Start by marking “Book of Blues” as Want to Read:
Book of Blues

Book of Blues

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  1,019 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Best known for his "Legend of Duluoz" novels, including On the Road and The Dharma Bums, Jack Kerouac is also an important poet. In these eight extended poems, Kerouac writes from the heart of experience in the music of language, employing the same instrumental blues form that he used to fullest effect in Mexico City Blues, his largely unheralded classic of postmodern lite ...more
Published September 1995 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Book of Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Blues

Eddie Watkins
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Jack Kerouac reminds me of my father-in-law a little, though my father-in-law’s hands are ever working with drywall, fiberglass, salvaged wood scraps, and various buckets of construction slops rather than with words. They both, however, swill(ed) bourbon like mother’s milk.

But the true substance of this comparison is their sensuous sloppiness coupled with an emotional apprehension of the world that can slip into the maudlin exposing a raw sensitivity that often masks itself in devil-may-care bo
Natasha Lasky
Jul 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
ok guys gonna b real w u all: these were bad poems. It reads like ur favorite problematic art boy got drunk and decided to re-write ulysses but with a halfhearted appropriation of "jazz." I'm a little sad I didn't really "get" this but in all honesty I'm actually kind of angry this book exists. Like whatever kerouac I'm glad ur trying shit out and writing angsty poems about hot girls in your notebooks. But also like do we have to find every last unpublished notebook full of bullshit kerouac wrot ...more
JJ Lehmann
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My first Kerouac book...I actually stole this book. Shh, don't tell anyone...oops.
Mat
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: beat
Hmmmmm........tough call.
I think this is one of those books that divides the bona fide Kerouac fan from the Kerouac freak. Come to think of it, I probably used to belong to the latter category but now most probably belong to the former category.
Like with so many of Kerouac's poetry collections, there are highs and lows. Even in his largely unheralded classic Mexico City Blues, some pages are disappointing. Is this the best the King of the Beats has to offer, I wondered at times. But here I must
Taylor Church
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mary Karr, the ex-girlfriend of my arguably (the argument is in my own head) favorite author David Foster Wallace wrote : “Such a small, pure object a poem could be, made of nothing but air, a tiny string of letters, maybe small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. But it could blow everybody’s head off.”

I think many poems would in fact blow everyone’s heads off, if more people were apt to read poetry. Sadly, some of the finest works of art are lost—lost not because they are buried or stolen,
Nativeabuse
Nov 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
I like Kerouac's books, I like Ginsbergs poetry, I love Burroughs, I love avant-garde poetry. So I was expecting to enjoy this.

But this was the worst poetry I have ever read in my entire life. I honestly don't understand all these high ratings at all.

It is hard to describe, It isn't all terrible, but a majority of it is. Most of it looks like the guy was trying to do cutups, and then when you realize he wasn't and he was seriously trying to write poetry about the streets of these cities it makes
Donald
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
While I love Kerouac's prose, I am not a fan of his poetry. This collection did nothing to change that. However, I did like the first batch in here, the 80 choruses titled "San Francisco Blues ". The San Francisco in here is not the one that the tourists see. It's battered and dreary, filled with drunks, whores, and the weary working man. That all struck a chord with me. The rest of the poems did not, some seemingly just gibberish to my eyes.
Judo  Livingspree
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I needed piano and drums in the background for these poems that should be read aloud.
John
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of folks who may just not 'get' this, and that's OK. Looking back through the eyes of the 21st century, it's sometimes difficult for people to grasp, but the key here is the rhythm, the blues, the cant that's used, the gaps, and above all the clearly defined limitations of how he composed these poems:
"In my system, the form of blues choruses is limited by the small page of the breastpocket notebook in which they are written, like the form of a set number of bars in a jazz blues
Michael Hattem
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've always felt that Kerouac's poetry was highly underrated since his prose is so celebrated. Kerouac attempted to be as free as one can possibly be in a prose setting, but in his poems he didn't have to try so hard because of the form. And it shows. Personally, I feel some of his best writing is contained in a few of these blues poems and in Mexico City Blues. Some of it rivals and/or surpasses any of Ginsberg's non-Howl/Kaddish/Fall of America poems. And that's saying something. I think Kerou ...more
Amanda Butler
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I wanted to give this book five stars, but ultimately I docked a star for problematic content, including sexism, and racist and homophobic slurs.

One can either “get” these poems, or not. Most of these poems are glances into Kerouac’s head, and are quite beautiful descriptions, both in their prose and their blunt form.

Other poems are just tacky; talking about “interesting rapes” and “keep that daughter/ away from my knees/ after she’s thirteen.” Violence against women is thus turned into a casual
Phil
Dec 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am not a big fan of Kerouac, but I was very pleased with this book. His method of composing words around music and jazz I found translated very well in his poetry. The fact that it didnt seem that he was trying to be a poet gave his verse that much more of a resonance that I feel is missing in much of his prose. All that being said, it would be hard to get a feel for this book without already being familiar with at least some of his prose for it is very intimate and needs a little background. ...more
Samantha Albala
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jack Kerouac's Book of Blues was a wonderful collection of thoughts and clippings from traveling experiences. I felt a connection when reading these pieces. I would say some are vulgar and do not speak to me quite as much, but I did find joy and love, feeling like I was walking some streets with him. If you are new to his poetry I would recommend you start here. I haven't read anything as wonderful yet!
JJ
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I bought this to be a very fun kick around read and it turned out to work great for that. It was uplifting to read a few of Kerouac's choruses at any time and they really made me pay attention to detail.

This was the first book I wrote in. Different things that he spoke about which I wanted to read more about.

Also served as a good inspiration for my own writing. Just to experience his flow of thoughts at your own pacing was cool enough.

Nick
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, poetry
I can't decide the voice in which I hear his poems - sometimes its direct and straight forward, similar to how I hear Neruda in my head. Other times its my voice. And sometimes its the cliche male rasp over minimalist jazz. The fluidity of style and language here is mesmerizing, and the verse structure he creates instills an important rhythm that helps hold the poems together within a given section.
Joe Sullivan
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Offered both inspiration and frustration at times. When Kerouac writes "gibberish" - sounds or words phonetically broken apart, it can be a turn-off. Also when he attempts to write in street vernacular. He's one of the most uneven writers, in both prose and poetry. He's got a sense of play like ee cummings, but it can be too much. In this book, the good and bad alternated, but his experimentation is admirable.
Sophie
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
my first contact with kerouac's work and i decided to start by reading his poems. some may say that i should have read his novels beforehand, as his strength is in his prose, yet i beg to differ. i think his poems are filled with rhythm and musicality. it certainly was the best way to get sucked into his literary route.
Natalie
Aug 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
*1.25
Some of the poems from this collection that I liked (because I didn't love any) are: San Francisco Blues-14th Chorus, 32nd Chorus, 35th Chorus, 36th Chorus, 42nd Chorus, 52nd Chorus, Any Time, Horror, I Know (which is the reason I forgive his poetry), Desolation Blues- 11th Chorus, 12th Chorus.
Kyle Chidester
Dec 19, 2010 marked it as to-read
i like to just thumb through this book every once in awhile. not really something on would sit down & read from one cover to the other, they could, but its not necessarily meant to be, & certainly not requied.
Matt
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
"Desolation Blues", yes, please.
Gene Wagendorf III
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Don't get me wrong, I do really love my Kerouac, but this book is ridiculously hit or miss. Kerouac's strength is in his prose, go read that.
Mike Welsh
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Tough to read beat-nik poetry. Meant to be heard.
Uncle
Jun 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: myfavorites
fun-filled, old-time-jazz filled poetry
m. soria
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
some of his most famous poems are part of this collection, poems that you can read with his voice in your head, because there exist recordings of them.
Madison Holland
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fantastic
Evan Gray
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Don't skip the introduction to this book! Bob Creely sets this book up perfectly by explaining the terms in which it came about and how it should be read.
Tonya
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I don't know what I was expecting, but this was not it. It was an interesting read. It was hard to follow at times, but worth the time to read it.
Jason
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
read through San Francisco Blues (my favorite), Richmond Hill Blues, Bowery Blues, MacDougal Street Blues, & Desolation Blues.

Nick Sklias
Portend
Pretend
Fortune
For Free The I in the End.
Matthew Stolte
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked Desolation Blues the best. Then some poems after that Blues. I guess the book is sold at fiction price because it is fiction shape. Kerouac writes "go jump in the lake" so I will, child.
  • Collected Poems 1947-1997
  • Desolate Angel: Jack Kerouac, The Beat Generation, And America
  • Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
  • Subterranean Kerouac: The Hidden Life of Jack Kerouac
  • Hip Logic
  • King Arthur's Death: The Middle English Stanzaic Morte Arthur and Alliterative Morte Arthure
  • Screams from the Balcony
Jack Kerouac was born Jean-Louis Lebris de Kerouac on March 12, 1922, in Lowell, Massachusetts. Jack Kerouac's writing career began in the 1940s, but didn't meet with commercial success until 1957, when On the Road was published. The book became an American classic that defined the Beat Generation. Kerouac died on October 21, 1969, from an abdominal hemorrhage, at age 47.

More about Jack Kerouac...

“It's okay, girl, we'll make it till the sun goes down forever. And until then what you got to lose but the losing? We're fallen angels who didn't believe that nothing means nothing.” 38 likes
“Bein Crazy
is the least of my worries.”
32 likes