Start by marking “Dark Magick (Sweep, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dark Magick (Sweep, #4)

Dark Magick

(Wicca #4)

Evil forces are after Morgan, forces connected with a dark wave of magick. And she knows that something is wrong with the way Cal is acting. He is definitely hiding something, but is he out to hurt her, as Hunter says?
Published June 25th 2001 by Speak

This was an okay story although the pace made it drag a bit, even though it wasn’t very long. We got some real revelations about Cal in this book, and this pair ended this book in a very different place to where they started it. I always thought that (view spoiler)

6 out of 10
Julie Zantopoulos
Finally, this series is picking up in plot and character development I've been a bit annoyed with Morgan in past books but this one she finally comes into her power/strength and is more confident. I appreciate that she's seeing through what was clear to me for the last few books...that people weren't what they seemed. I'm definitely looking forward to finding out what happens next and these audiobooks are so quick and easy to consume. Yup...I'm hooked.
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
The end of book three was intense and bewildering. Obviously, Cal controls Morgan, it's not a real love, I think that's why Hunter and Sky sigils her house so maybe she can see. I can't believe that Cal and Morgan might have killed Hunter, I suspect that he might be Morgan's soulmate!

So Hunter thankfully isn't dead, Morgan is so happy and relived she didn't kill him, unlike Cal who wishes they did. Morgan start seeing things in Cal she didn't like, when he tries to sleep with her, she can't do i
Loren
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teenagers
Cal, how could you? How could you! *spoilers*

I don't think Morgan was wrong about not forgiving Cal for his betrayals. I would have forgiven him though, were it me.
Okay, i'm a guy so i'm biased but to Cal's credit:

He really loved her, he was willing to do anything to protect Morgan from his mother; kill her (a litttle extreme), sacrifice himself (which does happen) etc.

We were completely on Cal's side, the reader feels safe when they're around Cal. Things are less complicated; Hunter/Sky-bad peo
quinnster
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
This girl's idiocy knows no bounds it seems.

When she goes to Practical Magick and David asks her who she can trust and she replies that she can trust herself. Her own instincts told her to run when Cal mentioned people who wanted to meet her. Her own instincts told her to get out of his secret room because the vibrations were bad, yet she thinks Hunter is 'misguided'. Any information anyone gives her she takes as they just don't know even though they've been witches their whole lives and she's b
Chibineko
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I do have to give the reader a potential warning: if you thought that you were addicted to the series before, you most certainly will be after reading this book!!

The story once again picks up on the very tail end of the previous book. In order to save her boyfriend, Morgan had to attack someone. Understandably traumatized, Morgan starts to distance herself from her boyfriend Cal after the event. When she begins to grow suspect of Selene & Cal's intentions, Morgan finds that almost everythin
Abbie
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a few times in this where I felt quite bored, and I had to have a bit of a break from it as it was starting to drag. It was an okay read overall though.
Leoni Dempsey
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read in the series - 4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐ read! Loved finding out the truth about Cal and Selene’s dark motives and exploring more about Hunter’s background! Let’s see what book 5 has to offer! 😁 ...more
JonRaven
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read in 2017
Read in 2015
Read in 2009
Read in 2003

Where to begin!!! Its words leave one jarring among the expansive range of emotive paradoxes brewing in its wake.

-------------------------
But first, a brief preface about repetition: It is often the publisher who requires the author to repeat things book after book,. Try to ignore any repetition with that in mind. Animorphs are another stark example of this requirement. Additionally, author J.F Lewis once apologized to me when I critiqued him on h
Kate
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I took my time with this one. I didn’t want to get burn out on the series. But make no mistake, this one didn’t disappoint. It was just as thrilling and suspenseful as the other three were. Things are coming to light now and I’m anxious to read the next book. ❤ ...more
Myra
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This review is originally posted on my blog:

Expectations

I've been trying to keep interested in this story, but somehow I've been putting this book down a lot. I don't know why, maybe it's because the story-line is a little dragging without something really happening. So far, the spells aren't that interesting. I hope the rest of the book is more action packed with a better plot development.

Review

So I will try to describe my feelings about this book. I tri
Annette M Guerriero Nishimoto
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Today’s review is on Dark Magick by Cate Tiernan

Dark Magick is the 4th book in Tiernan’s Sweep series and I have to say that with each book I read in the series the more I enjoy them.

In Dark Magick Morgan finds out that Cal and his mother are also Woodbane witches and that they practice “traditional” magick. Traditional meaning that they practice dark magick. She also learns that Cal has been helping his mother find other Woodbane witches to join her coven. His job was to find the female witches
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Sep 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans, Urban Fantasy fans, Fantasy fans, Science Fiction fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: Goodreads
Ah so I see that Cal's true colors have been revealed. I swear that I saw this coming since the introduction of Selene in book 1. I knew something wasn't right with that woman. She was to fake and syrupy.
I feel really bad for Morgan, but at the same time I don't at all, for falling for Cal. For some reason I'm so reminded of Patch from Hush, Hush. There really isn't something right with the fiction for young adults. Do girls really find these situations romantic or attractive?
 photo mlfw4779_medium_zpse9af3923.jpg
Shelves: hard-copies
Grace the Book Queen
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I didn't like this one as much as the last one, but we finally get some answers!!! And lots of character and plot development!! Also, Hunter!!!!!!! I love that boy and he's my new favorite character now. Can't wait for the next one 😄
Jeanette
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pn-uf, own-read
Very fast paced. This is where the action happens. :)
Samantha
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read these books in high school and I thought I would have fun re-reading them. They're nice and quick to read. The writing is not the best but it's been pretty nice revisiting this world.
Suzanne
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Getting more interesting now that Morgan knows her boyfriend Cal & his brother Hunter aren't as she thought they were. Cal isn't the great guy she believed & Hunter isn't the monster she thought.
Her friendship with Bree is recovering because of these new events and her knowledge is increasing about her heritage.
Whitney
Plot

We’re actually getting some plot! Yay! And it only took three whole books! (sarcasm) The plot is interesting, but not terribly unique. Morgan is powerful and evil people want her strength. Read it a million times. It’ll be interesting to see what Tiernan actually does with this plotline. I’m sad that it took forever and a day for the actual story to begin.

Writing

I’ve noticed that Tiernan has a bad thing with repetition. How many times is Mary K. surrounded by friends after leaving Das Boot?
Daniela
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!! Ohhhh, Cal, you're an evil evil little witch! I knew he was bad news from the beginning, and this story just nailed it for all of us. I have to say, as much as I had a bad feeling about him, I was still hoping & secretly rooting for him, that he was not a bad guy. But, with a mother like Selene, who could blame him?

Book #4 and I'm so engrossed with this series, that I've read three books just today alone. I didn't think I'd enjoy them, as much am I am.

This
Alana
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: q32009
Level 1:
what coven does morgan belong to? morgans mother was from a long line of woodbanes so naturally that was morgans heritage. however, morgans mother was from belwicket, the clan that renounced evil.

What is the name of morgans car? Das boots

Who puts spells on morgans house? Sky and Hunter walk around Morgans house and puts spells and runes, but morgan doesnt' know why.

Level 2:
Why did Morgans parents not tell her she was adopted all these years?
Her parents adopted her when she was 8 months o
Chelsea Barva-kertesz
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jodie
i love this series! It is seriously all i can think about. I mean while going to sleep, in my dreams, even in the shower i think of Cal, Morgan, Hunter, Robbie, Bree, Sky, Raven & the rest of the crew. I am just upset i can't find these books in stock at any local bookstores. I've been borrowinf from the library but someone lost Spellbound so i'm upset i can't find it anywhere. I am about to order it off the internet NOW!! Seriouly if you are an avid reader like me (for instance other than m ...more
Kirsti
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
HA! (view spoiler) This series only gets better and better.

The characters are really developing, especially Morgan. She needs to learn more, and I hope she gets some better teachers (David and Alyce for example)

Here we have twists and turns and a great deal of mystery. We have history too, and a deeper knowledge of what's going on.

It's still not enough though, this book ends with a cliffhanger
Stefanie
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh Cal... how could you???
:`-(

It was gripping and thrilling. Very entertaining and interesting. The whole situation has changed now. And in the end, Bree came to save Morgan. At least something good!
I am still not sure what to think about Hunter, I know everyone who read the whole series loves Hunter, so I am VERY curious how it goes on now...
But now I gotta go, I have to read Book #5!
Bye!
;)
Christy
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
With each new book in the series, I become more invested with the characters. I just can't put these books down and now that I know the Gaelic names for some of them I feel even more caught up in the story. The story has me sitting on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next. On my way to grab book 5!
Desiree M ~*~*~ LiveReadCollect
4 stars.

Another reread, I ended up liking this one a lot better than the previous ones. We have some movement and interesting things happening.

Finally Morgan was asking questions about Cal.

The audiobook was really good, the same narrator as the previous ones. The ending just makes me want to pick up the next book. Hopefully my library has the next audiobook.
Sanne
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
loved this one!! the best so far
Suzie
This book is by far the best of the series so far. The plot has taken a turn to the dark side and I do so love the dark
Book Discussions ...: * Dark Magick 2 3 Mar 16, 2013 05:53PM

• Initiation (Circle of Three, #15)
  • Witches' Key to Terror
  • Last Dance (The Seer, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Secret Scroll (Daughters of the Moon, #4)
  • Payback (Fingerprints, #7)
"was born in New Orleans, LA, in 1961. New Orleans is one of the most interesting American cities, and it has an incredibly rich and exotic culture that had a profound influence on me. Kids in other cities have lemonade stands; we sold voodoo gris-gris and made wax dolls in the likenesses of our enemies. It's a very beautiful city, and the constant heat and humidity make gardens grow out of contro ...more

Wicca (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Book of Shadows (Sweep, #1)
  • The Coven (Sweep, #2)
  • Blood Witch (Sweep, #3)
  • Awakening (Sweep, #5)
  • Spellbound (Sweep, #6)
  • The Calling (Sweep, #7)
  • Changeling (Sweep, #8)
  • Strife (Sweep, #9)
  • Seeker (Sweep, #10)
  • Origins (Sweep, #11)
“David held up his hands. "Hold it. This is going nowhere. You two are both afraid, and being afraid makes you angry, and being angry makes you lash out."
"Thank you, Dr. Laura," I said snippily.
"I'm not afraid of her," Hunter said, like a six-year-old, and I wanted to kick him under the table. Now that I knew he was actually alive, I remembered just how unpleasant he was.”
11 likes