Start by marking “The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)

The Wyverns’ Treasure

(Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist #3)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  617 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
After tangling with the deadly basilisk, Nathaniel Fludd is glad to return to England with his Aunt Phil. But someone has ransacked their home, and their best suspect is the sinister man who's been trying to steal the Book of Beasts.

Before Nate and Aunt Phil can find the culprit, they are called to Welsh countryside. The wyverns (giant dragons) are in an uproar. Could the
Published October 4th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Wyverns’ Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wyverns’ Treasure

Ann
THIRD BOOK IN THE SERIES

In this third installment in Nathaniel Fludd's beastologist adventures he sets off with his Aunt Phil for the Wyverns' lair. The Wyverns' have been threatening to break off their truce with the people and it's up to the Fludds to figure out why and to fix whatever is wrong.

Thankfully this book also gets back in touch with Nathaniel's personal life, too, bringing his parents' disappearance back into question as well as finally figuring out why so many problems with the bea
Gmr
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to this growing series! It may be listed for middle grade readers, but anyone with a bookish love for adventure, mythical creatures, and family can certainly enjoy it. This chapter finds Nathaniel and Aunt Phil on their way to Wales to uncover just what has the wyvern's in a tizzy. You won't believe your eyes at what they uncover, and just WHO is behind it! I love how close the stories fall in the time line (books 1 - 3 cover a mere two weeks)....unspoken promise of many a ...more
Milliebot
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Nate is still reluctant to play the role of Beastologist in training, but even as he doubts himself, his different point of view helps his aunt on their every adventure. All the while he still holds out hope that his parents are alive and they confront a distant family member who may have clues regarding their disappearance. Greasel is also becoming a more reliable friend to Nate and makes a good companion when his aunt is busy with her work.

It’s tough to say too much without describing the enti
GaiasWonderland
Aunt Phil looked at him over the top of the note. "Do you have any idea what damage a rampaging Wyvern can cause?" "How could I?" Nate replied, exasperated. "I don't even know what a Wyvern is."

I do like this series as it has wonderful elements in it: fantasy, adventure, mythical creatures, travelling and interesting characters.

I like Greasle the best tough as she brings in the humour and I find the descriptions of the mythical creatures interesting enough as well.

Plus in this story I really en
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Nathaniel Fludd and his Aunt Phil have cared for a Phoenix and helped recapture an escaped Basilisk. All in a days work for a Beastologist, except that there's this niggling doubt that perhaps they've been set up. How did that Basilisk escape? Also what of the sightings of a red haired man at both sites? Rushing back to England to solve these mysteries and perhaps answer a few relating to Nathaniel's parents disappearance, they find even more trouble. Aunt Phil's house has been ransacked, but lu ...more
Emma (Miss Print)
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon-vine
Nathaniel Fludd has protected a phoenix and contained a basilisk as well as adopting a gremlin as his unlikely (and possibly unsuitable) companion. Nate is ten yeas old and he is a Beastologist-in-training; one of the last of the Fludd family line, charged with the responsibility of caring for and protecting some of the world's more unusual beasts.

While Nate has grown to care deeply about Aunt Phil on their whirlwind travels across Africa, he misses his parents who were declared lost at sea. He
Nicky
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist : The Wyvern's Treasure by R. L. LaFevers

Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist : The Wyvern's Treasure is the third book in the series of Nathaniel's adventures of him learning to be a Beastologist. In this book we see Nate and his Aunt Phil returning home after their adventures with a Basalisk to find their house has been ransacked.

After a disappointing trip to London to see if they can find any more information about who would do such a thing, Nate and Aunt Phil hear abou
Julie
The third book in the Nathaniel Fludd Beastologist series picks up immediately where its predecessor left off. Nathaniel, studying to join his family's profession as a Beastologist, or caretaker of mythical creatures, and his Aunt Phil are hot on the trail of the mysterious man encountered in Book 2, The Basilisk's Lair, whom they suspect released a basilisk in an attempt to double cross them. But on their journey to find the mysterious man, they encounter an even more threatening situation: a b ...more
An Odd1
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Round heads, straight triangle noses, knickers tucked in dark boots for skinny man-tall head-scarf Aunt Phil and prim long-jacket, long-necktie to her shoulder nephew Nate(10? 12?) - I'd rather see ginger hair on them and black sheep of family Obediah, bald on top, small mustache and beard "A bit shorter than Philomena .. shaped a bit like a barrel" p 10. Grim when villain rings feeding bell to call wyverns/ dragons p 114 after he ties up Phil and Nate p 113.

Savior is hand-high hairy gremlin Gr
Karissa
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist series by LaFevers. It was in keeping with the rest of the books in the series and was a fun and quick read. The book takes a little over an hour to read and is aimed at younger age to middle grade children. I got this book as an advanced reading copy from netgalley.

In this book Nathaniel and his Aunt return home to find their house ransacked...they suspect the man who did it may be the same one who tried to steal the Book of Beasts. Th
Leto
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is about Nate and Philomena hearing about the wyverns covenant being broken by a man named Obediah Fludd, one of their cousins! They had to go to where the wyverns lived to stop the madness, because the covenant was a rule to follow. After the covenant is broken there are three days where the wyverns rage and burn towns and steal farm animals to eat.

Nate and Philomena, of course tried to find a way into their caves which were practically like an ant hill with tunnels that lead to diff
Andrea Love
Sep 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
Received for review from netgalley.

The third installment of the Nathaniel Fludd adventures finds Nathaniel and his aunt returning home to find their home ransacked, and a looming disaster surrounding a broken treaty with the proud Wyverns. The suspected trouble maker is a long-lost relative who has apparently been causing problems throughout the Beastologists' world as he searches for the Fludd family legacy. Nathaniel and his aunt must race the clock to stop the chaos that has been triggered.

Th
Charlyn
Nathaniel's goal to find his missing parents is once again set aside as he and Aunt Phil travel to Wales to deal with a wyverns' uprising. Because he is last in the line of beastologists, Nathaniel must learn from his aunt. Now it appears that an uncle from the other side of the family is the one who has searched Aunt Phil's and Nathaniel's family home and who has now entered the wyvern's area, violating a treaty between wyverns and humans.

This is the third book in the series. I like the series
Gloriamarie
This is clearly a children's story, a chapter book for whatever age group that is. I love magical creatures, the paranormal, science fiction, fantasy and I don;t really care what age group it is aimed at as long as it is entertaining and well-written and that is true for all of the books in this series that are in my local library.

If you love Harry Potter, you will probably love these and might enjoy reading them to kids.

Trigger warning: Nathaniel finds out her is an orphan in the first chapter
Nancy Butts
Book 3, and the best one yet in this early middle grade series about young Nathaniel Fludd, who loses his parents and discovers that his family legacy is being a beastologist to fabulous and supposedly mythical creatures around the globe. There is more mystery in this book than in the first two, and I think that is why I liked it even more. Are Nathaniel's parents really dead? I hope we find out in Book 4.

I wish these books had been around when my son was in first grade. This would have made a
Lucas
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Lisa Brown
Another in the series of adventures of Nathaniel Fludd, a boy who is learning the ropes of his family legacy of beastology. In this story, he and his Aunt Phil travel to where the Wyverns (dragons) live to stop them from breaking their pact of peace. It seems that the myserious man who keeps causing problems may just be doing the same thing there.

A fun story, but not as good as book one. Still great for 2nd or 3rd graders.
Shelli
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
The adventure continues for Nathaniel Fludd budding Beastologist. This time he, his aunt, and his pet/best friend are off to mend relations with a colony of dragons, called wyverns. If this broken treaty between wyvern and man is not amended the dragons will rain their fire and fury down on the neighboring town. While this is happening Nate tries to find answers to his parents death. Or is it merely a disappearance?
EOL Juv Staff
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
The third book in the "Nathaniel Fudd, Beastologist Series" really starts to develop the overarcing storyline that have been hinted at in the first two books. Without giving away any spoilers, Nathaniel, beastologist-in-training, and his Aunt return home to find someone has stolen some crucial books and they have to get them back before alliances are broken. The advenure does not lack in the third book and continues to be a great book for readers looking for a easy to read chapter book.
Colten Hibbs
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
More sophisticated than the previous two installments. Ms. LaFevers deftly weaves in more mystery, and a very pleasant surprise resolution for the story's conflict. Nathaniel's adventures just keep getting better and better.
One thing I must say, Ms. Murphy's artwork captures the spirit of the stories beautifully. These books are must-reads for parents with middle-graders at home!
Cannot wait to get my hands on book 4!
Karen
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
The third in the series recommended by my son. I like this one a little more than the first two, because there is more feeling to it (I liked the storyline with Old Nudd, the heartbroken wyvern, and Nate's hopes with regard to his parents). I also appreciate that Aunt Phil seems more tuned in than in the first couple books.
Miss Clark
Susan
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
A phoenix, basilisks, now wyverns. Nathaniel Fludd has had a full couple of weeks since meeting his cousin, whom he calls Aunt Phil. Obediah Fludd is up to no good, of course, and wants the wyverns' treasure.

These books are a joy to read aloud. Just finding a great voice for Greasle the gremlin makes them come alive for kids.
Paula Lyle
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, school
I like this series. I love that Nathaniel is always nervous when heading into these strange situations, but he doesn't let it become overwhelming and is able to do what is necessary. Great role model for young children who are often forced into frightening situations. Fun!
Bill Tillman
The Wyverns' Treasure

A very enjoyable children's story. Great adventure, lots of exciting images to go along with the content. I would be shocked at any child that didn't ask for Wyverns' Treasure to be read over and over again.
C.K. Volnek
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Wyvernes' Treasure was a fun and entertaining read. One can instantly empathize with Nathan and root for him to find out the truth about his parents. I secretly want to be sure as he is that they're alive. This is a series I plan to follow and root for Nathan all along.
Dan
You know the writer's doing a good job when you sit and read aloud to your child at bed time and even you want to know what the next chapter holds.
Also, I like the conservationist angle: we have a duty to the preservation of mythical creatures, just as well as real ones.
Miss Ryoko
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really love these books! They are fun and well written! These are the types of books that should be available to our children - well written yet easy to read with a lot of heart and imagination! Ms. LaFevers, this series is wonderful! Thank you!
Georgene
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought this was the best in the series, but I haven't read the Basilisk's Lair yet. I am reading this series with 2 5th grade boys and I am loving how much they are enjoying the stories. Both are reluctant readers.
Dolores
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The third book in the Nathaniel Fludd series. This is sort of a Theodosia for the younger set. It's a good fantasy and a good adventure series with likable characters and fast-moving stories. Great for boys and reluctant readers.
  • Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)
  • Fear Itself (Benjamin Pratt & the Keepers of the School, #2)
  • Another Whole Nother Story
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • The Tilting House
  • The Unusual Mind of Vincent Shadow
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • Lair of the Bat Monster (Dragonbreath, #4)
  • The Evil Elves (Moongobble and Me #3)
  • We Are Not Eaten by Yaks (An Accidental Adventure, #1)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Ruby Lu, Star of the Show
  • Silas and the Winterbottoms: The Body Thief
  • The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance (Candle Man, #1)
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Islands in the Sky (Voyage of the Basset 1)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
R.L. LaFevers (Robin Lorraine when she’s in really big trouble) grew up surrounded by shelves of old dusty books and a passel of brothers. She has also spent a large portion of her life being told she was making up things that weren’t there, which only proves she was destined to write fiction. She is the author of over fourteen books for young readers, including THEODOSIA AND THE SERPENTS OF CHAOS ...more

Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist (4 books)
  • The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • The Unicorn’s Tale (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49