Start by marking “Squire (Protector of the Small, #3)” as Want to Read:
Squire (Protector of the Small, #3)

Squire (Protector of the Small #3)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  42,794 Ratings  ·  717 Reviews
When Kel is chosen by the legendary Lord Raoul to be his squire, the conservatives of the realm hardly think she’s up to the job. Kel earns respect and admiration among the men, as well as the affection of a fellow squire.
“This feminist fantasy is a delightful read.”—KLIATT
Published August 24th 2004 by Bluefire (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Squire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Squire

Kogiopsis
This was supposed to be the one where I let myself reminisce, and I had all sorts of ideas for things I wanted to say, but now they all sort of sound like oversharing and I don't feel like making you uncomfortable, so I'm not going to do that.

Instead...

It has come to my attention that certain people don't think this is a particularly 'moral' book. Not to name any names, but there are only two one-star reviews for it so I think you'll be able to find the one I mean pretty easily. I don't believe
Rachel E. Carter
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-paperback
Buddy Reread 1/29/15-1/30/15 w/Monica (the other Tamora Pierce lover who thinks Alanna is still more legendary, hmmph!)

Read this series. If you love fantasy and action and light but worthwhile romance with a strong protagonist and amazing worlds and believable characters and awesome friendships and epic pets and straight-out-of-a-movie battle sequences then read this series.

description

5 STARS AND THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT.
Bridget Mckinney
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

Squire is basically everything I could ever want in a Tamora Pierce book, and if this series ended here, I would be okay with that. Kel really is a wonderful heroine, and I loved getting to see her finally achieve her dream in this novel.

Things about Squire:
- I was very happy that the trial for Lalasa's attackers wasn't forgotten, and I really liked the way that played out.
- King Jonathan is a great character, and it's been really interesting to see how he has grown and changed over time throu

Minli
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It's 2 am and I'm writing reviews.

I rarely revisit books I read in my childhood, partly because I'm deathly afraid they'll be visited by the suck fairy and partly because I rarely have time to re-read. Not so with these books. I began reading Tamora Pierce when I was eleven, and unlike so many others, I started reading her Circle of Magic books first. While I enjoyed them, I didn't understand why she inspired such fervent love in other fans--until I read her Tortall books.

And yes, I enjoyed the
Kayla Edwards
Oh these books, every time I read them it's like visiting a best friend. I adore Kel today as much as I did when these books were first published; I will forever be grateful to Tamora Pierce for creating this fantastic heroine because "bless [her], [she is] real." Kel doesn't have the Gift or any wild magic to help her. She gets everything only through grimy, hard work and persistence just like the rest of us and I admire her so much for it. I reread these books ALL THE TIME because I need that. ...more
Hannah
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, ya, mg
Once upon a time in college, a friend and I realized we'd had similar experiences with this book. Specifically, we both started at book 3 in a series after finding it on a bookstore shelf and snapping it up on a whim.

I go back and forth about whether Protector of the Small or Trickster's Choice represent my favorite Tamora Pierce books, but this one's definitely my favorite within the Protector of the Small framework.

The entire series revolves around Kel, beginning at age 10 when she's the firs
Marilag
Okay, I meant to do a review of the entire series, but Squire made my heart soar that I couldn't just step away and say: "Will review the series at the end."

Squire Keladry is a diamond. She's a girl undergoing her knighthood training some century after lady knights have grown out of fashion in Tortall. Save Alanna, of course; but to Tortallans, the Lioness is an entity in herself. So it's up to Kel to turn the conservatives' heads the other way by making her own statement: that girls can be knig
lisa
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
04/13: it doesn't matter how often i read these books, i inevitably spend half the time clutching the book to my chest and declaring my love for all of the characters and crying about how much i love everyone.

-----

09/10: oh my god raoul, there aren't enough heart-hands IN THE WORLD. he is so good and smart and funny and amazing! he has such faith in kel and in the system, and i mean, seriously, people with stupid amounts of honor are such a turn-on for me, and hfurevhreu RAOUL.

neal telling kel w
Kaye
This review was from my snarky early teen years. I only kept it up to keep a trail for myself of how I've grown, figuratively and mentally.

Since people see fit to stumble on it once in a while and leave long comments telling me how wrong/ignorant/prudish I am, I'm removing it.

And I'm removing those comments as well. Because I don't have time for that.
Ashley
Funnily enough, Squire follows our heroine, Keladry of Mindelan, through her years as a squire. I know, right? Who'd have guessed.

I'm not sure why I'm being so snarky about this, the book was lovely. At this point in the series, I'm not sure if there's any more apt of a word to describe Kel than to say she's 'steadfast.' She not only survives her (3-4?) years as a squire -- and she squires for no less of a knight than Raoul of Goldenlake, the commander of the King's Own, protectors of the realm
Hannah
This is my favourie in the series. I love this book!! Kel is now a squire to Lord Raoul, at first she is nervous but the two soon become very close. Kel gets better and better at fighting and leading people. Kel even starts a budding romance. I love the relationship her and Raoul have, I love reading about the realationships between a young person and their mentor! Plus I just love Raoul in general , he is such an awesome character! One of my favourite Tamora Pierce books yet and a favourite in ...more
Jackie
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are so dear to me! This is only my first reread of POTS, but they absolutely make my heart swell with joy. So special. I already have an Alanna in my life (my two year old palomino mare) and I think a Kel is in my future.

Reading Tamora Pierce make my fingers itch to write! Maybe I'll be prepared by NANOWRIMO.....
Andrea
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
THIS WAS SO FREAKING GOOD. I really shouldn't be surprised how much I end up loving the later books in Tamora's series, but here we are.

I loved seeing Raoul in this book with more of a role than secondary character. I loved getting to know him and he was probably the best mentor for Kell. He reminded me so much of a dad, I laughed at a lot of the things he said. At the same time, he did such a good job training and preparing Kell for a future as a knight.

I liked how this book was different tha
Ryan
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Squire is my favorite book in the series. It is very much the "coming of age" book for its main protagonist, Kel. She has graduated from page training and become a squire, ready to be trained in the field by a knight...if only one would pick her. Most of her friends have been snapped up already, and most of the knights who intend to take squires for training have already made their choices. It leaves her feeling morose, believing that nobody would want "the girl" to train.

Luckily, she is proven
Emma
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Protector of the Small series is by far my favorite series, among Pierce's works and the genre overall, and among the quartet, Squire is definitely the best.

The entire series is focused on morality, on the choices people make, and the kinds of people they become, and a lot of it comes to a head in Squire. Kel relies not on magic, destiny, and luck, like the enjoyably far-fetched Song of the Lioness and Immortals quartets, but on determination, hard work, patience, and a strong moral compass
Rachael (RedRchlReads)
4.5 Stars!

I really enjoyed Squire - definitely the most out of the first 3 books in this series. This book is where the series diverges the most from the same things that Alanna went through with her training. Squire covers all four years of Keladry's time as a Squire (obviously) all the way up until her Knight test. We see a lot of the world and of Keladry and the court as well during this book.

Squire deals with a lot more of the political aspects of Tortall and the court. So much so that a la
Andree
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, re-read
This is confirming my conviction that Kel would stand up to rereading.

This is a delight. I'd somehow forgotten that Raoul is Kel's knight sponsor (RAOUL). This one is five stars because it just works. I'm not going to be able to explain it more than that. Everything about it just works.

I adore Raoul as knight master. He's the teacher Kel always needed. I love that she's to be a Commander in training. I love his relationship with Kel. Just as I love her relationship with the Yammani women, having
Emma Michaels
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this novel Kel has to go through four years as a squire before she can become a knight. For those of you who have read the first two books you will understand what I mean when I say: Yes! One step closer Kel just get through this and you will be a knight!!! Not to say that the adventure ends when she becomes a knight because in Lady Knight you realize the adventure is only just beginning but that is for my next review. In Squire Tamora Pierce as always hits the ball out of the park and makes ...more
Stephanie Jobe
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This volume always feels like the time flies by even though it is longer to account for the four years as a squire. The book opens with Kel stressing over having not been chosen as a squire, but that is quickly remedied when she is chosen by Lord Raoul and so she continues her adventures with the King’s Own. It always baffles me looking back that the griffin is only in Kel’s life for less than a book because the creature is definitely a presence. (I don’t quite consider this a spoiler as it is d ...more
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, review

Kelladry has passed all four years of being a page, and is now a squire. The only problem is that no knight has picked her for their squire. She is finally picked by Raoul Goldenlake, Commander of the Kings Own. As she accompanies Raoul on his adventures, she is accompanied by her old friends Jump, the dog, and Crown and her flock of sparrows. She also gains a Griffin rescued from a centaur raid.

Kelladry has matured
adrienne
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MY GIRL KEL
Anna
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tortall-series
How do you rate a book if you were annoyed at its first half and loved the second half? In this case, I rate ‘Squire’ 4.5 stars – because the second half made up for it and because it’s definitely better than ‘First Test’ and ‘Page’.

I think one of the reasons I wasn’t invested in this book and I didn’t enjoy this series as much as, say, ‘The Immortals Quartet’, is because Kel’s personality doesn’t click with me. In this book, it becomes especially apparent since most of the characters I loved i
Kathy Davie
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Third in the Protector of the Small series within the overall Tortall series. It revolves around Keladry of Mindelan, the second girl in the kingdom who wants to become a knight.

My Take
Parents, you really do want your girls to read this whole series. It promotes equality for girls and boys and shows the pluses and minuses of one's reception when pursuing a dream. There are good and bad people in this series, just as there is in real life and Pierce provides plenty of examples of some good ways t
Beth
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Tamora Pierce book I read. I was in seventh grade, and my friend had this book with a cool-looking cover, and I'd read snatches over her shoulder, and then I went to the library and found out that Tamora Pierce had a tremendous back catalog. And that's how it all started.

I love this book. Always have. I'm about to ask a whole bunch of worldbuilding questions, but still: I love this. I love Kel - I love Raoul - I love how busy she is as a squire - I think this story is great. On
Kales
Kel is an amazing heroine and really came into her own in this book. I have a theory about Tamora Pierce's quartets that the third book is my favorite because it's when the women transition from middle school age to young women. They prove to everyone how awesome they are, how strong and powerful. The romance also develops which is very nice. I was weary of Kel in the first couple of books but I fell in love with her over the course of this book.

I am so excited for the fourth one. Especially wi
Carolyn
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was amazing! There were some slow parts in the middle but Kel's character brought me through. She has got to be one of my favourite female protagonists!
Hannah (fullybookedreviews)
It's feminist, it's fantasy, and its alternately funny or full of feelings. What's not to love?

I also find it a lot easier to relate to the characters when their older- while I enjoyed the first two books of Kel's series, and indeed Alanna's as well, having them grow up and encounter adult situations and choices is a lot more interesting that their exploits as a child.

Reasons why this book rocks:

1. Periods are something that almost all teenage girls have to deal with. And when you're an ass-kick
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, books-i-own
Tricia
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathryn
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is everything a YA fantasy novel should be, and Tamora Pierce is a goddess.

Tamora Pierce's Tortall books were incredibly important to my growing up years. I just finished my semi-annual reread, during which I end up spending quite a bit of time debating which book/series/heroine is the best. The answer is, it's this one. This is the best book in the best series following the best heroine in Tortall. It's more complex than earlier books, but still has a lovely sense of exuberance and n
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • A Stranger to Command
  • Wizards at War (Young Wizards, #8)
  • Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2)
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • Half-Human
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Drowned Ammet (The Dalemark Quartet, #2)
  • The Dragon Book: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #3)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro

Protector of the Small (4 books)
  • First Test (Protector of the Small, #1)
  • Page (Protector of the Small, #2)
  • Lady Knight (Protector of the Small, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“When people say a knight's job is all glory, I laugh and laugh and laugh. Often I can stop laughing before they edge away and talk about soothing drinks.” 401 likes
“I'm sick of this. Call me what you like, say I'm without honor, I don't care. I'm not getting on any more horses to whack you people with a stick.” 204 likes