Start by marking “The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)

The Lost Hero

(The Heroes of Olympus #1)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  539,372 ratings  ·  19,099 reviews
Jason has a problem.
He doesn’t remember anything before waking up in a bus full of kids on a field trip. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper, and a best friend named Leo. They’re all students at a boarding school for “bad kids.” What did Jason do to end up here? And where is here, exactly?

Piper has a secret.
Her father has been missing for three days, ever since she
Hardcover, First Edition, 557 pages
Published October 12th 2010 by Disney-Hyperion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Hero, please sign up.
Malcolm This also took me a long time, for me it pretty much took me two weeks, and I agree, it would be better for the characters to be first person like the…moreThis also took me a long time, for me it pretty much took me two weeks, and I agree, it would be better for the characters to be first person like the first series.(less)
LaShaun It's not a requirement to read the original Percy Jackson series to understand what's going on in the Heroes of Olympus series. In fact, it seems like…moreIt's not a requirement to read the original Percy Jackson series to understand what's going on in the Heroes of Olympus series. In fact, it seems like Rick made a point to make it easier for new readers to enjoy the series.

However, there are many references to events and characters from the original series, so it's definitely helpful to read them (not watch the movies - the movies are pretty different from the books).(less)

Sasha Alsberg
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars!
Great book, I loved the Roman aspect to it and CANNOT WAIT to learn more about all the Roman stuff in the next book because I can already tell it's going to get CRAZYYYYYY!
Zoë
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Re-read in 2017 so I can FINALLY finish the rest of the series!

Original Review:
THAT ENDING WAS SOOO GOOD. I NEED THE NEXT BOOK ASAP PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
Nightshade
Ana
Nov 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Probably SPOILER ALERT, but nothing you couldn't have figured out in the first few pages.

According to Goodreads, 97% of people liked it. But the 3% will rise!

Prepare yourself for the first yet negative review of this book.

I was so excited for this book to come out. But then I read it, and was very disappointed. Just to clarify, I LOVED the original Percy Jackson series. They were amazing. This, however, was not.

The characters were all Sues:

1. Piper's perfection. "I'M SO BEAUTIFUL BUT I MUST HIDE
Jayson
(B+) 79% | Good
Notes: It treats memory as the primordial stew of personality: a precious, bubbling cistern of affection, anguish and intrigue.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
A one on one buddy read with my wonderful friend, Audrey =) Yay, finally got me a buddy =)

I liked this book more than the first few Percy books but I'm not sure I'm going to continue with either series. I will probably move on to Magnus.

I was telling a friend, I'm pretty sure what ruined Percy for me was watching the movies before reading the books. I don't even remember the second movie. I just know that while reading the books, any mention of the characters in the movie, I would cringe. I thi
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
Well, I finished re-reading all the Percy Jackson & the Olympians books, so now I'm attempting to re-read all the Heroes of Olympus books as well––mostly because I wanted to refresh my memory before The Blood of Olympus comes out. After that, no more Percy Jackson ... *sobs*

So yeah, I've now finished re-reading this one––which was a good idea, because as I read it I realized I'd forgotten like 99% of what happened in it. I also think I liked it a lot better reading it the second time, probab
Nick
Aug 28, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: favorite-authors
description

All of my friends seem to have read this series, and I want to start it so much, but I haven't read the Persy Jackson series yet.Can this series be read before Persy Jackson, or is this a prequel or a sequel. And if you have read this, any feedback?

Ahmed  Ejaz
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, full-lengths
I read almost of this book in a relax mood. But the ending! It was killer! Shocking! When I realised what actually happened and craving for more, the book ended!!😣😣 That was painful.

OVERVIEW
New characters are being introduced. Jason, Leo and Piper.
Jason has lost his memory. Finds himself in a school bus where Leo and Piper claim to be his friends. But he doesn't remember them. They get attacked by monsters but save by Annabeth and finally reach at the Camp Half-Blood.
Moreover Hera is being k
~Tina~
Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

New prophecy. New characters. New adventure. Same, EPIC world!!!

Meet our new demigods; Jason, Piper and Leo.
Jason is the mystery in this trio, see he doesn't remember anything, not even who he is. A God has stolen his memories.
Piper has a secret, a terrible one that will only cause pain and suffering, but what other choice does she have?
Leo
Darth J
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I'll be honest, I liked this Roman series less than the Greek one for a number of reasons. One was their camp wasn't nearly as interesting as Camp Half-Blood. Another was that there was more of an emphasis on pairing up characters and I'm just not a fan of romance. I think another was knowing that I wouldn't get to see the rest of the stories on the big screen since Chris Columbus ruined what would have been a successful film franchise.

My biggest gripe is that Percy isn't even in this book. Does
Claudia Ramírez
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, hilarious-humor
THE ENDING. OMFG.
Whitney Atkinson
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you have been around long enough to know my reviews for the original Percy Jackson series, you'd know that I wasn't the hugest fan. I thought it was veeeery juvenile, even for a series intended for middle schoolers, I was just very put off by the corniness of it. However, I finished that series because I wanted to read this one, which I hear is better. And it so is. I really enjoyed the three main characters. I felt that in this book, I could actually relate to them and understand their backs ...more
Cait • A Page with a View
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I thought the Percy Jackson series was fun, but I like this one a lot more! The characters are in their teens now and the tone seems like it's aimed at a slightly older audience than the previous series.

I loved all three POVs (especially the diversity)! Leo is hilarious. The story itself was really fun at the beginning but then it kind of dragged a bit when there were too many questions and just a bunch of cryptic answers. But it was still a cool idea to have a Jason build strong relationships a
may ❀

So, this is gonna be a quick review cause I forgot what happened and I don’t know how to write reviews anymore.

This is the first book in the Heroes of Olympus series which continues off from the Percy Jackson series. . . EXCEPT THIS TIME, we’re dealing with new characters.

So we got introduced to a number of new characters and a whole bunch of roman mythology ish. It’s great.

description

^^ Those are our three new demigods main characters and they’re pretty fabulous. Each of these characters are dealing with
Liam
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
( 3.7 STARS )

This was really great, it felt amazing to be back in Percy Jackson's world (despite the fact he wasn't in this one).

I loved the new characters and the new ideas within the plot! It didn't take me long to get attached to the new trio and I'm looking forward to going on more adventures with them in the future!

It was also really nice to see old characters and references to the Percy Jackson series, they were brought in nicely and worked really well!

The only thing that let this book do
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Admittedly, I was a bit late to the Percy Jackson party. I ended up loving PJ enough to purchase hardcovers for all things Riordan, the set for Heroes of Olympus being among my favorite things on my shelves (so pretty!). However, it did take me a long while (5+ years) to get around to reading these, mostly because I was unaware it had anything to do with PJ until my best friend clued me in.

This series is not just a spinoff, it's a bonafide continuation with a mix of old and new characters! I def
Stephanie
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone!
Shelves: favorites, 2010, 2011
Tears literally came to my eyes when I finished this book. I just loved it so much I wanted to cry. Riordan dives right into the story. There were a lot of questions of who everyone's parents were so Piper's godly parent surprised me but it I thought it was pretty cool. Jason's turned out to be what I expected but with a spin. And Leo's was pretty predictable but there is something very unique about him....

Riordan perfectly meshes Greek and Roman mythology. It's ingenious the way he does it. It'
Daria
Apr 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I finished this book in 8 hours of solid reading. Yes, even 400-something pages of Greek mythology take that long.

And the first thing which I should mention is that this book, and some others which have come before it and all those which will follow, have nothing going for them except for plot. Absolutely nothing. (Well, unless you count occasional hilarious one-liners on the side. I guess I should.)

Of course, we can't discuss this book without discussing the original Percy Jackson and the
Stephanie *Very Stable Genius*
Last weekend I drew a 12yr old girl named Ashley(I'm a caricature/portrait artist, for those who don't know). When you have a person in your chair, and they are staring back at you, you feel obligated to have a conversation. Over time you just get bored asking the same question over and over......and over. "what grade are you in?" "What do you do up there in Detroit?" "Is this your first visit to unnamed water park?" ect.

One thing I like to ask kids is "What is your favorite subject?" Nine times
Chloe
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
LOVED this book!
Helen 2.0
Pretty basic Rick Riordan story. 3 kids, 2 guys and 1 girl, go on an impossible quest with a tight time limit. Everywhere they land, they get into some kind of mythological trouble.
In the Lost Hero, Jason (a demigod) finds himself in Camp Half-Blood with no memories and two new demigod friends, Piper and Leo. Around the same time, Percy disappears without a trace. The three friends embark on a quest to rescue a captured Hera and fulfill a new prophecy.

My enjoyment of the Lost Hero was hindered
Vathna Dany
Definitely my new favorite series! Too bad Percy's not here but I'm looking forward to seeing him in the next book. Jason, Pipper and Leo are the best although I kind of feel bad for Leo for always being the third wheel hahaha. He's actually my favorite out of the trio. He's literally the cutest character I've ever seen.
C.G. Drews
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
THIS? I LIKE. I had a rocky start to Riordan's first Percy Jackson series. I mean it was cute and quirky buuuuut...it lacked the punch. The Lost Hero had the PUNCH. The plot was way more complex and I loved being in 3 character's heads instead of just one. And the 3rd person? LOVED IT.

I'm being converted into a Riordan fangirl. #notevensad

So we have 3 POVs: Jason, Piper, and Leo. I was wary that it'd be another Annabeth/Percy/Grover trio BUT NOPE. Their personalities were completely different.
Samantha
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
(4.5 stars) People where not joking when they said it was even better than the Percy Jackson books! Cannot wait to get book 2!
Kyoko SWords
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick Riordan, tú eres el verdadero héroe de esta historia.
Cuando empecé a leer 'El héroe perdido' tenía mucho miedo que no me gustara o que echara de menos a Percy... Para nada, amé toda la historia incluso después de adivinar el paradero de Percy como 100 páginas antes de terminar el libro, que es donde revelan su paradero. Como dije antes, todo se trata de puentes...
La forma en que el autor incluye en el universo las romanas de los dioses griegos, los enfrentamientos, las apariciones de nuevos
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Possibly more like a 3.5 because it was great to be back in the world in general, but I'm not sold on all of the new characters yet. It was so much fun to see some old faces though!
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars
Final rating - for the whole series: 5.5/5 stars

“It'll be dangerous," Nyssa warned him. "Hardship, monsters, terrible suffering. Possibly none of you will come back alive."
"Oh." Suddenly Leo didn't look so excited. Then he remembered everyone was watching. "I mean... Oh, cool! Suffering? I love suffering! Let's do this.”

Wow, i have to say, this series seemed addicting right from the start. As soon as i heard about this spin off series, i had to read it. But first, i h
Joyzi
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cutesy Fans of Riordan
Recommended to Joyzi by: Librarian at NBS
Book Review (down there somewhere)

***Thoughts Before Reading***
Just bought it today! Actually I'm gonna buy the Hunger Games paperback instead since I want my own copy of it but unfortunately it was out of stock and this one caught my eye.
__________________
***Book Review***

***Introduction***

First off let me start by saying that reading the dedication part of this book made me almost cried again. I've already written the Riordan/Haley story in my review of The Lightning Thief but in case you've n
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms (Book.Enchantress)
3.75 Golden Stars

Then:
(previously on the Last Olympian)
You should read Percy Jackson & the Olympians FIRST!

"Percy," Apollo said, "I wouldn't worry too much. The last Great Prophecy about you took almost seventy years to complete. This one may not even happen in your lifetime."

HA HA! Yeah! Sure!

Now:
(view spoiler) & that is kind of why this book is my least favourite of all Uncle Rick's books. tho it is great. but when (view spoiler)
  • A King's Ransom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #2)
  • Goliath (Leviathan, #3)
  • Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4)
  • The Siren Song (Cronus Chronicles, #2)
  • Sabotaged (The Missing, #3)
  • This Book Is Not Good for You (Secret, #3)
  • The Search for Truth (Erec Rex, #3)
  • Only the Good Spy Young (Gallagher Girls, #4)
  • The Second Siege (The Tapestry, #2)
  • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • Mines of the Minotaur (The Companions Quartet, #3)
  • Eagle Strike (Alex Rider, #4)
  • The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning, #1)
  • The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl, #7)
  • The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5)
  • Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)
  • The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues, #3)
  • Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)

The Heroes of Olympus (5 books)
  • The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2)
  • The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)
  • The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4)
  • The Blood of Olympus (The Heroes of Olympus, #5)
“Jason scratched his head. "You named him Festus? You know that in Latin, ‘festus’ means ‘happy’? You want us to ride off to save the world on Happy the Dragon?” 1959 likes
“Leo: Rainbows. Very macho.
Annabeth: Butch is our best equestrian, he gets along great with the pegasi.
Leo: Rainbows, ponies...
Butch: I'm gonna toss you off this chariot.”
1383 likes