Start by marking “The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #2)” as Want to Read:
The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #2)

The Fall of Hyperion

(Hyperion Cantos #2)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  105,886 ratings  ·  3,757 reviews
In the stunning continuation of the epic adventure begun in Hyperion, Simmons returns us to a far future resplendent with drama and invention. On the world of Hyperion, the mysterious Time Tombs are opening. And the secrets they contain mean that nothing--nothing anywhere in the universe--will ever be the same.
Mass Market Paperback, Bantam Reissue, 517 pages
Published December 1995 by Spectra Books (first published March 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Hyperion, please sign up.
Micah Sisk The first two books are a complete unit. The later two books take place (IIRC) hundreds of years later and revolve around a whole new set of main char…moreThe first two books are a complete unit. The later two books take place (IIRC) hundreds of years later and revolve around a whole new set of main characters, and form their own separate whole, set in the same world/history. Think of the full Hyperion Cantos as a pair of duologies rather than one tetraology.(less)

·  105,886 ratings  ·  3,757 reviews

Start your review of The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos #2)
Kemper
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Nurse, this patient’s chart is very confusing.”

“Which patient, Doctor?”

“Uh..Mr. Kemper. He’s the one in the vegetative state.”

“Oh, that’s a very sad and odd case.”

“According to the patient history, he was admitted a few weeks ago with cerebrospinal fluid leaking from his nose and ears, but it seemed like he should recover. But yesterday he was brought in again, barely conscious and then he lapsed into a coma. The really odd thing is that I see no signs of injury or disease.”

“That’s right, Docto
Mario the lone bookwolf
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: simmons-dan
The series is developing more towards space opera and cosmic conflict range after the first part had played with different humanities, ethics, AI, and many other topics.

A bit away from the characters, towards the meta big sci-fi is notorious for, the story shows how a strong female protagonist and another one, not sure about spoilering, are wandering through the settings of an epic conflict with vast consequences in the third and fourth part.

Time travel and thereby manipulation of human civili
Henry Avila
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
As the pilgrims seek the Shrike the ominous thing in the eerie Valley of the Time Tombs, avoided by the frightened inhabitants here on the planet Hyperion, it does not appear, what to do? Days pass but still the creature has remained hidden, the letdown effects them they expected to be killed... The six seekers, the dying priest Hoyt , disillusioned soldier Kassad, sad scholar Weintraub ( and infant daughter, Rachel, who becomes dangerously younger, daily) unstable poet Silenus, heartbroken dete ...more
Dan Schwent
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As the pilgrims prepare to enter the Time Tombs, the war between the Ousters and the Hegemony is just hours from breaking out. Can they enter the Time Tombs quickly enough to prevent intergalactic war and the deaths of billions?

Here we are, the second half of the epic Dan Simmons started in Hyperion. Kassad, Brawne, and the other pilgrims introduced in the previous book meet their destinies. However, the bigger story is the war between the Hegemony and its enemies.

During my initial read, I didn'
Apatt
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
The trouble with reading a book like The Fall of Hyperion is that whatever book I read next will likely seem like a load of ol' crap. In fact, in a Shrike-like manner this book traveled back in time and slashed my opinion of the book I read prior to this one which now looks shabby by comparison.

The first Hyperion book ends on a (musical) cliff hanger, The Fall of Hyperion carries on from there though the first chapter is narrated in the first person by a "new" cybrid protagonist Joseph Severn. W
Baba
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
2017 read: Hyperion Cantos #2: It's the end of times? Technology vs humankind vs outlier humans vs fundamentalists vs time travellers oh my!! And somewhere amongst this all, a quest for God?

This startling sequel to Hyperion sees humankind struggle to determine how it became so vulnerable to external attack and so quickly, and most importantly why? In addition the Time Tombs have been opened, setting the Shrike free. Science fiction saga at it's best! A series, I should make clear, that is genius
Markus
Buddy read with Athena, Desinka, Gavin & Kaora

"The Final Days are here, priest. The prophecies given to us by the Avatar centuries ago are unfolding before our eyes. What you call riots are the first death throes of a society which deserves to die. The Days of Atonement are upon us and the Lord of Pain soon will walk among us."

The shadow of war has fallen on the Web. The Ousters are initiating a full-scale invasion of the central planets of the Hegemony of Man. Chaos rules in the corridors of po
Brad
Sep 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The Fall of Hyperion is a sequel. I swear. It says so right there on the cover of my mass market paperback, right above the cheesy artist’s rendering of Sol Weintraub presenting Rachel to a rather unimpressive Shrike.

But I’ll tell you, it sure doesn’t feel like a sequel. It feels more like the first book, the main book, of a series, and it makes Hyperion feel like a prequel -- a superior prequel, but a prequel nonetheless. And I really wish I had read The Fall of Hyperion before I read its pred
Books with Brittany
Oh my god.
Masterpiece.
Phenomenal.
I love this.
Lyn
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
There’s a lot going on here.

Dan Simmons’ wildly popular and successful Hyperion Cantos continues from the first Hyperion to this 1990 publication. While some readers of the first book were a little miffed at that books truncated ending (ahem) word on the street was that Simmons delivered the plus size behemoth in one package and the publisher was the one with the bright idea to split it in half.

Either way, Simmons’ incredibly ambitious tale of the pilgrims on Hyperion continues and his megalithi
Conor
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While somewhat uneven at the start this book developed into an awesome story with some of the most distinct, memorable and well developed world-building I've ever read, interesting and sympathetic characters, a strong central plot, cool literary references (mostly stemming from Simmons' serious man-crush on John Keats) and some thought provoking philosophy (although Simmons loses marks for incorporating philosophy into the plot and world in an organic and interesting way rather than through a se ...more
Bradley
It's nearly impossible to give this novel the praise it deserves.

It's also a mystery wrapped within an enigma, the conclusion to the grand tale set up in the first book, and it's an amazingly smart ride.

I mean, sure, I could just point at all the great SF goodies packed in here, from black holes eating planets to AI gods creating Ultimate AI gods to an enormous war hitting the known universe for reasons that are delightfully complex and even more delightfully mysterious until the reasons blow us
Michael Finocchiaro
The sequel to Simmons' classic Hyperion is every bit as engaging and mind-blowing as the first book. The book picks up just where Hyperion leaves off, with the pilgrims at the Time Tombs and war with the Ousters imminent. We are presented with a few new characters - a cybrid named Joseph Severn who is far more than he appears and the CEO of the Web Meina Gladstone. Severn is capable of dreaming the dreams of the pilgrims and we follow their adventures primarily through his connection to them. Th ...more
sologdin
William
A chaotic mess sprinkled with rubies...

(The first book, Hyperion, is a masterpiece)

This continuation of the Hyperion saga seems to have been written by Dan Simmon's agent, pushing for more pages, using a neural whip on him for more cash. Ugh.

Very long-winded and dull chapters, repetition, clumsy interaction between the pilgrims and other players, religious claptrap flowing endlessly....

Simmons is clearly very (very) literate, hurray. We know that, and his inclusion of endless references to famou
Ashley
I’m a visual person. With me, things have to be neat, aesthetically pleasing, and in some sort of discernible order (even if that order is nothing but visually appealing chaos), otherwise I get cranky. I like charts and graphics and brightly colored pictures. This probably has something to do with the fact that I have synesthesia, specifically grapheme → color synesthesia. For me, everything has a color, and in turn, colors provoke emotions. My brain also automatically attempts to visualize inta ...more
Clouds

Christmas 2010: I realised that I had got stuck in a rut. I was re-reading old favourites again and again, waiting for a few trusted authors to release new works. Something had to be done.

On the spur of the moment I set myself a challenge, to read every book to have won the Locus Sci-Fi award. That’s 35 books, 6 of which I’d previously read, leaving 29 titles by 14 authors who were new to me.

While working through this reading list I got married, went on my honeymoon, switched career and beca
Trish
Mar 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So the Time Tombs are about to open, the process cannot be stopped/reversed, and now we get to see what’s in them or what they are causing. We’re also finally getting some answers (like what/who the Shrike is)!

But before that, we get some much needed background info like what the Ousters are (I was right, they are human to some degree) and how the farcaster portals are created/managed. Thus, you have 3 factions in this universe: the Hegemony (humans), Ousters (genetically altered humans who brok
Aesaan
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hyperion fans
If you feel Hyperion is the heart of this series, then The Fall of Hyperion is the megamind. Honestly, I thought I wouldn't like this as it kicks off with 100 or so pages of space battles without much heart to the story, which is expected given the ending of the first book. But Oh my.., did Simmons just wave his magic wand and *boom*, sci-fi wonder.
[We enslaved you
with power/
technology/
beads and trinkets
of devices you could neither build
nor understand\\
Yes Mr. Simmons, yo
Stephen
6.0 stars. On my list of All Time Favorites. Viewed as one novel, the Hyperion Cantos (including Hyperion, this novel and the two subsequent novels) comprise, in my opinion, one of the GREATEST works of Science Fiction EVER WRITTEN. Space Opera on a epic scale. Detailed, original and incredibly imaginative world building and a dense, mind-blowing plot. Oh yeah, and it has one of the coolest characters/creatures ever devised...THE SHRIKE!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Winner: British Science Fiction Award f
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019

Pain and darkness have been our lot since the Fall of Man. But there must be some hope that we can rise to a higher level ... that consciousness can evolve to a plane more benevolent than its counterpoint of a universe hardwired to indifference.

The words of (view spoiler) Father Dure, a Jesuit priest of the future Hegemony of Man, are for me the most concise and the most precise synopsis of the story. 'The Fall of Hyperion' is not a separate novel, it
Dave Edmunds
Apr 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing

"In the end--when all else is dust--loyalty to those we love is all we can carry with us to the grave."

The Fall of Hyperion, the second part of the amazing (and I do mean AMAZING) Hyperion Cantos, by the superb Dan Simmons. Why, oh why did I wait so long to read this book? Honestly, I feel like I should be guilty of a criminal offence with a hefty prison sentence.

First things first. You really need to know this book is the second part of a series. Can it be read as a standalone? No! Not und
Kaora
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
The Fall of Hyperion, a sequel to Hyperion, although it doesn't feel like it. The first book was mainly about the history of the pilgrims, and this one has a new protagonist named Joseph Severn, who dreams of the pilgrims. As a result I struggled to get into this one, as I was more interested in the fates of the pilgrims than this new character. There were long sections of dialogue as Joseph sits in on war briefings, which I found uninteresting.

However I feel about halfway through the tides chan
Emily
Apr 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi, a-own-it
What a crock of shit. I loved the first book and gave it 5 stars. This one... man, I hate it. It's nothing even like the first book. It's just a bunch of political/religious/philosophical non-sense. The Pilgrims from the first book are basically secondary characters here. They aren't really even the focus of the story anymore. I spent almost the entire book just wishing the Shrike would slaughter everyone so this book would be over.

Too much poetry
Too much boring descriptions of people traveling
Ian
The narrator, Victor Bevine, is one of my favorites. He narrates all the other audio versions of the Hyperion Cantos, including the first, dramatized version of Hyperion itself. I gave five stars to the underlying written work. I only subtract a star for this audiobook because Mr. Bevine isn't quite up to the task of doing all the characters--particularly all the Shrike Pilgrims--by himself. Still, this audiobook is a great way to re-read Fall of Hyperion.

Merged review:

Having read Hyperion and F
Michelle
May 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

The first part of this book was a bit of a shock and took me some time to adjust to, which is maybe my own fault for having read this book relatively close to when I had finished “Hyperion”. Not that it starts in a negative way, it was just a contrast to what I had gotten used to in the approach of the previous book. After I settled in with it, “The Fall of Hyperion” turned into an amazing adventure and proved to deliver on every aspect I missed from Simmons with book one. While I am a very
David Katzman
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion are two halves of an extraordinarily complex science fiction masterpiece. There are subsequently two more books that appear to follow this series (Endymion and Rise of Endymion), but they aren’t necessary to feel you’ve gotten a complete story. I will absolutely read them in the future. With elements of horror woven through, it’s an extremely twisted vision that takes you to the farthest reaches of science fiction.

The plot is elaborate and multifaceted yet by th
Sarah Mazza
May 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I found this book incredibly difficult to rate.

Parts were thrilling and addictive and wouldn’t let me put the book down. The continued stories of the seven pilgrims and the way they grow as people together. The huge stakes and wars between different molds of human, between AI and human and between the gods of these different group. The political maneuvering of Meina Gladstone was captivating and never once dry or overly convoluted.

There were other points where the narrative dragged and really t
Gavin
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The Fall of Hyperion picks up directly after the cliffhanger ending to Hyperion. The pilgrims have reached the fabled Time Tombs, which are opening, and await their confrontation with the mysterious Shrike. The confrontations, when they came, made for compelling reading. I was fairly happy with the way Simmons concluded each of the pilgrims tales. The pilgrims were as likable, or unlikable, as they were in the first book. Brawne Lamia and Colonel Kassad benefited from the most interesting story ...more
YouKneeK
This is the second book in Dan Simmons’ Hyperion Cantos. I liked the first book better. There were sections where I was really interested in what was happening, but also sections that I struggled through. In this book we learn more about what’s going on in the larger universe instead of focusing exclusively on the pilgrims. I was theoretically interested in that larger universe stuff, but somehow I often found it dull to read about. Parts of it were definitely interesting, but I was usually more ...more

• Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • Foundation and Empire (Foundation #2)
  • The Forever War (The Forever War, #1)
  • A Fire Upon the Deep (Zones of Thought, #1)
  • Foundation (Foundation, #1)
  • The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • Second Foundation (Foundation #3)
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Ringworld (Ringworld, #1)
  • The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2)
  • Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1)
  • Death's End (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #3)
  • Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1)
  • Revelation Space (Revelation Space, #1)
  • Children of Time (Children of Time, #1)
  • Consider Phlebas (Culture, #1)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)
See top shelves…
Dan Simmons grew up in various cities and small towns in the Midwest, including Brimfield, Illinois, which was the source of his fictional "Elm Haven" in 1991's SUMMER OF NIGHT and 2002's A WINTER HAUNTING. Dan received a B.A. in English from Wabash College in 1970, winning a national Phi Beta Kappa Award during his senior year for excellence in fiction, journalism and art.

Dan received his Master

Hyperion Cantos (4 books)
  • Hyperion
  • Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #3)
  • The Rise of Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #4)