Start by marking “The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #2)” as Want to Read:
The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #2)

The Fall of Hyperion

(Hyperion Cantos #2)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  92,986 ratings  ·  3,244 reviews
In the stunning continuation of the epic adventure begun in Hyperion, Simmons returns us to a far future resplendent with drama and invention. On the world of Hyperion, the mysterious Time Tombs are opening. And the secrets they contain mean that nothing--nothing anywhere in the universe--will ever be the same.
Mass Market Paperback, Bantam Reissue, 517 pages
Published December 1995 by Spectra Books (first published March 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Hyperion, please sign up.
Micah Sisk The first two books are a complete unit. The later two books take place (IIRC) hundreds of years later and revolve around a whole new set of main char…moreThe first two books are a complete unit. The later two books take place (IIRC) hundreds of years later and revolve around a whole new set of main characters, and form their own separate whole, set in the same world/history. Think of the full Hyperion Cantos as a pair of duologies rather than one tetraology.(less)

·  92,986 ratings  ·  3,244 reviews

Start your review of The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #2)
Kemper
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Nurse, this patient’s chart is very confusing.”

“Which patient, Doctor?”

“Uh..Mr. Kemper. He’s the one in the vegetative state.”

“Oh, that’s a very sad and odd case.”

“According to the patient history, he was admitted a few weeks ago with cerebrospinal fluid leaking from his nose and ears, but it seemed like he should recover. But yesterday he was brought in again, barely conscious and then he lapsed into a coma. The really odd thing is that I see no signs of injury or disease.”

“That’s right, Docto
Dan Schwent
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As the pilgrims prepare to enter the Time Tombs, the war between the Ousters and the Hegemony is just hours from breaking out. Can they enter the Time Tombs quickly enough to prevent intergalactic war and the deaths of billions?

Here we are, the second half of the epic Dan Simmons started in Hyperion. Kassad, Brawne, and the other pilgrims introduced in the previous book meet their destinies. However, the bigger story is the war between the Hegemony and its enemies.

During my initial read, I didn'
Apatt
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
The trouble with reading a book like The Fall of Hyperion is that whatever book I read next will likely seem like a load of ol' crap. In fact, in a Shrike-like manner this book traveled back in time and slashed my opinion of the book I read prior to this one which now looks shabby by comparison.

The first Hyperion book ends on a (musical) cliff hanger, The Fall of Hyperion carries on from there though the first chapter is narrated in the first person by a "new" cybrid protagonist Joseph Severn. W
Henry Avila
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
As the pilgrims seek the Shrike, the ominous thing, in the eerie Valley of the Time Tombs, avoided by the frightened inhabitants, here on the planet Hyperion, it does not appear, what to do? Days pass but still the creature has remained hidden, the letdown effects them, they expected to be killed... The six seekers, the dying priest Hoyt, disillusioned soldier Kassad, sad scholar Weintraub ( and infant daughter, Rachel, who becomes dangerously younger, daily), unstable poet Silenus, heartbroken ...more
Markus
Buddy read with Athena, Desinka, Gavin & Kaora

"The Final Days are here, priest. The prophecies given to us by the Avatar centuries ago are unfolding before our eyes. What you call riots are the first death throes of a society which deserves to die. The Days of Atonement are upon us and the Lord of Pain soon will walk among us."

The shadow of war has fallen on the Web. The Ousters are initiating a full-scale invasion of the central planets of the Hegemony of Man. Chaos rules in the corridors of po
Brad
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The Fall of Hyperion is a sequel. I swear. It says so right there on the cover of my mass market paperback, right above the cheesy artist’s rendering of Sol Weintraub presenting Rachel to a rather unimpressive Shrike.

But I’ll tell you, it sure doesn’t feel like a sequel. It feels more like the first book, the main book, of a series, and it makes Hyperion feel like a prequel -- a superior prequel, but a prequel nonetheless. And I really wish I had read The Fall of Hyperion before I read its pred
Lyn
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
There’s a lot going on here.

Dan Simmons’ wildly popular and successful Hyperion Cantos continues from the first Hyperion to this 1990 publication. While some readers of the first book were a little miffed at that books truncated ending (ahem) word on the street was that Simmons delivered the plus size behemoth in one package and the publisher was the one with the bright idea to split it in half.

Either way, Simmons’ incredibly ambitious tale of the pilgrims on Hyperion continues and his megalithi
Conor
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While somewhat uneven at the start this book developed into an awesome story with some of the most distinct, memorable and well developed world-building I've ever read, interesting and sympathetic characters, a strong central plot, cool literary references (mostly stemming from Simmons' serious man-crush on John Keats) and some thought provoking philosophy (although Simmons loses marks for incorporating philosophy into the plot and world in an organic and interesting way rather than through a se ...more
Michael Finocchiaro
The sequel to Simmons' classic Hyperion is every bit as engaging and mind-blowing as the first book. The book picks up just where Hyperion leaves off, with the pilgrims at the Time Tombs and war with the Ousters imminent. We are presented with a few new characters - a cybrid named Joseph Severn who is far more than he appears and the CEO of the Web Meina Gladstone. Severn is capable of dreaming the dreams of the pilgrims and we follow their adventures primarily through his connection to them. Th ...more
Clouds

Christmas 2010: I realised that I had got stuck in a rut. I was re-reading old favourites again and again, waiting for a few trusted authors to release new works. Something had to be done.

On the spur of the moment I set myself a challenge, to read every book to have won the Locus Sci-Fi award. That’s 35 books, 6 of which I’d previously read, leaving 29 titles by 14 authors who were new to me.

While working through this reading list I got married, went on my honeymoon, switched career and beca
Ashley
I’m a visual person. With me, things have to be neat, aesthetically pleasing, and in some sort of discernible order (even if that order is nothing but visually appealing chaos), otherwise I get cranky. I like charts and graphics and brightly colored pictures. This probably has something to do with the fact that I have synesthesia, specifically grapheme → color synesthesia. For me, everything has a color, and in turn, colors provoke emotions. My brain also automatically attempts to visualize inta ...more
sologdin
William
A chaotic mess sprinkled with rubies...

(The first book, Hyperion, is a masterpiece)

This continuation of the Hyperion saga seems to have been written by Dan Simmon's agent, pushing for more pages, using a neural whip on him for more cash. Ugh.

Very long-winded and dull chapters, repetition, clumsy interaction between the pilgrims and other players, religious claptrap flowing endlessly....

Simmons is clearly very (very) literate, hurray. We know that, and his inclusion of endless references to famou
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019

Pain and darkness have been our lot since the Fall of Man. But there must be some hope that we can rise to a higher level ... that consciousness can evolve to a plane more benevolent than its counterpoint of a universe hardwired to indifference.

The words of (view spoiler) Father Dure, a Jesuit priest of the future Hegemony of Man, are for me the most concise and the most precise synopsis of the story. 'The Fall of Hyperion' is not a separate novel, it
Kaora
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
The Fall of Hyperion, a sequel to Hyperion, although it doesn't feel like it. The first book was mainly about the history of the pilgrims, and this one has a new protagonist named Joseph Severn, who dreams of the pilgrims. As a result I struggled to get into this one, as I was more interested in the fates of the pilgrims than this new character. There were long sections of dialogue as Joseph sits in on war briefings, which I found uninteresting.

However I feel about halfway through the tides chan
Stephen
6.0 stars. On my list of All Time Favorites. Viewed as one novel, the Hyperion Cantos (including Hyperion, this novel and the two subsequent novels) comprise, in my opinion, one of the GREATEST works of Science Fiction EVER WRITTEN. Space Opera on a epic scale. Detailed, original and incredibly imaginative world building and a dense, mind-blowing plot. Oh yeah, and it has one of the coolest characters/creatures ever devised...THE SHRIKE!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Winner: British Science Fiction Award f
Ian
The narrator, Victor Bevine, is one of my favorites. He narrates all the other audio versions of the Hyperion Cantos, including the first, dramatized version of Hyperion itself. I gave five stars to the underlying written work. I only subtract a star for this audiobook because Mr. Bevine isn't quite up to the task of doing all the characters--particularly all the Shrike Pilgrims--by himself. Still, this audiobook is a great way to re-read Fall of Hyperion.

Merged review:

Having read Hyperion and F
David Katzman
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion are two halves of an extraordinarily complex science fiction masterpiece. There are subsequently two more books that appear to follow this series (Endymion and Rise of Endymion), but they aren’t necessary to feel you’ve gotten a complete story. I will absolutely read them in the future. With elements of horror woven through, it’s an extremely twisted vision that takes you to the farthest reaches of science fiction.

The plot is elaborate and multifaceted yet by th
Gavin
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The Fall of Hyperion picks up directly after the cliffhanger ending to Hyperion. The pilgrims have reached the fabled Time Tombs, which are opening, and await their confrontation with the mysterious Shrike. The confrontations, when they came, made for compelling reading. I was fairly happy with the way Simmons concluded each of the pilgrims tales. The pilgrims were as likable, or unlikable, as they were in the first book. Brawne Lamia and Colonel Kassad benefited from the most interesting story ...more
Franzi
4 Stars

Great conclusion to the first Hyperion duology. The story continues right were Hyperion ended and there's a lot happening in this. While Hyperion was more or less a collection of backstories told by each character, The Fall of Hyperion is told by only one narrator and continues the story in the present time. Somehow this made the story move quite slow at times and sadly the audiobook does not have an ensemble of characters anymore (the one narrator in this does a great job though).
The Fa
Stuart
Concludes the Hyperion Duology with Big Canvas Pyrotechnics, Mind-Expanding Idea
This is the concluding half of the story begun in Hyperion, so for those who complained that the former book didn't have a proper conclusion, they've only read half the tale. This time Simmons abandons the Canterbury Tales format of the former book, which told the back stories of the seven pilgrims to Hyperion in distinct stories, in favor of a linear story that needs all its considerable length to cover the massive
Emily
Apr 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi, a-own-it
What a crock of shit. I loved the first book and gave it 5 stars. This one... man, I hate it. It's nothing even like the first book. It's just a bunch of political/religious/philosophical non-sense. The Pilgrims from the first book are basically secondary characters here. They aren't really even the focus of the story anymore. I spent almost the entire book just wishing the Shrike would slaughter everyone so this book would be over.

Too much poetry
Too much boring descriptions of people traveling
Jonathan
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: you have to have read Hyperion fool
There are few words that strike more fear in the hearts of Über-Intellectuals (as defined in my review of The Da Vinci Code, of all places) than the word “sequel”. Adored by Hollywood producers and publishing moguls alike for its low-risk, high profit profile, this extension of plot and character guarantees your presence for at least another act. Uber-Intellectuals, however, shun The Sequel for those same reasons; often rightfully so. If you can tell a story in one book, don’t tell it in two.

Be
Matthew Quann
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matthew by: Alex Dickie
No spoilers here, but Hyperion ends in smack-dab in the middle of the story. After loving the first book I knew that I had to rearrange my reading plans and dive directly in to The Fall of Hyperion. Dan Simmons initially submitted Hyperion Cantos as a single volume, but was advised to split the book in two for publication. It's a decision I agree with more after finishing The Fall of Hyperion because it feels, at least stylistically, quite different from Hyperion.

Compared to its predecessor,
Wanda

This was by no means a bad book, but it just didn’t grab me the way the first one did. I really enjoyed the first book’s “Canturbury Tales” structure and the way Simmons wove the tales tightly together. The second book is a more traditional novel complete with war, a topic which doesn’t thrill me. It is in some ways tied together by the John Keats cybrid, who narrates his vision of what is happening, but the amount of POV hopping was challenging for me.

I did appreciate the wide field o
Maggie K
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow. So different from the first book, but every bit as great, maybe even greater.

The time tombs are opening, and the universe will never be the same. Our Pilgrims, each with their own agenda, are standing between the destruction of humanity or its rebirth.

Can the CEO save the world? Is the info she's acting on correct? Are John Keats dreams enough? Do the Shrike really want a now newborn baby Rachel? How is the Catholic Church involved? Are the Ousters our enemy or our friend? Are the AI's real
Efka
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics, war, sci-fi
Freedom and empathy for everyone, people!!!

This is an amazing book that perfectly wraps up everything since the very beginning of the first book. I enjoyed every page of it. What's more important, all those drawbacks I've mentioned in my review of "Hyperion" are non-existent in "The fall of Hyperion", and I've said that "Hyperion" is a very good book despite those drawbacks. So... You should read this duology, you must! It's a perfect blend of sci-fi and a sort of suspense/detective, full of eng
Andy
Sep 01, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fantasy-sci-fi readers into 19th century poetry.
A friend gave me these books (the Hyperion/Endymion series) about six years ago. They're more 'fantasy' science fiction - other worlds, alien races, etc - than 'hard' science fiction (by that I mean, could happen here and now) so I found them interesting, but you've got to like this style of material to get thru it. This book could have told it's story in half the space and still have been just as compelling - if not more so. If you want to ponder the philosophical meanings of existence, these a ...more
Bee
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This review is for Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion, as one story.

So this is how you write the best sci-fi and space-opera?

I can't review this.. there's just too much. Honestly one of the best things I’ve ever read. It reminds me of Steven Erikson's Malzan Book of the Fallen in it's amazing scope and complexity, and in tackling very large chunky moral topics without ever making you the reader feel like you're being told a moral tale or talked down to.

There is really good characterization, whethe
Alvin
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
DNF. I had to force myself to try to read this, in the same vein I forced myself to finish Ice Station Zebra. For a Hugo winning novel, a have to ask why?

Characterization: Its been 4 years since I read the original, which sets up the 7 characters whose stories conclude in this novel. Perhaps its the long interlude, but I simply did not care what happens to each of them. And it doesn't help that many of them become incapacitated or go missing early in the novel. For that matter one of the main v

• The Forever War (The Forever War, #1)
  • A Fire Upon the Deep (Zones of Thought, #1)
  • Foundation (Foundation, #1)
  • Ringworld (Ringworld, #1)
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Foundation and Empire (Foundation #2)
  • The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1)
  • The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2)
  • Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • Death's End (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #3)
  • Second Foundation (Foundation #3)
  • Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1)
  • A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought, #2)
  • Revelation Space (Revelation Space, #1)
  • Speaker for the Dead (Ender's Saga, #2)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
Dan Simmons grew up in various cities and small towns in the Midwest, including Brimfield, Illinois, which was the source of his fictional "Elm Haven" in 1991's SUMMER OF NIGHT and 2002's A WINTER HAUNTING. Dan received a B.A. in English from Wabash College in 1970, winning a national Phi Beta Kappa Award during his senior year for excellence in fiction, journalism and art.

Dan received his Master

Hyperion Cantos (4 books)
  • Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1)
  • Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #3)
  • The Rise of Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #4)