Start by marking “I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1)” as Want to Read:
I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1)

I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  29,118 Ratings  ·  3,588 Reviews
What if the world's worst serial killer...was your dad?

Jasper "Jazz" Dent is a likable teenager. A charmer, one might say.

But he's also the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, Take Your Son to Work Day was year-round. Jazz has witnessed crime scenes the way cops wish they could—from the criminal's point of view.

And now bodies are piling up
Published April 3rd 2012 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about I Hunt Killers, please sign up.
Leah Cossette I wouldn't describe it as especially gory. It focuses more on the mental/psychological aspect of being a killer than on the physical.
Eve I recommend Jennifer Lynn Barnes "The Naturals" and the sequel "Killer Instinct" It's similar to Criminal Minds but the YA version

Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Do you believe violent offenders are the product of nature or nurture?

In the case of 17-year-old Jasper “Jazz” Dent, he’s got both factors working against him. Not only is he the son of the country’s most notorious serial killer, but dear old daddy even forced him to watch those grisly crimes and sometimes…more.

I’ve always been interested in how human beings cope with extreme circumstances, and the way children in particular can demonstrate remarkable resilience. I Hunt Killers sets u
Flannery
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA readers who like adult crime thrillers, Dexter fans

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga Chart Comparing Gory Funny Scary and Clean

(click to enlarge)

I love reading about and researching serial killers. There, I said it. I am perpetually fascinated by the stories that seem too far-fetched to be true. Elizabeth Báthory allegedly bathed in the blood of virgins to retain her youth. Ted Bundy kept the decapitated heads of his victims in his house as mementos. Ed Gein dug up dead bodies and made a belt out of nipples. This is the stuff nightmares are made of. So it was with a certain excitement that I started reading I Hunt Kill
Jamie
Guilty confession: When I first started this, I was not expecting much. The summary left me skeptical to a good plot but I was determined to try because I had already heard lots of great things about the sequel to this one. What I can say now is that I am so glad I did. This book is so much more than what it seems on the surface!

As I began, I was torn or the style in which the story was presented. At first it seemed short and abrupt. Normally this would annoy me but after the first couple chapt
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Yeah, I enjoyed it. Is that good? ❤ ...more
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 4.5

A dark psychological thriller. I have to admit, this wasn't what I expected. Given the premise, I anticipated something more flimsy, something along the lines of Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective. I got a young Dexter/John Cleaver, with considerably more emotional baggage. This book works for me more as a psychological analysis than anything. Yeah, the plot is there, and it is good. The mystery kept me guessing and I loved seeing things through the eyes of the killer, but the p
Emily May
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Emily May by: Wendy Darling

Sequel, please? Now? I thought this book was really really good. I would have happily handed out five stars, except for the fact that I had the killer's identity figured out less than halfway through the book. I feel very sad that Ms Dense seems to have been randomly replaced with Marple, but thankfully this novel is about a lot more than just solving the main mystery.

I actually took longer to read this book than I tend to do, and most of that time was spent on the first few chapters. So I shal
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Jasper Dent is the most popular teenage boy in school. Wait! Not just in school but in the whole town although for the last reason you could think of. Well, he’s only the son of the most notorious killer, Billy Dent who kind of reminds me of Dennis Hopkins as Hannibal.

*Cowers*

*Shivers*

Billy has been locked up in prison for four years now but somebody, a fanboy? is copying one of his serial kills as the Artist and calls himself the Impressionist. What is Jasper Dent’s role in all of this?

Cou
Giselle
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, own, signed
"A serial killer's greatest ability is the ability to blend in"

I love being in the mind of a serial killer. Is this bizarre? Maybe a little. But with an older sister at home, I skipped the fairy tales, instead I grew up watching Freddy Krueger and reading murder mysteries. Naturally, I Hunt Killers immediately attracted my interest with its serial killer's son synopsis. Then when I removed the dust jacket and saw this:

We're here for a good time!

You have to admit, there is something fascinating
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Book 2 : Game ✬✬✬✬✬
Book 3 : Blood of my Blood ✬✬✬✬✬

The fact is, I love Dexter. Wait - I mean, early Dexter. Not the I-wonder-out-loud-while-doing-the-thing-I'm-wondering-out-loud-about-Dexter we're forced to stand in the end. What Dexter? Come on! See, everything is in the voice-over and Oh, dear. Don't get me started about the dumbest thing the show became in the end.

So, I loved Dexter. I love everything serial-killer related. Therefore I was prepared to love this book. It didn't disap
Gavin
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books
This was an entertaining YA thriller. It had a nice blend of mystery, action, and suspense.

We followed the exploits of 17 year old Jasper Dent, son of the worlds most notorious serial killer, as he tried to help the police in his local town hunt down a copycat killer of his father.

The story was interesting enough. Jasper was a decent lead character. He had a horrible childhood and his evil father had taught him to be just like him and so Jasper was worried that he himself was destined to becom
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
WHAT. FRESH. HELL.

Already partway into book two. Because this might be the first series since Hunger Games that I read back to back to back. Not that that's a big thing or anything.

If you put How to Get Away With Murder, Criminal Minds, and Law-Abiding Citizen into a blender, add a dash of Psych and a teen protagonist, something like this book would be the end result.

Gory at times but also completely fascinating, like my favorite shows/movies here.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Isamlq

HEY. YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO CROSS THE TAPE. THIS IS A CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION.

Oh who are we kidding...no one ever pays attention to warnings, especially book characters.

Our lead character Jasper (Jazz) is no exception. Except in his case, he is smarter than the average bear cop. After all, you might know a thing or two when your dad is one of the most famous serial killers of all time. His skills are bound to come in handy when hunting down a serial killer who is copying his dad's moves.

Welco
Mariah
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has been on my TBR forever, so I brought it on vacation with me so I'd finally read it. This book was nothing like what I expected, but I still really enjoyed it.

Jasper "Jazz" Dent is your average teenager. He still deals with trying to figure out who he is and what to do when your dating. The one problem that he faces that no other teenager faces is that his dad is the world's worst serial killer.

His dad brought him to work daily and showed him the ways of murdering and getting away
Poonam
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it

I was in two minds if I should pick this one so soon after reading the true crime story of Ted Bundy.

So this one has gore and can be icky at times but it has flashes of humor which was surprising.
The book is well balanced where the dark side is combined with the humorous tones of the writing.

I would still say it is a Dark read and to read this only if you can bear the sadistic workings of a killers mind.

The book is from the perspective of 17 yr old Jasper Dent who is the son of famou
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Combining two great genre's..Thriller (serial killer shit) and young adult. You would think I would be all over that. I was to a point.
Jasper Dent is one of the world's worst serial killers son. He isn't that family member who swears they never noticed anything being off about his dad. His dad trained him. Trained him to kill, and do it well.
Jasper does not want to end up like Dear Old Dad though, because People Matter.

He teams up with his best buddy Howie (who I simply adore) and his girlfrie
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Jasper “Jazz” Dent was raised by his father Billy, one of the world’s most violent serial killers. While other kids were riding bikes and playing, Jazz was taking care of his father’s murder trophies and learning how to become an invisible, invincible predator. When Jasper was twelve, Billy finally escalated and got caught by the local sheriff, G. William. Four years later, Jazz is still tormented by his father’s teachings, and his only goal is to escape Billy Dent’s legacy. He needs to remind h ...more
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
 photo jazz_zps2tcagzli.png

AGHH!!! Look how badass this is!!! Thanks, Frenchy Bug!! We take our pimp job seriously, you know....

Jazz was afraid of two things in the world, and two things only. One of them was that people thought that his upbringing meant that he was cursed by nature, nurture, and predestined to be a serial killer like his father.
The second thing...was that they were right.

EEEEEEE! This made me immensely happy....in a super sick, masochistic way. Like, really?? Why have I never heard about this book be
Kathe L
Reading about Jasper Dent, I realized I have a pattern. The characters that captivated me the most in the past months were Meg, from the Others series Conner Cobalt, from Fuel the fire, Lily, from Tin Lily, The Twins, from The Night Circus, Lucy, from More than Forever and Thomas, from The piper's son. What are the similarities between all of them? They are all characters who are mesmerizing to read about. They think differently and see normal situations in such a complex way, so different from ...more
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Confession time. I may have a thing for blood, gore, and chills galore. Ha! Who am I kidding? Bloodlust would be a better description! I grew up on horror films and Stephen King bed time stories. Soooo…When I saw I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga on the shelf, I lunged for it! A serial killer book for young adults with huge doses of humor and chills? Yes, please!

I’m going to sidetrack gush right out of the gate here on this book’s gorgeous, gorgeous, gory dressing. It made me so giddy I may have jum
♥Rachel♥
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I grew up in the hunting grounds of the Richard Ramirez, aka The Nightstalker, an infamous serial killer from the 1980’s. Our home was even painted in the colors that he preferred, so my sister and I would stay up late and scare ourselves silly with the possibilities. But even before all of this, I’ve always been fascinated with murder mysteries, so when I Hunt Killers came out my interest was immediately piqued. A story centered on the son of one of the most horrific serial killers in history? ...more
Katherine
description
"You'll be the greatest ever...They'll never catch you. You'll be the new boogeyman parents use to scare their kids into behaving. You'll make everyone forget Speck and Dahmer and even Jack the Goddamn Ripper. My boy. My boy."

This book is one sick, twisted, ride. And I enjoyed every damn second of it.

It’s not easy being a teenager; Jasper “Jazz” Dent knows this. But it’s a thousand times harder when you’re the son of the most infamous serial killer in history. You see, Jasper’s father Billy ki
Annika
description

First of all, let me say this:
Though it is shelved as such, I Hunt Killers is not a Young Adult novel. The book implies rape and contains graphic violence and brutal murders. Definitely not suited for anyone under the age of 16.

___________________

Now that that's settled...

I have a love/hate relationship with thrillers. On the one hand, I love the suspense, the guessing, the adrenaline. On the other hand... I hate the suspense, the guessing, the adrenaline. I don't deal well with not knowing what
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are few YA books not only told in the point of view of a boy, but a boy like Jasper Dent, who's father was a notorious serial killer and since birth, was raised to be one as well.

I can't even begin to tell you how amazing this book was. From the writing, to the execution, down to the very characters themselves, you never knew what was what. Was Jasper (Jazz) just like his father or was he different? Was he just a boy trying to be good or a killer waiting to break out of his shell and beco
Crowinator
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of teen sleuths, psychological horror, and Criminal Minds
First Line: “By the time Jazz got to the field outside town, yellow police tape was everywhere, strung from stake to stake in a sort of drunken, off-kilter hexagon.”

Cover Story: Night Prowler
“I'm your Night Prowler, break down your door
I'm your Night Prowler, crawling 'cross your floor
I'm your Night Prowler, make a mess of you, yes I will
Night Prowler, and I am telling this to you
There ain't nothing you can do” – AC/DC

Five-Sentence Summary:
Jasper “Jazz” Dent wants nothing more than to be left a
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
I Hunt Killers is dark, disturbing, claustrophobic and risky. It's also a reminder of what GOOD YA fiction used to be like (with some notable exceptions) until it got dumbed-down by authors and/or publishers who seem to operate under the (mistaken) assumption that teens need to be talked down to and the stories need to be more simplistic. This is a YA novel with teeth, in turns psychologically creepy with well-placed moments of humor and humanity. Barry Lyga crafted the ultimate outsider, the so ...more
Spider the Doof Warrior
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of great characters. I love Jasper. I love how strong and smart Connie is and how off the wall Howie is.

And man, is Jazz's dad evil. He does love his son, but dang. He's horrible! He's trying to turn Jazz into a copy of him. A serial killer like him. Jazz struggles with his messed up childhood and trying to resolve all of these issues. He doesn't want to follow in his father's footsteps. He'd rather prevent murder than be a murderer.

This book is a YA version of Dexter in a way,
Misty
There are always times when you think the concept of a book is so interesting and potentially awesome that you're sure you're going to be let down when you read it.  It's some little failsafe in our brains, preparing us for disappointment because we're pretty sure we're going to be let down.  And then, when that doesn't happen, and we actually get what we are hoping for - there's this moment of shock.  It's a little thrilling, actually.  And it's all the more special for being rare.
Thankfully -
Mimi Valentine
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

It's hard to imagine how a serial killer's mind works. But Barry Lyga must have some sort of shady part time job or at least serial killer mind-reading powers, because this book is BRILLIANT.

Jazz — son of the most notorious serial killer, snarky teenager, and overall charmer — takes the phrase dark hero to extremes! Being brought up by his psychotic father, he has How To Be A Good Serial Killer lessons ingrained on his brain. Sometimes they help him figure out other cas
Wanda
After a summer of reading and enjoying children’s literature, I suddenly find that I am being pulled towards the dark side. My library holds are coming in and there is a definite theme developing! First it was In Cold Blood, now there’s this young adult novel I Hunt Killers.

Teenager Jasper Dent (known to his friends as Jazz) was raised by notorious serial killer Billy Dent, who did his best to make his son into Satan’s little helper. Billy is in jail at this point and Jazz is living with his bat
Fanny
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it

Aun sigo sin creer que con lo que me gusta a mi los thrillers haya tardado tanto tiempo en conocer ( y leer ) esta serie, puesto que I Hunt Killers es totalmente mi tipo de libro.

Desde que hace un par de meses leyera el ultimo thriller publicado de Jennifer L. Armentrout, no habia encontrado otra novela similar que me llamara la atencion, por eso cuando me encontre con esta saga casi salto de la alegria.

I Hunt Killers fue justamente lo que esperaba cuando lei su sinopsis, una historia morbosa,
  • How to Lead a Life of Crime
  • The Book of Blood and Shadow
  • Scowler
  • Dark Eyes (Dark Eyes, #1)
  • Boy Nobody (The Unknown Assassin, #1)
  • Croak (Croak, #1)
  • Stupid Fast (Stupid Fast, #1)
  • Leverage
  • The Butterfly Clues (Lost Girls, #1)
  • Don't Turn Around (PERSEF0NE, #1)
  • Personal Effects
  • Ripper
  • Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls
  • Fury
  • Kill Switch
  • Kindness for Weakness
  • Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)
  • Lost Girls
Barry Lyga is a recovering comic book geek. According to Kirkus, he's also a "YA rebel-author." Somehow, the two just don't seem to go together to him.

When he was a kid, everyone told him that comic books were garbage and would rot his brain, but he had the last laugh. Raised on a steady diet of comics, he worked in the comic book industry for ten years, but now writes full-time because, well, wou
More about Barry Lyga

Jasper Dent (3 books)
  • Game (Jasper Dent, #2)
  • Blood of My Blood (Jasper Dent, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“You won't even know you've crossed the line until it's way back in your rearview mirror.” 140 likes
“This is why I forgive, but I don't forget. When you forget someone, the forgiveness doesn't mean anything anymore.” 95 likes