Start by marking “Survival at 40 Below” as Want to Read:
Survival at 40 Below

Survival at 40 Below

The award-winning Alaskan picture book duo is back with a look at the long arctic winter. As temperatures drop and the snow deepens, the animals that make the tundra home must ready themselves for survival. Follow the arctic ground squirrel as it begins the cycle of sleeping, supercooling, and warming that will occur at least a dozen times before spring arrives. See how ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Walker Childrens (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Survival at 40 Below, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Survival at 40 Below

Start your review of Survival at 40 Below
Julianne
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-a-day-2019
Very interesting and informative book told in narrative form. She highlighted adaptations that I had never heard of. Also the cyclic organization was a nice touch.
Samantha Meyer
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eced-221
Summary
Survival at 40 Below by Debbie S. Miller is an informational book about animals that live in Alaska and how they prepare for winter. There is a frog that actually stops its heart before hibernation. Other animals burrow under the snow. Still others produce a substance that doesn't freeze and coat their bodies so that ice won't form on them.
Critique
This book is a teacher's choice for obvious reasons. The theme is arctic animals and their lives as the cold winter months come around. It is
Sunday
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This text is packed with interesting facts about how animals survive frigid winters in Alaska’s Gates of the Arctic National Park. A frog’s heart stops beating during hibernation, the chicken-like ptarmigan burrows into the snow, and the arctic fox wears two winter coats. With poetic-like prose, on each page, Miller describes the adaptation of one particular animal to this long, cold period. The acrylic paintings capture the essence of the winter terrain and the characteristics of the animals ...more
Briere Lohnes
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t-l-307
By using wonderfully detailed and beautifully painted illustrations, this 2010 Informational book takes the reader on a journey through various environments in Alaska. As a more informational conceptual book, it provides a great way for students to begin learning about different animals living in diverse environments that many would think uninhabitable. Thus, the author details the different animals, and how they work to survive in the harsh wilderness of Alaska. Additionally, this book would be ...more
Sue
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Survival at 40 Below is a book that describes some of the amazing adaptations of arctic animals for winter survival. Above the Arctic Circle, animals must prepare for the extreme cold and long winters. Snow covers the ground from October until May, and the average temperature is below 32 degrees F. Each species has developed successful adaptations in order to survive temperatures that can drop to 40, 50, 60, even 70 degrees below zero! Can you imagine?!

This is a great book to use with an Arctic
Angie
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-non-fic
Oh, I liked this one. The paintings are beautiful ... cool colors that almost help you to "hear" the quiet. Then interesting facts about the animals and the adaptations that help them to survive in this frigid climate. I need to order this one pronto! Even though it's cooled off some here in Texas ... anything that will help our kiddos understand places that are very different is a good thing. Might help inspire them to take better care of the planet.
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
While the information in this book is accurate (to my knowledge) and interesting, the lack of text features and uninspiring artwork make it a no-go for me. This is the kind of book that, while very good for students, is just not quite attractive or appealing enough for students to pour through.

Recommended as curricular support only. This is one I'll skip for my elementary collection.
Erika
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is that I am amazed--amazed at all God's creatures being soooo vastly different and adaptable. Amazed that our world is so diverse in its weather and habitat. Amazed that my brother and his wife live somewhere that can be 93 in the summer and -70 in the winter. Uncle John sent Seth this book, but I had to read it first!!!
Teri
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Can I just say again, that I really like this author? :) In this book she explains HOW animals survive in such brutal temperatures. For example, she explains how a frog's liver produces lots of glucose that keep the insides of the frog's cells from crystalizing, effectively making a frogsicle that will thaw in the spring. Great winter read.
Tanya W
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, non-fiction
Well, 3 1/2 stars... the subject just wasn't as captivating as The Great Serum Race (if we had read this first, maybe I would have like it more). Still it was a great non-fiction book with many interesting facts of how animals survive sub-zero temperatures.
Karla Talbot
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Greta information about how animals adapt to survive in the tundra. Connect with units on biomes, animal adaptations, and hibernation.
Jayden Sponholz
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was good.
Heather
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
This will be useful in teaching hibernation or in units on wildlife or Alaska.
John
Sep 11, 2016
Skylar
May 21, 2018
William A Weeks, Jr
rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2018

• Butterflies And Moths
  • When the Wolves Returned: Restoring Nature's Balance in Yellowstone
  • Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World
  • Lizards
  • Charged: Overzealous Prosecutors, the Quest for Mercy, and the Fight to Transform Criminal Justice in America
  • The Buzz on Bees: Why Are They Disappearing?
  • Everything Dog