Start by marking “Spice & Wolf, Vol. 03” as Want to Read:
Spice & Wolf, Vol. 03

Spice & Wolf, Vol. 03

(狼と香辛料 / Spice & Wolf: Light Novel #3)

Having narrowly escaped financial ruin, Lawrence turns his attention to helping Holo find her ancient homeland in the North. But how long can a traveling merchant afford to wander the countryside looking for a village that he suspects may have ceased to exist long ago? When a rival merchant sets his sights on Lawrence's beautiful companion, though, can Lawrence truly be ...more
Paperback, Novel, 249 pages
Published December 21st 2010 by Yen Press (first published October 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Spice & Wolf, Vol. 03, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spice & Wolf, Vol. 03

Start your review of Spice & Wolf, Vol. 03
Robert R.
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this volume, but I can see why it's not for everyone.

As Lawrence and Holo continue traveling north, the book opens with them obviously having continued to grow closer as shown by their interactions in the wagon as well as the small differences in their banter. This is in someways the inevitable counter point to volume 2, with Holo being the one potentially tempted to leave Lawrence, although for much more complicated reasons.

I can see the main reason why people also dislike this
Rosie_Posie_Reads
This had a lot of things going on in this volume!

Holo and Lawrence have narrowly escaped the financial disaster and have returned to their main goal, to return Holo to her homeland in the north.

However, Lawrence has been keeping something a secret from Holo, he suspects that her homeland has been long gone. In order to make sure it is true he asks one of his merchant friends to help him find a chronicler (someone who writes about a town or areas history) to find out more about what had
Schzzy
I'm getting increasingly more frustrated with the series - and I'm only on book 3!
I was thinking of dropping the series altogether and just wait for the manga updates, that is, until I read the epilogue.
It wasn't all bad, however I must vet out: Lawrence is useless. He never says what it's expected to be said. How is Holo supposed to fall in love with him? He is always saying she is so clever, and a genius, and so on and so forth, but I don't see any of that. Especially in this book. Sure it
Jessica  (Ihaveseenthedragons)
This is probably my favorite novel in this series thus far. The pace of the book and the tension were just right. The emotions displayed in this novel displayed by Lawrence and Holo felt really real and easily drew me into this story.

People complain about this novel because basically all the drama builds up because of a lack of communication. This can be frustrating in some novels, but it did not really bother me here, because Lawrence's internal struggles were interesting to read. I feel that
Anniken Haga
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, fantasy
This am, unfortunately, the weakest book in this series so far. In my opinion.
It started out well enough, but fell as the whole thing kind of got out of hand.

I'm not a fan of YA for the reason that there often is so much unnecessary drama, brought on by lack of communication. This was the case in this book, and it strongly annoyed me.

That said, it was a good book.
I liked the story about Diana and the whole witch thing - I'm a sucker for witches, tbh - and I think the characters got a bit
Ricardo Matos
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: light-novels
So far, the best book in the series! I just couldn't put it down. Dialogue between the MCs is great as always, the story is a bit dramatic and the pace is just right! The other characters are better fleshed out and have more different personalities when compared to the 2 previous books where everybody kind of acted the same.
I was wondering whether the series would become repetitive and unoriginal (as in Holo's wolf form saves the day every time), but this time, Lawrence steps up... he still
Mars Dorian
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I couldn't get into the third issue and am going to leave the series.

It feels like a regurgitation with the same issues surfacing again. I still don't know what the main characters want in the story. They're just strolling from town to town, engaging in their passive puppy-love without solving any inner conflicts. All the trouble and misunderstanding spring from not talking to each other candidly.

It's not bad. I still like the setting of the wandering merchant, the mix of light romance and
Adam
Nov 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, weeb-trash
Two people who like each other not talking about it and generally failing utterly at communication due to ignorance, pride, or both: the light novel. I'm hoping this is the low point of the series, cuz if this kind of thing happens again, I'm gonna be pretty upset. These two seriously need to DTR and at the very least, talk to each other, dammit. So much of these problems would be solved if they just took a second or two, literally, to say "hey wait lemme 'splain that" or "don't leave just yet I ...more
Danvic Aguilar
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spice-and-wolf
Better than the 1st two arc! This arc consist of high tension, excitement and a lot of mixed emotions...it pretty much build up the characters. I loved the emotional joy ride i experienced when reading this, looking forward on volume 4!
Maisie Dickson(SleepyWiredStudios)
Actual Rating: 4.7/5

Enjoyable, funny and overall a great adventure story! while at times the story would drag a bit I was surprised how quickly it picked up. the characters were fantastic!
Alicia
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was definitely quite alluring in terms of character development, conflict, and emotions. With the perspective of a person who is struggling to keep his female companion by his side and bring her to her hometown, I am able to perceive the emotions each character goes through. Through this desperate situation, I see just how love can change someone to take a leap forward for their loved one, even if it may be useless or lead to ruin. It was absolutely a captivating novel to read.
Christopher Kincaid
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
More Holo and Lawrence hijinks. What's not to like? :D
Emma Vetter
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Of the Spice and Wolf books I've read, this one is truly my favorite. The climax of the book really delves into the emotional core of the series and builds so much great tension.
Jeffrey
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The conflict in this series just isn’t... conflict enough? ... to really get me to give it 5 stars. Otherwise it’s extremely well written and the characters are interesting enough.
Karla Schneider
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Starting to see things set into place and some sparks between the two, this is honestly what every person looks for in a romance novel yes?
Derek
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun light read. Lawrence is relatable as ever. I'm looking forward to going through the next volume and then venturing on past the anime adaptation.
Danielle Mercado
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series one of my favorites to read
Tiana
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I binged-read this on flights. It's so fun to see Lawrence and Holo's relationship evolve!
Brandon Varnell
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: light-novels
For original review go here: http://pokemaster12.blogspot.com/2015...

Color me impressed. Just when I thought the Spice&Wolf light novels couldn't get any better, I read this one and found myself blown away. There is a lot that I loved about this particular and not a whole lot that I didn't like.

Volume 3 starts off sometime after volume 2, obviously. Holo and Lawrence are traveling north, presumably to find Holo's hometown of Yoitsu. Right from the very start of this volume, we can already
Ratna Deepika
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This volume convinced me to pick up the manga as well - but I must say, like so many others - the light novels are better. If you thought this was just another supernatural romance between two oddball characters - namely, Holo, the wolf goddess of harvest and Kraft Lawrence, the travelling merchant - don't be fooled, for this is Economics for Dummies in disguise. While the chemistry of the lead pair had me fangirling to exhaustion, it is the complicated plot interwoven with medieval economics ...more
Nicholas Alexander
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the series so far, as well as the arc I enjoyed the most from the anime. After a falling-out with Holo, Lawrence fights to prove his loyalty to her after she appears to be leaving him for a young suitor and rival merchant. The supporting cast of vol 3 was the strongest so far, after the first two books, which kept the focus largely on just the main duo. Mark makes an great friend for Lawrence, and his apprentice Landt helps in a variety of ways. Batos, though he only makes a few ...more
Sarah Hayes
Mar 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-lns-misc
Oh, Kraft. You would think that after squeaking out a victory in Ruvinheigen with the armor racket that Lawrence would think twice about getting into a risky financial maneuver – but this is Lawrence we're talking about, and the stakes aren't just for financial gain but for the hand of his own traveling companion.

Yes, for the first time, Lawrence is in serious jeopardy of losing Horo’s companionship forever. But what is Horo to him, actually? It’s this question that dominates this volume of
Niquie
I've been nervous since vol 1 about how the romance would be handled, no offense to Isuna Hasekura but he writes the merchant scenes better.

This book throws in a love triangle, feelings of betrayal and doubt, misunderstandings, and lack of communications. Oh and a character selling someone... sort of.

And yet I just didn't feel it. It was just okay. Hopefully now that the love triangle is over and things are clear between Holo and Lawrence (I think?) the next vol should be more enjoyable.

This
Danielle
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed it. I like the intersection of the three different subplots in this book and am looking forward to where one is going in the future books. The subplot with Amati trying to take away Holo was a bit annoying though, since it wasn't until the end that anyone thought to ask her how she felt about it. Fortunately, it works out in her favor, with one guy getting his just desserts and the other learning to listen to her.
Annalisa
In this volume of Spice & Wolf the tension between Helo and Lawrence is ramped up and the reduced a little. I can see a bit where the series is headed and I hope it is able to maintain the momentum this volume had. I really love the characters and the story. Helo is one of my favorite characters in manga/light novels. I really recommend this series.
myinon
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This volume was a really good read. It took some focus away from a pseudo action-oriented story and instead focused a little more on the character relationships. You see Lawrence and Holo grow closer together after several instances of misinterpreting each others intentions. The best part of this volume is that you actually get a lot more knowledge on economics and get to see it in action.
Artemis
HOLO!!!!!!!!! My favourite anime girl of all times, wolf!

Now that I've got my hero-worship out of the way... If you are looking for a AMAZING book with WONDERFUL characters, a INCREDIBLE plot line, BEAUTIFUL Medieval Europe setting and educational in terms of economics... look no further, my friend.
Casey
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the my favourite S&W books, this is the tale of Lawrence vs Amati in a merchant's duel. Featuring great economic principles (credit, short sales, margin buying/selling), this is another great step in von Miser economics.
Patty
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm really rooting for the romance of the main characters! I think I've come to enjoy the novel series because I actually have not seen the anime, nor have I read the manga...so I can interpret Lawrence and Holo in the way you can only do with your own imagination.

• Bakemonogatari, Part 1 (Bakemonogatari, #1, Part 1)
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 1
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 2
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-, Vol. 1 (Re:Zero Light Novels, #1)
  • 無職転生 ~異世界行ったら本気だす~ 1 (Mushoku Tensei, #1)
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 3
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 4 [Utsuro No Hako To Zero No Maria 4]
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 5 [Utsuro No Hako To Zero No Maria 5]
  • ノーゲーム・ノーライフ 2 ゲーマー兄妹が獣耳っ子の国に目をつけたようです (No Game No Life, #2)
  • メイドインアビス 2 [Meido in Abisu 2] (Made in Abyss, #2)
  • No Game, No Life Vol. 4 (No Game No Life Light Novels, #4)
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 7
  • 傷物語 [Kizumonogatari]
  • ノーゲーム・ノーライフ 1 ゲーマー兄妹がファンタジー世界を征服するそうです (No Game No Life, #1)
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 6 [Utsuro No Hako To Zero No Maria 6]
  • 盾の勇者の成り上がり 2 (Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, #2)
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-, Vol. 2 (Re:Zero Light Novels, #2)
  • Bakemonogatari, Part 2: Monster Tale (Bakemonogatari, #1, Part 2)

狼と香辛料 / Spice & Wolf: Light Novel (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 01