Start by marking “Elvis: My Best Man: Radio Days, Rock 'n' Roll Nights, and My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
When George Klein was an eighth grader at Humes High, he couldn’t have known how important the new kid with the guitar—the boy named Elvis—would later become in his life. But from the first time GK (as he was nicknamed by Elvis) heard this kid sing, he knew that Elvis Presley was someone extraordinary. During Elvis’s rise to fame and throughout the wild swirl of his remark ...more
Published January 5th 2010 by Crown Archetype (first published November 19th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Elvis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elvis

Nick Van
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read. Informative and revealing, but not disrespectful or sordid. On some points, there is a bit of doubt as to how true some of Klein's claims are, but those aren't enough to take away from the overall enjoyment of the subject, or of the author's presentation of it.
Mitch McCracken
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There have been many books written about the King of Rock and Roll before and after his death. I have yet to find one that not only talks about what he did but what he was like when the spotlight is turned off. What George Klein shows us isn't a tale of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll like other books about Elvis. Klein holds off on all of that, preferring to paint a picture of Presley the man. The Elvis he knew we get to see for the first time.

Klein admits in the author’s note that right after Elv
Keith Caserta
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Elvis and/or the early days of rock-n-roll
This is an outstanding book! It captures the joys, challenges, humor, disappointments, commitments, and pathos associated with a life-long friendship with one of the giant personalities of the 20th century. George Klein was there from the beginning. He gives a balanced, insightful, "insiders" view of the real, human Elvis and the friends and acquaintances who surrounded him. In a completely enjoyable narrative, he pulls the reader into the birth pangs of rock `n roll, the society that surrounded ...more
Dee Ardonne
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At last...Elvis exposed!

At last, Elvis is exposed as the loving, generous, caring, humble, insightful man he truly was. Memories of everyday life and intimate conversations with Elvis shared in a way that only a BEST friend could, Unlike many of the self-proclaimed "best friends" of Elvis, George Klein does not dwell on Elvis' weaknesses and flaws. He acknowledges them and accepts them without allowing these weaknesses to define who the real Elvis was. G.K., as he was affectionately called by El
Tony Braca
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
George Klein shares with us little of what we dont know yet the fact that this book came out in 2010 a mere 33 years after Elvis's passing; states that this is not a commercial attempt but an honest account of his relationship with the king. Moreover, George's story doesnt blame anyone but Elvis for his own fall. Unlike, the Jackson clan who are looking for scapegoats i.e Conrad Murray etc..; Klein admits that not all the people in Elvis's life were good for him but that noone (except the colone ...more
Diane
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. My husband and I spent some time in Memphis last Fall and visited Graceland for the first time. As I read the book, i could picture many of the places the author described. The stories were interesting, heartfelt and balanced. I admire Elvis and all he accomplished. Of course not everything he did was admirable, he was human like the rest of us. I liked that the author did not ignore the less than stellar parts of Elvis' life. But they were portrayed in a manner that you would wi ...more
Dale Stonehouse
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a certain few mega-celebrities about which my reading habits seem to have no limit. Elvis is one of them, and this memoir by one of his more level-headed acolytes does not disappoint. Klein met Elvis when the latter enrolled in junior high school in Memphis, becoming one of his oldest and dearest friends. As expected, he does not dwell on the King's imperfections, and has many stories to illustrate what made Elvis such a dear human being to so many. In addition he details his own journ ...more
DawnMarie Kuhn
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read. GK is such a great author and story teller. GK wrote such a beautiful tribute to a man that gave him an extraordinary friendship. While reading the book I laughed and I cried. The raw emotion in this book shows how Elvis truly touched the people around him. After reading the book I feel as if I have a better understanding who EP really was. Thank you GK for writing such a wonderful book to honor your best friend. Priscilla was right when she said your book ...more
Edward A. Korgan Jr.
This is a great read. Listening to GK on radio and reading his story again reminds of what an experience he had. Interesting is that I met and wrote a book on Ken Hicks experience, Florida three years as a personal valet to Elvis, and his , Kens, experiences with Elvis echoed what GK wrote.

This is a great read. Listening to GK on radio and reading his story echoes many of comments that I received from another employee of Elvis.
kathy
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a number of books on Elvis. This book was just ok for me. It really doesn't tell us many stories that we have not read elsewhere, and glosses over a lot of things about Elvis that were not so flattering. I appriciate the effort that George Klein made here in telling his Elvis story, although I have enjoyed other books by Elvis' Memphis Mafia a lot more.
Michael
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
This is probably one of the best written books by an Elvis Presley insider/friend that I have read in a while. George Klein share wonderful stories not only of Elvis but also of the many celebrities he met through his own career as a radio DJ and host of a popular Memphis show that was based on American Bandstand.
Mark Raney
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome...so glad you shared your friendship and love of Elvis...

I couldn't put this book down. What devotion and loyalty to your dear friend. This love of a friend cannot be bought with any amount of money. I am glad to see this part of both your lives. I know he loved you the same. So blessed to hear you on the radio and to see how u never forgot......
Ramona
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heart-felt memoir and tribute to The King, filled with anecdotes that reveal the true nature of this complicated but loyal, generous, and loving man. After all these years, it still warms my heart to read about my life-long idol.
Todd Tieuli
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read countless books about Elvis. I've seen movies, some good, some bad. But I always learn more about him. I love that I can keep discovering things about Elvis this long after his death. GK killed it.
Javier
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't an Elvis biography. It sure tells some interesting stories that defined Elvis' life. Still, from George Klein's perspective, Elvis is still an enigma. "GK" is Elvis' sidekick and he's damn proud of it.
Donna
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best writing but so heartfelt and GK has such a deep respect and love for his friend Elvis. I listen to his Elvis show every Friday afternoon on satellite radio and love the stories. This book has many. love the King even more.
Frances
I would recommend this book to any Elvis fan. Nothing in it I didn't already know.
Once again tons of hanger on people who were afraid to tell him the truth. Sometimes
being a good friend means to stop the gravy train and tell the truth to Elvis no matter
how much it hurts.
Greetje Raftopoulou-heuving
Written with respect,love and humor. Loved it!
Ted
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ted by: Half-Price Books
I was almost persuaded by the author to become an Elvis fan.
Nicole
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely well written by a very articulate man. He is very respectful in his writings. I would say this is the BEST book I've read on Elvis -and I have read a few.
Jerry
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well Done, I learned of GK from his satellite radio show. and if you are an Elvis fan. This is a must read written by a high school friend, that remained a friend to Elvis till his death.
JoDee
May 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Interesting! No surprises but a warm dip in the nostalgia pool.
Tracey Renzi
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for any Elvis fan. George Klein provides great insight into his relationship with
Elvis while maintaining respect for the memory of Elvis.
Jerry Masters
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
I'm still reading it. One thing that I have learned so far is that my good friend George Klein is an even nicer guy that I thought. He's the tops. Everyone should have a friend like GK.
Rebecca
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it. I like the friendship between GK and Elvis. If you are an Elvis fan, this book is right for you to read.
Jenny Jones
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Interesting and an easy read, but not exactly a page turner.
Karan
  • Elvis: What Happened?
  • Elvis by the Presleys
  • Child Bride: The Untold Story of Priscilla Beaulieu Presley
  • Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley
  • Elvis and Ginger: Elvis Presley's Fiancée and Last Love Finally Tells Her Story
  • Elvis Presley (Unseen Archives)
  • Inside Graceland: Elvis' Maid Remembers