Start by marking “Birds of North America” as Want to Read:
Birds of North America

Birds of North America

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  519 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The first field guides to place illustrations, text, and maps all on one page, Golden Field Guides from St. Martin's Press are easy to use, easy to understand, and easy to carry. They make quick identification easy with unique features including:
-- Comparison pages for confusing look-alikes
-- Authoritative text
-- Uncomplicated format
-- Handy, lightweight format for field
Published February 15th 1990 by Golden Guides from St. Martin's Press (first published 1966)

Allie Traestar
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best bird book ever. It is in a order in which it is easy to find the bird you seek. You can see all the defining marks on the bird in full color, without any individual oddities like you get with pictures. The bird paintings also have all the plumage variations, and are usually grouped with other birds of similar color, within reason (example; all the grey warblers with yellow bellies are together.) I have yet to find a book it's equal that has both it's practical use and beauty.
Bob
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
Compact, revolutionary when published. I still like it for:
-sonagrams which picture the songs as they would appear on an oscilloscope - an aid to remembering, when you don't have a device to play the songs/calls or don't want to take the time
- isochronal lines on range maps to show migration timing.
Alison
May 16, 2011 added it
Shelves: birds
My talisman! Unfortunately I've had to stop taking it out into the field, because the edition I have is now too out of date, but I will always keep this one.
Rick
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great starter ID guide. Includes migration schedules, song transcriptions, and juvenile identification. There may be stronger guides out there but this has served me well for many years.
Scott
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
of all the bird books out there, i feel this is the best you can get.
Jeff Shaner
Jul 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the bird books this is one of the best, seek it, find it!
Barbara
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love birds and this book has really helped me identify and learn about the birds in my neighborhood. The size allows you to pack it into your purse or bag so that you always have it handy. This is my Bird Bible!
Sheri Williamson
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I had used library copies of A Field Guide to the Birds of Texas: and Adjacent States, this is was the first field guide that I actually owned. Its user-friendly format, combining illustrations, text, and maps in two-page spreads, set a new visual standard that most field guides follow to this day.

Not all of the authors' innovations have been as widely adopted, which is a shame. None of the current crop of bird guides includes sonograms to help users visualize songs and calls, and only A
Susan
Who would have thought the publishers of the Little Golden Books that I read as a child also publishes a fantastic field guide for bird identification?

I use many field guides for work and play and this is one of the best I have come across. It gives detailed descriptions about the birds, maps of their ranges (including migration, etc.), and beautiful, accurate illustrations of male, female, and young (where there are differences). This book also gives information that is key to many bird identif
Diane Fogel
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bird lovers
Recommended to Diane by: Grandma C
I love and cherish this book! It is copyright dated 1966. It was passed down to me by my grandmother before she moved to Ohio. I love looking up birds in it to this day. I think of her every time I look through it. She bough it in May 1978 brand new. It is one of the things I have that I have that she wrote her name and address on, (other than cherished letters). She wrote the month and year she bought the book on it as well. When I was a child growing up and went to visit her, she would tell me ...more
Foxtower
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: florafauna
This book has so many great illustrations it's fun just to look trough it! Unfortunately as far a accurately idetifying which sparrow I'm actually looking at... well, not so much. The book includes little maps that indicate where each species typically live so at the very least I won't identify a western sparrow as in my Eastern back yard.
Helen
Jun 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
I wouldn't say I have READ this book so much as used it to identify birds. It is a field guide to identification. Much more useful anywhere but Houston. I say it belongs under gardening only because that is when you might have the most chance of seeing a bird here. Otherwise I should create a birding shelf.
Rose Blum
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book in 1981 ~ it is falling apart so seriously that I just display it on my shelf. This book was my first really useful birding guide. I am now well into my bird life list, am the Compiler for our Audubon Christmas Bird Count, and now do a local Breeding Bird Survey for USGS. I highly recomment thsi birding guide!!!!!
Annette
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We refer to this book on a daily basis. It is easy to understand, easy to use, and easy to teach with. Our daughter identified her first birds using this book; a white faced ibis, and a male common yellowthroat. This was the first book she followed our lead and wrote in. We have several copies including the one in the car.
Pj
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Old-time favorite! (1966 version) Not actual photos of birds, true and accurate artistry!
What this book offers (newer ones don't) are the 'bird sonagrams' or the patterns of the bird songs!Also, description of eggs. Again, many newer bird books do not offer that.
Bobbi
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was my first bird book more than 40 years ago. I'll always keep it because it was my first and it contains my life list in the back. It's still a great guide, but I'll have to go with Sibley's as my choice now. A little better in helping with bird characteristics and bird songs.
Bookwyrmgyrl
This is my favorite field guide for birds, although it is bulky to pack when compared to the smaller field guides. I was lucky to come upon this one at the Goodwill. I've looked for it at Border's but they don't even offer it!
Jayden E
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I thought Birds of North America was an excellent book. It was probably the best book I have read so far. It has lots of bird species and other things. I think animal lovers or bird watchers should read this book. Plus It’s a really good book for people who read slow It reads pretty fast.
Maura
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all ages!
Wonderful pictures of all stages. Have been reading this book since childhood.
Judy
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first field guide that I used, and I still find myself referring to it. The kids have asked if I want a new copy, but I love my battered book of "memories."
Fredrick Danysh
Compact identification guide to American birds with color photos and drawings.
Judi
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I inherited this book from my mil, who used it and made notes on her bird sightings. I use it a lot at home, the birds are easy to identify and the illustrations helpful.
Lee Stoe
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I use this book regularly to identify birds at my feeders or in the field.
Bert Klimas
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my go-to book for identifying birds. Illustrations, text and maps indicating seasonal and migratory locations make it easy to narrow down what bird I'm looking at.
Bill
Believe it or not, I've never previously owned this field guide.
John Cowan
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, accurate color illustrations make this a very good guide when spotting birds!
Alice
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have had this book for a few years , Great reference guide !!
Eleanor
the 1966 edition. i do wonder what has evolved since then.
Angie
I've used this book for bird identification for quite a long time, and think it is very useful. Bought a second-copy so I can keep one in the truck & take the other with me when I travel.
Brian
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I quite literally grew up with this, and didn't know how lucky I was till I saw other guides years later. Still an excellent resource, despite inevitable changes in populations over nearly 50 years.
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds
  • Hawks in Flight: The Flight Identification of North American Migrant Raptors
  • Birder's Handbook: A Field Guide to the Natural History of North American Birds
  • The Sibley Guide to Birds
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region
  • Birds of North America
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guides)
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies
  • A Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico
  • Readers Digest North American Wildlife
  • The Crossley ID Guide: Eastern Birds
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • Birds of America