Start by marking “Swimming Lessons (The Beach House)” as Want to Read:
Swimming Lessons (The Beach House)

Swimming Lessons (Beach House #2)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  5,620 Ratings  ·  283 Reviews
Toy Sooner has dealt with enough rough waves in her troubled past. It's only been through the enduring love of a close-knit group of women on this tiny island that she's finally started to find her footing. But as new challenges in her career arise for this young single mother, the choices and demons of her past will catch up to her. Soon Toy will learn that, like the stea ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Published June 22nd 2010 by MIRA (first published March 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Swimming Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swimming Lessons

Julie
Swimming Lessons by Mary Alice Monroe is a 2007 Mira publication.

As we begin this second book in the “Beach House” series, we find five years have gone by, that Cara and Brett have married and are trying to start a family, which has been a very slow and painful process.

Toy is living in the beach house with her young daughter ‘Little Lovie’, and has a great job working at the South Carolina Aquarium.

Emmi has now divorced, but is taking it very, very hard, acting very impulsively as though she
Beth
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did you ever read a book that you got so involved with the characters you didn't want the book to end? You felt like you could be there with them. This is the sequel to Beach House which at the time I read Beach House didn't realize there was a sequel. This book brings closure to the characters in Beach House. It's about family, family, friendship, good times, and sad times. And as a bonus you learn about nature and the low country. I think what really draws you to her books is the peacefullness ...more
Christine
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, it continued on with the stories of Toy, Little Lovie, Cara and Flo, the famous turtle savers, they all come full circle and show what true love and true friendship really is...
Diane
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books-read
Swimming Lessons, by Mary Alice Monroe seemed to be the perfect audio book to ease into summer with. I generally love most books set on the shores of lovely South Carolina, and when I read that this one included a story about the cycle of life of the Loggerhead turtles of the Isle of Palms, it had a special meaning to me.

Several years ago while on vacation, we were fortunate enough to be able to see these magnificent creatures lay their eggs along the shore. It was fascinating even though the ar
Susan
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to the beach house, continuing from one character's point of view. Immediately read this after the Beach House. Wonderful book, you really want to root for the main character's success, love interest and career as biologist. What a success story for a young female character who had an abusive boyfriend in book I and was estranged from her irresponsible parents. Loved this book and looking to read many more of Monroe's books. This is about the power of female friendships and the turns life ...more
C-shaw
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loaned to me by a friend who is on a mission to read all of Mary Alice Monroe's books. This is a sequel to _The Beach House_, starts with Toy Sooner and her child, now five years old, and of course with the rescue of a loggerhead turtle.
* * * * *
I really didn't want to read another book about these Turtle Ladies and their families, but once I got started, the story pulled me in and I became very involved with them. Mary Alice Monroe is a good storyteller, and I ended up enjoying this so much.
Deb
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a good romance, based at the beach in South Carolina. Total sucker for that combo and usually rate the book a three out of five stars. But this book was different because it had a lot of factual information about marine life in the area - particularly loggerhead turtles - and so that earned it a four star review for me! Great beach read!! On to the last in the trilogy....
Barbara
This was one of her best books....Probably because of the turtles. Miss Monroe has proven to do extensive research on all her books and although the outcome is somewhat predicable the knowledge learned about the underlining story is always worth the time spent. I had the opportunity to meet Miss Monroe and found her as enchanting as all of her books.
Alice
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this and The Beach House so much, I bought Turtle Summer for my seven-year-old granddaughter for Christmas. Her family vacations on Topsail Island, NC and alway go to the turtle rescue center while they are there.
Karen
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure I would like this sequel to The Beach House, but once I got into it I really enjoyed learning Toy's story. It was very enjoyable to read how she went from a pregnant teenager to a responsible adult who is beginning a very good life for herself and her daughter.
Jeannie Scheirman
This is the sequel of Beach House, so it was interesting to find out what has happened to the characters. Toy has certainly grown, and her "Turtle Life" was interesting. Loved the Isle of Palms setting! Hope there is another sequel so we can keep up with the Turtle Ladies and Toy's life.
Nicole2112
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Skimmed the first half but it finished strong!
Liz
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series! I feel like I know the characters very well after finishing this second book in the series. Looking forward to more summer fun with the sea turtles!
Jackie
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this sequel to The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe, it has been five years since the passing of Miss Lovie Rutledge. Toy Sooner and her daughter, Little Lovie are living in Primrose Cottage on the beach where Miss Lovie fiercely cared for and tended to her Loggerhead Turtles. Every year, the turtle ladies, watched for the migration of the mama turtles coming ashore to nest and lay their
golf-ball sized eggs. Since Miss Lovie's death, Toy has gone on to college, graduated, and secured a life
Elle
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a continuation of Mary Alice Monroe's story 'The Beach House'. I read 'Beach House Memories' and then 'Swimming Lessons' only because I wanted to read the prequel to 'The Beach House' before continuing on with the story. That said, if you haven't read the other two books, reading 'Swimming Lessons' could be read as a stand-alone book.

This book is the story of Toy Sooner. It is five years after she had her baby, Little Lovie. Toy has now finished college and works at the South Carolina Aq
Donna G
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the sequel to The Beach House. I read this for book club and it did not seem to matter that I had not read The Beach House. I was easily able to figure out who the characters were and enough of their histories to figure the story out. It was a sweet story written about my favorite place in the world...the Lowcountry of South Carolina. Makes you want to become one of the famed Turtle Ladies who help the Loggerhead turtles with their nests. Although a little predictable at times it was a ...more
Mary
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I am LOVING this story! However, this is the first audiobook that I have ever listened to, and I am not enjoying that experience very much! I am a fast reader, and the audiobook version is SO LONG! I feel like I could have read it several times already, and I am only on chapter 10. I think I will be reading the book when I finish listening, so I am enjoy it in full!
Georgiana
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another inspiring novel by Mary Alice! This is the sequel to "The Beach House". If you have never read a book by Mary Alice, start with "The Beach House" then read this one. I'm now starting the third book to the series called "Beach House Memories". These books bring great encouragement and hope. Thank you, Mary Alice!
Selena
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved this one. It was great reading about home! Even though I grew up in N. Charleston I could totally relate to all of the places and scenes. Really enjoyed learning about sea turtles. I think I have a new favorite author.
Debbie
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a good series. I really enjoy beach books and this series has all generations covered, some young some a bit older and on up into grandparent age. The turtle facts have been great. I am now on the search for the next volume and I hope this series will continue.
Heather
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a really great book. I did like The Beach House just a tiny bit better. This had a little more twists and turns though. I love Mary Alice Monroe's style. She makes you feel like you are there.
Jill
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a great read. As a continuation of The Beach House, it brought closure to beloved characters from the first book. I love how Mary Alice Munroe teaches you something about nature while she spins a tale of strong female characters who meet life's challenges with strength and courage.
Chelsy Abraham
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My grandmother is an avid Mary Alice Monroe reader and happen to buy 2 of these by accident. This was my first and it was a beautiful and tear jerking story that makes you want to drink wine and sit on the porch of a beach house with your best girlfriends.
Cheryl
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book set in the background of an Aquarium and the focused marine animal was turtles. The main body of the story was good as well.
Claire
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. Made me become more aware of the great aspects of nature that I tend to overlook/ignore! Cute book :-)
Judi
Book 2 in the Beach House Series does not disappoint. This book is about Toy Sooner, the pregnant teenager of Book 1. She is without Daryl and it's 5 years later. Due to Lovie's guidance and acceptance of Toy into her family and home, Toy has really made a good life for herself and her daughter. She got a college degree and lives in the Beach House. I wondered if I would love this book as much as the first, yes I do. Thanks in no small part to the loggerhead turtles and the Beach House.

Toy star
Ann
4.5 stars. This was great. It picks up 5 years after Beach House ended. Toy's storyline takes center stage in this book. It was fun to be back with all the great characters from Beach House, and there are new ones added. This book is definitely similar in style and story... budding romance, sea turtles, family drama, good friends supporting each other, etc. I liked this one just a tad better than Beach House though. It didn't seem quite as dramatic, and I think it was just nice to see more of th ...more
Pam L
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life Keeps moving on.

Another story,with every emotion.Really enjoy the Beach House series. Poor Cara and Brett.We see them ready to adopt. We see Emmi move on with Flo.We see Toy and Ethan move on,and we see Big Girl get healthy.Darryl looking for a free ride and Toy being naive,looking for the good in Darryl and pushing Ethan away. Thank goodness Ethan didn't give up.So life moves on,with relationships and loggerhead turtles.Anxious for the next book in the series,to find out more about everyon
CMDH
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in Mary Alice Monroe's Beach House series, we return to the hypnotic rhythm of low-country. Toy Sooner, now a college graduate working at the local aquarium, has turned her life around, is a wonderful mother to her daughter Little-Lovie, and carries on the traditions of 'The Turtle Ladies' she learned for her beloved mentor. But life, as nature must change, and Toy must reconcile her past, including Little-Lovie's father Darrel, before she can move on and find happiness in herself, or ...more
Mary
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so delighted to see that this is a continuation of the characters from the book "The Beach House" as I really enjoyed the development of the characters and the characters themselves. I hated to let them go.
Also, I've developed a great interest and concern for the loggerhead turtles of the North Atlantic. Amazing ceatures! Gained new knowledge concerning their long lives and plights for life....and about our dirty ocean...so sad!
I thought it was well written and a lot of good ol' counsel re
  • Pawleys Island (Lowcountry Tales, #5)
  • Between The Tides
  • Pieces of the Heart
  • Moon Shell Beach
  • Queen of Broken Hearts
  • Ten Beach Road (Ten Beach Road, #1)
  • Summer in the South
New York Times bestselling author Mary Alice Monroe found her true calling in environmental fiction when she moved to coastal South Carolina. Already a successful author, she was captivated by the beauty and fragility of her new home. Her experiences living in the midst of a habitat that was quickly changing gave her a strong and important focus for her books.

Mary Alice Monroe writes richly textur
More about Mary Alice Monroe...

Beach House (4 books)
  • The Beach House
  • Beach House Memories (The Beach House)
  • Beach House for Rent (The Beach House, #4)

“and highlighted with bold streaks” 0 likes