Start by marking “National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region ” as Want to Read:
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region

(National Audubon Society Field Guides)

Tree peepers everywhere will enjoy these two guides which explore the incredible environment of our country's forests-including seasonal features, habitat, range, and lore. Nearly 700 species of trees are detailed in photographs of leaf shape, bark, flowers, fruit, and fall leaves -- all can be quickly accessed making this the ideal field guide for any time of year.

Note:
Published May 12th 1980 by Knopf Publishing Group

Be the first to ask a question about National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees

Start your review of National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
Jason Koivu
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love myself a tree now and again, but I wouldn't classify myself as a dendrophiliac. I enjoy trees enough to make flipping through this book a real pleasure.

National Audubon's series on North American wildlife and nature is a great resource for enthusiasts. Within, the reader will find hundreds of color photos with close-ups on bark and leaf. There are sketches and diagrams. Maps for every tree show its habitation range. Descriptions come with average sizes, soil preference, as well as detail
Jim
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A very good book that includes quite a few transplants, hybrids & invasives. Definitely one of the best buys of this type out there. I have a couple of copies & have used them extensively in Maryland & Kentucky. While a few trees have not been included, overall it has met expectations. ...more
Cassandra Kay Silva
May 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: field-guides
The way this book is laid out makes identifying trees fairly easy. Especially as it is regionally specific. I think reading through the book at least once through before using it makes it so much more simple to use. Books like this make me wish I were a botanist.
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
Probably the most helpful guidebook to trees I’ve ever owned!
Tanner Scott
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the only non-fiction book I've read cover to cover. This was my nature book for years of research in the woods. I love this book! 5 stars isn't enough.
Logan Hughes
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: plants
All the crucial trees are here, as far as I can tell, but I don't love the way National Audubon Society guides are organized: photos in one section, field notes in another, so you have to page to multiple places. Additionally, for the tree guide, the photos mostly just show leaves, with a black-and-white silhouette of the tree in the field notes section. It would be better to have a page on each tree with multiple photos or illustrations and all the important parts shown at once (general shape, ...more
Matthew Philips
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Maybe it’s me, maybe it’s a learning curve, but I don’t find this guide as useful as the amphibian/reptile one.
David Ward
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region by Elbert L. Little (Alfred A. Knopf 1980) (582) is the Audubon Society's field guide to North American trees. My rating: 7/10, finished 2005.
Steven McKay
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, plants, trees
I have dozens and dozens of books about trees, but this book and its companion for the western US are among my most valued. I travel with them and refer to them whenever I'm outside of my home turf. If I had to recommend a single book about local trees, this (or its counterpart) would be the one.
What's Dat
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Total excellence.
Carrie
Sep 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Although I've read most of this - I'm constantly referring to this guide. A nice one - I've keyed out most of the trees in my backyard with this book. Not a must-read, but helpful nonetheless.
Rick
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is part of my desire to learn more about life around me. For instance, the most popular tree found in New York City is the London Planetree.
Clarice
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was very easy to follow, and it really helped me in my project. The leaves look too much alike though.
Tyler Villwock
very helpful
Brainorgan
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees--E: Eastern Region (Eastern) by NATIONAL AUDUBON SOCIETY (1980)
Plant Girl
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Fabulous resource, great color photographs, easy to find information.
Vaishu Narvankar
Dec 25, 2018
Coconutoilshops
rated it did not like it
Aug 26, 2015

• Get It Together for College: A Planner to Help You Get Organized and Get In
  • Official Study Guide for the New SAT
  • PHP Cookbook
  • Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties
  • Dexter in the Dark (Dexter, #3)
  • Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations
  • Bleachers
  • Dexter By Design (Dexter, #4)
  • Judy Blume Boxed Set (Fudge-a-Mania / Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great / Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing / Superfudge)
  • Student Success Secrets

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Elbert Luther Little

National Audubon Society Field Guides (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to Fishes: North America
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to Insects and Spiders: North America
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mammals
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals