Start by marking “Oh Danny Boy (Molly Murphy Mysteries #5)” as Want to Read:
Oh Danny Boy (Molly Murphy Mysteries #5)

Oh Danny Boy (Molly Murphy #5)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  3,471 Ratings  ·  228 Reviews

In turn-of-the-century New York City, Irish immigrant Molly Murphy is contemplating giving up PI work for something a little less complicated, less exciting. Molly has had quite enough excitement recently, thank you very much. Especially from the handsome but deceptive NYPD captain Daniel Sullivan, whom she'd like to avoid completely. But when Daniel is accused of acceptin
Published March 7th 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published March 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Oh Danny Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh Danny Boy

Ingrid
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another delightful Molly Murphy mystery, always with that dash of Irishness in it. Can't help myself, I love it.
Susan
Another great mystery in this series. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about Molly's adventures as she solves mysteries, exposing corruption in the early 1900's. She can be full of spunk, pushing the boundaries of the acceptable role of the early 1900's woman one minute, then very vulnerable the next. One gets a glimpse of what life was like for people in the different classes at this point in time. Although a driving force for the story, the reader sees very little of Molly's love interest. Ca ...more
Kathy
Oh Danny Boy is the fifth installment in the Molly Murphy mystery series set in early twentieth century New York City. One of the strongest elements in these books is how Rhys Bowen so clearly ensconces the reader into the time frame of this city full of immigrants. It is the Irish immigrants with whom we gain familiarity most, as Molly is an Irish young woman with all the sauce and temperament of the red-haired Irish lass. She is determined to make her own way in a male-dominated city and profe ...more
Suzanna
Oct 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I didn't enjoy this book. I managed for force myself to read about half of it, and finally gave it up.

In my opinion, this author has little talent. I'm amazed she is so successful -- perhaps I picked a poor example of her work. To me, this read like a second-rate television mystery show; it makes "Murder, She Wrote" look more like "Masterpiece Theatre". The characters are shallow and typey, and similarly the language is canned goods as caviar. The story was predictable.

No good news on this one
Carol
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this story. Not always happy with Molly and her decisions in this installment, but overall a decent story. I wonder if any of the new characters will make appearances in future installments. I enjoy reading about NYC and the surrounding area in the late 1800's. I also liked the addition of 2 REAL people into the story - Police Matron Goodwin and Police Commissioner Patridge - even if we didn't know they were real until the postscript at the end of the book. Anxious to read Mystery #6.
Toni
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This, I'm sad to say, is where I end my acquaintance with the Molly Murphy Mystery series. Although well-written, just like the previous four books, I found too many things to be off-putting in this fifth addition to the series.
Molly is back from her assignment in upstate New York and is yet again lacking in cash and cases to keep her afloat. However, she suddenly finds all her time consumed when she is summoned to the Tombs, the city's harsh and unforgiving prison. There, she finds Daniel Sull
Eed99
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think in the series so far this was my favorite mystery Molly has had to solve. Molly is actually trying to solve multiple mysteries and the further she delves into each of them, the more she discovers they are connected.

I enjoyed her various explorations in New York and Coney Island. I also like the fact that Molly seems to be making connections in the police and gangs along the way just through her tenacious nature.

I think the two things that still stand out most are the way the City is bro
Katie Sholty
Alternative Title: Daniel the Deceiver Meets Karma

Anyone else want a cat fight between Molly and N (Spell check is really not liking her name, hence, "N".) Or at least a really good catty back and forth? I feel as if N and Molly were a bit too civilized about it.

The plot is a tangled web of murder, a dead horse, prize fights, and missing girls. Molly as per usual bungles her way through the seedier side of New York in effort to free Daniel's name and get him out of the Tombs. What is different
Sharon
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this compelling mystery which takes place in 1902 in New York City and is very evocative of that time and place. Molly Murphy, a female private detective, is trying desperately to free her friend and former lover, police detective Daniel Sullivan from jail. She is convinced of his innocence and believes him when he claims to have been framed although he does not know how or why. Molly is joined by her bohemian friends, Sid and Gus as well as Sabella Goodwin (a historical figur ...more
Tatiana Soldatova
Very good as every other book in this series.
Nancy Haddock
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is it me or does this series get better and better? Molly faces new challenges with help from a new friend or two, and I hope some of them will turn up in subsequent books. (No, I haven't caught all the way up in the series yet, but I'm working on it!)
Aoife
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story: 4 stars
Narration: 3 stars

Narration by Nicole Barber
Miz Lizzie
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Not quite as strong as the previous Molly Murphy entries, this adventure is both darker and duller with Molly overlooking the obvious villain for far too long in the narrative. Then, again, Molly is a little preoccupied with an unexpected pregnancy and her on-again-off-again beau, Captain Daniel Sullivan, behind bars. A Jack the Ripper-like case is the backbone of the mystery though there are several other red herring cases thrown in as well. Sabella Goodwin, an actual historical character who w ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006, mystery
Molly's sometimes boyfriend Daniel is arrested for police corruption, which is crazy despite the evidence against him. Molly, naturally, tries to clear his name. This book is great for characters development of both Molly and Daniel not to mention a great mystery.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Betty
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I continue reading Molly Murphy books through my library. I feel the series gets better with each book. In this one Daniel Sullivan is framed and in place in the Tombs. Molly works by herself to help him. All leads to those who might help are close to her. The ending is a surprise. Now on to IN DUBLIN'S FAIR CITY.
Mary
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series, look forward to more. Molly is an 17th century would be private investigator and the love of her life is in prison and needs her help. He boldness and wit get her into dangerous situations and with the help of her friends she keeps pushing buttons and asking questions until something pops.
Erin Lee Arvin
This book takes a darker tack on Molly Murphy's life, and that of the goings-on around Coney Island. I really enjoyed her character development. I was also pleased that Ryan, Sid, and Gus took a backseat, as they were becoming caricatures in the last book. Another great installment in this series!
Sian Jones
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I learned that I'm very much over the romantic plot of this series. Danny Boy is a ... how do I put this politely? A douche. I'm sorry to use such formal language, but there we are. Is it wrong of me to want Molly to meet a nice friend of Sid and Gus's and settle down?
Massanutten Regional Library
Judy, North River staff, July 2016, 5 stars:

Excellent series about a headstrong Irish lass who refuses to conform to 1900s requirements for women. Runs a detective agency, lives in bohemian New York, has bohemian friends. Well written and engaging. I am thoroughly enjoying the series.
Annie
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
An exciting and engaging read, though I admit - I'm a bit baffled and underwhelmed by the ending.
Agnesxnitt
I must admit this was a bit of a muddle plot-wise for me, and I didn't enjoy it quite as much as 'In Like Flynn'.
Molly's would be suitor, Captain Daniel Sullivan, has been arrested for alleged corruption charges, and rumours are spreading like wildfire concerning his honesty and gang involvement. He begs Molly to help him, as no one else will, the entire of the NYC Police Department has turned against him. The plot involves a punch drunk boxer alternatively hiding out or going missing, an invest
Christine
I finished over half of this last night because I really wanted to know what happened.

Strengths: The mystery was well done even if it wasn't the most convoluted. I enjoyed the addition of Sabella especially since, as other reviewers have mentioned, Molly's friends have taken on the role of stock background characters.

Weaknesses: I was never a big fan of any of Molly's suitors and that continues to be the case in this book. My opinion of Daniel took a huge nose dive in book #4 and this book does
Stephen Terrell
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My wife and I have simply fallen in love with Rhys Bowen's Molly Murphy series. The audible versions of these books (which are incredibly well done) now accompany us on all of our road trips.

Oh Danny Boy is no exception. The book opens with Molly's would-be love interest, Police Captain Daniel Sullivan, confined to The Tombs, New York City's infamous jail. He is accused of bribing an underworld figure within eyesight of the New York Police Commissioner. Of course, it's up to Molly to investigate
Camilla
This one was a stumper. I did not see how Molly would be able to figure it all out and it got dangerously close to the end before it did all work out. I am constantly surprised with these stories that so many of the crimes are unable to be prosecuted due to lack of evidence. Molly uncovers the truth but she can't do anything about it, and that's disappointing because there are some really heinous crimes taking place. This installment was especially scandalous with a serial killer reminiscent of ...more
Trina
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I seldom write reviews or give books five stars; this novel rated both.
While I prefer Ms. Bowen's Lady Georgianna and Constable Evans series, once I had finished reading all of those that were in print , I had to start the Molly Murphy mysteries.
Molly is a very likable heroine and the melodramatic flair of her adventures very much suits this series's turn of the century, immigrant in New York setting.
This latest installment, book 5 in the series, goes beyond the usual formulaic detective nove
Beachreader
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Capt Daniel Sullivan is in jail for accepting a bribe. Molly works hard to discover who is responsible for setting him up. Is it linked to a case he was investigating? Horse doping or maybe The Ripper. Molly finds an ally in a police matron doing undercover work on the Ripper case.

Molly seems to traverse the entirety of NYC and some of its burroughs, much of it on foot. She still has no money, yet she is living in her little house in the alley with no rental income. Seamus and children are still
Faythe Shattuck
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Irish immigrant-turned-private detective Molly Murphy comes to the aid of handsome NYPD Captain Daniel Sullivan, who's been arrested for accepting bribes and setting up a prize fight for his friend Gentleman Jack. As Molly sets out to prove that he has been framed, she also finds herself being drawn into the case of a serial killer who is being called the Eastside Ripper since he's murdered five prostitutes.

Both of the mysteries are full of twists, turns, and new characters, which makes it hard
Pyrate Queen
Daniel Sullivan, Molly's sometimes beau, has been arrested for taking a bride from the mob, and it's up to Molly to prove his innocence. But her investigations into the cases he was working on prove to be quite complicated and intertwined with connections leading all the way up to his boss, the new police commissioner. Could he be behind the set-up? Or could it be one of the officers working with Daniel? And who's responsible for the brutal murders of the prostitutes showing up in the streets? H ...more
Kathleen O'Nan
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bonnie Irwin
This was an entertaining read. A serial killer is on the loose in NYC and Coney Island, Molly's ally in the PD, Daniel, is jailed in the Tombs, and Molly is also confronting some personal challenges. Along the way she finds a friend and partner in Mrs. Goodwin, a police matron, who I hope will become a recurring character.
  • Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8)
  • The Winter of Her Discontent (Rosie Winter, #2)
  • Wedding Rows (Manor House Mystery #8)
  • Death on Telegraph Hill (Sarah Woolson, #5)
  • Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)
  • What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5)
  • Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries, #6)
  • The Tale of Briar Bank (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #5)
  • Secret of the White Rose (Simon Ziele, #3)
  • Murder in a Mill Town (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #2)
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen

Molly Murphy (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #1)
  • Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #2)
  • For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #3)
  • In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #4)
  • In Dublin's Fair City (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #6)
  • Tell Me, Pretty Maiden (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #7)
  • In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy, #8)
  • The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #9)
  • Bless the Bride (Molly Murphy, #10)
  • Hush Now, Don't You Cry  (Molly Murphy, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead