Start by marking “Rabbit Remembered (Rabbit Angstrom #5)” as Want to Read:
Rabbit Remembered (Rabbit Angstrom #5)

Rabbit Remembered

(Rabbit Angstrom #5)

The stunning novella that concludes John Updike's acclaimed Rabbit series is now available on audio.
Set ten years after Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom's death, RABBIT REMEMBERED returns listeners to the small Pennsylvania town where Harry's widow, Janice, and his son, Nelson, still reside. They are faced with a surprise when Annabelle, Harry's 39-year-old illegitimate daughter,
Audiobook
Published March 3rd 2009 by Random House Audio (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Rabbit Remembered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rabbit Remembered

Linda
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Finally, my journey with Rabbit Angstrom and clan is at its end. Taking place ten years after Rabbit's death, I enjoyed this novella just as much as the last two books even though Rabbit was not physically present. I was especially pleased to find out how Rabbit's son, Nelson, carried on after where we left him in Rabbit at Rest, and that I was left with a sense of hope and happiness at the end of this long saga.
Rob
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect this to be as good as it was. Having read all 4 of the other Rabbit books, I felt like they got stale as the series went on. However, this was a fresh take on the family left over after all of the divorces and deaths. Harry's son Nelson is the main character and keeps the book together well as he struggles to recover his life after kicking his cocaine habit and ruining the auto agency that made Harry rich. The usual sex (mostly thoughts about it)from the male perspective permeat ...more
Dan
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This "novella" (at 7 hours it's longer than most novels) acts as the denouement to the four Rabbit novels. It's really unfair to rate it on its own - I can't imagine anyone who hadn't read at Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest getting anything out of this "Where are they now" update. One could argue that this shouldn't have been written, that Harry's "Enough" at the end of Rabbit is Rich should have really been enough. But if you look at all the novels as a single entity, then Rabbit Remembered i ...more
Ken
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
RABBIT REMEMBERED is a John Updike novella which is included in a collection of his short stories called, LICKS OF LOVE. Updike's 'Harry Angstrom' books occurred to me when I read Jonathan Franzen's, FREEDOM, and I did not realize that Updike had written a new work in The 'Rabbit' Series which takes place ten years after the main character had died. Both authors construct wonderfully diverse and multi-faceted family situations which occur over long periods of time.

Here is what Publisher's Weekly
Will
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Is a book really a "Rabbit" book without Rabbit? Sadly, for "Rabbit Remembered" the answer seems to be mostly no. In this, the final novel in the Rabbit series, Updike revisits the Angstroms ten years after "Rabbit at Rest" and Rabbit's death. The novel starts from the perspective of Janice, Rabbit's widow, but quickly shifts to that of Nelson, Rabbit's son. For both Janice and Nelson, Rabbit, even in his now-distant death, casts a long shadow. Janice, contentedly remarried to Rabbit's rival, Ro ...more
Alex
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dick-lit
People talk about the Rabbit tetralogy and they rarely acknowledge the fifth coda of a novella, included in this collection. It's called Rabbit, Remembered, and it isn't. This is because it's totally unnecessary. It's not bad, it's just irrelevant.

It picks up about a decade after Rabbit's death, and here come some spoilers for this and previous Rabbit books. (view spoiler)

Updike revisits some of his favorite themes here: oblique references to incestual longing that he likes to drop and then skit
Kent Winward
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I completed all five of the Rabbit books, four of them this year. I'm busy so I'm going to cut and paste my review for all of them.

First, Rabbit dies way too young. It is hitting too close to home when characters are dying within my own age range.

Second, all five books need to be read. This is a masterful telling of a life by Updike. Rabbit's life is messy, beautiful, boring, ugly, unpredictable, and totally predictable. The life is real and universal.

We all have things we run from, but we can'
Rachel
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, favorites, fiction
I'd like to give this whole series a solid 4.5. Maybe a 5, but I won't go that far since I faintly remember having some very mild quibbles. I'm sad to be done with the whole thing, but very satisfied with how it wound up. All along, Updike took what were, "on paper", unlovely and potentially unlovable characters and made them real and touching, changing them in subtle and realistic ways along the way.

Still, not recommended for people who like their protagonists more easily lovable or who don't e
Christine
This is the least awful of the Rabbit books. (Maybe that is because Rabbit is dead, and only "remembered") I only read it for "closure" with a series I regret getting into. It all stems from my attempt to read all the Pulitzer Prize winners... and if you read one book in a series, shouldn't you red them all?
Kristen
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finishing this series is so emotional. While the novella is not the best, it was so comfortable to read. Losing rabbit and his family feels very real. It was an eye-opening look at America abs relationships, or at least it felt that way at 22 when I started the series. I’m 33 now and less surprised by people And their flaws— still, the books are so raw and honest. Beautiful series.
Travis
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I said I wouldn't read another book in this series after each one. I guess Updike made me a liar. He's that good. In each book, certain scenes and emotions haunt you in such a way that when you run into a cheap paper back copy of the next book in the series, you are at the cash register book in hand before you know what is happening.
Stacey685
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great series. Nice ending. It was fun to be able to reminisce about my childhood. Although I'm feeling old since 1999 is talked about like ancient history. Well that's an exaggeration.
Jeff
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I won't belabor it. It's Updike's nostalgia, nothing more.

Finally, I can move on.
Susan
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everything gets tied up.
Chris Gager
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I guess it's time to wrap up the saga. I'll get into it a bit tonight after work.

Actually I read a couple(?) of other books first but tonight's the night to start wrapping up the Rabbit saga. The time feels right. It'll be my 1,000th book "read", though that's a pretty arbitrary distinction since the list is not 100% reliable or complete.

This is actually a part of "Licks of Love", a 2000 short story collection. Anyway, things are set ten years after Harry's death and for this story is inside Jan
Darryl
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not my favorite book in the series. But it seemed a fitting ending and tied up the loose ends.
Evan
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It could never be as good without my favourite jerk - Harry - but getting the 'updates' on the family in Updike's familiar prose was just like visiting an old friend. I was fascinated with the changes, with the recollections from after his funeral and with Janice's history pre-Harry. The characters were, IMO, rock solid and completely believable incarnations from the past books. Updike isn't afraid to age people. But I must admit there were elements that bored me (in other words. some feedback f ...more
Joel  Buck
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I don't know why it wasn't until I started reading this that I realized I wouldn't be hearing Rabbit's voice again. It's a change to approach these characters and settings without having Rabbit as our lens, and while Updike manages the change expertly, it's impossible not to miss the character we've gotten to know so well, which I guess is half the point of this novella. Rabbit is a fuck up, as we know, and none of the ways his life has had negative repercussions on the people he left behind com ...more
Aryn
Nov 20, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked this, mostly because when the fourth and final Rabbit book concluded I was distraught at never again getting to read about the adventures of the problematic but loveable Rabbit Angstrom. This novella is held by Rabbit's son Nelson, who has turned from drug addict in the last of the Rabbit novels, to a Dali Lama quoting therapist at a day treatment center. Although the novella centers around Nelson the hoopla is focused around Annabelle, Rabbit's illegitimate daughter by Ruth, the woman h ...more
Kristen
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 7-read-2014
This entire story made me sad that Rabbit was gone. I wanted to know what he thought of Monica Lewinsky, American Beauty, and email. The other characters are interesting in their own realm, but not the same way that Rabbit was. I love the ending and the entire night of New Years 1999-2000. It is strange being of an age that I have adult memories of dates that now seem so long past.
This series is similar to the 7UP series and the Before Sunrise series. I always love stories that compress a life
Michelle
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I liked this better than the other Rabbit books in some ways, whereas I felt like it fell short in others. There was a lot of sadistic family stuff going on that was breathtakingly gross, but overall I liked the relationship between Nelson and Annabelle -- it felt like the first more-or-less healthy family relationship in the entire series. Another thing that kind of bothered me was the way that both Nelson's and Janice's interior monologues were basically identical to Rabbit's. That ...more
C Daniel
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This brief novella reunites readers with Nelson, his mother, Janice, and his long-suffering wife, Pru. Harry a.k.a. Rabbit has been dead for ten years now. Janice has remarried, Nelson and Pru are separated, and Annabelle Byer discovers that yes, Harry is her biological father. As always, Updike splices this work with historical references that resonate with readers and bring the world to life. You do miss Harry, no matter how unlovable he was in real life. What I like most about this last trip ...more
D.H. Jonathan
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
With this, I have finished reading all of Updike's tales of Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom and his family. The quality of this novella wasn't quite up to that of the last two novels in the series, Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest. It is much shorter, of course, and it suffers from Harry's absence. Each entry in the series was written ten years after the previous one, and in this we see Harry's illegitimate daughter show up to meet her half-brother and the rest of Harry's family. It was written in 2000 ...more
Bill
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Not up to par with the previous three books (which I absolutely loved). I see what Updike was trying to do; document (as it were) Rabbit's life by what remained of it, but it doesn't really work for me, anyway. Very little actually reflected Rabbit in any real way. Ultimately, it feels like an attempt to reboot the series, though I know it was anything but.

Not really worth the read.
Elmwoodblues
May 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
As much as I love Updike's voice, there was not a character in this story I didn't want to get away from as soon as possible. Perhaps if Rabbit himself was on the stage, there would have been a more-compelling train wreck to watch? RIP, Harry.
Mark Malone
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rate this novella 4 of 5 -- EXCELLENT. For some reason I liked this short conclusion to the Rabbit series more than Rabbit At Rest, probably because it ties up a lot of loose ends. But Updike kept me guessing what would happen to the characters till the very end. :-)
Denise Hisey
May 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
I 'read' this as an audio book, so part of the problem may have been with the narrator. But, it seemed a little slow and the characters weren't developed very deeply. I enjoyed the 'realness' of the dialogue, however and the believability of the characters.
Shari
May 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Updike was cashing in on the Rabbit Angstrom series by sneaking in one more book. Rabbit has been dead for ten years in this book. It is the new millennium and Annabel (Harry's love child) has introduced herself to Janice and Nelson. The book is far too short for anything to really develop.
Lynzo
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
i listened to this almost 2 years after finishing the rabbit books, so it was hard to remember some of the characters. when i did, though, certain parts of the books came flooding back. i'm glad this was made, but i miss rabbit.
Alyssa
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Updike has a way of making you feel mildly uncomfortable and in edge reading this novella. There was a strange sexual undercurrent to the entire thing, but like all of his work, leaves you thinking long after you finish.
  • So zärtlich war Suleyken
  • Fiasco
  • Nero Corleone
  • The Four-Gated City (Children of Violence, #5)
  • Haus ohne Hüter
  • A Moment of True Feeling
  • Fanny och Alexander
  • Bronsteins Kinder
  • Die Kunst des Bücherliebens
John Hoyer Updike was an American writer. Updike's most famous work is his Rabbit series (Rabbit, Run; Rabbit Redux; Rabbit Is Rich; Rabbit At Rest; and Rabbit Remembered). Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest both won Pulitzer Prizes for Updike. Describing his subject as "the American small town, Protestant middle class," Updike is well known for his careful craftsmanship and prolific writing, havin ...more

Rabbit Angstrom (4 books)
  • Rabbit, Run
  • Rabbit Redux (Rabbit Angstrom #2)
  • Rabbit Is Rich (Rabbit Angstrom, #3)
  • Rabbit at Rest (Rabbit Angstrom #4)