Start by marking “Code (Virals, #3)” as Want to Read:
Code (Virals, #3)

Code

(Virals #3)

The Virals are put to the ultimate test when they find a geocache containing an ornate puzzle box. Shelton decodes the cipher inside, only to find more tantalizing clues left by "The Gamemaster." A second, greater geocache is within reach—if the Virals are up to the challenge.

But the hunt takes a dark turn when Tory locates the other box—a fake bomb, along with a sinister
Published March 7th 2013 by Young Arrow

To ask other readers questions about Code, please sign up.
Paddy Delmar If you have to ask this question then you are not familiar with K9 social hierarchy. Yes, she would have been bossy anyway but now she has the…moreIf you have to ask this question then you are not familiar with K9 social hierarchy. Yes, she would have been bossy anyway but now she has the genetics to back it up.(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,578 books — 11,058 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,506 books — 12,284 voters

More lists with this book...

Abby
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You know, one of the best feelings in the world is going to bed and knowing that the next morning the next book in one of your favorite series is going to be on your kindle. But that's second-to-best to actually reading the thing.

Sentimentality aside, I loved this book!

The characters are back in full swing. Tory is either first or second on my all time favorite charcters list.

I began to feel uneasy about Ben. His feud with Jason escalates to the point where the Virals have to drag him
C M
Aug 23, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: reviewed
My god. I think I'm going to die, for good and bad reasons.

Want to hear them?

1. This book comes out in 2013?!?!
[image error]
I think I will go live like a hermit till this book comes out.

2.The cover sucks, to put it bluntly.

I mean, Reichs gives us this,

Then gives us this (in which Ben looks retarded, otherwise a great cover),
description

And for the third book we get this?

You tell me what's wrong with that picture.

Now you get to hear the positive stuff!

3. We get Tory back! I love her. She is the ideal kick-bu
Sophie
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There is NO POSSIBLE WAY anyone could give this anything less than 5 stars. It is just impossible. This book was the breath-taking, nerve racking, mind blowing third book in the Virals series.
May I repeat.
NO POSSIBLE WAY.

So, with that off my chest, I will begin my review.

Oh. My. Freaking. GOD.

(view spoiler)
Hypatia
Jul 03, 2012 marked it as to-read
Can't wait for the next installment in this exciting series! Most books in YA revolve around romance, but the Virals books are pure adventure and a refreshing break from the norm.

*Update*
Sees cover- "WHAT THE HELL? That BETTER be temporary......"
*Update #2*
Wait. What? March 7. 2013. 2013. 2013.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
I'm just going to say that's an accident and give SOMEBODY time to change it back to August 2, 2012. *HINTHINT*
VG/Allie
Oh-mi-goda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want the book now!!!!!! and im forced to wait to 2013...... GIRRR
*************
OHHHHH!!!! THE cover is pretty! But i like the other two better.....
*************

(Post reading Initial Rant) Good book starling ending why Ben why???? and there must be a 4th.

Now that time has pasted and now I can think coherently about this book and not just scream at the characters and Kathy Reichs.....

Ok, "Code" was by far the best of the Viral Books so far (there must be a fourth!)
Mary
Kind of mixed feelings about this one. I might have enjoyed it more if I could turn off my critical perspective and looked at it purely for its entertainment value (like I do for the Alex Rider series), but I wasn't able to for this one. Still, I'm not done with the series yet; the premise for the next book definitely intrigues me, and I've enjoyed things well enough so far to give the Reichs a second chance.

The good things:

1) The Reichs know how to write a tense and action-packed story; it was
Aether
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This. Was. An. Awesome. Book.
Go, Kathy Reichs! I love the whole virals thing, its enormously inventive. I still havent recoverred from this book. Read it twice in 5 hours. (view spoiler)
Rachel Sh
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first received this book through the post, I literally squealed with excitement and started dancing around my room. I'd loved the previous two books in the series - Virals and Seizure - and couldn't wait to start reading the latest instalment. And, though it was still a really great read, unfortunately, it just wasn't as good as the other two. I found a couple of faults. :(

I think I'll start off with the negative first. Now, when I first started reading this series, I was thirteen - a cou
Jason Lalljee
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Update: Writing is a little clunky and some things are predictable, but wow- what action. Breakneck pace, fantastic plotting, it kept me up all night reading. I eagerly anticipate the next installment!
...

So, two things:

a) THIS EXISTS? I love the Virals series, but it isn't that popular, so I haven't heard about it in the way I usually do, through my GoodReads buddies chatting about it in my feed or coverage being posted on choice entertainment sites. I was looking through reviews today, and lo
Deena Beena
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
MARCH 7th 2013 ?!?!?!?!?!?! WHAT?!
SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THAT THIS ISN'T TRUE.
Oh my god I'm going to die.

NEW COVER! BETTER COVER YES! WOOHOOOOO.

UPDATE:
THIS CAN'T BE IT! Someone pleeeeeaaaaaase tell me if Reichs will continue the series. SHE LEFT ME HANGING! I started this series when I was 13, and I'm now 16, I can't have them end now! This book was by far the most adrenaline pumping. My heart was beating like 1150 per minute. IT MUST CONTINUE!
Tatiana
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Never before have I met a character more oblivious about romantic intentions than Tory. I thought no one could be more oblivious than Sydney Sage, but clearly I was wrong. Dear Lord, child, what must he do to tell you he likes you? Make out with you?! Poor Ben....

Not to mention.....when will they start listening to poor Coop??? The wolfdog is practically an early alarm system against all things dangerous....he doesn't growl at things just because he's cranky! There's a reason!! GAH!
Matt
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook

The Reichses (permission to call them Reichs-squared, or just Reichs for this review?) do it again with another great YA novel. Having recently read and reviewed ‘Shift’, the short story by these two to bridge the previous novel to this one, I am refreshed that things have returned to normal and the hokiness found in ‘Shift’ is gone. Reichs returns with a full-on adventure that have the VIRALS tackling some very interesting and somewhat confusing clues to crack the code and solve the greater mys
Jess
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
BEN WHYYYYYYY
Grace
Wut. Seriously though what the heck? Ok I'm getting ahead of myself, this book was phenomenal obviously by the rating I gave it. Kathy Reichs, you're the bomb. I've been with this series from the beginning back when I thought Virals was a stand alone. I deeply hope there is a next book to this series (she cannot possibly leave it like that). Now this book was different from the others. It was still you know the Virals taking care of business, but it was more hardcore. Which was like, whoa, this ...more
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
Maybe I'm getting too old for these, but I wasn't nearly as sympathetic to Tory in this book as I have been previously. I like Tory, and I get that she has a lot of drama and stress on her shoulders, but her relationships are getting awfully manipulative.

Even though she has no romantic interest in Jason whatsoever, she continues stringing him along just because she needs him for things. And then she gets mad at Ben for acting jealous. Ok, I can see why she wouldn't see Ben's interest in her, si
Mikaela
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absolutely Everyone!!!
Shelves: favorites
Okay, freaking awesome book!! Most books in series kinda goes down hill and the first book is the best. Not so in this series! This book is so much different that the first two, but yet better in ways. (view spoiler) ...more
Kirsty
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just finished the book. I want to cry....... i could not believe the ending, it was a total twist I didn't see coming.
(view spoiler)
Emma Lauren
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Code by Kathy Reichs was the third installment in the Virals Series. It follows our Virals Pack as they are trying to solve the puzzles set forth by the manipulative and toxic Gamemaster. The story itself was very interesting, but many of the plot points were predictable. I liked how we seemed to see Tory grow up more, but I would have liked it much more if there wasn't the "two-boy-one-girl" romance trope. If you ignore that, I feel like the book is somewhat good. I look forward to seeing how t ...more
Mary-Morganne
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hate the cover, love the books. but you know what they say, don't judge a book by its cover! but seriously, I think they changed the publisher. wasn't it penguin or puffin or something before? bet thats why they changed the covers. P.S. saw on kindle store they changed Virals 1 too. get the good cover while it lasts!
Joel
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Let me start by saying that on the whole, I enjoyed this book. Keep that in mind, because my review may not sound like I did.

Code by Kathy and Brendan Reichs is a quite enjoyable book for the teen audience, much in the tradition of The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and, for younger audiences, The Boxcar Children. People like their mysteries, (see television: CSI, NCIS, The Mentalist... if it's fiction and not a sitcom, it seems like it's mystery based) and I feel like the teen mystery really clicks wi
Nathaniel
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventure/Mystery lovers
Recommended to Nathaniel by: Quill
OH MY GOD.. this book is definitely my favorite in the series by far. The ending chapter was amazing and I don't want to say because of spoilers but, dammmmmmmmm I want to start reading the next book right now. The story amazing and the character development absolutely a 10/10.

Code was definitely outstanding and had an ending that I didn't expect. This tale was full of excitement and it really made you think! Again as I have said million times, it has been holidays so i wanted to ready like str
Jay
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Freakishly amazing.
Awesomely horrifying.
And I think the felony count was only four this time. Though being scolded by a monk was definitely a new one.
Everything's at an all-time high in Reichs' "Code". Terrifying plot, stomach-churning anxiety, finger curling irritation because while the main character is amazing at putting the pieces together, apparently she's way too clueless about the feelings of the boys around her.
And that ending. With Ben. There were tears in my eyes. I was not expectin
Nessa
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series is awesome! I think each book is better than the last!
Heather Pearson
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
i feel this is the best in the series yet.
Kenzii
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Kenzii by: My amazing intuition
What did you think? Goodreads asks me.

HOLY. I CAN'T EVEN.

THIS WILL HAVE LOTS OF SPOILERS BECAUSE I JUST NEED TO TALK ABOUT IT!!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

This has got to be the best one yet. Tory is still as bad as ever, the boys are still as smoking and funny, and-

WOAH. Who saw that ending!?!?!?!? My heart shattered in two when I found out...(view spoiler)

Anyways, the plot was amazing. I think it's the best one yet. Basic summary: Hiram and Shelton a
Kelsey
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
What I Think: I need to start by saying that I'm a very big fan of Kathy Reichs so I may be bias. I think that she is a great writer and I always enjoy reading her novels especially her young adult novels because they still require thought but are at a level that are easy to understand and easy to read. They make you feel like you are getting the science of a more hardcore novel but are still able to enjoy the drama of teenage life. It mixes two of my favourite things. I was however very dissapo ...more
Michelle
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so excited to be joining the Virals, Tory, Hi, Ben, Shelton and Coop, on another adventure. Code has been one of the books I have been eagerly awaiting its release and I was super excited to receive a copy for review.
Geocaching is the new hobby for Hi. What started out initially as a hobby, soon turns out to be a deadly game of hide and seek, with lives at stake. The Virals must find and solve all the clues before time runs out, and someone dies. To add to the chaos, Tory also has to deal w
Nessie
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! Riveting with suspense, betrayal and revenge the Reichs really done it with this book. It is definitely my favourite out of all the virals series!

This is isn't just cliche love/adventure story where the characters inevitably get together in the end with sunset in the background and them holding each other in their arms. It's a heck lot twisted than that which is why I love it so much!

First of all if you read the prior books (which i suggest you do!) we all know that Ben the
Kathy Martin
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The action never stops in this science fiction thriller series. This time Tory and the other Virals find themselves in a race to solve the clues left by the Gamemaster before he unleashes a terrible tragedy. It begins innocently when Hi buys a metal detector and begins geocaching. The kids discover a hidden box Loggerhead Island that begins a treasure hunt with codes, clues from chemistry, and other clues to test their abilities. They need to keep the game secret or face serious consequences.

Mea
Brenda
We join the Virals once again on another adventure, this time a gripping, death defying race against time!

The Research Institute on Loggerhead Island that Tori’s dad, Kit, was in charge of had been rescued from financial disaster, thanks to Tori and her pack of Virals’ last adventure in Seizure…Tori, Ben, Hi and Shelton, along with Tori’s wolf-dog Coop have been finding things quiet and peaceful, quite tranquil in fact. Until the day Hi brought his new metal detector to the beach, after deciding
Is any one else in love with this series, and are crazy for the next book??? 22 68 Jan 21, 2015 05:14AM
Disappointing series 4 17 Oct 27, 2014 03:30PM