Start by marking “The Big Game (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Big Game (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)

The Big Game

(Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #4)

When Quark holds a poker tournament on Deep Space Nine someone from almost every sentient race -- Klingons, Cardassians, Romulans, Vulcans, Ferengi -- shows up for what is sure to be the highest-stakes game of all time. But when one player is killed, the stakes get higher than even these big-money players had counted on.

With the station rocked by subspace waves that threat
Mass Market Paperback, 1st, 274 pages
Published November 1993 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Big Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Game

Dianah
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-books, star-trek
With the third original book in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine series, I'm shocked to have to type, for the third time, there's a killer on the station and Odo has to stop him. Yes, I sighed loudly.

The good thing about The Big Game is it is a quick read. The characters are fairly in character with some minor discrepancies that are easy to overlook. It moves along at a great pace and it's fun how some of the one-shot and minor Next Gen characters are shuffled into the mix.

The cause of the space
Daniel Kukwa
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
There's quite a bit in this novel that I find irritating: (1) the book accentuates too many early first season characteristics that were quickly toned down; (2) there are far too many gratuitous cameos (Rasmussen...really?), and many of them come far too soon after recent cameos in the TV series; (3) the murder plot is so suddenly switched with the Ghost Rider plot that whiplash is the result, and you might be forgiven for thinking you've started another DS9 novel.

Luckily, there is also more th
The Fog Witch (Nikki)
Mar 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody.
Recommended to The Fog Witch (Nikki) by: I found it in my father-in-law's office
I wanted to toss it out the nearest airlock.
Boring writing style. Unengaging plot. A poker game, really?
Andy
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I listened to this book during my commute. It's a fun, if not a little slow, Deep Space Nine story that takes place sometime during the first season of the show. This early date is an endearing part of the book. The crew doesn't yet fully know or even like each other, which is true to season one of the show. And like watching a TV show's Pilot episode, the novel contains a few small details which don't quite match the show after it had been on the air for a little while and settled into it's own ...more
John
An enjoyable TREK novel so long as you don't mind the entire poker tournament aspect being relatively pointless. I'm guessing the authors simply felt like writing about poker and were dead-set on doing so, regardless of whether the plot actually called for it. And just to make things more confusing for the uninitiated, they go with Texas Hold 'Em instead of traditional five-card stud.
The novel is credited to Sandy Schofield, which is a pen name for husband-and-wife writing team Dean Wesley Smith
Jesse Lehrer
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
how is this another murder mystery....how.... the first 3 original DS9 books are all murder mysteries. This one was better than the last one at least - more fun character interactions, more of a plot, etc. but it was still pretty mediocre. Also the book is clearly written by two people in that the plot is TOTALLY random - the murder mystery 100% randomly drops off midway through and then the plot becomes a space alien hunter thing. At least the second half is more enjoyable? That made it pick up ...more
Alex
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Kind of tepid, but worth reading just to be in the world of Deep Space Nine. It reminds me a lot of the tepid episodes of the television show. They probably have to have a lot of these because they don't know until they are done and broadcast if it is a tepid, good, or a great episode. The same is true of the books. And I do watch and watch over and over all of the episodes of the show. I will probably do the same with the books. They each have their moments.
Jerome Maida
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
This DS9 book has a high-stakes poker game, a murder mystery and a phenomena that threatens to catapault the station into war with the Cardassians...yet the execution is poor and the result is a book that is just okay.
Rob Markley
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
It works in one directions only. Make a visual of a book not vice versa. Fan fiction isn't really my thing
The Fizza
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Better than I had expected it to have been.
Samantha L'Esperance
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Better than 3,for sure. Some things were out of character but I enjoyed going back and forth between the two story lines. Very entertaining.
Myke Edwards
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun, quick read. Delved into the goofy aspect of DS9 that a lot of people loved. I always liked various aliens and wacky characters, so this one worked well for me.
David Sarkies
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Die hard Star Trek fans
Recommended to David by: Daniel
Shelves: sci-fi
Another murder played out in a gambling contest
4 April 2012

I am still trying to work out when I actually began to watch Deep Space Nine, and who it was that introduced me to the series. I have a feeling that I did begin watching it about the same time when it first aired on television. Looking back at the year of release (and remembering that Star Trek was generally released in Australia about a year after the US release) it puts me at adult re-entry college. So, this was after my time in the S
Joe Sullivan
The earliest-released Trek books always tend to be rushed out too soon, and have the highest chance of not being within the continuity of the show. This is primarily because the characters still haven't been fleshed out well enough for outsiders to be writing about them. And in some cases, even the show isn't fully fleshed out.

This book has two things going against it. One is character differences. It's little things, but noticeable when you're a big fan of the show. Rom calls Quark "Quark" inst
Daniel Devereux

After reading this I still can't decide if the premise of this book was good or bad. I mean setting the lion's share of the plot on a game of poker is a bit much. I have yet to like Nog or Jake in any of these novels, maybe it's their youth that is throwing me. I believe Jadzia is so underused, but the again I'm sure there are entire books devoted to Dax and the Trill. Because of a line in the book, and onscreen flirting, I believe that Bashir is bisexual. As with all my kindle books I have high
Tina
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Perhaps all the more so because I wasn't expecting to. I started this book late in the evening after a long day at work, intending to read the first chapter or two and head to bed.

I read the whole thing in one sitting.

This book did a great job of catching and keeping my attention, as well as keeping the suspense going right up until the end. The characterization and interactions all seemed very believable and interesting. I was worried my lack of poker knowledge might
Blythe
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ds9, star-trek
If I could, I think I'd rate this book about a 2.75. It's got an interesting concept, and parts of it would have made an interesting DS9 episode, but somehow I felt like it never really gelled. The interesting guest characters weren't used to full effect, and I felt many of the storylines ended abruptly and anticlimactically. (The significant continuity errors around Odo also reflect very poorly on the editor.)

It's not a bad read--it was quick, light, and fun, and I smiled over a lot of the dial
Sinda Quietus
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be a MAJOR improvement from the last one, Bloodletter. Whilst that was slow and people were out of character for the most part, this had most to all characters just right and was fast paced and it seemed like it would have been an above average episode. I am not one for poker, so I never thought I'd feel so involved with this one. Having mentions of The Enterprise and Will Riker was great, plus the fact that Rasmussen from an earlier The Next Generation episode was in it add ...more
Scarlett Sims
This was the first Deep Space Nine book I've read, and it's pretty true to the series. The basic plot is that Quark is hosting a poker game with the greatest players in the quadrant. But that may not be the only big game disrupting the station...

The Quark and Odo characters were the best developed, which makes sense because the main plot focused on them. Sisko also had a few lines that I could really picture Avery Brooks delivering. This definitely had the same goofy vibe as early DS9. I'd say i
Sanna
Jul 31, 2011 added it
Reading this novel felt just like watching a mediocre episode of DS9.

Not bad not great either. A pretty simple two-part plot; Quark hosts a poker-tournament and Odo ends up playing, meanwhile Sisko and the crew at Ops save the station from a space-quake of unknown origin and prevent (once more) Bajorans and Cardassians from starting a war. The poker-bits were interesting, the side-plot of the poker-playing murderer was totally lame.

Read this if you really love Trek.
alix
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
strong characterization, decent dialogue (including tons of sass from sisko, odo, garak, & more), reasonably interesting plot(s), & a handful of jadzia/kira and garak/bashir shippy moments. better than most gen fanfiction i've read (which certainly seems to be saying something for a lot of genre fiction) (ok actually there are totally fic authors out there who set the bar REALLY high) (this review is so embarrassing).
Jason Vargo
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Boring as sin bottle show story revolving around a poker game (yes, a poker game), another murderer on the station and entirely too many call backs to TNG for no good reason. Characterizations are off from the final televised product while none of the three plot lines is engaging.

The entire cast gets something to do, more or less, but that simple isn't enough.
Craig
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Wow, fire the editor who did this! Other than that it's a fun little story. However it is odd, while the station is falling apart, Bashir and Odo are playing poker while being inconvenienced by the lights flickering.
Angela
A Quark and Odo centred storyline. There's a big Poker game, some murders and the station is in trouble. Murder seems to be a common occurance in the books so far. All the characters act how you think they should, and this could make a decent TV episode. A good read.
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is exactly what I remember the early DS9 books to be: very plot-oriented so as to get around the fact that we don't really know who the characters are, with lots of references to TNG to establish the newbie's pedigree.
Ossy
May 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: startrek
Star Trek and poker games..... yeah right.....
Denise
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
A quick, fun read - definitely better than the last one. And hey, Garak's in it, so I'm happy anyway.
Carmen
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Not the best StarTrek literature, but it was ok, especially towards the end. Perhaps poker players will like it more.
Ruth Fabiano
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was pretty young when I read this, but it certainly is a stand-out among the books I remember. It had a great plot, plenty of Odo/Quark banter and a POV from Dax'...other self ;)
Reanne
Sep 19, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish
Had a few amusing bits, but mostly it was kinda boring and I lost interest.
  • Fallen Heroes (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #5)
  • The Siege (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #2)
  • Antimatter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8)
  • Betrayal (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #6)
  • Warchild
  • Bloodletter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Emissary
  • Proud Helios (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #9)
  • Saratoga (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #18)
  • Valhalla (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #10)
  • Devil in the Sky
  • Laertian Gamble (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #12)
  • The Search
  • The Tempest (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #19)
  • The Long Night (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #14)
  • Trial by Error (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #21)
  • Invasion: Time's Enemy
  • Objective: Bajor (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #15)
Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Dean Wesley Smith use the common pseudonym “Sandy Schofield” for a part of their collaborative works.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • Emissary
  • The Siege (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #2)
  • Bloodletter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Fallen Heroes (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #5)
  • Betrayal (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #6)
  • Warchild
  • Antimatter (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8)
  • Proud Helios (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #9)
  • Valhalla (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #10)
  • Devil in the Sky