist/Zen perspective.
However, I do not agree with the author that Buddhism is not a "belief system". It is, but couched in different terms, riddles, and obfuscation. It does not share the extensive dogma of the Judaeo-Christian model but does proffer a belief system regarding life and the cosmos.
While reading the book, I began to reflect upon the Seinfeld episodes that promoted the idea of se
Mattheus Guttenberg
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zen, liberation, buddhism
Enjoyable and introspective. Hagen discusses the spirit of Buddhism from a Zen perspective: the illusion of ego, the breaking of subject-object dualism, the nature of sudden enlightenment, the art of manifesting wisdom in the world, and more. Many of his comments reflected perspectives/attitudes I had already discovered in myself through reading the primary sources (Yuanwu, Huangpo, Huineng, etc.) - but he delivers them in a holistic and polished manner, inspiring the reader to practice Zen more ...more
Kyle
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
There are some fine insights, interesting lore and personal stories, and candid explications here. Unfortunately there is also a lot of tiresome repetition that is doggedly on the nose, and somewhat homely prose that frequently seems to lose track of itself. The really good bits, and there are many, throw the breezy bromides into starker relief, and make me wish the author had taken more care to emulate some of the laconism so reverently featured in so many tales about zen monks. I would still r ...more
Ellen Rennels
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
And this book was not what I thought it was either. It is interesting and worthwhile but sometimes hard to follow. Of course, that is part of his overall point (I think) - that Buddhism isn't linear and isn't something you actually get a handle on. At least I think that is his point. The writing is lovely, the flow is mostly circular, kinda like a whirlpool. Keep going round and round, touching on similar points from a slightly different depth.
Francisco Lozano
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book, it definitely clears a lot of doubts regarding Buddhism and it makes you understand a lot and yet at the same time it can make you understand even less. Zen is complicated yet at the same time so easy.
Mamta Mittal
May 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Couldn't understand half of it.. Particularly after reading conversation with God -1 , I feel it's boring in comparison. It seems to carry the same message but isn't presented well. I am quiet disappointed .
Daniel Pasternak
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm no Buddhist but this was the best book I've read all year. There are so many thoughts and viewpoints explored in this book anyone would be able to walk away with something. My view on life has been changed forever after reading, i can see now lol!
Mark Edwards
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly inspiring and enlightening book. Boiling down the concepts of Buddhism to their most basic and fundamental.
Michael Bird
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Great book. Very clear, incisive and accessible. Really good on difficult ideas like non self and emptiness
Rob
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
more self help than history, but good insights into zen practice and awareness.
Allan Quinn
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book
Wanted to read a bit more on Buddhism and this book delivered. It explained some of the themes of Buddhism in a clear way and made me think.
Michael G
Here we find what Steve Hagen refers to. Nothing in particular.
Louis
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in Buddhism, philosophy, & religions.
I picked up this book for a couple of reasons. General interest in "what is Buddhism", a few times my behavior has elicited a question from a friend if I was studying the subject because of a comment or action on my part. (e.g. not being upset at someone because I felt, how can it hurt me if I choose not to have an ego about it…)

I have to laugh that this book tried to explain Buddhism and being “fully awake and aware of reality” without being able to state how one does it, or what it
Eric
Apr 26, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zen
I'm surprised I didn't jot this down, but in one of the chapters Steve Hagen makes a distinction between Belief and Knowledge.

If I remember correctly, there are two insights packed into this distinction.

First that Science is about Belief, which maybe something materialists like me may not be comfortable with at first glance... but actually kind of makes sense. It just so happens that Science has a very good way of controlling belief so that we're not just believing any old thing, bu
Andy Hickmott
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
This is one of those popular books on Buddhism which seeks to come at its subject from an original angle, presumably so that wisdom that has survived millennia can be commercially viable. In this case, the angle is revealed by the ambiguous title: easily misinterpreted as meaning 'Buddhism is not what you think [it is]', but properly explained in the book as meaning 'Buddhism is not [about] what you think' (but actually about letting go of thought). Yes, it's a clever smart-ass title, but a very ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • Alone with Others: An Existential Approach to Buddhism
  • The Buddha Is Still Teaching: Contemporary Buddhist Wisdom
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • The Quantum and the Lotus: A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet
  • Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution
  • Insight Meditation: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
Stephen Tokan "Steve" Hagen, Rōshi, (born 1945) is the founder and head teacher of the Dharma Field Zen Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and a Dharma heir of Dainin Katagiri-roshi.

He is a published author of several books on Buddhism. Among them, "Buddhism Plain & Simple" is one of the top five bestselling Buddhism books in the United States.

He has been a student of Bu
“See confusion as confusion. Acknowledge suffering as suffering. Feel pain and sorrow and divisiveness. Experience anger or fear or shock for what they are. But you don't have to think of them as evil - as intrinsically bad, as needing to be destroyed or driven from our midst. On the contrary, they need to be absorbed, healed, made whole. (15)” 14 likes
“What makes human life--which is inseparable from this moment--so precious is its fleeting nature. And not that it doesn't last but that it never returns again.” 14 likes