Start by marking “Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia #1)” as Want to Read:
Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia #1)

Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  77,565 Ratings  ·  937 Reviews
From dressing the chicken to dusting the furniture, Amelia Bedelia does exactly what Mr. and Mrs. Rogers tell her. ...But somehow things never turn out quite right.
Published December 26th 2012 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Bedelia, please sign up.
sara sanchez Because I want to know about the book
Kyrillos good job you are the best person in the world

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
Recently read this to my daughter, and I almost forgot how much I enjoyed these books as a child.

Amelia Bedelia -- such a literal character -- always taking every word at face value, never able to read between the lines...and I still find her well-intentioned antics heartwarming and hilarious!

My daughter seems to agree. Great childhood read!

Erica
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once upon a school day, I think when I was in second grade (so this would have been pre-1980, I believe), we went on our bi-weekly library outing. The librarian had us sit in front of her in the storytime area and whipped this book out. She read it to us.
That may have been when I realized my love for wordplay.
I don't think I'd ever laughed so hard in storytime in my life.
That librarian read us a lot of good books (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Charlotte's Web(that was in third grade and it
Cyndi
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books were included in the nightly read-a-thon my children put me through each night. We loved the giggle fest Amelia Bedelia gave us. She was supposed to dust the furniture so Amelia Bedelia applied dusting powder! 🤣 c’mon that’s funny! (Or maybe I just have childish humor)🤷🏼♀ ...more
Kathryn
Four stars today, adding a fifth star because of how much I loved this as a child.

And it's still hard not to like Amelia Bedelia. She is such an adorable, unintentionally funny individual, so earnest. It's hard to really be mad at her for doing what she thought was right, though she makes a mess of things (I'm sure many kids can relate to that!). I always loved her ruffled lacy apron and blue hat with the pink flowers on it. The illustrations fascinated me with all the old-fashioned furniture an
Ronyell
Amelia

I have a confession to make: even though I had read the “Amelia Bedelia” books when I was little, I had never read the very first book in the “Amelia Bedelia” series, which has surprised me since I thought that that would be the first thing that I would have read (but, I was a kid back then and I just read whatever was put in front of me). So, I finally got the chance to read the very first book “Amelia Bedelia” by Peggy Parish along with artwork by Fritz Siebel and I was pleasantly s
Crystal Marcos
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a combined review of mom and daughter. I think as I child I loved this one as much as my daughter. As an adult, a little bit less because of the repetitiveness in the read aloud. I found myself wanting to just say Amelia instead of Amelia Bedelia. However, I still would happily continue reading this to my little one.

Amelia Bedelia is hilarious fun. She doesn't quite get what is being asked of her on her first day of work. She does everything on a list made by her new employers, but she d
Beth
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childish
Amelia Bedelia!!
This book seriously stressed me out as a child. It was funny, but I was concerned about how much she always messed up!
Rossy
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, funny
This is the first book of the Amelia Bedelia series and I can't believe it's over 50 years since it was written!
The illustrations are cute and she is so funny!
It's her first day at work as a maid for the Rogers family. They gave her a list of chores to complete when they go out, but she takes everything so literally that she messes all up! They end up "forgiving" her because she made the most amazing lemon pie.
I giggled when she "dressed the chicken"... in a cute little jumper!
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite childhood books. This also explains a lot about me and my opinon on the English language.
Gela
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly but cute.. My little one liked it.
Steve Holden
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amelia Bedelia has cracked me up for most of my life! I remember this one being read to me long ago, and I just laughed hysterically along with my teacher as the mishaps were explained. It's an incredibly effective and creative idea by Peggy Parish to help teach the difficulty and silliness of our language. There's certainly no better character to stumble through the misinterpreted nuances of it than Amelia Bedelia!
R.
Dec 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1974-2002
Later in life, when conversation turned to books one read as a child...and after exhausting my fond memories of Frog and Toad...I recalled this character.

"Who?"
"Amelia Bedelia..."
"You're pronouncing it wrong. It's Uh-mee-lee-ah Buh-dee-lee-ah. Hold on."
"Where are you going?"
"Making sure I didn't miss taking my pill."

So, note: "Amelia Bedelia" doesn't rhyme with "Oh-Hell-yeah Regalia".
Kelly
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-to-read
Amelia Bedelia, written by Peggy Parish and illustrated by Fritz Siebel, is an easy-to-ready story with a mixture of dialogue, action, and different text (written cursive and typed text). The meain character is Amelia Bedelia and she is a silly maid who takes everything literally. She is hired by Mrs. Rodgers to clean her home and prepare dinner while Mr. and Mrs. Rodgers are out. Amelia Bedelia performs every item on Mrs. Rodger's list exactly as it says-even going to extra to bake a Lemon Mer ...more
J. Boo
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone, yo.
Shelves: read-to-kids
Overly literal maid Amelia Bedelia begins a new job and gets everything wrong.

One of the joys of parenthood is that it serves as a motivation to pick up exceptionally good children's classics that one has heard of, but missed during one's own childhood. And a second joy is sharing them with an eager and appreciative audience.

DS#1 (age 5) and DD (age 3) both demanded an immediate reread the first day, and then cadged an afternoon and evening reading on the second. It's been in heavy rotation sin
Dolly
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Classic story about a young housekeeper who misunderstands her directions and follows her to-do list literally. A fun read for older children, although I had to explain some of the items, since they aren't commonly used (at least in our house!)

This story was selected as one of the books for the November 2012 - Classic Picture Book Characters reads at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Youjin Koo
The amount of frustration I had reading these books still lingers with me today
Catherine Kirk
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Easy-to-Read

This book is the funny story of a maid on her first day of work. Her boss, Mrs. Robinson, can’t be there on her first day of work, so she leaves Amelia Bedelia a list of tasks to accomplish during the day. She does everything exactly as the list says. When the list says “dust the furniture” she puts Mrs. Robinson’s dusting powder all over the furniture. From literally drawing the curtains to dressing the chicken by putting clothes on it, she follows the list exactly. However when Mr.
Ann
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Happy 50th Birthday, Amelia Bedelia! You are still as dizzy and literal as ever. "Please dust the furniture and dress the chicken." The anniversary version of the very first title, written by Peggy Parish and illustrated by Fritz Siebel, that I picked up at my library is not the one pictured. It's a large format hardcover with the original cover art. 'The Story Behind the Story' at the back of the new edition gives lots of fun details about Parrish and her humorous creation, as well as a glimpse ...more
Tricia Douglas
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book for children learning the English language. As a third grade teacher for 30 years this was one series that we read to illustrate the use of puns and idioms. These books are funny if you let yourself drift back to your younger years.
Cataluna6
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely book, I enjoyed reading Amelia's interpretations from the list of jobs left by Mrs. Rogers. She takes everything literally, as kids often do, with very funny results. I think this would be a great book in a classroom setting.
Taija
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
This young lady drives me up a wall. And if Amelia Bedelia read that, she would literally try to drive up the wall.
Tia O
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Title: Amelia Bedelia
Author: Peggy Parish
Illustrator: Fritz Siebel
Genre: Humor, Children’s literature
Theme(s): Patience, effort
Opening line/sentence:"'Oh, Amelia Bedelia, your first day of work, and I can't be here. But I made a list for you. You do just what the list says,' said Mrs. Rogers."
Brief Book Summary: Amelia Bedelia focuses on a new maid who is given a list of tasks to do for her new employers while they are away. Although they left her simple things to do, the books follows her doin
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amelia is adorable!

I'm making my way through Amazon's 100 Best Children's Books to Read in a Lifetime. 9 down.
Savannah Rollins
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-308-books
Amelia Bedelia is a fun and silly character that beginner readers enjoy reading about.
Bridget Marshall
Read this in a Spanish edition. I love finding fun and easy reads to exercise my Spanish. And Amelia Bedelia is just the best! :)
Kim
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was an amazing book and fasanating book
Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood
I was bored today while they were taking out the trees at grandma's, and I have this from when I was little. My 1st grade teacher gave it to me. So I decided to read.
Clara
I can't believe this was required reading, but I'm not complaining.
Charlotte
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked it a lot because it was funny. Excited to read another one of the authors books about Amelia!
Margaret Chind
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Edelweiss
I am over the top delighted about this special book. In a great picture book size, this jacketed hardcover anniversary edition is fabulous. Featuring the jacket, artwork and story from the original 1963 edition which brings a treasure to life for today's young generation of children. These illustrations are made with variations of green and black (including grey) and it is very neat to be able to compare the vintage classic the the full color we are able to see in the little I Can Read! version ...more
1001 Children's B...: December 2015: Amelia Bedelia 7 16 Dec 18, 2015 10:51AM
  • Nate the Great
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food
  • Owl at Home
  • Morris Goes to School
  • Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3)
  • I Was So Mad
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Greg's Microscope
  • Little Bear
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Danny and the Dinosaur
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am
More about Peggy Parish

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things