Start by marking “I Escaped from Auschwitz” as Want to Read:
I Escaped from Auschwitz

I Escaped from Auschwitz

The author describes his experiences as a prisoner in Auschwitz and his daring escape.
Published January 1st 2002 by Barricade Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about I Escaped from Auschwitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Escaped from Auschwitz

Tom
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read many books on the holocaust. If I had to recommend one, it would be this one for several reasons.

1) It is very well written. Not every holocaust survivor is an author, so some books are not very well written. This one is.
2) Vrba has been in Auschwitz for close to two years and has performed very different roles and tasks. He has lived in the main camp, and in Birkenau. He has been part of different commandos. So we get a very good view on many different parts of the camp.
3) Vrba has
Molly
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an interesting and tantalizing read. As i went to Poland to visit Auschwitz half way through reading this book it painted me am impeccable image of what the living conditions and the over all life of a prisoner was like in a concentration camp. And gave another side of the catastrophe as he escaped. I could hardly put this book down and i think it is even more special that it was written by a man who had experienced first hand what the dreaded Auschwitz was really like.
Hayley Grace
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Frank wowed the world with her personal diary published after her extermination in a Nazi death camp. But move over, Annie... Rudolph Vrba presents a stunningly detailed and sadly little-known personal story of his own.

Vrba describes details of Aushwitz, the infamous Human Chimney used by the NSDAP in World War Two, that are perhaps little known to casual history enthusiasts. Romance can blossom in spite of calculated separation of men and women. The human body can handle extreme starvation
Julianne Leary
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story, both for it's pure memoir qualities in telling the author's history, but also in the historical impact his escape could have had and eventually did have.

The author's main goal, once away from the infamous death camp, was to make sure the world was made aware of what was happening in Poland, to ensure that the over 1 million potential victims in Hungary did not suffer the fate of the millions of innocents who had already perished. He and the friend he escaped with provi
Betsey Brannen
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hmm. This is a difficult review to write. I gave this book 5 stars prior to reading anything else you can find out about Rudolf Vrba on the internet.

Then after being awoken by my pneumonia infected husband at 5 a.m., I laid in bed thinking about what I had read and the account established within this memoir. I consider myself a bit of a Holocaust junkie, and this was different in that Vrba does not shy away from any of the atrocities committed at Auschwitz, Birkenau, or a host of other camps he
David
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I bought this book from the bookstore at Auschwitz when we visited on a trip from Krakow. It really helped hammer home the enormous monstrosity that happened there.
Hermien
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone interested in the Holocaust.
Robert
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After visiting Auschwitz/Birkenau two weeks ago, this was the right moment to read this book. Unbelievable that this could happen. A must-read for everyone.
Amber
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I have read a lot of stories about WO II, seen a lot of movies and visited Auschwitz myself. But this book let's you feel as if you are living there yourself. unbelievable heroic how Rudolf Vrba tells his story and saves so many lifes. Deffinately worth reading!
Julianne
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
O my god. I'm absolutely baffled by this book. I've read so many ww2 books but there were so many things I never knew before described in this book. A true hero, Rudolf Vrba.
Em
May 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beth, Fiona, Lisa, Dotty, Laura, Jon Bear, Jeane
Paul
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent first hand account. I was looking for a more historical text but came across thus book in the library. I'm really glad I did. It was well written and let me see an accurate portrayal of what life was like in a concentration camp. Compelling storytelling. Really very good. Throughout recommend this!
Patrick Ellard
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Harrowing but incredible read.
Todd
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
horrifying and enthralling
Samantha
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-books
A heart wrenching story of Rudy Vrba, a man who actually went into Auschwitz and managed to escape. I would recommend this book to everyone I know!!
Hunter
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Hunter by: I stumbled upon it in a family member's bookshelf
An extraordinary account of one man's survival at Auschwitz. The writing is ok, but the stories are among the most powerful and poignant I've ever read on the subject.
Claire
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every1 should read this - unbelivable
Libraryscat
Jun 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is perhaps the most informative Holocaust narrative I have ever read.
Amanda
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Truly one of the best books I have ever read....full of history....and at the end of the book the reader is told what happened to each of the war criminals.
Edwina Callan
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, library-book
Riveting and heartbreaking.
Rick Elinson
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I heard of Elie Wiesel and I heard of Primo Levi, both survivors and writers about the Holocaust, but why had I never heard of Rudolf Vrba? Not only did Vrba survive two years in Auschwitz and not only was he one of only a handful of inmates to escape from there, but Vrba and fellow escapee Alfred Wetzler, wrote the first detailed report in April 1944 of the horrific, factory-slaughter of Jews and others, taking place at Auschwitz-Birkenau. Not only I had never heard of Vrba, but I was unaware o ...more
Rob
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a remarkable story that needs to be heard whenever the world seems to be going crazy. Rudy was the first man who escaped from Auschwitz and lived to tell the tale. Unfortunately many people didn't want to believe him, but his eye-witness accounts of "The Canada stores" brought America into the second world war. After the war he became a Neuroscientist and taught at the University of British Columbia. I met Rudy in the coffee shop of Regent College bookstore in 1996 just as I was starting ...more
Jon
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While I was reading Rudolf Vrba's remarkable memoir of survival and escape from Auschwitz (with his friend Alfred Wetzler), modern day nazis polled well in Slovakia and Germany. Vrba's testament should be a warning to us all - not to tolerate a revival nazism. Vrba was only 19 when he was incarcerated; he lived to become a professor of pharmacology in Canada. He not only escaped but also attempted to raise the alarm for Hungary's one million Jews in 1944 - before they were deported. He escaped b ...more
A.A. Abbott
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ALSO PUBLISHED AS "I CANNOT FORGIVE" - MEMORABLE, SCARY AND INSPIRATIONAL

This book has also been published under the title "I Cannot Forgive." Teenager Rudolf Vrba has a bright future ahead of him - but then WW2 begins, and as a Slovak Jew, he finds himself in Auschwitz. Plunged into a desperate world of unimaginable horror, he resolves to survive, escape and tell the world about the Nazis' awful extermination programme. Against all the odds, he succeeds...

A story like this would grip the reade
Jeff
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent first person account of the horrors of the Holocaust and the will of the human spirit to survive and overcome incredible odds. The author does not sensationalise his story of capture and survival. The goal of his escape was to warn the world that the Hungarian Jews were going to be led to the slaughter at the extermination camps in Poland.

A must read for historians and those interested in WWII, the Holocaust, and human rights.
Martijn Seegers
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
True Story written by the man himself.
This man managed to survive inside Auschwitz about 2 years. Normally people died in around 2 months. He decided to make notes and accounts and numbers of what he witnessed and experienced inside the camp,
Then the man escaped.
He brought all the information he had to his country, to warn the people, but they didn't believe him at first.
One of the most valuable books I read.
R. Peter
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is possibly the single greatest memoir -- certainly the most exciting -- of surviving Auschwitz. What distinguishes Vrba's book is that he successfully escaped the camp and gave a report on what was happening there. His report was eventually forwarded to British intelligence and convinced the Allies that the Holocaust was real. Vrba (and his co-escapee Fred Wetzler) are genuine 20th century heroes. I wish this book were read in high schools and colleges. It is that good.
Gemma Riley
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Once again here is an example of a book that was not well written but a horrifying story that sucks you in and allows you to experience things most people could never imagine. I feel it's a must read for anyone.
Pawanraj
History and day-to-day life in concentration camps.
S1990
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best Auschwitz books that I have read so far. This man knows how to write his story in a very gripping, telling way. It takes you through his journey and it is as if you stand next to him during all his experiences. Bless his heart for what he did!
« previous 1 3 next »

• This Has Happened: An Italian Family in Auschwitz
  • The Kingdom of Auschwitz
  • The Girls of Room 28: Friendship, Hope, and Survival in Theresienstadt
  • The Mascot: Unraveling the Mystery of My Jewish Father's Nazi Boyhood
Rudolf Vrba (born Walter Rosenberg) was a Slovak-Jewish biochemist who, as a teenager in 1942, was deported to the Auschwitz concentration camp in German-occupied Poland. He became known for having escaped from the camp in April 1944, at the height of the Holocaust, and for having co-written a detailed report about the mass murder that was taking place there.
(Wikipedia)
“Je zlem poddat se aktivně nebo pasivně zlu jako jeho nástroj, jeho pozorovatel nebo jeho oběť.” 2 likes
“Remember that one day of your idleness kills 12,000 souls ... there is only one thing that may be said in your exoneration-that you do not know the truth. This is possible, The villain does his job so shrewdly that only a few guess the truth. We have told you several times. Is it possible that you believe our murderers more than you believe us?” 0 likes