Start by marking “Prisoner of My Desire” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of My Desire

Prisoner of My Desire

CAPTIVE OF LOVE

Spirited Rowena Belleme must produce an heir--or incur the dangerous wrath of a ruthless stepbrother, who stands to forfeit his ill-gotten wealth. And the magnificent Warrick deChaville is the perfect choice to sire her child--though it means imprisoning the handsome knight...and forcing him to bend to her amorous whims.

SLAVE OF PASSION

Vowing to resist but b
Published December 1st 1991 by Avon (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of My Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner of My Desire

Danielle
With the premise of the heroine raping the hero—this is just one of those books I shouldn’t like, but sorry - not really sorry at all - I loved it.

Prisoner of My Desire is the definition of a bodice ripper, written three decades ago with a strong, sassy heroine and an almost irredeemable hero. But I just like them like that, I suppose. I can keep rereading and rereading Johanna Lindsey novels and never get bored.

Now, was Prisoner of My Desire really a five-star worthy piece of literature? The id
Lady Raven RAVE!
I love this book the beginning was a little different for me but I still loved it.I HOPE I DON'T RUB SOMEONE THE WRONG WAY, but I just want to say this before I give my thoughts on the book.

Most of these authors are starting to write or have written aggressive love scenes, I accept this because I know its all for entertainment, and I think if you know that the author always writes aggressive love scenes then don't read the books if you find them offensive and degrading. I am not talking about t
Mo
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 enjoyable stars.

Really enjoyed this one.

Asshole hero who does redeem himself. Liked Rowena. She could stand up for herself.

Sorry, Friday night! Too tired for a long review.

Karla
(3.5 stars) Lady Rowena is forced by her lusting stepbrother Gilbert to marry the debauched and murderous old geezer Lyons in order to get pregnant and therefore have a claim on the fart's properties and army. Unfortunately Lyons dies on the wedding night before anything can happen and so Gilbert orders a substitute whacked over the head and brought to Rowena's bed for stud purposes. Lyons body will be hidden until Rowena's gets knocked up and all will go as planned. But the disposable serf kidn ...more
Stacey is Sassy
description

I know I shouldn’t enjoy it as much as I do.

*** Kind of spoilery***

My tears had barely dried before I was supposed to love the hero for realising his monumental stuff up and believe in his declarations of love. Prisoner of my Desire is one of those historical romances that I hate to love. The hero was an utter, utter bast*rd. He is cranky, rude and despicable. He has his reasons, but his resentments and hostilities at times made me want to get my own bloody whip out and chase him down…not that I
Nisha
There is so much I'm willing to forgive in a HR taking place in the Middle Ages. I would actually prefer not to have woman's lib and obnoxiously feisty (or male-wannabe) heroines fettered during this time. But there is one interesting feature in this book - the heroine rapes the hero.

Scandalous, I know. It's really unbelievable and I was anxious about how it was all going to work. It does, in my favorite way - angry sex, guilt and occassional moments of soul-sucking love.

Rowena's step brother, G
Karen
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing

"I am glad 'twas you."

LOVED THIS ONE! Didn't want to put it down. This was my first book by this author. And I will definitely be looking for more from her.
Jane Stewart
Sep 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
Skip this book. The story was ok in some ways, but I was frustrated by the relationship between Warrick and Rowena.

They both acted like they hated each other, and they wanted to hate each other. But, the truth was they desired each other, and love was beginning. Their words and actions were insincere. They were playing mind games with each other of one-upmanship. I was not drawn to this.

I accept dishonesty and insincerity for a variety of reasons, for example: standard romance protocol, discover
Leona
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I don't have an accurate shelf for this one since I don't typically read bodice rippers. I made an exception based on all the positive reviews. Though I don't think it's a five star read, I am definitely glad I invested the time to read it. This started out very strong with the heroine married off to an old lecher and then forced to rape the hero when he dies unexpectedly. I suspect that scene alone is what drives most of the five star reviews. I was right there in the room feeling the hero's vi ...more
♥Sharon♥
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Another 2018 favorite!

I wasn’t sure if I’d love it as much as I did. I guess you could say like Rowena, I fell in love with Warrick page by page, little by little and a bit unexpectedly. This man or should I say fire breathing dragon (I loved it when Rowena referred to him as such) was not easy to love nor did he love easily. But sweet and strong Rowena would be his undoing.

Fabulous story filled with wonderful characters.

Johanna Lindsey is a new author for me and it thrills me to say I will be
Chrissa Vasileiou
Πόσο ωραίο συναίσθημα,όταν ξεκινάς να διαβάζεις ένα βιβλίο με ελάχιστες προσδοκίες και καταλήγεις να το αγαπήσεις και να σε ξαφνιάσει ΤΟΣΟ ευχάριστα! :)
Το "Αιχμάλωτη του πόθου μου" το ξεκίνησα με σκοπό να το 'ξεπετάξω' στα γρήγορα,θεωρώντας το άλλη μια ιστορία αγάπης.Βλέποντας δε πως γράφτηκε το 1991,περίμενα να διαβάσω μετρημένες,'σεμνές' σκηνές.Χαίρομαι τόσο που διαψεύστηκα!

Η συγγραφέας έχει καταφέρει να αποδώσει με απόλυτη πιστότητα την εποχή που περιγράφει και όλα όσα διαδραματίζονταν τότε,χ
Kylie
Sep 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
I'll start this review by saying that for the last six months I've been working on writing a book of my own. It's undergone numerous drafts. It's stolen countless nights of sleep. My obsession with it has turned me into a downright social pariah. But still I write, knowing and not caring that it will never get published. Less than 1% of people do. And of those who do only a select few will ever gain notoriety.

It's discouraging, to say the least, when I think on those statistics. Even more so wh
Bindi Boo
4 stars
Surprisingly, i truly enjoyed this book. Been a while since i've read Johanna Lindsey but i'm glad i gave this one a chance. Heroine was spunky enough for the hero who was a total ass! I loved that she made him grovel at the end, take that ass-hat!
Zairobe25
3,5★ Realmente me gustó mucho, se que a muchas puede resultarles ofensivo el libro, verán habla abiertamente de violación.
Rowena la protagonista es obligada por su ambicioso hermanastro casarse con un viejo para apoderarse de sus tierras y tener un ejército más grande para conquistar más tierras, pero el viejo muere la misma noche de bodas sin consumar el matrimonio, es por ello que el hermanastro busca secuestrar un hombre con el cabello, piel y ojos similares a los del viejo para que embarace
Debbie DiFiore
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just reread this for the 2nd time and I forgot how much I had loved it. I read it years ago and I couldn't quite remember it so I read it again and it was wonderful. I loved Johanna Lindsey in her early writing years and read every book. I didn't quite like all of them because there were a couple with heros and ow and I hated that but this one was good.

The H was very cruel in the beginning of the book but he had reason to be I guess. I did like that he felt terrible when he realized how wrong h
Blaze King
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is a great read because of the story, and how well Johanna Lindsey tackled a tacky plot. Warning - It has rape involved. Both, of the Hero and the Heroine. The heroine is forced to make physical relation with the hero; or see her mother die at the hands of her step brother. The hero when gets a chance to escape, he comes back and takes her prisoner believing her to be an immoral woman and seeks to exact revenge by raping her in return. As he says 'Like For Like'. But what ensues the re ...more
Felicia
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Chitra *CJ*
"Prisoner of my Desire" is the story of Rowena and Warrick.

Now, I have to clarify that this book will not be for everyone- but if you enjoy old school romances, bodice rippers and Johanna Lindsey-then you won't have any problem with it.

The book starts with our heroine, Rowena Belleme being witness to the brutal whipping of her mother by her lecher stepbrother- and to save her she is forcefully married to an old haggard asshat. However, before consummation, the old man dies and the stepbrother ta
Regan Walker
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Not Your Ordinary Medieval Romance—a Bodice Ripper that Turns the Tables!

Set in England in 1152, this is the story of Warrick de Chaville, Lord Fulkhurst, a fierce knight who learned at a young age to take revenge on any who harmed him. So he would take his revenge on the woman who captured him, had him chained to a bed and forced herself on him, stealing his seed. Little did he know that Rowena Belleme, Lady of Tures, was herself forced to use him, a man she thought a slave, to produce an heir
Piper
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
5 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Wench loving, Fire-breathing dragon STARS

Damn, this was a FABULOUS read. I loved it from beginning to end and I am anxious to read more from this author. Thank you, Karen, for recommending this to me.

'Twas still empty, that road, except for a traveling merchant and his baggage.

"I give you your life do you trouble me no more."

"I will decide what your life is worth. As it happens, a castle—nay, a hundred castles—cannot compare with what you mean to me."

"'Twas a waste of a good dung
Salena Ross
Feb 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
This wasn't a romance novel. This was an erotic novel posing as a romance, so it wasn't even that good. The plot was weak, with so many logical fallacies on the parts of the characters that I genuinely questioned their intelligence.

Too, the rape bothered me. And everything up til her planned seduction was rape. TBH, while it's not my thing, I would have been fine with it if the novel weren't trying to be a romance. Or even if Lindsey had managed to pull a believable love story out of those begi
Stacia Leigh
After reading the reviews on Goodreads, I decided to go ahead and pick this book off my Grandma's shelf.

It was a twisted tale indeed...she raped him, he raped her and then he threw her in a dungeon. I was so curious how this was going to turn into a romance...but it did indeed. Good writing, snappy dialogue, enjoyable characters...I was hooked.

This was my first book by this author...I'll probably pick up another one some time. Bodice ripper, indeed!

Now I know what my Grandma reads....hmmmm.
Lydia's Romance
5 Old School Stars
description

I'm in love with Warrick deChaville, the "fire-breathing dragon of the north."

What can I say that hasn't already been said about this classic historical romance? This review is purely written to help me release some FEELS. Give my heart a little wiggle room before it explodes. Actually, all my reviews are written for that purpose.

"I am glad 'twas you."
That simple line slayed me. It was meaningful when Rowena first said it to Warrick at the beginning of the book and even more s
Readdiction
Aug 04, 2008 rated it liked it
It was a case of deciding between rating the romance or the story itself but I truthfully liked the book. Although I found the hero's obsession and possessiveness of the heroine scarily thrilling, I did not feel that it was the beautiful true kind of love.

Warning: spoilers...

The novel featured rape by both the hero and heroine inflicted to each other and I could not understand how anyone could ever get over that kind of emotional turbulence and find love. The author played with a unique concept
KatieV
The idea of the h raping the H wasn't exactly a turn on for me, but I like the author and decided to give it a whirl. So glad I did. The h really had no choice and she was a virgin. She did not enjoy it and did it only to save her mother. BUT the H was furious and rightly so. He had been humiliated and made to feel weak and he was a very vengeful person. He set out to pay her back and then some. (there were no beatings, I can't deal with that). You'd never believe a HEA could come out of this, b ...more
~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! What a great historial romance/bodice ripper! At first I kinda hated Warrick but then I fell in love with him. His smiles were so special, and when he finally said "I love you" I swooned. Rowena was a strong, sweet, loyal h. I really liked her! This book is a prime example that the line between hate and love is very fine. I just simply loved this book!

Thank you Danielle so much for the rec <3
Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn)

Loved that it's a Reversed-Bodice-Ripper

Hawt stud tied chained down for a virginal lady's taking. The end result of their coupling was like a mad bucking bronco ride! Hell yeah!

I want me more of these 'medieval femdom'. *jokes*
Raine
I love the older Johanna Lindsey books. This especially was one of my favorites. I like the angsty vibe she has in this one.
Saly
This book was so un-PC! Slapping women, slapping kids (even if it was an evil kid).
Katherine 黄爱芬
Kapan lagi bisa membaca sampai tertawa habis-habisan, perawan bisa memperkosa pria ksatria? Apalagi ksatria tersebut punya sifat pendendam habis-habisan. Inilah keunggulan paling dahsyat novel ini. Ide cerita yang super konyol, tragis tapi benar-benar seru melihat pertengkaran, percekcokan dan romansa antara Rowena dan Warrick.

Rowena dipaksa oleh Gilbert (kakak tirinya) untuk menikah dengan lord tua bangka bau tanah yg sebentar lagi akan mampus dan memiliki anak darinya. Rowena menolak namun Gil
  • The Dragon Lord
  • Wicked Loving Lies (Brandon-Morgan #6)
  • The Conqueror (deWarenne Dynasty, #1)
  • My Lord Conqueror
  • Magic Embrace
  • Edin's Embrace
  • Desert Hostage
  • The Wolf and the Dove
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Season of the Sun (Viking, #1)
  • Stormfire
  • The Dragon and the Jewel (Medieval Plantagenet #2)
  • Bold Angel
  • Gypsy Lady (Louisiana #1)
  • Royal Seduction (Royal, #1)
  • Bride of the Lion
  • Island Flame (Pirates, #1)
  • Keeper of the Dream
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
“Twas hard to dislike a man she so enjoyed in bed. Twas harder still to dislike one who kept showing her a more gentle side to his nature” 1 likes