Start by marking “Too Many Fairies: A Celtic Tale” as Want to Read:
Too Many Fairies: A Celtic Tale

Too Many Fairies: A Celtic Tale

An old woman is at her wit's end when a troop of fairies won't stop cleaning her house.

Published March 1st 2010 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about Too Many Fairies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Many Fairies

Set
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very CUTE Celtic story about brownie fairies that come to help a woman that shirks about her work.
Elaine Budner
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely tale!

My granddaughter Penny and I read this book at bedtime! We had fun! The artwork is very pretty. We enjoyed this book very much. My granddaughter dictated this review!
Vivian
Mar 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Our pre-school story time crowd enjoyed standing up and doing the actions suggested in this picture book. (There were nearly sixty children in one session and thirty-five in another session. We don't have sign-ups, name-tags, or age-breaks. The littlest ones sit on laps and the others fill our decorative area rug).

We pantomimed "knocking at the door" by clicking our tongues and tapping a fist against the other hand. We "washed dishes" by rolling our hands while repeating "clankety, clankety, cla
Amy
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I don't really know what to say about this one. It was kind of weird. I just couldn't identify with this old lady at all. If fairies came in and did my housework for me, they could be as loud as they wanted to be. That's what earplugs are for!

The kids listened to this one, and seemed to enjoy it ok, but there wasn't too much reaction from them. It's a good book for reading aloud for sounds, though.
Donalyn
A fun "fairy" story with repetition and onomatopoeia that will appeal to young readers and encourage participation during read alouds. Nice message about the value of doing your own work, too.
Onna
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was really funny! The art was so cute too! The cat's face on one page had me laughing so hard lol.
Sue Mosher
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun story with repetition about a woman who hates her housework, but doesn't think much of fairies either.
Sandy
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute story about not complaining. My child liked the artwork more than the tale (as she put it "do my chores and I won't care if you're loud".
Arlene Wilson-Grant
Oh, how I love the story!

It makes my heart flutter because the fairies are so cute!!! That's why I love them!!! And the old lady.
Heather Jo
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Elizabeth Bergin
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
An old woman is complaining about doing housework when a fairy shows up at her front door to do the work for her. As the woman continues to complain, more fairies show up. Soon, the fairies won't leave her alone--they continually mess up what they've cleaned so they can keep cleaning. Can the old lady find a way to get the fairies to leave? "Too Many Fairies" is a newer version of an old Celtic tale. The story is simple and easy for kids to read and understand because some sections repeat. This ...more
Courtney
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edutl-2368
MacDonald, M. (2010). Too Many Fairies: A Celtic Tale. New York: Marshall Cavendish Company.

Illustrated by Susan Mitchell

Adapted from a Celtic tale, this story is about an old woman who, after complaining about all the chores she has to do is visited by several fairies who do the housework for her. But when the old woman becomes irritated by the fairies, she cannot get them to leave and must visit the village wise woman for instructions on how to get the fairies to leave.

I thought this book was
Millie Simonds
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: folk
This book is a great book to use in the classroom when studying folk tales. It is a Celtic Tale by Margaret Read MacDonald which I think is pretty unique because I haven't seen many celtic books on the shelves. It is illustrated by Susan Mitchell. This story also was a good story for teaching a moral lesson about complaining too much. I really think that children would respond well to this book because it has beautiful pictures to go along with the story. It is also one of the more kid friendly ...more
Jasmine Bowman
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Sarah BT
Mar 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Anyone who has chores and housework will appreciate this tale! The fairies are trying to be helpful, but when the woman decides she's had enough, the fairies can't stop. They finish the chore they are working on and just take the bed apart or make the dishes messy and start all over, noise and all.

I don't know if I'd mind some fairies stopping by my house to help with my housework, but like the old woman, maybe the noise would be too much. And do you really want fairies all over your house? The
Laura Sims
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Here is a picture book taking a Celtic folk tale and presenting it in a delightful way. The pictures are fun and evoke a feeling of old-time charm. A woman complains about having too much work to do. When some fairies come to lighten her load, she discovers that the noise and mess (demonstrated through a clever use of onomatopoeia) is not worth the trouble, and seeks the help of a local wise woman to help get rid of the fairies. Charmingly illustrated in watercolor, the vibrant colors bring the ...more
Sarah Rostkowski
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
This Book would be for ages 4-6. its an easy reader and kids would be able to understand it. Too Many FAiries is about an old woman who complaints about her housework, comes in the shape of crazy-cleaning fairies who as soon as they have washed the dishes, swept the floor, made the bed and done the knitting, undo all their work so they can start again. The village wise woman gives the old woman the right advice to both get rid of the fairies and stop her complaints.

this book had many bright colo
Sandra Stiles
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once an old woman was cleaning her house when she began to grumble about all of the work. A fairy knocked on her door and took over her chore. Every time the old woman started a new chore and then grumbled a new fairy knocked and took over. Soon there were too many fairies in the house and they were driving the old lady nuts, because they refused to leave. How will she ever get rid of all of these fairies?
I received a copy to facilitate my review. The opinions expressed here are my own.
Barbara
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Did you ever grumble about doing housework? The old lady in this story does and something very unexpected happens. Fairies appear to do the housework for her. But not is all as rosy as it seems. Read this fun, folktale-inspired book before doing spring cleaning. It is sure to be a winner for whiners! Ages 3+.
Sandee
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We liked the story a lot. The illustrations are rich and vibrant and the fairies are so cute. It is folklore so it is expected that cultural influences may make it a little weird for some. It's a story with a lesson and my toddlers give it a double thumbs up.
Dolly
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful Celtic folktale that is fun and also discourages complaining about chores. Perfect for parents to read aloud with their children! The rhyming and repetition of the fairies' ditty, the onomatopoeia and the colorful illustrations are very engaging for children.
Rebecca
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Cute illustrations, but it's the story that shines in this book. The repetition and sound effects would make this a great participation story, even better if told sans book, like at a campfire or class visit.
Briana
Four stars for the colorful, engaging, and fun illustrations!

Plus, there is a cottage and fairies. Snarky little fairies!

A unique tale, though I found the authors translation to be a bit...meh.
Amanda
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
The pictures were cute, but bordered on a little too twee... But the story had a great structure, lots of action words (I love me some onamonapia action). The use of repetitive phrases was also well done and the story had a good rhythm to it. Would be a good story to tell with props.
Heather
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This brightly illustrated picture book has an important message to teach - do your chores and don't complain.
Susan
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love it - definitely want to learn it to tell. Fun!
Chinasa Izeogu
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
great selection to use on kids who grumble about doing their chores.
Lucas
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm doing this as a kiddy lit piece for forensics. It's awesome. I get the GOLD MEDAL every time!
Beverly
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very funny story; darling watercolor illustrations. Good for story time.
Teri
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manners
Very fun book about NOT complaining! :)

• Love and Roast Chicken: A Trickster Tale from the Andes Mountains
  • For Just One Day
  • Goodnight, Little Monster
  • The 3 Little Dassies

Biography
Dr. Margaret Read MacDonald travels the world telling stories....always on the lookout for more great folktales to share. She shapes these found stories into tellable tales which anyone can share with ease. Filling her folktale collections with these delightful tales, she creates perfect read alouds for you and your family. MRM wants everyone to experience the joy of a beautifully