Start by marking “Der unsterbliche Prinz : Gezeitenstern-Saga” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Der unsterbliche Prinz...

Jennifer Fallon

Der unsterbliche Prinz : Gezeitenstern-Saga (Tide Lords #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  3,691 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
He's insisting he's a Tide Lord and he's begging us to try again...to kill him, that is.

When a routine hanging goes wrong, the survivor announces he is Cayal the immortal Prince, a Tide Lord. However, the only known record of the immortal beings of Amyrantha is the Tide Lord Tarot...and everyone knows it is only a parlour-game, an amusement.

Arkady Desean, an expert on the
Published (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Der unsterbliche Prinz , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der unsterbliche Prinz

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
🗡Let's See How Much Malevolent Villainy and Evil Scheming Fallon Can Pack Into This One Buddy Read (LSHMMVaESFCPITOBR™) with my fellow BB&B Falloniacs Choko, Elena, Emily and Robin🗡

Actual rating: 4.38598744 stars.

Okay, this better not take long because I just finished The Bloody Shrimping Ninth Rain and need to start The Bloody Shrimping Bitter Twins now the day before yesterday so cup the crap to the max try I shall.

“What’s going on here? You’re supposed to behead me.” “The executioner’s o
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.5 What Would Cayal Do Stars
Jennifer Fallon is

description

You know when you read an author and love a series by them so you decide ‘Hey I’ll read something else by them from their earlier works’ and then you are so disappointed because the other series was better or both series seem the same? Well that was not the issue here at all.

I was impressed

description

This story so far is completely different than The Second Sons trilogy. I love the fresh take on immortals and what would happen when one ready to die but can’
Choko
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.25 ***

First off, let me start by recommending that you guys read the awesome reviews of Sarah and Elena, before we continue with my humble opinion:) Great, right?

"...“Kyle Lakesh, citizen of Caelum. You are charged with and have been found guilty of seven counts of heinous murder…”
As opposed to any other sort of murder, Cayal retorted silently, his anger welling up. The headsman’s on vacation? Are they kidding me?"..."

This is how we are introduced to Cayal, a self-proclaimed Tide Lord,
Elena
Joy! This is exactly the kind of fantasy I love most: imaginative, pretty cruel and ambitious in its scope. We've just discoverd it and Fallon's world is already about to get a truly rude awakening: The Tide Lords are ready to make their comeback after long years of hiding, and you can bet they won't be gentle about claiming back what they believe is rightfully theirs (spoiler: everything).

Fallon's take on immortality is quite possibly the best I've read so far: and believe me, as an UF / PNR re
Felicia
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy, fantasy
I broke my "e-book only" rule and ordered this because it looked like I would really enjoy it, and I did indeed! It has a great epic fantasy feel to it, but the characters are very well fleshed out and enjoyable. The conceit of these extremely dis-compassionate and capricious immortal figures was very intriguing, and all the "king-capades" (as I like to call this genre) were interesting because the characters aren't totally cookie-cutter. Will read the next two for sure! (FOR SOME REASON 2 and 3 ...more
Emily
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Immortal Prince by Jennifer Fallon
*****4.5*****

What happens when an eight thousand year old immortal is tired of living and wants to die?

That is the main premise of Ms. Fallon's first book in the Tide Lords series. I had read this series years ago but can't believe how much I had forgotten.

I didn't find that there was an excess of world building (at least not in the present) but the characters in the story were so fleshed out and real I loved it.

Cayal, the Immortal Prince, tries to have him
Carol.
May 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, skimmed
This book was a struggle for me, from start to finish. The overall feel is a book that feels like it's paving the way for other, more exciting events in upcoming books. Most human characters were sort of stereotypical with a twist; the "ice duchess" and academic, intelligent, unaware of her perfect beauty and starved for love; the immortal "prince," who's actually the good-looking rogue who hasn't fully seen the error of his ways; the honorable duke, trying to do the best for the people under h ...more
Steph
Oct 14, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought The Immortal Prince in Australia during summer 2007. I was looking for something that looked undemanding enough to make for good travel reading and also carried the store's "local author!" tag. I hadn't heard of Jennifer Fallon before, but the first chapter seemed nicely written, so I picked this up.

The Immortal Prince felt like the first book in a series (and it is) -- the plot is just beginning to unfold, there isn't any great emotional crescendo, and the ending is left wide open (tho
Lina Al-Midfa
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
If you liked Jennifer Fallon's work, then you'll definitely enjoy The Immortal Prince.

Looking forward to a decapitation execution, Cayal (The Immortal Prince, or so he claims) wants to die. Guilty for the murder of seven men, his fate is sealed. He is to be executed, but unfortunately, the executioner is on vacation, so he has to settle for a normal hanging.

When the hanging goes wrong, for Cayal simply does not die, he is sent to Lebec Prison; Recidivists' Row, reserved for the most dangerous c
Damali
Sep 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
I hate to give a Fallon book three stars, but there it is. I was hoping this book would get me out of the funky mood I've been in, but it didn't. So, is it me? Am I just not in the mood to accept a new series? I can't even really point out any hufw flaws with this book. I didn't connect with any of the characters. I didn't like the way it was set up, that it kept going back in the past, in a first-person narrative, but I wasn't allowed to experience or be a part of the story. Arkady kept going b ...more
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
there is absolutely no reason for anyone to read my thoughts about this book, as this is going to be a RANT, not a review.

why on EARTH does half the the focus of this book have to be a homosexual duke? i mean, really, diversity in fiction is fine -- though a little forewarning would've been appreciated. but the whole situation is utterly ridiculous. he has a wife, who we are repeatedly told is the most beautiful woman ever, but he only wants his lover. the WIFE, on the other hand, is totally loy
Lorena
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was the trouble with hiding for a thousand years. People forgot about you. Or they twisted your story around so much they turned you into a myth; they scorned your very existence until you began to wonder if you were real, or just a figment of your own imagination.
In this fantastical world, Jennifer Fallon blends fantasy, magic, romance and politics together to form a wonderful and fantastical story. With great characterization this story really comes to life. It's the first book in the
Laure
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
This is a book I read a year ago. I found the first part of the book very entertaining due to the unusal premise and characters. However, I found it hard to finish it as it 'sags' somewhat in the middle.
I have not yet continued on the second book in the series. Will do so soon with the hope it picks up again.
Monica
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the premise of this book, and it was really hard to put down
Bryan Giger
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent start for the Tide Lord’s quartet. Here, Fallon blends as great deal of magic, romance, and adventure plus her signature touch of politics together. The book also has a plot that I have never read before. The Immortal Prince is a book that would keep the reader guessing at its many unexpected twists and turns.
The opening paragraph of the book already captivates the reader with its unique storyline. Cayal the immortal prince of legend was looking for a way to die or close to
Amy
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-in-series
I though this was a great start to a new series about the Tide Lords, immortals that have been out of power and sight for so long that the human population of the world doesn't remember they exist. It reminded me a lot of Greek and Roman mythology where the gods squabble with each other and wreak havoc on humans in the process.

Much of the plot revolves around Arkady Desean, an academic and wife of the Duke, trying to figure out if a prisoner who didn't die at his hanging is really insane or an i
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mihir
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is a series which I have liked and the first book is very deceptive in its approach. The story begins by introducing the readers to Arkady, Stellan and Cayal. Ordinarily this would be a run-of-the-mill fantasy that I would avoid like the plague, but with this being written by Jennifer Fallon, it takes on a whole another level.

This book is set in a world wherein Immortals ruled the world and threatened its existence many times over. These immortals are called Tide Lords and Cayal says he's
Tiffany
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, sadly I finished the first book in this series. Mostly because I enjoyed it until the end. I really didn't want it to end. I did guess some of the twists, but some of them I didn't see coming, too much.

Her main character, the Duchess, does quite well in defining herself through the book. Or rather, it's trying to define herself as an academic, and prove herself, in a world filled with men thinking woman are good just for babies. But factor into this the fact that magic is real, and the ma
Emma
May 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
April
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly adored this book, and would have loved to give it 5 stars. I just couldn't do it after seeing all the editorial mistakes throughout the book. I've stopped reading books for bad editing and obvious errors. I ridiculed 50 Shades of Grey for these types of errors(as well as other things).

I hope all this shows that the book is definitely worth a read if I could look past that.

The book itself is wonderful. The plot is very exciting, only dragging in certain parts. I love the world building
Ubiquitousbastard
A little wordy would be my complaint. The beginning dragged, especially with so many different characters introduced at once.
Still, an interesting concept of magic (the whole tide thing sort of makes sense) and the storytelling overall was pretty good. Okay, fine, I kept thinking Time Lord instead, but that's me. For now I'd say this is a bit above average fantasy, but that could change with the next book, depending on how the author handles it.
Also, don't like the anthromorphs. I just don't.
Tiffany
Meh. Mass-market-produced fantasy with average writing (so many typos in the book!). Interesting premise, I suppose, but not really novel (ref: CS Friedman) and I guessed all but one of the "surprises" about three sentences after they were introduced. Will probably read the next one, just to give it a chance.
Jenny
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read it. kept waiting for something to happen. lots of mystery and intrigue. don't like good people being used by evil, and yet, it's probably more true to life.
Kylie
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lauren
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a world where magic has become myth, a suicidal immortal hopes to find a way to die.

This is definitely a story that pulls you in. I found myself very much drawn into the tale of Cayal, the Immortal Prince.

The book goes back and forth in time, as Cayal slowly tells the story of his past & how he came to be immortal. He shares his story with the Lady Arkady Desean, who is there to interrogate Cayal after he didn't die in a botched up execution.

The world-building was not very strong fo
Kris
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I don't consider myself a squeamish reader by most standards. And this is not a book to be squeamish about. Not really. However, when talk of the Crasii, or humanoid animals, came up it got in my way of enjoying this story.

And I did enjoy this first book. I very much found myself drawn into the Immortal Prince Cayal's long lifetime and lore. I enjoyed how human he and his fellow immortals seemed. For all that they have all lived for many thousands of years the twenty two immortals still squabbl
Matt Smith
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I would like to give this four stars, but it's just not there. It's a good book that made me interested in the sequels, but it's not anywhere near a great book. Any time you can finish 600 pages in one evening and one morning of reading there's a safe bet that the book didn't make you think too much.

Then again, any time you devour 600 pages in one evening and one morning of reading there's a safe bet that the book sucked you in and didn't let you go.

What's good about it? Interesting fantasy rac
James
Jan 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: literally no one
For such an interesting premise - immortals, magical powers, werewolf type creatures - this book was so fucking boring I am appalled I finished it. There is rape. Consistently. Everywhere. A race of people bred to be slaves, but they like being slaves, so it's okay. If they disobey commands they get killed. In the end, they're just animals, tbh.

The Immortal Prince himself is aggressively underwhelming in every single aspect. He's so boring. Bored. Eight thousand years old and he's just so bored
Richard
fuckin awful. it's so damn annoying, it just goes on and on about cayel's past. the only problem in the book is proving cayel is actually immortal. i spent the second half of the book hoping that the girl whose name i forgot would fall in love with cayel and some how make the book worth the effort it takes to get through it, because i'm a hopeless romantic at heart, she dosen't by the way. it was awful and the girl was stupid she watches cayel cut off the fingers of his left hand and then doesn' ...more
  • The Aware (The Isles of Glory, #1)
  • The Twisted Citadel (DarkGlass Mountain, #2)
  • Odalisque (Percheron, #1)
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • Tracing the Shadow (Alchymist's Legacy, #1)
  • The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, #4)
Fallon is the author of 17 full-length bestselling novels and a number of published short stories in genres ranging from horror to science fiction.

In addition to 4 complete fantasy series - The Demon Child trilogy, The Hythrun Chronicles, the Second Sons Trilogy,The Tide Lords Quadrilogy and the Rift Runners series - Fallon has written both a tie-novel and short fiction for the TV series, Stargat
More about Jennifer Fallon

Tide Lords (4 books)
  • The Gods of Amyrantha (Tide Lords, #2)
  • The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords, #3)
  • The Chaos Crystal (Tide Lords, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
“Solitude is an interesting companion. It is both enemy and friend, comforter and tormentor. I spent a lot of time in Dun Cinzci's meat locker trying to decide which. Fortunately, when I tired of solitude, I had guilt to keep me company. Guilt is an even more interesting acquaintance than solitude, let me tell you. Solitude is a harsh but essentially benign attendant. Guilt, on the other hand, is a living, breathing creature, cruel and remorseless. It eats you from the inside out; devours what little hope you have left. It feeds on you, growing stronger with every accursed replayed memory, every useless recrimination." ~ Cayal, The Immortal Prince” 5 likes