Start by marking “Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia, #1)

Amelia Bedelia

(Amelia Bedelia #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  84,209 ratings  ·  1,109 reviews
From dressing the chicken to dusting the furniture, Amelia Bedelia does exactly what Mr. and Mrs. Rogers tell her. ...But somehow things never turn out quite right.
Published December 26th 2012 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Bedelia, please sign up.
Bhavya Yes, this is my favourite book
…more
Yes, this is my favourite book
(less)

·  84,209 ratings  ·  1,109 reviews

Start your review of Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia, #1)
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
Recently read this to my daughter, and I almost forgot how much I enjoyed these books as a child.

Amelia Bedelia -- such a literal character -- always taking every word at face value, never able to read between the lines...and I still find her well-intentioned antics heartwarming and hilarious!

My daughter seems to agree. Great childhood read!

Erica
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once upon a school day, I think when I was in second grade (so this would have been pre-1980, I believe), we went on our bi-weekly library outing. The librarian had us sit in front of her in the storytime area and whipped this book out. She read it to us.
That may have been when I realized my love for wordplay.
I don't think I'd ever laughed so hard in storytime in my life.
That librarian read us a lot of good books (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Charlotte's Web(that was in third grade and it
Sophia Triad
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Amelia Bedelia is such an adorable character. She tries so hard to complete her chores. But because she takes everything so literally, she always messes up everything.

This is her first day at work as a maid for the Rogers family. She did nothing right of what was required from her. In the end she was hired as she made the best dessert.

Very very funny book.
Cyndi
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books were included in the nightly read-a-thon my children put me through each night. We loved the giggle fest Amelia Bedelia gave us. She was supposed to dust the furniture so Amelia Bedelia applied dusting powder! 🤣 c’mon that’s funny! (Or maybe I just have childish humor)🤷🏼‍♀️
Candace
This is the fiftieth anniversary edition of Amelia Bedelia. She is a maid who takes the meaning of words literally. A funny book, it is illustrated in black and green illustrations. This edition provides a glimpse at the advertising and professional reviews, and short biographies of the author Peggy Parish and the illustrator Frederick (Fritz) Siegel. This is my first reading of a Amelia Bedelia book. I have read one book written by Ms. Parish's nephew, Herman Parish, entitled Amelia Bedelia's F ...more
Kathryn
Four stars today, adding a fifth star because of how much I loved this as a child.

And it's still hard not to like Amelia Bedelia. She is such an adorable, unintentionally funny individual, so earnest. It's hard to really be mad at her for doing what she thought was right, though she makes a mess of things (I'm sure many kids can relate to that!). I always loved her ruffled lacy apron and blue hat with the pink flowers on it. The illustrations fascinated me with all the old-fashioned furniture an
Ronyell
Amelia

I have a confession to make: even though I had read the “Amelia Bedelia” books when I was little, I had never read the very first book in the “Amelia Bedelia” series, which has surprised me since I thought that that would be the first thing that I would have read (but, I was a kid back then and I just read whatever was put in front of me). So, I finally got the chance to read the very first book “Amelia Bedelia” by Peggy Parish along with artwork by Fritz Siebel and I was pleasantly
Beth
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childish
Amelia Bedelia!!
This book seriously stressed me out as a child. It was funny, but I was concerned about how much she always messed up!
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite childhood books. This also explains a lot about me and my opinon on the English language.
Crystal Marcos
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a combined review of mom and daughter. I think as I child I loved this one as much as my daughter. As an adult, a little bit less because of the repetitiveness in the read aloud. I found myself wanting to just say Amelia instead of Amelia Bedelia. However, I still would happily continue reading this to my little one.

Amelia Bedelia is hilarious fun. She doesn't quite get what is being asked of her on her first day of work. She does everything on a list made by her new employers, but she d
Andrea Cox
So sweet! I love a good throwback, and this little book definitely spanned a couple of decades to replant me in my childhood, if only for a few minutes. It's fun revisiting an old friend like Amelia Bedelia!
J. Boo
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone, yo.
Shelves: read-to-kids
Overly literal maid Amelia Bedelia begins a new job and gets everything wrong.

One of the joys of parenthood is that it serves as a motivation to pick up exceptionally good children's classics that one has heard of, but missed during one's own childhood. And a second joy is sharing them with an eager and appreciative audience.

DS#1 (age 5) and DD (age 3) both demanded an immediate reread the first day, and then cadged an afternoon and evening reading on the second. It's been in heavy rotation sin
Rossy
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, funny
This is the first book of the Amelia Bedelia series and I can't believe it's over 50 years since it was written!
The illustrations are cute and she is so funny!
It's her first day at work as a maid for the Rogers family. They gave her a list of chores to complete when they go out, but she takes everything so literally that she messes all up! They end up "forgiving" her because she made the most amazing lemon pie.
I giggled when she "dressed the chicken"... in a cute little jumper!
Gela
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly but cute.. My little one liked it.
Sandra BASIC
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was laughing out loud! Hilarious!
*JEN the booknerd*
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Had a nice little re-visit with an old friend.
L. McCoy
Normally I don’t even bother giving a warning if my reviews are slightly R rated but not quite hard R level discussion but since this is a kid’s book I will warn that this review is slightly R rated, I wouldn’t let little kids read my take on this book.

So while browsing the internet, I found surprisingly hot Amelia Bedelia fan-art (don’t kink shame me)...
description
(Yeah, this is how I’m spending my time on Earth... I don’t think I even have any regrets about it)
While looking at this I realized “I never ac
Cori
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This came across my feed, and I literally gasped out loud. I loved the Amelia Bedelia books when I was little. We had an aunt that lives in Florida, and would send us a "birthday box" every year. She would read books out loud and record them on tape. I remember this series the best- loved them! We may have wore out the tapes. Awesome memories.
Steve Holden
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amelia Bedelia has cracked me up for most of my life! I remember this one being read to me long ago, and I just laughed hysterically along with my teacher as the mishaps were explained. It's an incredibly effective and creative idea by Peggy Parish to help teach the difficulty and silliness of our language. There's certainly no better character to stumble through the misinterpreted nuances of it than Amelia Bedelia!
R.
Dec 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1974-2002
Later in life, when conversation turned to books one read as a child...and after exhausting my fond memories of Frog and Toad...I recalled this character.

"Who?"
"Amelia Bedelia..."
"You're pronouncing it wrong. It's Uh-mee-lee-ah Buh-dee-lee-ah. Hold on."
"Where are you going?"
"Making sure I didn't miss taking my pill."

So, note: "Amelia Bedelia" doesn't rhyme with "Oh-Hell-yeah Regalia".
Ellen Senechal
Amelia Bedelia holds soooo many special memories for me. <3 <3 <3 I can't believe it took me this long to find & review the book on GR! ...more
Kelly
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amelia Bedelia, written by Peggy Parish and illustrated by Fritz Siebel, is an easy-to-ready story with a mixture of dialogue, action, and different text (written cursive and typed text). The meain character is Amelia Bedelia and she is a silly maid who takes everything literally. She is hired by Mrs. Rodgers to clean her home and prepare dinner while Mr. and Mrs. Rodgers are out. Amelia Bedelia performs every item on Mrs. Rodger's list exactly as it says-even going to extra to bake a Lemon Mer ...more
Dolly
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Classic story about a young housekeeper who misunderstands her directions and follows her to-do list literally. A fun read for older children, although I had to explain some of the items, since they aren't commonly used (at least in our house!)

This story was selected as one of the books for the November 2012 - Classic Picture Book Characters reads at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood
I was bored today while they were taking out the trees at grandma's, and I have this from when I was little. My 1st grade teacher gave it to me. So I decided to read.

I was looking through some of my childhood books to read to a couple classes at school seeing as it's reading month and I'm going to be a guest reader. Still love it. Although it's not the book I'm going to be reading. But so fun to read, plus a teacher gave it to me when I was done with first grade and wrote a nice note inside.
John Yelverton
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure if the point of this book is to teach children to be more specific or that pie cures everything, but regardless, this book was a shear delight to read.
Abigail
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning Readers
Amelia Bedelia, that all-too-willing housemaid whose literal nature embroils her in countless scrapes whilst employed in the Rogers household, made her debut in 1963, in this first of numerous hilarious adventures. Eager to please and ready to work, she arrives on the job one morning, only to discover that Mrs. Rogers must run out, and has prepared a list of tasks for her complete. Unfortunately (or not, for the amused reader), while "dusting the furniture" or "putting the lights out" might seem ...more
Youjin Koo
The amount of frustration I had reading these books still lingers with me today
Monica Silva
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omar-jr
My son thought Amelia was crazy.
Margaret Chind
I am over the top delighted about this special book. In a great picture book size, this jacketed hardcover anniversary edition is fabulous. Featuring the jacket, artwork and story from the original 1963 edition which brings a treasure to life for today's young generation of children. These illustrations are made with variations of green and black (including grey) and it is very neat to be able to compare the vintage classic the the full color we are able to see in the little I Can Read! version ...more
Catherine Kirk
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Easy-to-Read

This book is the funny story of a maid on her first day of work. Her boss, Mrs. Robinson, can’t be there on her first day of work, so she leaves Amelia Bedelia a list of tasks to accomplish during the day. She does everything exactly as the list says. When the list says “dust the furniture” she puts Mrs. Robinson’s dusting powder all over the furniture. From literally drawing the curtains to dressing the chicken by putting clothes on it, she follows the list exactly. However when Mr.
1001 Children's B...: December 2015: Amelia Bedelia 7 19 Dec 18, 2015 10:51AM
Amelia Bedelia 6 25 Jul 25, 2015 08:15PM
MCC Children's Li...: Amelia Bedelia- Challice 1 1 Apr 17, 2012 05:46PM
Book Response 1 22 Jan 23, 2012 08:10PM

• Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1)
  • Little Bear (Little Bear, #1)
  • Danny and the Dinosaur
  • Just for You (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Madeline
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
  • Curious George
  • Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3)
  • Miss Nelson Is Missing! (Miss Nelson, #1)
  • Three Beloved Classics by E. B. White: Charlotte's Web/the Trumpet of the Swan/Stuart Little
  • Horton Hears a Who!
  • Corduroy
  • The Cat in the Hat and Other Dr. Seuss Favorites
  • The Poky Little Puppy
  • The Rainbow Fish
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Thank You, Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia, #2)
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower (Amelia Bedelia, #3)
  • Come Back, Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia, #4)
  • Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia