Start by marking “The Olive Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
The Olive Fairy Book

The Olive Fairy Book (Coloured Fairy Books #11)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  981 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
29 tales from Turkey, India, Denmark, Armenia, the Sudan, and France. The Green Knight is saved by a soup made from nine snakes, the lovely Dorani flies every night to fairyland, heroes hear animals. Eight Punjabi tales, five from Armenia, 16 others. Flying dragons, ogres, fairies, and princes transformed into white foxes. 50 illustrations.
Published June 1st 1968 by Dover Publications (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about The Olive Fairy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Olive Fairy Book

Abigail Rasmussen
These traditional fairy tale stories are rich in character building qualities. The sun may shine purple and zebras may be blue and green polka dots but however fantastical the imagined world may be the stories retain a faithfulness to the moral order of the actual universe. The characters in the metaphors are not just random figments of a fancy imagination but rather reflections of our own invisible world, the supernatural.

The audio book version of "The Olive Fairy Book" is now complete and has
Lila
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Andrew Lang's Colored Fairy Books are classics that I somehow missed as a child. This particular volume has a number of Armenian, Turkish, and South Asian tales in addition to European ones.
Shauna
Sadly, this collection ran more in the way of The Billy Goat And The King, in which the happy ending comes in the form of a wise old goat teaching the King to better control his wife by threatening to beat the poor woman. I'm afraid neither women or men come out of the grand majority of these stories at all well.
There are a scant few tales in The Olive Fairy Book that I truly enjoyed, but they earn those three stars.
Erik
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got this book for Christmas. It's definitely my favorite of Andrew Lang's Fairy Books. I was lucky enough to get an illustrated version. The pictures are beautiful and the stories are entertaining.

My favorite stories:
- The Blue Parrot (my favorite one of all)
- The Story of Little King Loc
- The Silent Princess

A few stories weren't to my liking (The Strange Adve
Mary Catelli
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A mix of tales leaning toward India and the Middle East. "The Green Knight" gives us a new and different promise a dying queen should not extract from her husband. "The Prince and Princess in the Forest" and "The Silent Princess" are unusual tales. Several literary French ones -- which I was, by this point, able to pick out of the others just by style.
Elinor  Loredan
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This book is one of my favorites in the Lang collection because all of the stories are so unique and non-formulaic, though, of course, there are themes that appear in many fairy tales. The only story I dislike is The Billy Goat and the King which, though I'm not a feminist, does grate on me. Most of the others I love, and each other I like very much.
Rachel
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of tales from Europe, the middle east, and Asia. These aren't the traditional "disney" fairy tales that have become so popular. Yes, many have happy endings, but these are traditional fairy tales that contain a point. Help the needy, don't betray your family, have patience, etc. Almost all the stories contain a note of origin, which enhanced their authenticity.
Sandy Carlson
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Lang - 5 start, naturally. Great collection of short stories from around the world. Some are very, very folksy.
Kaion
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myth-folk, reviewed
At this point in the series, Lang must have long run out of the more familiar stories and casted further abroad for this 11th(!) installment of the Fairy Book series. If the volume is somewhat lacking in first-rate tales as a result, it largely makes up for this in freshness. There's also a general cohesiveness to the collection that at times lacking in the Red Fairy Book— sure, there's the same number of literary fairy tales that have been abridged beyond intelligibility— but overall the writin ...more
Susan Molloy
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
“The Olive Fairy Book,” published in 1907, is the eleventh of twelve collected fairy story books that were researched, translated and compiled by Andrew Lang (1844-1912) and his wife, Leonora Blanche Alleyne Lang. Andrew Lang, a Scotsman, was a literary critic, novelist, poet, and a contributor to the field of anthropology.

The twenty-eight stories in this book come from the exotic traditions of from Turkey, India, Denmark, Armenia, the Sudan, and others. Included are “The Green Knight,” “The Dia
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
'My son,’
‘what is the matter?’

‘Nothing, father,’
‘but I have determined to go into the world and seek my fortune.’

‘Be advised,’
‘and remain in your father’s house; it is better to have half a loaf at home than to seek a whole one in distant countries.’

But Ram Singh was in no mood to heed such advice, and very soon the old man ceased to press him.

‘Well,’
‘if your mind is made up I suppose you must have your way. But listen carefully, and remember five parting counsels which I will give you; and i
Justin
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I sort of regret that in reading these books, I didn't take the time to make special notes of the stories I liked best. The last story in this volume, "The Silent Princess", was a definite favorite. I love it when stories contain other stories.
Warren Rochelle
Jan 21, 2011 rated it liked it
One more color to go--
This one--hmm. Some violent stories, and others that I read in adifferent version, such as "The boy who found fear," and then this story of long patience, "He Wins Who Waits"--with the husband and wife separated for 20 years.
Melissa Bee
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Andrew Lang "color" fairy tale books..... Finding them in ebook format has been wonderful.
Kjerstin
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
There were so many cool sotries in this book. It was cool to see where some of the childrens stories came from.
rae
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
all of the books in this series are great... fairy tales, fairy tales, fairy tales... absurd and wonderful and oddly familiar...

uh, this is a 5-star book, but my stars aren't working right now.
Monica
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy strong female fairy tale characters you will enjoy this book. It is a little outdated as far as cultural and social norms but still a great read.
Becca
I'm enjoying this collection. I've read both this and the Blue Fairy Book. I want to read the others, too.
Jenn
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Another fantastic fairy book. Fabulous illustrations as usual. 300 pages later and I still love reading each fairy tale!
Rebecca
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some very interesting fairy tales. Only one more fairy book and I'll have read the set!
Nan Silvernail
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
More lovely old fairy tales.
Stephanie
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good fairy tale book

My children thoroughly enjoyed reading these stories. I actually enjoyed them myself. These make excellent bedtime stories since they are relatively short.
Leli
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Almost entirely Middle Eastern and Indian tales
Tortla
I read approximately half of these stories...goodtimes.
Nora Peevy
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A wonderful collection of tales from around the world with beautiful illustrations. This book can be enjoyed by children and adults alike and is a good addition to anyone's collection of fairy tales.
Suzanne
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Indian stories are particularly well-written.
Sara
Dec 22, 2012
ujjal sarkar
Feb 07, 2016
Mellisa
Feb 12, 2009
Peregrine
Jul 17, 2013
Around the Year i...: The Olive Fairy Book, by Andrew Lang 2 16 Feb 04, 2016 12:32PM
  • Victorian Fairy Tales: The Revolt of the Fairies and Elves
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
  • Black Swan, White Raven
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales
  • Scandinavian Folk & Fairy Tales: Tales From Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland & Iceland
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies
  • Shadow Castle
  • Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • Favorite Folktales from Around the World
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.

The Young Scholar and Journalist
Andrew Gabriel Lang grew up in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders, the son of the town clerk and the eldest of eight children. The wild and beautiful landscape of his childh
More about Andrew Lang...

Coloured Fairy Books (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Blue Fairy Book
  • The Violet Fairy Book
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • The Brown Fairy Book
  • The Orange Fairy Book
“And the old woman who had been the prince’s nurse became nurse to the prince’s children — at least she was called so; though she was far too old to do anything for them but love them. Yet she still thought that she was useful, and knew that she was happy. And happy, indeed, were the prince and princess, who in due time became king and queen, and lived and ruled long and prosperously.” 0 likes