Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Being Vegetarian” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Being Vegetarian

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Being Vegetarian

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
This guide is for anyone who has considered cutting down on meat, fish, or fowl intake, whether going completely vegetarian or not. It is the perfect introduction to both going meatless and the vegetarian lifestyle. The author focuses on ways to change eating habits as painlessly as possible.
Paperback, Second Edition, 352 pages
Published September 13th 2000 by Alpha

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Being Vegetarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Being Vegetarian

Wendy
Dec 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is truly for someone who is starting out and hasn't really looked into becoming a vegetarian. I picked up a few ideas, but most of it was common sense or stuff I already knew. Also, unless there's an updated version, this was published in 1999 and is pretty dated. There is a lot more access to information online (you don't need to order supplies from catalogs anymore) and more products in restaurants and stores than this book would lead you to believe. I guess that means we've made progress ...more
Maggie
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in the late 1990s when I was trying to ensure my vegetarian diet was as healthy as possible. Like other Dummies books, this is a good, basic, supportive, informative book on adopting a vegetarian diet. Everything from dietary options to transitioning to being healthy to dealing with awkward social situations is covered. I definitely needed this book as a seventeen-year-old newbie vegetarian back in '93, before the Idiots books were born.
Ambika
Dec 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just a bit preachy for my taste. Why I want to be vegetarian is my business, she doesn't need to preach to the choir (who are the ones buying this book).
And having a pyramid with a basis of good exercise. What's that about? I want to quit eating meat, not drink 8 glasses of water and exercise and believe in god.

But the recipes are good.

A bit more detail about nutrition and less preaching would make this the perfect vegetarian book.
Lisa
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was an ok intro to vegetarian life. I guess because I was looking for a way to incorporate more vegetables it was good, but it didn't address how to really keep balance in the protein/carb/fat ratio. I believe that is critical, and so many of the recipes didn't keep that balance, so i lost interest. It was good for a wide variety though.
Andie
Sep 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
A good read for new Vegetarians. The first page is a cheat sheet showing the proper foods to eat for optimal health as a vegetarian. The book also offers a shopping list of important food items most vegetarians and vegans should have in their fridges and pantries.
Katelyn Sullivan
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty Informative but it's mostly common sense why you should eat certain foods and not others. I liked the different foods based on the different backrounds (Italian, Indian, Mexican etc etc.) and I found new things to try out!
Kayce
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a month old vegetarian, I read this book from cover to cover and loved every word! I learned so much about nutrition in general and now feel prepared to stay on the journey of a meatless diet.
Shawna
3.5 stars - Diet/Health
L Blaylock
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book right after my transition into being a vegetarian. I found it informative, insightful, and only slightly bias.
Tarkeysha
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Great info on how to balance your nutritional needs.
Erica
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Some of this is a bit dated but it's a good transitional book for those like myself who are looking to slowly make the change and refine to eventual vegans
Aaron
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book had a bunch of really good information in it...a thought provoking read for me. The end got a little preachy for my skin though. But would recommend to anyone looking to go veggie.
Cathy
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great overview of the benefits of vegetarianism, without being pushy or militant about it. It was a very helpful resource to learn about how to be a healthy vegetarian.
Beth
Mar 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
A bit preachy at times, but good nutrition information. Scant recipe selection.
Elizabeth