Start by marking “The Comeback Season” as Want to Read:
The Comeback Season

The Comeback Season

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  1,412 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
The last place Ryan Walsh should be this afternoon is on a train heading to Wrigley Field. She should be in class, enduring yet another miserable day of her first year of high school. But for once, Ryan isn't thinking about what she should be doing. She's not worried about her lack of friends, or her suffering math grade, or how it's been five whole years since the last ti ...more
Paperback, Reprint edition, 256 pages
Published February 23rd 2010 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published February 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Comeback Season, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

oliviasbooks
'Hi,' he says.
'Hi,' she says back, and then to her great surprise, she begins to cry.
'You know,' Nick says as he hands her a tissue from the bedside table,' for all this talk about how you don't cry, you sure are sprouting a lot of water.'

This could be a conversation between me and one of my friends: What is is with me and my dripping eyes lately? I always used to read reviews of books I loved but survived with all my lashes still encased in an immaculate layer of mascara and wonder what made my
Brooke
Well. This is book two by Jennifer E. Smith for me, and I wasn't disappointed. She has this way of writing that just makes you feel, sucks you into the story, tumbles your insides around with her words, makes you laugh and cry and sight contentedly when you're finished reading.

The Comeback Season just about ripped my heart out, I don't think I've been so moved by a book in a long while! You know that feeling of incredible loss? Heartbreak? That gut churning, throat tightening sensation? I experi
♡Ann  Matalines♡

P.S I can't find any other sports gif.

Najwa (najreads)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

It's not my favourite but was still a good read. There was so many things baseball it was so technical and I couldn't get like half of the book. It was like a different language of baseballs which threw me out. FYI, sports not my thing.

Despite all that, it managed to make the butterflies in my stomach to flip and dance to some cute scenes that is obviously not going to happen in real life. I like the family elements in it. I love how they don't show too much affection to
Elizabeth K.
This was a little disappointing. I had been eager to pick it up after reading a blurb somewhere about this YA novel about Cubs fans. For some reason on which even I am not entirely clear, I know a lot of Cubs fans, so I thought this would be a fun read and then I could pass it along to someone else who would appreciate it. Now, I'm not sure it's worth sharing, it's too maudlin.

The basic set-up is that high school freshman Ryan's love of the Cubs was instilled by her dad, who died when she was 10
Kristi
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryan is accustomed to loss. Her father passed away five years ago, she doesn’t relate to her best friends anymore, and she is a Cubs fan. The anniversary of her father’s death happens to land on opening day, so Ryan skips school to go to the game. This is where she meets Nick. Another Cubs fan and also a new kid from her school. Thus, starting their friendship.

Nick’s friendship and the Cubs good fortune transform Ryan into the person she was before she let herself be dulled with grief. Nick relu
Tammy
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too much with the baseball. I found myself skimming those parts but wishing for more about her relationships with her family, boyfriend, and friends.
Kayleigh
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, I have to thank my lovely friend Jess for telling me about this book. Once I looked it up and saw it was about the Cubs I knew I had to have it.
Second, this book made me really want to get in the car and just drive to Chicago again. I went there in high school and saw a few cubs games at Wrigley and it was awesome. I loved reading about everything Ryan and Nick loved about the Cubs and Wrigley. I loved that Ryan keeps score because I've never met another person who likes to do that. My da
Chani
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-4-5-stars
**This is a Window Seat Blog review: http://readinginthewindowseat.blogspo... **

I love books like these, with bittersweet plot lines and a reality that isn't sugarcoated. However, this is definitely not what I was expecting when I picked up this book. Honestly, that's why I could only give it four instead of five stars. I was expecting a fun, romantic read with, yes, a bit of lesson, but nothing so extreme and frankly sad as all this. I think had I been in the mood to read a book like this with
Aliam Sunshine
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
Paige
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I was expecting this book to be well-written (which it most definitely was) and to be off-putting since it involved baseball (which it was not) but I wasn't expecting it to be -this- sad. I'm still not quite sure what the heck happened at the end, but if it's what I think happened, then I am a sad, sad little girl and I need a moment to cry in silence. Jennifer Smith has written a really beautiful story. The ending was a little rushed, compared to the calm pacing of the rest of the novel, but ...more
Ariana
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: by-color-green
it might be more like 2.5 stars. I don't know, I was not much into the sports talk and I didn't connect with her pain over losing her father, the romance was sweet but not my kind... I loved to pieces 2 other books from this author and I've been waiting to read this book for so, so long. It's just that it wasn't my kind of book.

I'm sure I'll have better luck with my next one.
Alexa
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Oh wow, this book was so good! I may not be much of a baseball girl (as I didn't grow up in a country where it was a popular sport), but I loved this story. Jen's writing style is so different from others, and I really like that a lot!
Chryselle
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I was thrown off by how technical Jennifer E. Smith got about baseball.
Eve
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryan meets Nick at a baseball game on the fifth anniversary of her father's death. On the same day her mum and Kevin her step dad announced they are pregnant much to the joy of her little sister. Meanwhile, Nick and Ryan work together on a maths project whilst they hang out so much they don't go to the school dance together but Ryan does get a shock when Nick reveals he has and has had osteosarcoma tumors which is why he keeps having his arm break.

After getting over the shock, a silly mind bet a
TurnThePage
I didn't know what to expect from this book. The story wasn't bad but it wasn't that amazing either. I really loved The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. That was the first book I had ever read by Jennifer E. Smith and is definitely on of my favorite books in general. The Comeback Season wasn't quite up to the same standards as The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. While I loved the baseball aspect and the relationship between the two main characters, I still found th ...more
Bree T
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ryan Walsh is fifteen and in her freshman year of high school. She’s cutting class to go to Opening Day at Wrigley Field, the start of yet another baseball season for the long-maligned team the Chicago Cubs. Baseball is a huge part of Ryan’s life, her father was a massive Cubs fan and had season tickets, taking her to many games, spending hours explaining the sad and disappointing history of them and what it is to be a Cubs fan. He died five years ago when Ryan was 10 and now baseball is the one ...more
Katie
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely my least favorite of Jennifer's. It didn't keep my attention well, and for such a short book, it seemed to drag on forever. I felt like there was very little character development, and other than Ryan, we really don't get to see too much of any other character, everyone else pretty much was unnecessary. I'm also not very satisfied with the ending, it left too many loose strings. I'm a big fan of Jennifer's newer works, so I would stick with those and skip this book.
Victoria Hawks
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.75
I really enjoyed this story. I actually loved that the romantic aspect wasn't the focal point in the book. It was really a story about finding yourself after a tragedy. The romantic aspects were nice because they weren't in your face all the time. I rather enjoyed the baseball references and explanations. Over all a sweet read.
Azra
One of the reasons behind my giving it two stars is my lack of knowledge about baseball. The story mostly revolved around the sport—laced with a few cute scenes between Ryan and Nick, thank God—that I often found myself just skimming through the book.
Susan
Not one of my favorite of Jennifer's books but I still really enjoyed it. I do wish that the ending was less ambiguous. I loved all the baseball and Cubs talk!
Avery N.
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!!
Cass McCullough
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
currently sobbing. don't mind me
Fitri
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Here's the thing, I have always loved Jennifer E. Smith's book. They were easy and fun and has its lesson. With The Comeback Season, I don't feeling that as much since I practically skimming through a lot of pages.

1. Maybe it's because I don't understand Baseball. There are a lot of facts and myths about Cubs that I wasn't familiar with that I can't relate to the story.

2. I think the mood was a bit too depressed for me. How everything hadn't work out for Ryan, how she thinks too much (that at th
Ellie Thouret

I am a huge fan of Jennifer E. Smith. I love her writing and her editing work. I think I've read all of her authored novels and this was my least favourite, although it was still an enjoyable read.

The prose, as always, was fantastic and poignant and resonant. The parts about Ryan's feelings around her dad's death were excellently-written. My mum died when I was a child and I recall experiencing many of the things Ryan describes, in particular the feeling of being stuck in that time.

I
IzzahAbd

I was reluctant to pick it up but turns out I quite like it!
There are so many baseball facts and for someone who doesn't really like sports it was 1/2 boring, 1/2 interesting.
I like Ryan. The little bits of memory she had with her father is adorable. I like how simple she is.
I LOVE NICK ( I love every guy character there is tho)

the ending bothered me though.
(view spoiler)
Angela Y.
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CatchTheseWords
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really need to talk about this book. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it since I read it, it was amazing and beautifully written but I feel so sad.

Ryan’s father died 5 years ago and she is the only one in her family who hasn’t been able to properly move on. It’s the 8th of April and the opening day of the season for the Cubs. She used to watch all their games with her dad and decides to go and watch the game even though she should be in school. There she meets Nick, a boy from her ma
Becky
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smith, Jennifer E. 2008. The Comeback Season.

Opening Day at Wrigley Field isn't always April 8. It's not like Christmas or the Fourth of July, with their dependable calendar slots, the reassurance of a fixed number.

Ryan Walsh is a baseball loving teen who is still aching over the loss of her father--five years or so previous--her mother and sister may have moved on...her mother has remarried and is expecting a baby even. But Ryan can never forget her father--the man who taught her how to keep sc
Suzette
Rating 3.5 stars.
As a woman who loves baseball, and has a soft spot for the Cubs, this is just what I needed after several non-fiction books. Very sweet read.
Great 1 6 Aug 08, 2012 10:04AM
  • Seth Baumgartner's Love Manifesto
  • Freak Magnet
  • Queen of Secrets
  • How To Heal a Broken Heart
Jennifer E. Smith is the author of eight books for young adults, including WINDFALL and THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. She earned her master's degree in creative writing from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, and her writing has been translated into 33 languages.
More about Jennifer E. Smith...

“She understands now what she, in all her worry, had forgotten. That even as she hesitates and wavers, even as she thinks too much and moves too cautiously, she doesn't always have to get it right. It's okay to look back, even as you move forward.” 95 likes
“Emily tucks her knees up beneath her and leans forward on the table. 'Do you like Ryan?' she asks Nick, and Mom's eyes go wide. Kevin chokes a little on his water. Mortified, Ryan looks away, holding her breath.
Nick turns to Emily, and with mock seriousness, leans down to consult with her. 'Do you like Ryan?'
Emily considers this a moment, tapping a finger against her lips in thought. 'I guess most of the time,' she says finally. 'I guess she's okay.'
'Then I think so too' he says, turning back to the rest of the table. He winks at Ryan. 'We've decided you're okay.'
She breathes out. 'I can live with that.”
16 likes