Start by marking “I Am Spock” as Want to Read:
I Am Spock

I Am Spock

The long-awaited memoir by the actor behind the most beloved character from the Star Trek universe—Leonard Nimoy's Mr. Spock. From the first incarnations of the character through Nimoy's triumphant appearance on a special episode of The Next Generation, this memoir gives a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the making of a phenomenon—and the creation of a legendary char ...more
Published 1995 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about I Am Spock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Spock

Start your review of I Am Spock
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
May 3, 2016: I am going to update a little on this review since I just read Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man and I feel I need to come back to this book a little.

This book was re-issued not long after Leonard's passing. Or at least I think it was because suddenly it was available to buy again and I grabbed up my copy. This book is so wonderful, it tells so many things I never knew about Leonard. I know that I loved him so much and I cried my eyes out for a few days after
Mauoijenn
I love this guy. I was very sad to hear when he passed a few weeks ago, but he will forever live in us, his fans!!

This was such a great book about the life of Leonard Nimoy and how he made the character Spock a cult icon. His acting as Spock brought me back for reruns during my childhood in the 1980's to going to the theater with my folks to see the movies. Such an awesome guy and actor!!
Chelsea Norton
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be such an entertaining and informative read, not just as a Star Trek fan but as a creative professional as well. I loved reading about Leonard’s behind-the-scenes experiences as an actor and director. Learning how the story concepts for the films were fleshed out and all the hiccups they encountered along the way was, well...fascinating. And of course, the internal banter between Spock and Nimoy was a fun way to introduce each chapter.

Leonard was a brilliant man whose work conti
Lindsay Stares
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Reading this book has caused me to think a bit about my own perspective. I wonder what it's like to read a book like this, an actor's memoir, and not have a background in the performing arts. Does it help people understand what it's like to work in the industry, or do they come away from the book thinking they understand, but with the wrong messages?

I do come at this book with a background in performing arts, and am familiar with actors of many types, so what I get from this book, especially whe
Sophie
"Why, of course I know him! My son watches him on TV all the time!" And she reached out to shake my hand. "You're Leonard Spock!"

let me confess up front that i'm a trekkie, i love everything about star trek and i worship leonard nimoy (and of course the character he portrayed, spock). having said that, it was impossible for me not to adore this book. it was well-written, informative, fascinating and extremely witty. i highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about star trek.
Disclaimer: I am a Star Trek fan although I'm not of the obsessed type.

As a teacher, I felt the need this summer to read for my own enjoyment. I bought this book ($.99 + S&H) on eBay and added it to my To-Be-Read pile. I finally made my way down to this book last week.

When I opened the book, I noticed a blue (Sharpie?) scrawl on the title page. I figured it was part of the "good condition" (some writing in book) on the auction description.

In chapter 2, I found a Borders bookmark and a folded she
Jim Cooper
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audio version read by the author. Nimoy covers his Star Trek life from the original series through the movie. Was really cool to see everything from his point of view, especially the creation of the show.

Also - Leonard Nimoy directed Three Men and a Baby?! I did not know this.
Dave
I couldn't help but thinking while I was reading this that Leonard Nimoy was a royal pain in the ass during his affiliation with Star Trek. It seemed as though the big heads of the show were constantly trying to find a way to get rid of, or at least diminish the role of Spock without trying to offend Leonard Nimoy. The fans had the last word on this, however.

Nimoy also made it seem as though Spock was far and beyond the most important character on the show. I will agree that Spock was important
Fiona
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a really interesting insight into the world behind Star Trek and plus into the professional life of Leonard Nimoy besides this phenomenon.
I really loved the dialogs between Nimoy and Spock and his little anecdotes.
Plus this book made me want to rewatch the tvshow and the movies again. And in the end I was really sad, that the book was over, the last sentences ("I'm only human, and I have no doubt Spock will outlive me by many years. I can only hope that, once in a while, when peopl
rivka
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkies!
Shelves: startrek, non-fiction
March 2015: With Nimoy's recent death, it seemed an appropriate time to re-read this.

And it was indeed. RIP, Mr. Nimoy.

April 2014: While probably only of passing interest to those who are not fans of Star Trek's original series, definitely recommended to all those who are.

Nimoy's bias is obvious and expected, but he manages to speak of most of those he disagreed with in a courteous manner that cemented my view of him as a mentch. He does skirt some of the more explosive stuff, like barely menti
Aaron Million
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Written twenty years ago, this seems to have been re-released due to Leonard Nimoy's death earlier this year at the age of 83. Twenty years prior to writing this, Nimoy had written a poorly-received book titled I Am Not Spock. He later realized that the title gave out a mistaken impression that he wanted to separate himself from the character of Spock. This, newer, book is Nimoy's corrective to address that misperception.

Nimoy was a highly intelligent man, and his writing is quite clear and cri
Erin
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Let's start by saying I am not a Trekkie. I have never seen an episode of Star Trek or any of the spin offs. I have never seen a Star Trek movie with the exception of the 2009 film which I consented to see because of LOTR alum Karl Urban (a fact which reveals a lot about my inner geek).

With that in mind I have to say that this book is AMAZING. This is what an actor's bio should be. Well-written, humorous, informative... basically this was everything that There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale sh
Alison
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, autobiography
I listened to this on audiobook which is read by Leonard Nimoy with his great, iconic voice. I am not a particular Star Trek fan and I did not know the history of the I Am Not Spock story which is a focus of the early part of the book. I enjoyed hearing Nimoy's story read by him. The behind the scenes insight is interesting. I did make a note of Nimoy's favorite Spock Star Trek episodes and plan to watch them sometime.
It is a relatively short tale and was about as much talk of Spock I needed.
Charles
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary
What can I say? Back in the mid seventies, I had models of the Enterprise, a Klingon battle cruiser and a Romulon bird of prey hanging from three different corners in my living room, and when we got home from work, we sat down with my son and watched Star Trek.
Pat Flewwelling
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you’re not reading the audible book, you’re doing yourself a disservice. This is only the second time I’ve laughed out loud on a crowded train, listening to an audiobook (the first being with Andy Weir’s The Martian).
Amy
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: random
Well, I can't say much about this because it's not a fairytale where there are main characters who go on a magical journey to wherever... But this book was AMAZING!!!!!!

OK, first off: I am a proud Trekkie. This will NEVER change. This book helped reinforce my belief that being a Trekkie is good for the soul, ha ha. Anyway, this book was put out to tell more stories about Leonard Nimoy/Spock, as well as to dispel the rumors that he hated playing Spock. That rumor was started by his first publishe
Clark Hallman
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
This memoir by Leonard Nimoy focuses on his involvement with the Star Trek television series and the succeeding Star Trek movies. Of course he is well known for his portrayal of Spock in that TV series and those movies. However, he also directed Star Trek III: The Search for Spock and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and served as executive producer for Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. Nimoy provides much very interesting information about how the TV series and movies were conceived, develop ...more
BJ
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mine, nonfiction, 2015
I have to say, I've been a Star Trek fan (in all its incarnations) for as long as I can remember. Up until now, I had not read any of the memoirs of the original crew, except for one of William Shatner's (which I also really enjoyed). I had had this book on my TBR shelf for quite awhile, must have picked it up at a used book sale somewhere. With Leonard Nimoy's recent death, I decided to read it for a nonfiction book challenge that I am participating in this year. I totally enjoyed it, didn't wa ...more
Linds
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a casual Star Trek fan, I was mildly interested in this book. I wasn't expecting to come away as such a fan of Leonard Nimoy.

He was really instrumental in the creation of the character, and stove to keep him true to character when a myriad of directors and writers wanted to change it in subtle and not so subtle ways.

He comes off as a real artist. He's able to make it in Hollywood while still keeping true to himself. He reminds me of Johnny Depp in that he takes risks and will not sell out for
Jenny
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, biography
for the Audible audio book read by Leonard Nimoy- the internal conversations between Nimoy and Spock are fantastic, especially when read by Leonard Nimoy,... And er, Spock.
Lauren
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved it! I wish I had read it while he was alive. This has to be one of the most interesting Biographies I have read in a long time. What I find interesting if the reasoning behind his title, I felt appalled at people who made ridiculous comments about this last title. Such outrage. It's his story.
What an interesting life Leonard Nimoy lived! Not just about the whole Spock experience, but to write about his person life. How his family were affected, how he tried to make it so that he'd try not
P.S. Winn
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even if you never watched star trek, this is an interesting book into an interesting man's life story.
Darrel Bishop
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was good but not the biographical depth I wanted. There was some humor and I definitely appreciate Leonard Nimory and Spock more after hearing their thoughts.
Shaunesay
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this memoir, read by Leonard Nimoy, interspersed with conversations between himself and his character Spock. This is a must for the Star Trek fan, and I'm sure I'll listen to it again, just hear this much beloved and missed voice. It was such a blow to lose Mr. Nimoy just a few months after my own father passed away from complications due to COPD, so it hit me hard and I knew this would be a tough listen. I waited until feeling strong enough, and was delighted t ...more
Jesse A
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding. Filled with Star Trek stories as well as stories from other projects of Mr. Nimoy's. Funny, insightful, and informative. Just great!
Colleen
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
With the crisis currently going on in the world, I suddenly decided to dig out my DVD set of the first season of "Star Trek" and revisit this entertaining book written by the late Leonard Nimoy in 1995. I purchased it not long after it was published, and it was interesting to re-read it. Of course, there is a sadness in that Mr. Nimoy is no longer with us, but his work, and especially Spock, lives on.

It should be noted that this book is about Nimoy's career, and his personal life is touched upo
Steven
Jun 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Surprisingly well-written for a man operating outside his chosen craft. This book is full of interesting stories about the inner workings of Hollywood, both the television and the movie business.

I particularly enjoyed the “what might have been,” as various actors were considered but not chosen (or not available) for various roles in the Star Trek franchise. Kirstie Alley—who had a small role in an early film—insisted on so high a salary the next time around that she was simply unaffordable. Per
Lauren
Leonard Nimoy is one of my heroes now. In this book, he conveys his passion for Spok and all things Star Trek and his journey not only through Star Trek but also Hollywood in general. He's so respectful, speaking fondly of the actors and directors he admires, seeing both sides of a situation, treating women with exactly the same respect same way as men. He's humorous and carefree yet sobering and serious when it matters the most. It was such a fascinating book and one of my favourite books of al ...more
Jim
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As a Star Trek fan since 1966, I had to give Nimoy's book *****. But, incredibly, I had not read this book, published in 1995, until I picked it up as a used book only a few days ago. It turned out to be a very fast and entertaining read. I have to say I felt sad reading the book because Leonard Nimoy passed away in 2015. I did read Shatner's book,"Leonard," which I thought was more detailed about Nimoy's life, though the focus of the book was on Shatner's relationship with Nimoy. This book hard ...more
Tampa Nerd Night ...: I Am Spock – June 2017 1 3 May 01, 2020 07:11PM
2017 Reading Chal...: I Am Spock 1 18 Feb 27, 2015 06:00PM
Leonard Nimoy 1 7 Feb 27, 2015 10:27AM

• Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man
  • Star Trek Memories
  • Up Till Now
  • Star Trek Movie Memories
  • To the Stars
  • The Lost Years (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #1)
  • Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
  • Drastic Measures
  • The Autobiography of Jean-Luc Picard
  • The Physics of Star Trek
  • The Autobiography of James T. Kirk
  • Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories
  • Exodus (Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul, #1)
  • Star Trek: Countdown (Star Trek Countdown, #1-4)
  • The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays: Salome; Lady Windermere's Fan
  • The Search for the Giant Squid: The Biology and Mythology of the World's Most Elusive Sea Creature
  • Spock's World
Jewish-American actor, film director, poet, musician and photographer.

He was best known for playing the character of Spock on Star Trek, an American television series that ran for three seasons from 1966 to 1969, in addition to several movie sequels.