Start by marking “Selected Works” as Want to Read:
Selected Works

Selected Works

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  262 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A tour de force of scholarship and the art of translation, this volume includes a fully integrated set of translations by a single team, a feature enabling Greekless readers to read widely and deeply in Aristotle with continuity, appreciation for his use of technical terminology and for the structure of his philosophy as a whole. Building on this advantage is the most deta ...more
Published November 28th 1991 by Peripatetic Press (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Works

Polo
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm more of a Plato fan, but it was pleasure reading Aristotle.
Mary
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, mooc
This is probably the only readable translation there is. Although Aristotle himself wrote beautifully, all that has come down to us are writings that are probably the lecture notes his students wrote. So it's pretty hard to follow.
This translation, however, makes the best of it, and it has informative footnotes as well as a comprehensive and detailed glossary. All around this is the book to get if you want to read Aristotle.
In the UPenn MOOC that I took, we read Selections from: the Categories,
George L
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Compared to THE Complete Works of Aristotle by JONATHAN BARNES, Irwin & Fine's translations are somewhat more opaque, and one would get confused more easily. Here is an example:

Physics 190a22
Irwin & Fine
"We say that something comes to be F from being G, but not that the G comes to be F, more often in cases where G does not remain; for instance, we say that a man comes to be musical from being unmusical, but not that the unmusical comes to be musical from a man."
Barnes:
"We speak of ‘becom
Benjamin
Three reasons I love this book:

1. The translations take a middle road between a word for word translation of Aristotle's Greek and a more fluent but less accurate rendering in English prose. Where the translators have supplemented the Greek to make the English more readable, the additions are placed in brackets . Though sometimes I found the bracketed text unnecessary, it rarely interfered with my reading.

2. The explanatory notes provided are in many cases enlightening and in some cases they wer
Ian Paredes
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
now, i'm relatively new to studying philosophy (i've just recently majored in it), and i'm especially new to studying aristotle, so i can't really give any comments on the translation. however, there's TONS of footnotes and a very illuminating glossary of words that provide both discussions on what a certain word might mean, as well as alternative translations that might illuminate a certain passage. tying this book with the cambridge companion on aristotle is highly recommended.
James Benson
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid treatment of Aristotle's most important works, covering more material than most introductory texts (e.g. Categories, Prior and Posterior Analytics, De Interpretatione, Topics, and many others, including all of Aristotle's most famous books). Well annotated and with a useful glossary included. This was the text for my class on Aristotle in university, and I was very much satisfied with it.
Lauren
Dec 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosphy
I haven't read all of this, but I have spent so much time in it that a review is warranted. This translation is amazing, and the layout and subtitles are very helpful compared to other editions lacking them. Aristotle brought sweet relief after far too much Plato, and filled in some of the gaping holes in my knowledge of the history of philosophy.
Courtney
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Very good if you can get past his interrupted/unfinished train of thought. Disagreed with some of his ideas but still very interesting. Need to chisel away at it more when I'm a more patient kind of person.
Kymber Green
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good collection of all works

Good primary source to cite (w becker #s)
André Vridstoft
Besides the fact that the authors have made a few mis-translations from the original greek text, this is actually one of the best english translations i have read to date.
Adam
I've read through the Physics, the Metaphysics, De Anima, Nichomachean Ethics, and the Politics.
Jorge
May 22, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Not started yet but thrilled to read about the guy that formalized logic!
Paul Cato
Having gone through his system I will give Aristotle his credit (though I will always remain faithful to Plato) - he did seem to wrap up the world pretty successfully.
William Wagoner
  • Existentialism: Basic Writings
  • The Essential Plotinus
  • The Greek Philosophers: from Thales to Aristotle
  • The Philosophy of Language
  • Meditations on First Philosophy: With Selections from the Objections and Replies (Cambridge Texts in the History of Philosophy)
  • The Epicurus Reader: Selected Writings and Testimonia
(Greece: Αριστοτέλης)
(Arabic: أرسطوطاليس)
(Bulgarian: Аристотел)
(Russian: Аристотель)
(Alternate European spelling: Aristoteles)

Aristotle (384–322 B.C.E.) numbers among the greatest philosophers of all time. Judged solely in terms of his philosophical influence, only Plato is his peer: Aristotle's works shaped centuries of philosophy from Late Antiquity through the Renaissance, and even today contin
More about Aristotle...

“All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire.” 371 likes
“For though the wish for friendship comes quickly, friendship does not.” 1 likes