Start by marking “Anna Is Still Here” as Want to Read:
Anna Is Still Here

Anna Is Still Here

Anna, a "hidden child" during World War II, struggles to adjust to freedom and overcome her fears in Holland after the Holocaust. "A compelling book, even stronger than its fine predecessor." -- Kirkus Reviews, pointer
Published April 26th 1993 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Anna Is Still Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna Is Still Here

Ripken
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl who is in hiding from the Nazis.

I loved when Anna decides to help find Fannie. I also liked how Fannie is found and she was going to be taken to her real mom. I learned that people changed their names when they were in hiding.

The Nazis took away so many things from the Jews during world war 2.
Rants and Bants
Sigh...and the Summer Curse continues.

Even aside from the bland writing and unimpressive plot, it still would've been an okay story if Anna hadn't become so unlikeable by the end of it. The way she bullied that poor innocent boy, Stefan, was disgusting. And not much is said about it. This isn't the first time in fiction (and I certainly see it a lot in real life) where the oppressed/marginalized person gets away with shitting on an innocent person that had zero and fuck all to do with what they
Rachell Benitez
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book Anna is still here by Ida Vos is a great book one of my favorites it’s a very sad book. This book talks about a girl named Anna who hid in an attic for 3 years in world war 2. She's is still trying to get over the trauma that world war 2 caused her to have. This book has 139 pages. I would recommend this book if you like sad/drama/ realistic fiction books.
Leeann
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a story about the aftermath of the Holocaust. I have read many books, both written for children and for adults, about the Holocaust, but few about what the the survivors faced in trying to piece their lives back together. I appreciate this book for that reason. The story starts out in fear and despair and ends in renewal and hope.
Katterley
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The narrative was a little choppy, and perspective a little inconsistent from time to time, but then, wouldn't Anna's brain patterning be as such with what she went through, hiding upstairs, separated from her parents and all those she knows and loves? A good read, full of sadness, but hope, too.
Dani Walters
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Very educational but not necessarily appropriate for the age level
Molly
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Most WW2 books I read take place during the war, but this one had the unique premise of taking place after the war, and the lingering effects it still has on everyone. War is not something that just goes away once it's over.
Sandy Brehl
This slim novel engages readers with a variety of characters whose lives were severely altered by the Nazi persecution of the Jews. In this case, it is Netherlands, post-WWII, and the young girl Anna carries the story while probing and weaving the stories of others into her post-war traumatic stress. As a read aloud it would work well as mentor text for sustaining story elements NOT delivered in chronological order, for flashbacks, confused/unreliable narrators, and character development.
Patrick
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Brian
Sep 30, 2010 rated it liked it

Thirteen year old Anna is facing difficulties in the real world, because she was mentally abused from the war, and hiding from Nazis. She has to recover from all the hard times of being alone to being disrespected as a person. Her father, even has troubles of his own. Her mother and Anna talk about how her father doesn't like pictures of passed away people from the war.

Anna sees this house that scares her, because she thinks the owner is a Nazi. Anna is wrong about this house, and throughout th

Wendy
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
I read this as part of my final project I am doing for Children's Literature, the topic is the Holocaust as presented in Children's Lit. This book falls in the early chapter book area, no pictures, all text but no overly hard words. However, if you let the simple reading level stop you from reading this I think you will be missing out on a powerful story.

Anna lives in Holland. She was in hiding for 3 years during the Nazi occupation. She was alone, except for Kiki, her imaginary friend. She had
Brian
Sep 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I Learned:

There are so many people out there with struggles of their own, some cant even help. They cant help that they were born jewish, or whatever makes them different from their haters. No matter what they overcome, there will always be after affects, thoughts, fears, and adjustment troulbes.

My Review:

after the Holocaust

Anna has struggles living the regular life because she hasnt lived one for a while. Kept in a room by herself, voice kept at a whisper.. She doesn't know how to talk l

Miss Amanda
** spoiler alert ** gr 5-8

1945 Holland. The war is finally over and Anna is finally reunited with her parents. 13 year old Anna spent 3 years in hiding alone and finds it hard to adjust to being back with her parents, going to school. When she meets Mrs. Neumann, at first she is convinced she is a Nazi. Anna learns that like her Mrs. Neumann was forced to hide during the war. Mrs. Neumann is waiting for word of what happened to her husband Max and her daughter Fannie.

The story focused on the re
Amanda
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Anna is Still Here is written by Ida Vos. The main characters are Anna Markus and her neighbor Mrs.Neumann. This book's setting is in Holland when World War II ends. After Anna has been in hiding for three years during the war, she finally sees her parents. Anna's mother and father will not tell Anna many things, so she get's upset and goes on a walk. She finds Mrs.Neumann's house and they become good friends. Then Anna finds out that Mrs.Neumann has a daughter Fannie, that looks like Anna. Fan ...more
Rebecca
May 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
OK, y'all know how I overdosed on Holocaust lit a looong time ago. But I still find poignant the rare stories that focus on how screwed up everyone was AFTER the war, like The Journey Back. These books go beyond the happily ever after of liberation to deal with survivers' trauma and the emotional realities of trying to rebuild broken families. This one is sensitive and right on, though the ending is pure fantasy.
Taylor
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
anna is still here is about a little girl named anna who came back from hiding from the holocaust. she was separated from her mom and dad. but her mom and dad found her and took her back. she goes to mrs neumanns house all the time. her parents dont like that. anna didnt care. mrs. neumann's daughter frannie and her husband got taken away from the holocaust. she awaited for her daughter for a long time.
Katie
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I remember getting this book at a book fair when I was in the second grade and it is actually one I still own, over a decade later. I remember liking it because it was told from the perspective of a child and so was easier for me to understand the confusion and fear that Anna felt, which in my opinion Vos handled wonderfully. It's a very powerful book that I highly would recommend to anyone with children, or even just adults.
I read this in sixth grade. For some reason, in middle school, we had to read about a million books about WWII and the Holocaust. I barely remember what happened in this book except that it was in present tense which I had never really read in a book before.
Jamal
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This story was about a young girl named anna that has just came out of an attic after having to go through the whole holocaust now she has to get her life back together and live the life of a normal girl
Trista Serrano
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this with my daughter. It is a powerful story and we learned so much together. It was just enough information to introduce her to the subject of the Holocaust and she now would like to learn more.
Moira
May 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The Holocaust is over, but Anna is still haunted by the past. This has a fifth grade reading level, but is a wonderful fictional story of a young girl three years after the Holocaust. The writing style is very odd.
Beth
Nov 06, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mybooks
This book was kind hard to understand, but it was pretty good.
Kathleen A
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story about the holocaust. Middle school reading level but there needs some prep about the holocaust before and careful guidance throughout the book. Very well done.
Lily
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
good book, had to read it for english class but i actually liked it
Joanna Lee
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a very heartwarming story :) i read it when i was still in highschool ! definitely a wonderful story :)
Sharon
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Great story about a girl coping after she comes out from hiding from the Nazis.
Leslie Moncada
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
An amazing story, and I enjoyed Anna's point of view on the story. It is simple but contains such a good message and provides an insight on how hard life was during this time.
Liv
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've EVER READ
Skylah
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i have the book and i love it
IS IT A GOOD BOOK 1 1 Dec 08, 2007 07:14PM

• Odin's Promise (Odin's Promise, #1)
  • Memphis, Martin, and the Mountaintop: The Sanitation Strike of 1968
  • The Yellow Star: The Legend of King Christian X of Denmark
  • Benno and the Night of Broken Glass
  • Greater Than Angels
  • The Klipfish Code
  • A Diamond in the Desert
  • Something Happened in Our Town: A Child's Story about Racial Injustice
  • Write to Me: Letters from Japanese American Children to the Librarian They Left Behind
  • Irena's Jars of Secrets