Start by marking “How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art” as Want to Read:
How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art

How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art

Most outdoor books available in English fall prey to Victorian sensibilities and fail to mention one to the most serious issues encountered in trekking around the countryside. Kathleen eyer, river-runner and longtime outdoorswoman, corrects this oversight in How to Shit in the Woods. What was once instinct now needs to be learned. "Until roughly ten years ago, no one ever ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 107 pages
Published August 1st 1994 by Ten Speed Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about How to Shit in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Shit in the Woods

Start your review of How to Shit in the Woods: An Environmentally Sound Approach to a Lost Art
Erica
Apr 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book can be summarized thusly: Dig a hole for your shit, away from water or your camp. If you can't dig a hole, put it in a baggie and pack it out. Wash your hands. The end.

She doesn't talk about the decomposition process, or give any supporting evidence for her methods, or even any handy tips for dealing with carrying around baggies of poo for a week. She advocates peeing by sitting on a rock and then propping your feet up on another rock - not a bad method, if you want to spend 20 minute
Mont'ster
Oct 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anybody serious about camping
First thing - you can't be put off by the title. This is another book that I picked up at a gun show and, honestly, I don't think I would have bought it in a "normal" bookstore. The author isn't going for "shock value" - she has a very humorous preface detailing the anguish she went through in trying to pick a title that conveyed her subject and the seriousness with which she treats her subject.

Meyer states that she felt that all euphemisms for "doing your business" were distracting and honestl
FridasMom Zamora
hope to learn how to pee in the woods without soaking my socks.
Jc
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have known of this book for 20 years and always been curious. Of course, it is a rather limited audience, but for those of you who backpack, canoe camp, or otherwise hit the wilderness outside of pit-toiletville, the topic of this book is really very serious and important. Written in a friendly straightforward manner (as evidenced by the author's carefully described argument as to why it was important to say "shit" instead of beating around the bush with a more polite turn of phrase), this boo ...more
Robert
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is good in that the relevant information is sound, unfortunately the topic merits only a long magazine article. The rest is padding.
Marco Pavan
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, sport
Interesting and quite well written. however, nothing i did not already know and/or cautiously practiced.
Jesse Tilley
I was not expecting the book's title to be so literal.
Wendi Lau
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, nonfiction
Lots of stories. Funny. Enlightening. Very useful. Using a snowball on my ass might be the most realistic thing I'd try for number 2. A stick sounds scary.
Tima
Jul 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you spend any time at all in the great out of doors, you'll need to know how to properly use the bathroom. The author has researched all of the various methods - packing it out, burying it, etc. and has presented the results of her research in a clear, concise, and occasionally amusing book.

I would NEVER have chosen to review this book. But when my husband heard me laughing about the title, he assured me that the book was somewhat famous and purported to be highly amusing. I didn't see anywh
Erin
Jul 16, 2008 rated it liked it
I didn't think an entire book on how to shit in the woods would be necessary, but this one has some good info in it and some funny stories. I've seen enough stupid stuff in the woods to know that more people should read this book. The book covers ideas for proper form, location, etiquette, how to pack it out, water filtration, and most importantly - the environmental impacts of our actions.
Dioscita
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Not only is this funny, it's totally correct.
Jill Dominique Nuñez
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
my bestfriend bought this for me as a gag gift. best thing ever! haha
Paul Weiss
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Required reading if you have to "go" outdoors!

To the uninitiated, the art of having a dump in the woods probably seems no more complicated than "squat, squint, squeeze and squeegee"! But, alas, as the world shrinks and the use of the world's limited wilderness terrain by outdoor adventurers increases to the limit of the land's ability to withstand the stress of that use, it's just not that simple. When considerations such as ecology, weather, temperature, privacy, courtesy, hygiene, biodegradati
Harrison
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
It sounds more interesting than it is. It reads like an old school scouts guide. While it does offer good tips for the subject matter, I would skip it entirely unless you're REALLY into exploring the outdoors.

If you're an outdoor hiker then by all means, you'll be able to put the knowledge in this book into practise. Otherwise skip. The novelty wore off pretty quickly and the humor was just mainly the novelty of a book about pooping in the woods heeheehee.
Zibbernaut
Jul 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Honestly I don't know what I expected. Did I think that the title was a way to bring me in, and we'd be discussing the environmental impact that camping has on the land, and ways to combat that? Or did I think that the entire book would literally be about shitting in the woods?

The title was not just to be funny. It was legit. The whole book is about how to shit in the woods and how to bring your shit out of the woods so we don't ruin them.
Seth Thomas
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The information was useful though outdated by the time I read it. The humor was irritating after 2 paragraphs. If it had been a pamphlet of half the length it would have been twice as good. There are numerous outdoor-related websites that you should read instead for the same information. Just google it.
Vivina Vincent
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book to understand on compost toilets and stick to the natural and most environment friendly way of shitting. It has been a hillarious read and quite informative( for those travelling outdoors). It definitely broadened by view on ickiness of the matter and get over it to make it easy for mother Earth.
Max M
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
A very informational book about the best practices, poses, and tools to use when pooping in the woods. The author also spoke of waterborne protozoic, bacterial, and viral infections you might experience in the wild and how to go about treating them. She had a shout-out to Darwin OnTheTrail so that was a pleasant surprise!
Alex Drysdale
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Got this book as a gift and was hoping it would be a bit more direct.

It would be a good bathroom reader as there is a lot of fluff.

In the end I think the book could be whittled down to 10 or less pages.
Jennifer Cody
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was given to my parents as a joke gift when I was a kid, and I took it with me for nostalgia sake, but never read it until now. It was about as you’d expect for a novelty book... not a ton of substance.
Stephanie
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Once you get over yourself about the topic there is a lot of very useful, frank information in this little book. It is dated (you can tell by the extensive product lists which were critical in a pre-commonplace-Internet age) but the bulk of the work doesn’t suffer for it.
Sue
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
As a weekend walker and an occasional camper, picked this up expecting a fun, silly , read, but instead learned a ton about ecology, nature, current laws and some neat suggestions for taking care of a common concern for outdoor enthusiasts Who knew there were funnels for women???
Julia B
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and practical at the same time.
Candice
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!!! Some great tips too lol!
Daniel
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very informative. A quick read. Necessary if you're planning on backpacking.
Dan Wilcox
Put that in your backpack, along with your triple-wrapped toilet paper!
Adi
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The title does really say it all.
Turner
Oct 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
The content of this book could have been covered in no more then 2 blog posts
Stéphane Piette
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
short, fun and important things learned !
Victoria
I definitely learned a lot!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mind of the Raven: Investigations and Adventures with Wolf-Birds
  • Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces
  • A Transcontinental Affair
  • The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir
  • Circle-Dot: A True Story of Cowboy Life Forty Years Ago (1907)
  • Beat to Quarters
  • Squeeze Me (Skink #8)
  • Migrations
  • Guerrilla Wife
  • The Meuller Report: The Full Report on Donald Trump, Collusion, and Russian Interference in the Presidential Election
  • Get It Done: From Procrastination to Creative Genius in 15 Minutes a Day
  • Votre temps est infini - Et si votre journée était plus longue que vous ne le pensiez ?
  • The New Way of the Wilderness: The Classic Guide to Survival in the Wild
  • Out of the Silence: After the Crash
  • The Mueller Report
  • Old Gimlet Eye (Annotated): The Adventures of Smedley D. Butler
  • The Poison Diaries (The Poison Diaries, #1)
  • Texas Far and Wide: The Tornado with Eyes, Gettysburg’s Last Casualty, the Celestial Skipping Stone and Other Tales

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...