Start by marking “Chancey of the Maury River” as Want to Read:
Chancey of the Maury River

Chancey of the Maury River (Horses of the Maury River Stables #1)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  221 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
"The sentimental horse story is revived to magnificent effect in this moving novel. . . . Winds to a stirring finish." — THE HORN BOOK

On the night that Chancey is born, a "fire star" gallops across the sky, a signal that a great horse has entered the world. But it will take many years of slights and hardships before the orphaned albino will believe that the prophecy is tru
Published March 9th 2010 by Candlewick (first published May 16th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Chancey of the Maury River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chancey of the Maury River

Whitney Atkinson
OH MY GOD THIS USED TO BE MY FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIME AND I THOUGHT IT WAS HUGE AND SUCH AN ACCOMPLISHMENT THAT I'D READ A CHAPTER BOOK
Yasmin Pirbhai
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, it was such a sweet book. Gigi Ameteu did it again.
Alexa Kinnney
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
I loved this book, truly from the heart. A wonderful book for animal lovers.
Katlin McCreery
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To say the least I've read this book to the point I've got parts of it memorized...
Kacie
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the book Chancey of Maury River by: Gigi Amateau. The book takes place at a little farm called Maury River Stables and is about a pony named Chancey. Chancey lived at a stable that was bankrupt after Monique’s (the barn manager) husband dies. She has to sell all her horses but can’t find Chancey a home. Throughout the beginning of the book Chancey goes to many barns but never ends up staying there. Chancey tries to find his forever home so he doesn’t have to worry about his future ...more
Julie Cotton
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Time: 2011 - Place: Maury River in the Blue Mountains - 246 pages
Summary: Chancey, an albino appaloosa (but very well bred), struggles to find his purpose in life (but not Black Beauty kind of struggle). He tells his story of how he found Claire, his girl, and discovered that jumping was not his thing. Instead, after much worry, effort, and experimenting, Chancey and Claire and the other horses and people at the farm discover his true talent is in therapy riding. Though he is blind in one eye, a
Christine Meunier
A wonderful story about an unlikely outcast of a horse that proves his reliability time and again. Chancey is definitely a novel for the horse lover, full of equine related facts as well as a great story that proves to be a bit of a tear jerker at the end! Told from the point of view of an albino Appaloosa gelding, Chancey is well worth the read.
Jessica
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Told by an albino Appaloosa in a formal first-person voice, this story is in many ways reminiscent of Black Beauty. The style is sentimental, bordering on maudlin at times, but heartfelt and sure to evoke tears. As a horse-crazy girl, I would have loved Chancey's tale even more than I do as a horse lovin' adult. A modern classic to be reread and cherished.
Rhosyn
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given the amazing opportunity to work with Gigi Amateau after being chosen to participate in GOYA (guild of young authors), when I was in 7th grade (i'm a junior in highschool now). I thoroughly enjoyed talking about horses with her while she taught me and a few other girls in the guild about writing methods and tips. This book was stunning both in the writing and the story line.
Lindsay Menard
Jul 13, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am half way into this book and I love it so far. I picture the characters very well in my head (and well, they look identical to GiGi and Judith... 2 beautiful females!) and am loving that it is from the perspective of the horse. Every horse that I have seen since I started reading this book (which is quite a few) I have wondered their thoughts more. Fabulous!!!!!!!
Jenny
I wouldn't have picked this book up usually, but it was chosen for book club. This is a very sweet story told from the perspective of Chancey, an aging albino horse. I would recommend Chancey for younger readers- grades 3-5. It is a gentle story with some sickness and death. Overall, the book is really positive and has many loving relationships in it.
Judy Desetti
p246 realistic fiction. horse story, animal

Told from the perspective of the horse, Chancey. It tells his life story and how he ends up with the perfect match in the girl Claire.

There is a lot of vocabulary specific to caring for horses. I think the books will be appreciated most by girls who are interested in horses and animals.
Stephanie A.
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses, animals, own-it
The writing style of Black Beauty was a little awkward here, and felt like it was trying too hard to imitate the classic, but that was a minor qualm. This is a magnificent new kid's horse story, with none of the fantasy element implied by the "fire star beacon" on the inside jacket. He's just a noble old school horse getting a new lease on life. There is hope for animal literature yet...
Caitlin I ♥ animals!
I read this book and I loved it! it is sad though to think that the horse didnt get to do all the stuff that Claire said they would. they made it to the top of the mountian but the horse was blind by then! overall this was a great book.
Britt, Book Habitue
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meimei
So, I think this really probably went over MeiMei's head (age 6) but oh how I loved this book. Deep emotion and lyrical prose. "Horse books" aren't normally really my thing, but I found this one to be beautiful.
H.orses
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome as an ARC and I loved it, it shows the battle a small little horse can go though and how these animals can really help us in ways we don't even know. It was a cute little book, a bit sad, but it was very good. Another nice quick read.
Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon.
I love this book! The idea is amazing, "Bring love back" And Chancey is wonderful - live long chancey! I SO see a riding school run by Claire, Kenzie, Trevor, and Zach in the future. Saddle Mountain Stables! :)
Judith
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!
Christine Meunier
A great novel about a horse's worth over looks. Told from the equine point of view. More at http://equus-blog.com/chancey-of-the-...
Bonnie Gwyn
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? My mother loved this one. Hahahaha
Kassie
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different reading this brom the horses point of view....liked it...might consider it for one of the book clubs.
Lilian
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good.
L.B. Shire
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! I can't wait to read Macadoo of Maury River!
Emily
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gigi Amateau is brillant!
Samantha
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so cute ! I was blown away of how well written this book is !
Sanah Shabbir
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a pretty good book and was a little sad, but a really good quick read to get ya in the feels.
cassie
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a Black Beauty rip-off.
Melissa
Nov 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a horse person. I don't like horse stories, either. But I really liked this book. It's slow in spots, but overall it's a good, solid horse book.
Elizabeth
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cried... Very good book.
Laeroport
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wonder if I had read this as a kid if I would have approached riding and caring for a horse differently. A good book and interesting from the horse's point of view.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Golden Sun (Horse Diaries, #5)
  • Tennessee Rose (Horse Diaries, #9)
  • The Georges and the Jewels (Horses of Oak Valley Ranch, #1)
  • Yatimah (Horse Diaries, #6)
  • The Perfect Distance
  • Catch Rider
  • Dream of Night
  • Rein It In (The A Circuit, #4)
  • Sundancer
  • The Outside of a Horse
  • Koda (Horse Diaries, #3)
  • Bell's Star (Horse Diaries, #2)
  • Another Kind of Cowboy
  • A Horse of Her Own
  • The Winter Pony
  • Show Horse (Saddle Club, #25)
  • Horses Never Lie about Love: The Heartwarming Story of a Remarkable Horse Who Changed the World Around Her
  • Take the Reins (Canterwood Crest, #1)
Gigi Amateau was born in northeastern Mississippi and raised in Mechanicsville, Virginia, just outside of Richmond. Her first young adult novel, Claiming Georgia Tate (Candlewick Press, 2005), described as “a moving first offering” by School Library Journal, was selected as a New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age, Voice of Youth Advocates Review Editor’s Choice, and a Book Sense Summer Pic ...more
More about Gigi Amateau...

Horses of the Maury River Stables (3 books)
  • Macadoo of the Maury River