Start by marking “Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1)

Moon Dance

(Vampire for Hire #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  12,926 ratings  ·  1,033 reviews
Six years ago federal agent Samantha Moon was the perfect wife and mother, your typical soccer mom with the minivan and suburban home. Then the unthinkable happens, an attack that changes her life forever. And forever is a very long time for a vampire.

Now working the night shift as a private investigator, Samantha is hired by Kingsley Fulcrum to investigate the murder atte
Published November 12th 2013 by lulu.com (first published August 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Dance

·  12,926 ratings  ·  1,033 reviews

Start your review of Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1)
Montzalee Wittmann
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Moon Dance
Vampire for Hire, Book 1
By: J. R. Rain
Narrated by: Dina Pearlman
This is an audible book I really got into right away. It is a turned vampire, a mom of two, her husband finds her repulsive, and she is a PI. It is a very exciting story and gets you into the characters and I really loved it. I see why this is such a popular series.
The narrator is soooo good! The many voices are all great and perfect! I am going on to book two!
Linzi
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sookie Stackhouse Fans
Recommended to Linzi by: Amazon
Shelves: kindle
I got this cheap for my Kindle with no expectations.
After it sat on it for some months - I finally opened it to read the first 20 pages before (as I planned) deleting it.

Wow! Was I taken surprise - this is a GREAT start to a series. Fab, well-rounded main character, interesting world, actual plot, beginning, middle and end - all gripping.
2 and a half hours later and one long bath I was buying the second in the series and suggesting to my OH that we have takeaway for dinner as I planned to read.

V
Erth
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a good fast read full of crazy twists and turns. One of my favorite series. Samantha Moon is a private detective who also happens to be a vampire. This book is just the beginning where you are introduced to Samantha and told a bit about how she became a vampire and the struggles of her life as a mother and wife after this horrible attack turned her into basically a creature of the night. As the series progresses you find out a lot of cool details about her family and exactly what she is and it i ...more
Christine
Sep 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Christine by: freebie
Gary
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle, 2012
It was a strong opening entry that left me underwhelmed. Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire #1) was overall an okay story. I liked the fact the protagonist is a woman dealing with her condition. But to me, the character is too emotionally tied to her human life to be an effective creature of the paranormal world.

I was totally into the story but three things happen: she couldn’t see her reflection; she changed into a giant half woman-bat; and if someone didn’t suspect her “condition” she was telling th
Ian
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Mark Henwick's Bite Back series.
Samantha Moon's life is anything but simple. She juggles her job working as a private investigator, a failing marriage and two rambunctious kids. And she's a vampire. When she is hired by a hot shot lawyer to find the person who tried to kill him she unwittingly finds herself in the crosshairs.

And adding to her troubles, there is a vampire hunter gunning for her, her husband is having an affair, and she is fighting her own attraction to the hotshot lawyer.

Moon Dance reminds me more than just a
Sarah Ketley
Just not the book for me.

I didn't connect with the characters or story. I found it rather corny. Great if you love vampire stories but i am luke warm at best. I loved Twilight, but that was because it was the first 'vampire' book i had read. It was new and interesting.

I nearly put this down. But i am stubborn and wanted to finish it.

I also found the voice didn't quite grab me. The author has created a distinctive style - which is great! But i just didn't like it.

However, I think that much of m
Roxanne
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Very interesting story. I'm surprised it was written by a male and it had a female lead. I was very impressed and will definitely continue the series.

PS: I HATTTTTTTTTE Danny. I hope you die a fiery death in the pits of hell. (view spoiler)
Alan
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A defense attorney hires Samantha Moon, a private investigator, to find out who attempted to murder him.

The case get complicated because Samantha is a vampire.

Rain does an excellent job of creating three-dimensional characters, dazzling plot twists and dynamite dialogue.

If you enjoy paranormal mysteries, this one's for you.
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"

Own in: Samantha Moon: The First Four Vampire for Hire Novels, Plus One Novella Samantha Moon: All Four Novels

I can't believe I scored the first 4 books of this series in a freebie set. I've never heard of this series and it is an older one.

There is a lot to like in this one. However, here we have a very smart FBI agent, bitten/almost killed by a vamp (generally unknown to humans), who has a husband and 2 children. The husband turns into a raging pr*ck after initially trying to be under
T
Just found this series. Free eBook and free audible with kindle unlimited. The narrator does the Lillian Byrd series. Excellent!!
Kara
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Moon Dance” is book one of a 13 book series “Vampire for Hire” featuring Samantha Moon, that begins six years after she was attacked and turned into a vampire. Her life as wife, mother, and federal agent is irrevocably changed, and relationships with her husband and sister, the only two who know of her secret, are strained.

Samantha is a very likable and sympathetic character. She is not, though, a character in a lesfic novel. There are no steamy sex scenes in “Moon Dance”, but Samantha is a wom
Zeenat
Mar 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Synopsis: Samantha Moon was a regular everyday mother before she was attacked 6 years ago. She is now a vampire. Everyone thinks she has a rare skin disease that keeps her inside at night. Now with her marriage down the drain and her life spiraling out of control, She is hired to find out who attacked Kingsley Fulcrum. Except he may not be what he seems either . . .

Review: This is the first book in the "Vampire for Hire" series. Now, I have never written an unfavorable review yet, and I'm not s
Kami Dodson-Perry
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very nice story. I love vampire & werewolves so this book is perfect for me since it has both. Except for one typo that repeated itself throughout the entire book (save where except should be)the writing was good.

Samantha Moon (love the name) is a former FBI/Homeland Security agent turned vampire turned PI. She has a husband & 2 children. Sam struggles to maintain her family, her marriage, & her sanity. Sam was attacked & turned into a vampire 6 years ago, since then she has been on he
Aimie
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery, paranormal
Mother,wife, Private investigator... vampire. Six years ago federal agent Samantha Moon's was the perfect wife and mother, your typical soccer mom with the minivan and suburban home. Then the unthinkable happens, an attack that changes her life forever. And forever is a very longtime for a vampire. Now the world at large thinks Samantha has developed a rare skin disease, a disease which forces her to quit her day job and stay out of the light of sun. Now working the night shift as a private inve ...more
Emma James
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
****4.25 STARS****
I've had Moon Dance since 2011 on my Kindle. I got there in the end and that is what counts.

I will say I got a little whiplash with the word 'love' when there was nothing to base that on, but I really enjoyed Moon Dance, and I totally enjoyed JR's witty writing.

JR does an AWESOME job of making the reader loathe Danny. WOW! I want to say many, many things to that (#@)@(#*)@(#!!

Is something too predictable? Well, time will tell. I do hope I am wrong. But if I am right, no matte
TJ
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness, how much fun! A vampire who is also a married mom living in suburbia! After having been attacked and bitten, she must figure out how to carpool her kids (a decidedly daylight activity) keep a job and hide her new "eating" proclivities, all while chasing down bad guys! It is a new and creative twist that is both entertaining and intriguing. I'm off to find the next installment!
Shelley
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Moon Dance is the first book in the Vampire for Hire series by J.R. Rain, another new author for me. I love checking out new authors when their work becomes available to me, especially if they get fairly decent reviews from readers. This one only costs me .99cents on Amazon.com.

Our main character is Samantha Moon. Sam is 37 years old, but doesn’t look a day over 25. She is the mother of two children; Tammy and Anthony. She is married to Danny, but for a while now, Danny has turned cold toward h
 Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews
4 Star Kindle Unlimited and Free Read:
Very entertainingI was able to read this through the PRIME Lending Library and honestly hope the rest of the series is available through the PRIME Library or kindle unlimited as I find that I would love to continue the settings.

I found Detective Moon to be very entertaining. The entire tale had a comical feel to it with some dramatic undertones of life tossed in.

Among some of my favorites. Outstanding literary work. The characters are well developed, intere
Private investigator, Samantha Moon, is a vampire. She's been struggling to keep secret and her family intact since her infection. Her new case is to find out who shot a local attorney and it seems to have ties to the supernatural world, leading Sam to unexpected answers about her own situation.

I thought this was a good introduction to the series. Admittedly, the author spends more time on how Sam struggles with her vampirism and her thoughts about her future than on the actual crime/mystery asp
Jenny Whetzel
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read! I am tempted to continue the series to see who Fang is!
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Does anyone else get that weirdly happy, tingly feeling when you're a few chapters into a book by an author new to you, and you realize "Damn, this is REALLY GOOD!" and he's got MORE!! Well, that's what happened to me yesterday, as I was reading Moon Dance by J.R. Rain. I was enjoying it so much I didn't want to leave the story. It doesn't get much better for us bookworms. Contented sigh here..................ok, on to the review.

Samantha Moon is six years into life as a vampire. Although she ha
Eperdu
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Overall, I enjoyed the book. It was a freebie that actually sounded interesting so I picked it up. But, once I started reading it I had to finish it as quickly as possible. It's a fast read. The story is a modern take on vampires that are "real people", meaning they do laundry, carpool and watch Judge Judy. Apparently they also have marriage problems, squabbling kids and irrational cravings for Ding Dong's.

As I said, overall I enjoyed the book. There are a few things that have annoyed me (and in
Rebecca (Medusa's Rock Garden)
Elise Stone
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I tried this book because a blog I read pointed to the author as a successful indie who did not have a backlog of traditionally published books prior to self-publishing. At 99 cents, I wasn't risking a whole lot, even though I don't usually like paranormal stories.

I was pleasantly surprised. The main character, Samantha Moon, a.k.a. Moon Dance online, was turned into a vampire six years prior to the opening of the story. She was an investigator for the F.B.I., a wife and mother. Being a vampire
Lorraine Sears
Amie Doughty
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural
I was really not very impressed with the novel. I love urban fantasy, but Rain didn't really seem to have a feel for writing it (or mystery or romance, which are the other genre bleed-overs for this novel). The narration could have been so much stronger than it was. Sam's character wasn't impressive, nor were any of the others. The most interesting part of the novel was the internet chatting between Sam and Fang. Otherwise, the "relationships" Sam establishes move far too quickly and are, for me ...more
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
Nice introduction to this series, and what a story... poor Sam!
Erica Chilson
I'm using my personal copy for BYOB (Bring your own Book) month for Wicked Reads

About a week ago, I stumbled upon this book as a freebie. With Wicked Reads reviewing our personal copies, I thought it the best time to delve into this long-standing series. I wasn't sure what to expect- truthfully, I was surprised I'd never found this series years back, when I was a voracious Urban Fantasy fanatic.

It was a refreshing change of pace to have a mature, married mother as the heroine. Most often, this
Quenya
I love the Jim Knighthorse series so thought I would give this book a try. J.R. Rain did not disappoint. Samantha Moon is a normal person just trying to survive life even though she isn’t technically alive anymore. The character is very well written and J.R. Rain does a great job of describing a normal life while at the same time weaving a mythology of werewolves and vampires into the mix. The mythology of the paranormal is so well written it doesn’t seem out of place in the modern story or too ...more

• Twisted Sister (Vampire for Hire Kindle Worlds Novella)
  • Vampire Abduction (The Chronicles of the Immortal Council #1)
  • Moon Hunt (Vampire Crimes Special Unit Book 1)
  • Hear No Evil (The PSI Trilogy, #1)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Bound by Her Blood (Bound by Her Blood, #1)
  • Burning (Brotherhood of the Blade Trilogy, #1)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Knights Magica (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #5)
  • Wayward Son (Dog River Wolfpack, #0.5)
  • Shadows & Surrender (The Jezebel Files #3)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Vampire for Hire
  • Radiance (Brotherhood of the Blade Trilogy #3)
  • Forty, Fabulous and . . . Fae? (Midlife Mayhem, #1)
  • How to Live an Undead Lie (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #5)
  • How to Wake an Undead City (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #6)
J.R. Rain is the author of 110 novels and counting. He lives on an island in the Pacific Northwest, where he's hard at work on his next novel... and fighting off sparkly vampires.

Vampire for Hire (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Vampire Moon (Vampire for Hire, #2)
  • American Vampire (Vampire for Hire, #3)
  • Moon Child (Vampire for Hire, #4)
  • Vampire Dawn (Vampire for Hire #5)
  • Vampire Games (Vampire for Hire #6)
  • Moon Island (Vampire for Hire, #7)
  • Moon River (Vampire for Hire #8)
  • Vampire Sun (Vampire for Hire, #9)
  • Moon Dragon (Vampire for Hire, #10)
  • Vampire Requiem (Vampire for Hire, #10.5)

News & Interviews

“I surveyed the others, who had all stopped in their tracks. "So what was the plan, boys? You were all going to get a fuck in? The very definition of sloppy seconds - hell, sloppy thirds and fourths and fifths. Than what? Slit my throat? Leave me for dead? Let some school janitor find me stuffed in a dumpster? You would deny my children their mother for one night of cheap thrills?” 19 likes
“—Diary of the Undead” 1 likes