Start by marking “Całując ul (Crane's View, #1)” as Want to Read:
Całując ul (Crane's View, #1)

Całując ul (Crane's View #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  986 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Desperate for inspiration, a writer revisits a long-forgotten crime
After nine books, three wives, and a massive advance for his as-yet-unwritten next novel, Sam Boyd has run out of ideas. He tries to write but his characters are dull, lifeless. So his thoughts turn to his hometown, and the tragedy he once encountered there. Boyd was fifteen when he found Pauline Ostrova fl
Published 1999 by Dom Wydawniczy Rebis (first published December 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Całując ul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Całując ul

I was thinking between 3 or 4 stars but I ended giving it 4. Yes it was bit of disappointment but that doesn't mean it's a bad book. Wooden sea (third book in this series ) is one of my favourite books ever so it had nearly impossible expectations to live up to.

Unlike Wooden sea Kissing the beehive doesn't have supernatural/Sci-fi elements instead it's a murder mystery. What it has in common with it is that child/teenager we where vs adult we are now theme. When we stopped being one and started
David Stewart
Feb 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I first heard of Jonathan Carroll, it was from a blog post a few days ago by Neil Gaiman. He said Carroll was not to be missed, that he was great, etc. etc. I did a little research and saw Carroll's name mentioned alongside names like Murakami. What other proof did I need that I should read the works of this man?

Unfortunately, I was misled. Carroll is no Gaiman, and he is certainly no Murakami. His writing is perhaps a notch about a Harlan Coben or a James Patterson. Kissing the Beehive is
Kissing the Beehive is the first of the books in the Crane's View trilogy, the others being The Marriage of Sticks and The Wooden Sea. Unfortunately, I've been reading this books horribly out of order. I read The Wooden Sea first, and I've still not read Marriage of Sticks. Thankfully, they don't need to be read in order, although doing so appears to give Frannie McCabe (the protagonist in the last book) far more dimension.

Kissing the Beehive is much more realistic than most of Jonathan Carroll'

Struggling to overcome writer's block, Sam Bayer revisits his hometown, and is inspired to write about a murder he discovered as a child. A mysterious woman and some old friends help him to dig into a widening mystery.

I'm closing in on the conclusion that maybe I don't like Jonathan Carroll after all. It's a shame, because I now own a lot of his books. I bought a fair number of them a decade or two back, but my interest gradually waned. I bought a bunch more
Simon Mcleish
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on my blog here in July 2003.

Most of Carroll's novels have fantastical elements - spirits, blurred boundaries between fiction and reality, and so on - even if they start out seemingly realist. Kissing the Beehive is an exception to this, and is thus less individual than Carroll's other novels. It lies more within the crime than the fantasy genre, though it has other elements.

The central character and narrator of Kissing the Beehive, Samuel Beyer, is himself a best-selling no
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I'm about a third of the way through this and underwhelmed. The writing seems very pedestrian, and the protagonist comes across as a creep -- the way he talks about sex and women and his teenage daughter (he can't shut up about how pretty she is and his creepy possessiveness and hostility to her new boyfriend) and how he checked out the bod on the dead girl he found as a teenager is all very icky. Since it's a first-person narrative, I'm holding out a thin hope that this is intentional and that ...more
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely one of his best. I'd have given it six stars if I could. Unlike most of his other books, this one lacks even a whiff of the supernatural, and actually I think it works better than some of them. In many of Carroll's books, he is pondering the big ontological questions: life, death, love, meaning, existence. Here, he pares it down, focusing more on story than philosophy, and it works very, very well. The characters are among the most finely wrought I've ever had the pleasure to meet on ...more
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've never read a book by Jonathan Carroll I would think this is a good one to start with. Less fantasy elements than others, more of a mystery that's a bit like the old show Twin Peaks, but without 'the owls are not what they seem' and 'black lodge' stuff. I don't know if it's as hard to find as it used to be, my copy is a British edition.
Oct 07, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
why do you disappoint me so, jonathan carroll? i really felt that your books were special and beautiful, and then i go to the library and get this trite and misogynistic nonsense. i just checked out white apples. if it's not good, our relationship is over.
Anthony Cardenas
I started off reading this book thinking that I knew what it was about, only to finish it and realize that I had actually no clue as to what I actually read. I thought it was a non-fantasy Jonathan Carroll murder-mystery type of novel, much like Peter Straub's Blue Rose books Mystery and The Throat. As an admirer of Carroll's fantasy work, I have recently been delving into his non-fantasy work with great interest and an open mind. The first of these that i read was After Silence. I won't go into ...more
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This morning I was looking for something just to start reading, and I decided on Kissing the Beehive by Jonathan Carroll. I went a few pages and I just didn’t stop, I read until it was done. I think part of it was because for Carroll, it was such a strange book, strange in that it had absolutely no elements of magic realism. His books start out real enough, then all of a sudden the main character’s dog starts talking to a ghost, yet the talking dog and some ghost don’t make the story feel any le ...more
Nov 17, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libraryread
The main character is a writer who's feeling a bit museless.. until he decides to write about the murder of a hometown girl. He gets in touch with a childhood friend who is now the chief of police in his home town, and is pursued by/falls in love with a borderline obsessive fan of his.

Things are just starting to get interesting in his investigation... apparently someone else (possibly the murderer) is both helping and hindering the investigation, with deadly results.
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Among other things, the protagonist was such a major league dope that it was hard to care about him. I kept picturing Red from That 70's Show saying, "Bad things happen to you because you're a dumbass." And why were there so many exclamation points? Everyone talks like this! About everything! All the time! Drove me nuts. I was planning on reading the entire trilogy--maybe the next one is better.
Charles Ray
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Writer Sam Bayer is suffering from writer’s block. His work in progress—isn’t, so, remembering finding a dead woman floating in the Hudson River when he was 15, he decides to return to his hometown, investigate the case, and then write a book about it. Just before beginning his journey, he meets the enigmatic Veronica, a woman of many personalities, some loveable, some frightening, which adds to his angst as he begins to uncover secrets that have lain hidden for decades.
Kissing the Beehive by Jo
Egor Ignatenkov
Sep 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Last time I read Carroll was more than 10 years ago, don't remember if I had read this novel then but in general I had pretty good memories about the author. Also, now was the first time I read Carroll in English.

Completely disappointed. Weak plot, poor language, unlikable heroes. Last hundred pages I was longing for the book to end.
Jillian Higham
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really different

I was attracted to this book by the title and it was a really engrossing read. The prose is excellent and the characters leap off the page. I didn't like Veronica Lake, but her motives were quite different from what I was expecting. The plot twists and turns and the ending caught me by surprise.
Jan 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I put it down. I couldn't even finish it. The writing style did nothing for me. The characters seemed cliche. The plot was not interesting to me at all. Maybe I am missing something. Others seem to like it very much. Perhaps, Mr. Carroll has books I might like. This is not one of them.
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise there were parts of the story I couldn’t wait to find out what happens next and then there were parts that didn’t seem to connect and o had to reread and see if I misread. Not sure if that was intentional or not.
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My first book by Jonathan Carrol and it wont be my last, A very well written and interesting mystery.
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mainstream psychological mystery in Jonathan Carroll's style.Elegantly written and plotted as anything Carroll has written.KISSING THE BEEHIVE is destined to become a classic.
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written well

It's written well and I had a hard time putting it down. The story just flows and I recommend it
Feb 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my typical genre, but I picked it up on a recommendation. Though the plot was interesting enough, I didn't care for the writing.
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys urban fantasy or a bit of magic in their fiction; lovers of good prose.
This is my second book by Jonathan Carroll. I had to read it right away after reading "The Wooden Sea", which was, for my taste, practically perfect. I should not have been concerned that this book would disappoint. Kissing the Beehive was very different from The Wooden Sea, and yet the author's voice is clearly the same. I enjoy the first person narrator, the odd but enjoyable characters, and the richly detailed happenings. The main difference is that the story does not take the step into fanta ...more
John Herbert
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a real fan of Jonathan Carroll's quirky books, those lovely little 'greats' like 'The Land Of Laughs' and 'The Wooden Sea', so this one 'Kissing The Beehive' was a truly revelationary surprise, in that it was, by Carroll's standards, quite downright NORMAL. And as you read it you half expect a dog to walk in and start talking, or a ghost to pop down the chimney, but such occurrence happens.

A simple plot sees author Sam Bayer returning to his hometown, where years ago he found the mur
Mar 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: polar-msystery
Le roman policier est un genre où l'on joue avec les clichés - mais il y a toujours ce roman policier de deuxième, ou de troisième zone, dont vous attendez une lecture agréable, et qui va vous écraser avec leurs clichés. Le Baiser aux abeilles est de ceux-là.

Pitch : auteur à succès, jeune fille assassinée, manuscrit qu'on veut voler (ouhlàlà), amante foldingue, et une conception de la femme à faire pâlir. De peur. Vraiment.
Ajoutez à cela une traduction défaillante, pour la version française.

Anni fa sono stato in cura da un analista, che mi ha detto di non preoccuparmi, che tutto scorre, che niente dura per sempre. Se oggi non ti va bene, domani sarà diverso. Gli ho riso in faccia, dicendogli che in realtà tutto rimane, ti rimane appiccicato. I grosi scarafaggi dei ricordi e delle perdite ci rimangono attaccati, alcuni morti, molti altri vivi e vegeti, e ronzano e si agitano.

Un romanzo piuttosto tiepido, affascinante per certi versi ma anche noioso, e che giunge ad un finale sorpren
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
"Dawno, dawno temu był sobie taki czas, o którym pewni ludzie mówią, że wciąż jeszcze trwa"

Fascinating book with a speeding action. I knew only a few books which couldn't give me a rest from reading and this is one of them. The history is simply - from the beginning - but then suddenly you are not sure if you are reading the same book all this time. You are just simpy breathing with Sam, you are living his life. You have no time for your own life, own thoughts -you are Sam and you are expirienci
Książka miała dwa problemy które momentami ściagały ja do poziomu 2 gwiazdek:
- postać Veroniki, która doprowadzała mnie do szału za każdym razem gdy się pojawiała i która jest prawdopodobnie ucieleśnieniem porady dla celebrytów by "nie umawiać się z psychofanką".
- przynudzanie, bo od połowy książki autor sprawiał wrazenie jakby utopił się w zbędnych retrospekcjach o czasach szkolnych głównego bohatera, spotkaniach przy piwie i pogrzebach.

Sama historia była wciągająca, a do połowy książki płynęł
Oct 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Quick, intriguing read. Sam Bayer, a bestselling novelist , is experiencing writers' block and searching for the story to break it. "I started a short story but it was so dreary that even my pen threw up."

The protagonist is very full, full of the mistakes that come from three marriages, full of love for his daughter that shines like a beacon in tough times. Bayer starts seeing a fan, and we know why - "She looked as good going as she did coming." Cliche but makes me laugh to read it.

I like Carr
  • Smoking Poppy
  • Act of Passion
  • The Black Angel
  • Blackout
Jonathan Carroll (b. 1949) is an award-winning American author of modern fantasy and slipstream novels. His debut book, The Land of Laughs (1980), tells the story of a children’s author whose imagination has left the printed page and begun to influence reality. The book introduced several hallmarks of Carroll’s writing, including talking animals and worlds that straddle the thin line between reali ...more
More about Jonathan Carroll...

Crane's View (3 books)
  • The Marriage of Sticks  (Crane's View, #2)
  • The Wooden Sea  (Crane's View, #3)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • July, July
  • Clock Without Hands
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“Its easy to lose sight of what you want when you think you want everything.” 21 likes