Start by marking “National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region ” as Want to Read:
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region (National Audubon Society Field Guides)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  492 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Tree peepers everywhere will enjoy these two guides which explore the incredible environment of our country's forests-including seasonal features, habitat, range, and lore. Nearly 700 species of trees are detailed in photographs of leaf shape, bark, flowers, fruit, and fall leaves -- all can be quickly accessed making this the ideal field guide for any time of year.

Note:
Published May 12th 1980 by Knopf

Be the first to ask a question about National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees

Jason Koivu
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love myself a tree now and again, but I wouldn't classify myself as a dendrophiliac. I enjoy trees enough to make flipping through this book a real pleasure.

National Audubon's series on North American wildlife and nature is a great resource for enthusiasts. Within, the reader will find hundreds of color photos with close-ups on bark and leaf. There are sketches and diagrams. Maps for every tree show its habitation range. Descriptions come with average sizes, soil preference, as well as detail
Cassandra Kay Silva
May 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: field-guides
The way this book is laid out makes identifying trees fairly easy. Especially as it is regionally specific. I think reading through the book at least once through before using it makes it so much more simple to use. Books like this make me wish I were a botanist.
Jim
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A very good book that includes quite a few transplants, hybrids & invasives. Definitely one of the best buys of this type out there. I have a couple of copies & have used them extensively in Maryland & Kentucky. While a few trees have not been included, overall it has met expectations.
Tanner Scott
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the only non-fiction book I've read cover to cover. This was my nature book for years of research in the woods. I love this book! 5 stars isn't enough.
David Ward
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region by Elbert L. Little (Alfred A. Knopf 1980) (582) is the Audubon Society's field guide to North American trees. My rating: 7/10, finished 2005.
Steven McKay
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plants, trees, library
I have dozens and dozens of books about trees, but this book and its companion for the western US are among my most valued. I travel with them and refer to them whenever I'm outside if my home turf. If I had to recommend a single book about local trees, this (or its counterpart) would be the one.
What's Dat
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Total excellence.
Carrie
Sep 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Although I've read most of this - I'm constantly referring to this guide. A nice one - I've keyed out most of the trees in my backyard with this book. Not a must-read, but helpful nonetheless.
Rick
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is part of my desire to learn more about life around me. For instance, the most popular tree found in New York City is the London Planetree.
Clarice
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was very easy to follow, and it really helped me in my project. The leaves look too much alike though.
Tyler Villwock
very helpful
Brainorgan
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees--E: Eastern Region (Eastern) by NATIONAL AUDUBON SOCIETY (1980)
Plant Girl
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Fabulous resource, great color photographs, easy to find information.
Coconutoilshops
rated it did not like it
Aug 26, 2015
M.E. Hogan
Mar 11, 2009
Nancy
Aug 12, 2012
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers: Eastern Region
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to Weather: North America
  • Tree Finder: A Manual for the Identification of Trees by Their Leaves
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks (Peterson Field Guides)
  • A Field Guide to Trees and Shrubs: Northeastern and north-central United States and southeastern and south-central Canada
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

National Audubon Society Field Guides (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to Fishes: North America
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to Insects and Spiders: North America (National Audubon Society Field Guides (Paperback))
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mammals