Start by marking “The Silk Vendetta” as Want to Read:
The Silk Vendetta

The Silk Vendetta

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  2,196 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
"It is quite possible that [this] is her most thrilling and compelling novel to date."
RAVE REVIEWS
As long as she can remember, the exquisite Lenore Cleremont has lived at The Silk House, the luxurious English country estate of the wealthy Sallonger family. Neither a slave nor a servant, she has grown into a young woman who has shown promise as a dress designer. But she has
Published (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Silk Vendetta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silk Vendetta

Sarah Mac
3 stars is a bit generous, but I'll be nice because VH is a fave.

That said, this isn't her best. It drags, drags, draaaags to the pace of a halfwit snail. What's especially irksome is that the Big Reveal shows how good stuff is happening behind the scenes, but we rarely see it because Lenore isn't directly involved with the infamous Silk Vendetta -- she's only a peripheral piece of the puzzle. Instead we get repetitive conversations, rehashing of a few key points, & endless circling of the
Kavita
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Holt's better books. Well plotted, well characterised and well written, The Silk Vendetta is about a woman who suffers the trials of being born out of wedlock. Her parents are French, but her mother died in childbirth, and her father did not have the guts to acknowledge her existence. But Lenore Cleremont had a formidable grandmother, who arranged excellent terms with her employer to send them to England to help in the business of another and rival branch of the family.

The employe
AgentScully
This book is all about guessing who the hero is. Is it:

Candidate A
pro: he's a nice guy and he actually marries the heroine
con: he actually marries the heroine early on, he's dead meat (or a fruit fly, see earlier VH reviews for the life expectancy thereof)

Candidate B
pro: he's a nice guy and he rescues the heroine from her villainous cousin when she's young
con: he marries villainous cousin's sister, he's a politician

Candidate C
pro: he's mysterious and French
con: I got nothing

I enjoyed this stor
Erin
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Holt is a great writer. Her books have a bit of mystery and a bit of romance all wrapped up in a historical setting. What I love about her is that she is clean! There are no graphic love scenes in her books, just a good mystery with a touch of old fashioned romance.

If you like historical romance novels, but hate the nasty love scenes in some of them then you will love Victoria Holt's books.
TJ
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Holt has such an interesting writing style, very unique. Because the stories are never quite like one expects, I always enjoy her books. This book is a perfect example. It is written first person, from the heroine's point of view, which adds an intimacy with the reader (again, a precarious choice and one that must be done well to succeed). It is a wonderful combination of romance and mystery and even though the villain is quite obvious from the beginning, there are many surprises along ...more
Stephanie
Feb 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was referred to Victoria Holt by a relative who said they were "clean romance books." Well, I read three of her books before this one, "Kirkland Revels," "The Captive," and "Pride of the Peacock," and while I wouldn't call them great literature, they were enjoyable reads. However, I was sorely disappointed in "The Silk Vendetta," because not only was it very dull, but there was an uncomfortable scene where a promiscuous character sexually harasses the heroine. Of course I understand that the a ...more
Anne Sexton
I liked it but the romantic part of it was a little disappointing. The book as a whole was pretty detailed but in a mundane rather than exciting way much of the time. The story was good though.

On the whole, I think the VH novels are under-written at the end - there is not a totally satisfactory payoff, to me. Too many things happen in too few pages at the end - things happens too fast and in particular the romance part is too perfunctory - there are 2 paragraphs where I would like several pages.
Neja
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-childhood
Books written by Victoria Holt are so cheesy, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I've read a loooot of her books when I was 14/15 years old..that was the last time I've read them. I absolutely loved them at the time. I'm thinking of reading one of her books just for the old times sake! =)
Trina Chaudhuri
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong romanctic plot throughout. Although one might know what waits at the end, the end will undoubtedly surprise. The love plot entwines, confuses and then shocks. Beautiful! But the plot of all Holt's books sound similar.
Sara
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
first book that i ever read by victoria holt and let me tell you its got me hooked majorly
Michael
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, gothic
This was my first experience reading Victoria Holt.  Growing up, I somehow got the impression that her novels fell into the category of "trashy romance"-- but then I saw her listed with other "gothic romance" authors I enjoy, so it seemed worth a try.  My verdict, based on this one book, is that it's definitely not "trashy" romance.  Most of the time, innuendo is as far as things go.  There's one scene that may shock some readers-- but in general, very little happens "on screen".

That said, I was
Nickie
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit too long before the case finally unfolds in a few pages only.
The background of the silk production and trade could have been more detailed. It is unusual, not well-known and quite interesting.
MandaFish
Mar 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book just DRAGGED. And right when I thought something was about to happen plot-wise NOPE. There was no plot, which is a shame because I really enjoyed Mistress of Mellyn and Bride of Pendoric. I got half-way through the book when I just quit. I really wanted to know the answer to the mystery, but even that was not enough to justify slogging through another 200 pages about dress-making. And this is coming from a seamstress!
bookyeti
My rating: 3.5/5

One of Holt's better books.

I really enjoyed learning more about the silk trade. The author is known for her attention to historical detail and is well-researched.

The story revolves around Lenore Cleremont, who grows up knowing only that she is an orphan. She lives at The Silk House, an English country estate owned by the wealthy Sallonger family, owners of a vast silk trade. Raised by her Grand'mere, the family's in-house designer of luxurious gowns in the attic rooms of the ma
Sara G
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Holt is a master of the gothic romantic suspense novel, and this one is no exception. Lenore Cleremont, the granddaughter of a French silk design genius, is trapped in events beyond her understanding and control. She marries the son of the family who employs her grandmother, and it turns out that they are distant relations. Unfortunately, the marriage doesn't last long. Her husband is shot in the woods, in what looks like a suicide. Lenore never believes it, and attempts to continue her ...more
Ana Sandoval Poveda
May 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
No me gustó.... definitivamente una "heroína" poco lograda, sus cambios y sobre todo la manera en que de un momento a otro deja de ser quien lleva las riendas de su vida quita todo el interés en su historia.

En algún lugar leí que las novelas de esta autora tenían tramas muy bien logradas y que su visión de la época era muy buena... no me convenció.

Por otra parte, se desarrolla muy poco el personaje del conde francés, por lo que su aparición y su papel en la vida de la Leonore no se sostiene bie
Vmontgzz
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genial
Al principio no me terminaba de convencer pero despues me comenzo a gustar, me encanto que Lenore y su abuela se independizaron e instalaron en Londres, pusieron una casa de modas, su propia negocio. Luego aparecio el padre de Lenore y la comenzo a apoyar, la llevo a Francia a conocer sus viñedos. Ya despues de leer varios libros de la Holt comienza una a ver de antemano por donde va la cosa, la venganza me resulto clara pero una lastima que se hayan equivocado, en lo que no acerte fue en la ele ...more
Zehra
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dull as dishwater. Yet not dull enough for me to stop reading, which is a mystery in itself. The plot is.....weird. Through most of the book, you forget that there is even a plot. But at the end the mystery is solved, while you're going like "oh yeeeah, there was a mystery, I remember now!!". Most of the characters are boring creatures with boring lives. The only exception is the Comte, who only makes an appearance at the very end. I didn't dislike this book but I didn't particularly like it eit ...more
Jollymus
I have read this book many times now and I'll probably read it again soon ^^

It is sweet, romantic with a touch of tragedy and drama. The main character Leonore starts out as a child without a place called home. She lives in the Silk House, but has no place amongst the people living there. During the book she transforms into a strong woman following her dreams though some do not wish her to be happy.

It is written is an easily understandable way and has all the unexpected twists and turns one asso
Katie
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Jodi Brown
These book are classified as romantic mystries. I think they are just sad stories. They are easy to read and you want to know how it ends, but I would not classify them as "romantic" anything. My romantic story once upon a time, they meet, fall in love, have a big fight, get back together and live happily ever after. This book and the other I read make me kind of sad, for that reason I dont know if I'll read any more.
Zabel
Sep 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
Victoria has a talent for telling stories through her characters and as interesting as those stories are I am finding in my advanced years that the outcome if generally predictable. I found myself rather disappointed with this novel for that reason as much as I was interested to see what would happen next.
We'll see how predictable Shadow of the Lynx turns out to be. The other thing I like about her "romance" is that it's nothing like Harlequin novels. Much more tasteful.
Melissa
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Mother suggested Victoria Holt to me and this is the one I found at the library, I have to say I was a little apprehensive about it at first , but it has turned out to be a really exciting mystery, I love books that keep me guessing the whole time . She did a really good job at making you really hate the villains in the book. It was a great read!
Diana
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book belonged to my mother who was a big fan of Victoria Holt. Although the writing seemed stilted, I did learn about the silk industry which was interesting. The main character, Lenore, is a strong woman who perseveres through life's atrocities that are thrown her way. All in all, a fine romance.
Kathy Dobronyi
Began reading Victoria Holt when I was 16. "Mistress of Mellyn" was her first book and after reading it, I was hooked. Enjoyed "The Silk Vendetta" with all its plot twists, but thought the ending led to a sequel. Seemed unfinished.
Maetta
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Girl of questionable birth has to leave her home town with her beloved grandmother and grows up in a house of wealth coincidentally in the same business as her home town. It's a roller coaster ride of joy and despair.
Linda Brungardt
Lenore is brought up in the Silk House and marries a sin of the family. He dies in the first year if marriage leaving her with a child on the way. She opens her own salon with her grandmother and finds success and love.
Farshana
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nool-lib
Was a clean romance story with no embellishments whatsoever. The pace of the story was too slow felt it was dragging in most places. The mystery element ended too soon and the ending could have had couple of pages more!
Susan
Aug 10, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Holt wrote these cheesy historical romances. I don't read romance novels now but I did when I was younger and I loved all of hers. Just because they always take you a different time and place.. A good escape from reality...
Nancy
Mar 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of Victoria Holt mystery/romance books in my 30s. Holt books are a higher caliber of romance fiction than something like Harlequins. Historically accurate. Good recreational reading with something to keep you turning pages.
Carol
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book I have read by this author. The author writes a clean romance book with elements of mystery. This and the last book were both too contrived. The first one I read The Pride of the Peacock would be the only one I would recommend of the three.
  • Columbella
  • The Return of the Gypsy (Daughters of England, #12)

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
More about Victoria Holt...