Start by marking “Design and Truth” as Want to Read:
Design and Truth

Design and Truth

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
“If good design tells the truth,” writes Robert Grudin in this path-breaking book on esthetics and authority, “poor design  tells a lie,  a lie usually related . . . to the  getting or  abusing of power.”

From the ornate cathedrals of Renaissance Europe to the much-maligned Ford Edsel of the late 1950s, all products of human design communicate much more than their mere inte
Published April 20th 2010 by Yale University Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Design and Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Design and Truth

Tippy
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I'd like to give 3.5 stars, some parts are truly interesting & appreciate the examination of design & designing societies, your own life, cities, & politics both recently & throughout history. I liked the 2nd third of the book better than the first, a lot of that felt meh/personal rant. But, love the breadth & many great quotes & pieces of history.
Josh Mings
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and it's great take on design. As a designer, I strive to be truthful in design and this book lays out the myriad ways to do so and the consequences that can happen if you aren't.
Christian Solorzano
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. As a graphic designer, I was expecting to learn about my field but rather I was introduced to various ways in which design affects our lives. possibly the greatest chapter is where Robert speaks about the way certain figures throughout history designed their life.
Andrew Galloway
Really insightful book about how the design and thought that go into products, architecture, etc. affects the way we perceive them and the way they affect us.
Brian Smith
Apr 26, 2010
Nick
Sep 12, 2015
Barry
rated it did not like it
Jul 28, 2010
Carl Gauger
Dec 05, 2016
Toni
Feb 24, 2012
Grudin graduated from Harvard, and earned a Ph.D. in comparative literature from the University of California, Berkeley in 1969. He received a Guggenheim Fellowship for 1992-1993. Until 1998 he was a professor of English at the University of Oregon. He has written about many political and philosophical themes including liberty, determinism, and several others.