Start by marking “Elminster Must Die (Sage of Shadowdale #1)” as Want to Read:
Elminster Must Die (Sage of Shadowdale #1)

Elminster Must Die

(Sage of Shadowdale #1)

Elminster Returns!

Elminster Must Die is the debut 4th edition appearance of one of the Forgotten Realms® world’s most iconic characters, written by the creator of the original Forgotten Realms campaign setting. An instant classic, and a must-read for every Realms fan.

When the goddess of magic was murdered, Elminster’s world shattered. Once the most powerful wizard in th
Published August 3rd 2010 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Elminster Must Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elminster Must Die

Start your review of Elminster Must Die (Sage of Shadowdale #1)
Artemas
Ugh.

As a Realms completionist, this is just one of those books that you have to struggle to get through. This one probably wouldn't have been too bad if Greenwood omitted all of the scenes/dialogue where the villains were busy laying out their plans like a diabolical bad-guy from an episode of Scooby Doo.

Thank Ao for skim-reading.
Mike

Ed Greenwood created the Forgotten Realms setting in the early days of D&D. Many of his characters were created all those aeons ago in the far flung 20th century. OK, so it's not all that far off, but this is his world and these are his characters. Elminster Aumar being one of the most memorable of them all. Elminster, a grey old Gandalf character, was the chosen of Mystra the goddess of magic. With the advent of the Spellplague, for those of us in the real world, more or less, that would be the

Adam Duclos
Feb 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Pete Ames
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Bit of short and sweet one this review. this is fantasy at its some of its most self indulgent. the character development jumps, the prose literally tells you what you are supposed to think the characters are thinking or feeling and the story is quite frankly inane.

that said, its a bit of a escapism, its fun if you have come from the gaming exposure of things like Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale to then find out more about the Forgotten Realms and all in all its a quick and easy read.

However, go
Anne L.
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
It’s been a while since I’ve read a Forgotten Realms book, but the world comes rushing back like an old friend when you start reading. In this story, Elminster is long past his prime, a mere shadow of his former self, still fighting for the future of the world. But he has a difficult choice: save the world, or save the woman he loves? It’s a rollicking adventure, though I must admit that I got a bit lost by not knowing all the background—remember I said that I hadn’t read a Forgotten Realms book ...more
Eyjólfur Örn Jónsson
Sep 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Following up George R R Martins Dance with dragons with this was probably the one of the worst literary mistakes I´ve made in a long time. Greenwoods previous books have been a welcome escape from reality and an enjoyable waste of time but here he absolutely loses it in my opinion. Much of this feels like bad soap opera with predictable characters and ridiculous plot holes. One thing that felt particularly bad to me is an especially stupid reliance on switching out swear words for nonsensical ga ...more
Brenda Cothern
May 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
I love Ed Greenwood and have read all of his work but sadly this book was a disappointmentto me. I felt like I could have read the first 2 chapters and the last 2 chapters and I still would have know the story. Maybe after a re-read I will feel differently.
David Constable
Brayden Raymond
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Funny the things you come across when cleaning and packing for a move. Something that missed my initial good reads catalogue when I first started. Can't remember specifics but I remember enjoying this one. As much as I enjoyed most of the other Forgotten realms novels.
Joe
May 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not as good as the previous novels. Seems to be getting old and repetitive. Too bad because Ed Greenwood is a talented genius.
Ryein Goddard
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I couldn't really get into this book as much as the others, but it was still fun reading it.
Pierre van Rooden
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
I am doubting between 2 or 3 stars.
I like the story, but Ed has a tendency here to overuse certain style elements, and particularly certain type of characters. The repetition of using loud-mouthed idiots for basically every war wizard that opposes Elminster (generally for good reasons) gets old quick. It makes you wonder how Cormyr has survived this far.
The paranoia that Elminster showcases in this book is also out of the blue and unfunded - since it is obvious that there are people who suppor
Chris Jackson
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ed Greenwood is a master storyteller, creator of one of the most detailed and entertaining worlds (the Forgotten Realms), shared among many authors. His characters are funny and engaging, his plots are complex and interesting and the setting... well the setting has produced more novels than any single setting that I am aware of in the history of Fantasy or SF. For a listing of just novels and anthologies (not gaming supplements) check out the wiki here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

I
Silas
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a change of pace for Elminster. In previous books, he has been a very powerful wizard who nonetheless used magic sparingly. He is still that here, but for a different reason... that being that he goes crazy if he uses magic without draining the energy from a magic item to do so. He can be made sane again by Storm Silverhand, who was made young again by, I presume, the Spellplague. The difference is that Elminster in previous books has been rather jovial and hopeful. Here, he is in a rat ...more
Mario García
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Here we see Elminster after the Spellplague. It was sad to see what the Spellplague did to my favorite archmage, but it gives us an idea of what a world changing event it was. As usual there is a lot of action and spell battles, which I enjoyed. Ed Greenwood is a great world builder, and I enjoy his writing, but sometimes it seems like he presents events and characters in a disjointed manner which can be a bit confusing if you're not paying attention.
David Schwarm
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
This is a fantastic, fun read. I had just come off of a lot of Dark Sun material, and it was awesome to be immersed in a land of high fantasy again.

I found the much criticized court intrigue stuff fun, I loved the villains all the way around.

Our cast of heroes is having what in football might be called a growth season--not a lot of strength, but a lot of personality.

Greenwood has moved his main protagonist into the world of 4E with cleverness and grace.
Stephanie
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
It's always good to have no idea what is going on in a book 300 pages in. I really don't get the purpose. It has some reasonable parts. I don't get why the bad guy was someone I've never heard of if I have supposedly read all there is to know about Elminister but hey whatever. I was looking forward to finding out more about the spellplauge and this book did not deliver
Cee
Jan 22, 2013 added it
Not as good as others in the series. A lot of "villain cackling in the background" kind of cliches. It does introduce a couple new characters that might be good in the next book, but this one felt like filler and was very abrupt.
Jake B. Miller
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome new beginning

I love the new team and story building around them. El is one of my favorite characters in the forgotten realms and Ed my favorite authors
Nick Wilson
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good start to the trilogy (continuation of the Elminster novels), a little hard going, but the story and characters are excellent
Kurt
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
not a bad read, classic ed greenwood style, nice reveal at the end again classic ed greenwood style.
Jeremy
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
Too much setup, not enough action. It still gets three stars only because what has been set up sounds like a lot of fun, hopefully the second book doesn't disappoint as much as the first.
David
rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2019
Tony
Jan 14, 2013

• Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • Shadowbred (Forgotten Realms: The Twilight War, #1)
  • The Godborn (The Sundering, #2)
  • Timeless (Drizzt Trilogy #1; The Legend of Drizzt #31)
  • The Wheel of Time Roleplaying Game
  • Swordmage (Forgotten Realms: Blades of the Moonsea, #1)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Blackstaff Tower (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep #1)
  • Venom's Taste (House of Serpents #1)
  • Boundless (The Legend of Drizzt, #32)
  • The Companions (The Sundering, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #24)
  • Azure Bonds (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #1)
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master (Premiere)
  • Shadow's Witness (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #2)
  • The Halls Of Stormweather (Sembia #1)
  • How to Win an Election: An Ancient Guide for Modern Politicians
  • Doctor Who: Myths and Legends
  • Hero (Homecoming #3; The Legend of Drizzt #30)
Ed Greenwood is the creator of the Forgotten Realms fantasy world, which became the setting for his home D&D game in 1975. Play still continues in this long-running campaign, and Ed also keeps busy producing Realmslore for various TSR publications.

Ed has published over two hundred articles in Dragon magazine and Polyhedron newszine, is a lifetime charter member of the Role Playing Game Associaton

Sage of Shadowdale (3 books)
  • Bury Elminster Deep (Sage of Shadowdale, #2)
  • Elminster Enraged (The Sage of Shadowdale, Book #3)

News & Interviews