Start by marking “Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1)

Secrets of a Summer Night

(Wallflowers #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  47,016 ratings  ·  2,529 reviews
Librarian's Note: Alternate cover for this ISBN can be found here.

Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband. So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an of
Mass Market Paperback, 375 pages
Published October 26th 2004 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of a Summer Night, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
BJ I've just re-read this book and feel that he always wanted her, anyway he could get her - he fell in love with her long before she did with him. I…moreI've just re-read this book and feel that he always wanted her, anyway he could get her - he fell in love with her long before she did with him. I think the heroine just assumed that he wanted her as a mistress, because of their class differences. And so she was shocked when he offered to marry her because of that assumption. Perhaps I missed something?(less)

·  47,016 ratings  ·  2,529 reviews

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4.5 I love you Dammit Stars

***********Spoilers**********

photo 9820387_zpsxcmwcc6z.gif

“You…you mustn’t stare at me like that.” Soft as the murmur was, he caught it. “With you here, nothing else is worth looking at.” -Annabelle and Simon

I love Lisa Kleypas! Now a little while back I bought the whole Hathaways series for 4.00 and it was my first taste of Lisa Kleypas. I fell madly in love with all the Hathaways and when I finished that series I went to goodreads to find more books by LK to read. That was when I found out tha
Penny Reid
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read this book (in 2012) I didn't appreciate it. I'd just plowed through a bunch of historical romances and this one blended in with the crowd.

OMG I WAS SO WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This book is magic. I loved it. A LOT. The push/pull between the two main characters was masterfully done. The tension of Annabelle's circumstances (and Simon's ignorance of her circumstances) was so perfect. I loved both of these characters so much. The perfect blend of tragedy, suspense, humor, romance.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Alp
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful story!

This was another gem from one of my favorite authors. As always, Lisa Kleypas never ever fails me. Secrets of A Summer Night had me hooked from the very start, enraptured me in a way that I never imagined, and I found myself having a hard time putting it down.

I loved Simon Hunt! He’s strong, smart, swoon-worthy, and sweet. Yet he could be a bad boy at times. No matter how rich he is, the peers have never accepted him as one of themselves. For the fact that he was born a co
Auntee
May 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves historicals
First of all, a big fat boot in the rear (to me) for letting this gem languish in the TBR for so long! Why am I so stubborn? So I have drifted away from historicals, but c'mon, this is Kleypas--I should've known better! I've loved so many of her books, and her heroes are some of my all time favorite romance heroes (Zachary Bronson, Jack Devlin, Derek Craven)--now I can add one more to the list--the deliciously sexy Simon Hunt (be still my heart)! I loved this guy! Talk about swoon-worthy! I'm te ...more
Katerina
I read it during a summer night.

I swooned.

I wrote a review.

Oops.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

The first book in the Wallflower series, Secrets of a Summer Night is about Annabelle, a beautiful woman searching for a husband, but her family’s financial troubles prevent this. No man wants to marry a woman with no dowry, but Annabelle must marry soon to prevent her family from being put out on the streets.

Annabelle’s only luck seems to be with Simon Hunt, a man not of the nobility, but one wh
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Finally, FINALLY, a Lisa Kleypas book that I actually like! I'm not broken after all!

I was beginning to think that perhaps I was the only person on earth to hate Lisa Kleypas. I 2-starred both Suddenly You and Somewhere I'll Find You, and I was really ready to just throw in the towel. However, I already owned Secrets of a Summer Night so I figured I would try one more time.

#bathtubbook

And I'm soooo happy that I gave this one a try.

This was a great story with a complex H and h, a great set of s
Christina ~ Brunette Reader
Finally getting around this vintage Kleypas. I found it much better written and engaging than her latest historical offerings, which I recently read, though I must also admit I enjoyed Secrets of a Summer Night more as a fun series set-up than for the romance itself.

Long story short, Annabelle Payton is a genteel but destitute beauty who needs to marry for money, quickly. Simon Hunt wants her, he's handsome and now filthy rich, and well-connected into the Ton, but remains a cleaned-up butcher's
Shawna
5+ stars – Historical Romance

This is a great start to a fun, dazzlingly romantic series about four young ladies with very different personalities and backgrounds entering society who form a deep bond of friendship that grounds them as they traverse the rocky course of relationships and husband hunting in stuffy Victorian era England.

Beautiful Annabelle Peyton is determined to find a wealthy suitor with a high position in society to wed in order to save her family from financial ruin. Simon Hunt
Phrynne
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
This is my kind of leisure reading, a good historical romance, well written with charming characters and a lot of witty dialogue.
I very much enjoyed the romance between the two main characters and loved the friendship between the four Wallflowers. The story was really entertaining and full of drama. Loved it:)
I am looking forward now to the rest of the series!
peachygirl
First things first. Where do I get a guy like Simon Hunt? Preferably without a grouchy, stuck up friend like Westcliff??
The things he does for Annabell even after she treats him like dirt... And the two years wait for a dance *sigh* This guy is the stuff dreams are made of!😍
Ingie
Written April 5, 2015

4 Stars - Charming, steamy and much chuckling fun. These determined 'Wallflowers' are women to admire

Yet another amusing 'Wallflowers' HR as audiobook (11 hrs) narrated by always excellent Rosalyn Landor. (You get this one for just $7 incl. the e-book / kindle at Amazon right now.)

photo 6e860d2b-4edf-4212-a78c-511350cc04e7_zpspefkcesz.jpg

Well done, well narrated, very entertaining HR
I liked the of many readers so much beloved Devil in Winter (#3 - 3.9 stars) some weeks ago and this series instalment was just as well written, fun
Jen
I've put off reading this series for so long and I have no idea why! I read the Hathaway books and thought nothing in the HR world could compare. Was I being a tad too judgmental? Maybe. Am I questioning my fierce love of the Hathaway clan? Hell no! Cam's a delicious bit of man and remains to this day one of my favorite book boyfriends.

That being said, I'm adding Simon Hunt to that list. Tall, dark, brooding and "commanding" in certain areas of his life *ahem*. Oh hell yes! Annabelle was a fanta
Mo
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one, a lot. Simon, a self-made man. Born the son of a butcher, he has worked hard to make his money and his place in society. OK, he will never be a nobleman but, honestly, who would want to be. But status matters to some ... and it matters to Annabelle. She needs to marry and marry well. Her family's finances are dwindling fast.

He did not strike her as a trustworthy man ... in fact, for all his elegant clothes and polished appearance, he didn't seem quite civilised.
He was the kind
Jilly
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical romances are like my "Chicken Soup for the Soul." They just make me feel better. When my daughter was younger and would get sick and stay home from school, we would watch Pride and Prejudice - in our P.J.'s, with chocolate. And, I'm not talking about the Keira Knightly version - I mean the six-hour A&E Colin Firth one. It took all day, but it was comforting.

mr darcy photo: The Look tumblr_lhwcpaKvhP1qarlf1o1_500.gif
Mr. Darcy makes everything better...

This book is like that. No matter what's going on, it made me smile. The characters are
Sammy Loves Books
4.0 "Island of the Misfits " stars

What a wonderful start to the series! A group of wallflower misfits make a pact to help each other snag husbands. I love how each member has one a major flaw that makes them an unsuitable bride.

Annabelle

description

Annabelle is beautiful but dirt poor. While men crave her beauty, they have no desire to marry a poor wife...They can just wait until she is desperate enough to agree to being their mistress.

Simon Hunt
description

Simon Hunt is disgustingly rich and has decided that Annabel
Ronyell
Why is it every time that I read a book by Lisa Kleypas, I am always so into the characters and the situations that surrounds them? Well, the answer to that is that Lisa Kleypas is clearly a brilliant romance writer and reading many of her books has been an awesome experience that I have enjoyed doing over and over again! This time, I have read the first book in Lisa Kleypas’ “Wallflower” series called “Secrets of a Summer Night” and it is surely full of drama, thrills and hot romance that will ...more
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

My Review::

This was a very easy, enjoyable read and though it seemed to drag in the beginning, I did learn things about class distinction that I had not been aware of.

I am adding Simon Hunt to my rapidly growing list of favorite heroes, but I can't tell you how many times I wanted to kick Annabelle to the curb. Hmmm...did they have curbs back then? Well, if the did she would have found herself sitting on one had I had my way.

I enjoyed the devious banter between the wallflowers, Annabelle, Lilli
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Good Gravy Beans...this book is good. I've been having a few major problems with my house remodel, and this book - always my favorite of the Wallflower series, saved my sanity! I popped this book in my ears b/c it was loaded on my iPod and it has helped me get through a rough couple of days. LOVE Simon & Annabelle's story. Love how Simon is attracted to Annabelle at the beginning, and pursues her...but also comes to truly love her. Love how Annabell ...more
Karen
5 STARS

“Every time I see you,” he murmured, “I think you couldn’t possibly become any more beautiful—and you always prove me wrong.”

What a journey this was. I honestly did not like these characters in the beginning of the book. That is to say, I didn't like the heroine. At all. And I had trouble understanding the hero's interest in her. She was shallow and self-serving, just as Lord Westcliff had described her. But after a rather significant turning point in the story, and in her character,
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Miss Annabelle Payton, Miss Lillian Bowman, Miss Evangeline Jenner and Miss Daisy Bowman are regular sights at the peripheral of a ballroom. With each young lady having oddities and foibles that make them untenable to the bachelors of the ton. However, they strike up an unlikely friendship each vowing to help the others out to find a husband by means fair and foul. With the beautiful and spirited Annabelle being the first...

Miss Annabelle Payton’s family are on the knife edge of poverty, to st
Ally
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never has man trapping been so much fun to read

Big thanks to Alp for the Buddy Read.

Setting / Time / Genre: Regency, England

Length: 384 pages

Series: Yes and I believe but am not entirely certain I have read the other three. Re-read may be in the works.

Sexy times: Light on the sexy sexerson. By my definition, that it.

Plan on reading more by the author: Sure am!

Synopsis in one sentence or slightly more: Annabelle's family is basically destitute and she conspires with her wallflower friends to
Stacey is Sassy
Awesome narrator enhanced the story.

I love this series and was excited to try out the audio version. The narrator does a fabulous job and I never struggled to decipher which character was talking. This is the first book in the series and my second favourite but only by a smidge. I love the rough around the edges, Simon Hunt. I don't particularly enjoy seeing the class distinction and resulting snobbery.

I will definitely be listening to the rest of the series in the future.
Daniella
May 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An impoverished heroine who does not know what she wants. A determined hero who wants her... as a mistress. A psychotic son-of-a-bitch who lusts after the heroine and is sleeping with the heroine's mother. (WTF!!!!) Debates about how men were superior to women. Drama about belonging to a lower class. And a predictable ending.

Yeah, in short, this book was barely okay. There was virtually no character development, man. I did not like the hero, the heroine and most of the characters here (except f
April (Aprilius Maximus)
2.) It Happened One Autumn ★★★
3.) Devil In Winter ★★★★
4.) Scandal in Spring ★★★★

--------------------------------------------------

OMG SUCH FUN! The female friendship between the 'wallflowers' is 10/10!
Jan
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this first book in the Wallflowers series. Annabelle and Simon are well-matched, although it is rather a rocky path to their HEA.

I did feel a little frustrated at times in this book by the snobbery directed towards Simon who was 'new money', a brilliant businessman but who did not belong to the English Upper Class. Probably quite an accurate reflection of the times, however. Unfortunately, some of the snobbery was from Annabelle herself, and I didn't like that. Yes, she was sheltered an
Julianna
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Historcal Romance or Lisa Kleypas
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" After reading numerous rave reviews, I have been quite anxious to start Lisa Kleypas' Wallflowers series. However, when I first began Secrets of a Summer Night, I found myself wondering if I was going to like it as much as some of Ms. Kleypas' other works. Initially, the story had a much lighter feel than the author's other books I had read to date, with the relationship between the Wallflowers seeming a little like chick-lit (not exactly my favorite genre) in
Jacqueline's Reads
4.5 This series is fantastic!!!

I’ve been sick for the past few days and what I really wanted were some good romance books to comfort me. Some people eat chicken soup, I curl up with Lisa Kleypas, who I think is one of the best historical romance writers.

If you haven’t read this series, you really need to. The series is about 4 ladies and they are consider Wallflowers, which basically means they aren’t the traditional English single ladies and because they are so very untraditional, they aren’t d

• An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • The Leopard Prince (Princes Trilogy, #2)
  • To Pleasure a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #2)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • Devil Takes a Bride (Knight Miscellany, #5)
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn

Wallflowers (4 books)
  • It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
“Having regrets is the only sign that you’ve done anything interesting with your life.” 154 likes
“Annabelle’s eyes stung as she stared at him, while need and inexhaustible tenderness gathered like an ache in her body. “I realized something,” she said huskily, “when I was standing outside the foundry, watching it burn and knowing you were inside.” She swallowed hard against the thickness in her throat. “I would rather have died in your arms, Simon, than face a lifetime without you. All those endless years… all those winters, summers… a hundred seasons of wanting you and never having you. Growing old, while you stayed eternally young in my memories.” She bit her lip and shook her head, while her eyes flooded. “I was wrong when I told you that I didn’t know where I belonged. I do. With you, Simon. Nothing matters except being with you. You’re stuck with me forever, and I’ll never listen when you tell me to go.” She managed a tremulous smile. “So you may as well stop complaining and resign yourself to it.” 118 likes