Start by marking “Madeline” as Want to Read:

(Madeline)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  181,648 ratings  ·  1,862 reviews
Madeline is one of the best-loved characters in children's literature. Set in picturesque Paris, this tale of a brave little girl's trip to the hospital was a Caldecott Honor Book in 1940 and has as much appeal today as it did then. The combination of a spirited heroine, timelessly appealing art, cheerful humor, and rhythmic text makes Madeline a perennial favorite with ch ...more
Published 1967 by The Viking Press (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Madeline, please sign up.
Desiree Angeles In the novel, it is highly implied the Madeline as well as the rest of the girls are not orphans but rather students from a Catholic boarding school.…moreIn the novel, it is highly implied the Madeline as well as the rest of the girls are not orphans but rather students from a Catholic boarding school. However, this was not the case on the animated films. So that's why many would believe that Madeline and the other girls are living on an orphanage.(less)

·  181,648 ratings  ·  1,862 reviews

Start your review of Madeline
Alex
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the smallest ones
Shelves: baby-books
On a recent morning the grandmothers got into a contest: who can remember more of Madeline by heart. They both did very well. My wife and I are getting there. Madeline means a lot to us, partly because we grew up with it, and partly because on our kid's stomach is also a scar - his guts were like all in the wrong place or whatever - so it has Special Meaning for us.

I'm the one on the leclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
I'm
Trina (Between Chapters)
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I read this for BookTubeAThon to fulfill the "read a book older than you" challenge. I remember having and reading this book as a kid, but now I'm kind of confused about what a kid would get out of the story. I guess it's just fun with the pictures and rhymes, but I didn't see much meaning (other than copy your friends? Wish you have an illness to be one of the cool kids?). I really have no idea how to rate this as an adult.
Calista
I missed this when I was adding old books I read, so I got this book to re-read to be sure. I did read this as a child where I distinctly remember laughing over and over again at Madeline saying 'Pooh-Pooh' to the tiger at the zoo. Funny thing is, both the kids laugh at that same line to this day.

This was a Newbery Honor book which shows you how awards boards can get things wrong. This is still one of the most popular books and it should have won, which is why they gave Madeline to t
Sloan
"In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines
Lived twelve little girls in two straight lines
In two straight lines they broke their bread
And brushed their teeth and went to bed.
They left the house at half past nine
In two straight lines in rain or shine-
The smallest one was Madeline."

Who doesn't remember the first lines from the classic childrens book Madeline!? As a young girl I adored this book. I used to check it out of the library repeatedly, until finally my mother gave in and bought me the book
Manybooks
Now I only very very rarely consider an adaptation (or a translation) better than the original, but I will absolutely and gladly have to make an exception to said general rule here. For while I do and with all my heart adore Ludwig Bemelmans' expressive and detailed illustrations (that simply shine and glow with the spirit of Paris, with the spirit of both time and place, of the many specific Parisian landmarks), the same cannot, unfortunately, be said with regard to his accompanying verses, whi ...more
Manybooks
Although I absolutely adore author/illustrator Ludwig Bemelmans' expressive and detailed illustrations (that simply shine and glow with the spirit of Paris, with the spirit of both time and place), the accompanying narrative and especially the rhyme schemes are at times rather majorly choppy and anything but smooth. And truly, for me as an adult reader (who never did read of have Madeline read to me as a child), the unevenness of the rhymes and their at times almost painful artificialness, this does ten ...more
Candace Robinson
Geez, I love this book. Wonderfully illustrated, and it still gives me such feels!
Selene
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
BookTube-A-Thon Challenge #1
Read a book with yellow ok the cover.

BookTube-A-Thon Challenge #5
Read a book that is older than you.
Kathryn
I'm not quite sure what to make of Madeline, or how to rate the book. I'm quite sure my mom read this to me as a child--she gave us the most beautiful children's book selections through books she acquired at garage sales or checked out from the library--but I don't really have any warm-fuzzies attached to it so I'm guessing it was not a favorite.

It's still not a favorite. I can appreciate it, to an extent, but I am just not sure I really liked it that much. Maybe my expectations were
Sarah Sammis
Jun 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc
Madeline is one of those books that has been in print for so long that everyone seems to know the story even without necessarily having read it. When I was pregnant with Sean, Ian and I saw the 1998 film version of Madeline. While watching (and enjoying) the film we realized that we couldn't remember the story. Ian went out and bought a copy for Sean.

The story is told through a simple rhyme taken a few words at a time across pages. The bulk of the tale though is in the illustrations as Madel
Rottgrl88

This was the first book that I read when I was a kid that got me interested in the French cultural. I wanted to be just like Madeline and I wanted to visit France and learn French. This is such a nice story with classic, simple illustrations. Nothing too fancy but that is what makes it classic. I recommend for all.
Brigid
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my childhood favorites. This may be strange. Even as a child, I had a sense there was something going on between Madeline and Pepito. I felt they had a thing going on. You know, "Romantically". What the hell is wrong with me! Is that just me? They were kids and yet I could sense something. I loved the French story and the all the girls and their quirks. It's a cute story. I used to adore the cartoon too. Yeah. Sometimes I just want to take my head off, I'm so fucked up.

PLUS SHE'S
Rebecca McNutt
It's been several years since I've read this classic picture book, but I found my old copy from when I was a kid yesterday, and it's still a story that holds up. Timeless, full of wonderful paintings of Paris scenery and very creative, Madeline is unforgettable.
chan ☆
just remembering how much I absolutely adore this book

[mostly because Amal Clooney looked like Madeline @ the Royal Wedding]
Luisa Knight
I had actually never read 'Madeline' though I knew it was a classic. And I was surprised by the story - it wasn't at all what I thought it would be. I liked it!

Watch a quick kid's review of this book!

Ages: 5 - 8

Cleanliness: there is a picture of a girl in her underwear.

#geography #europe #france #paris

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of
Tricia Douglas
This is a classic, must-read book for children. When this was published back in 1939, Bemelmans presented us with a wonderful story of Paris and a little girl who is rushed to the hospital due to an attack of appendicitis. I understood little of what was going on at the age of 5 or 6 when I first read this book, but being in the hospital with flowers and toys and having everyone admire Madeline's scar, hooked me. Now I have most of Bemelmans books on my bookshelf and love each one. This was a se ...more
Haley
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2016 Reading Challenge: A book that's guaranteed to bring you joy

Given the fact that I've just unearthed this beauty from a box of mementos, this might just become the year of me rereading childhood favourites and I am perfectly okay with that.
Kellyn Roth
This is a sweet - and funny - story about a French orphan who has to have to appendix removed. (What? That's not dramatic at all ...)
Ronyell
“Madeline” is the first book created by Ludwig Bemelmans for his “Madeline” series and has won the Caldecott Honor Book Award. This book basically details Madeline’s earliest adventures from standing up bravely to a ferioucious tiger to having a bad case of appendicitis.

Ludwig Bemelmans’ writing is creative and sweet as he writes the story in a rhyming text that efficiently narrates the story. The story of how Madeline suffers from appendicitis and how Miss Clavel and the other girls
Mehsi
I may have heard about this series/this book before, however it really came to my attention yesterday, when someone I friended on Goodreads read this one. It looked fun, and right up my alley.

And did it turn out to be that way? Yes, though it wasn't because of the so-called timelessly appealing art (What was so appealing to it?), but because of the adorable story with wonderful, sweet characters. Characters like the Miss Clavel, Madeline, but also the other girls.

Especially Madeline
Steve Holden
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another classic to add to my collection of reviews. Madeline won the 1940 Caldecott Award, and it has been a mainstay on classroom shelves. A lot of people have very fond memories associated with it. It features a heroine - definitely a plus for this publication time - and is set in Paris. The story is simple and rhythmic - there's really not a lot to it. The illustrations tell most of the story, and there has always been something about this book that stands out as different for me. The ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone young or French at heart
When once asked if a book ever changed my life, I thought of "Madeline." It was in no way a profound awakening -- I was too young to even understand the lasting effects let alone remember the first time I read the book -- but it lay the seed for my fascination with all things French.

After the book came the Madeline doll (with her stitched on appendix scar) and the sequel stories and subsequent television shows. I still get nostalgic every time I see the two rows of girls in their yel
Lori
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Madeline, a student at a Paris boarding school, finds herself hospitalized for an appendectomy. The book is written in rhyme. Children can be grateful hospital stays are shorter than when the book was written. While the illustrations may not appeal to today's youngsters as much as they did to earlier eras, they are still excellent, showing what can be done with minimal colors. It's a classic 1940 Caldecott honor book which stood the test of time.
Laima
Loved it! This is a classic children's book with wonderful illustrations and rhyming verses.
I read this book many many times when I was young and to my children when they were young.
The story of French schoolgirl Madeline is timeless and includes picture references of many famous Paris landmarks including the Eiffel Tower, The Louvre and Notre Dame.

I read this book for free on We Give Books.
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
I absolutely adored the tv series growing up so reading the books it was based on was a special dose of nostalgia. The artwork is truly gorgeous, which I loved. I can clearly see why it's a timeless classic.
SarahC
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has ALWAYS been a favorite for me. I reread this book since it was on the list of top-100 picture books. Madeline is the smallest of all the girls in her boarding school, but she is also the bravest. One night she needs to get her appendix out, and her friends become jealous of the attention she gets in the hospital. I loved the pictures in this book and would pick it up just to see the beautiful paintings. I remember staying up late and looking at the pictures in this book with a flas ...more
Rebecca
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter loved this book!!!
DeB MaRtEnS
A beautiful library book, enjoyed for its illustrations and most unlikely misbehaving heroine, who was always loved and never punished after her downfalls. I understood fiction at an early age! Lol.
Madeline
Read this book as part of my Diversity Challenge, I had to read a book that was turned into a tv show.

Very cute story!
Susan
I love Madeline. It was my favourite show as a kid and having the books is truly amazing.
1001 Children's B...: January 2016: Madeline 11 44 May 01, 2017 05:33PM
Shut Up & Read: Help! Trying to find a book! 1 18 Nov 25, 2013 10:13AM
MCC Children's Li...: Picture Book #3 1 1 Feb 15, 2012 07:44PM

• Olivia
  • The Polar Express
  • Charlotte's Web
  • The Story of Ferdinand
  • Corduroy
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • Blueberries for Sal
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • Strega Nona (Strega Nona, #1)
  • Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
  • Fancy Nancy
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit (Rabbit Ears)
  • Tikki Tikki Tembo
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • The Story of Babar
  • Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
Ludwig Bemelmans was an Austrian author, an internationally known gourmand, and a writer and illustrator of children's books. He is most noted today for his Madeline books, six of which were published from 1939-1961. A seventh was discovered after his death and published posthumously in 1999.

Madeline (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Madeline's Rescue
  • Madeline Loves Animals
  • Madeline Says Merci: The Always-Be-Polite Book
  • Madeline and the Cats of Rome
  • Madeline at the White House
“In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines
Lived twelve little girls in two straight lines
In two straight lines they broke their bread
And brushed their teeth and went to bed.
They left the house at half past nine
In two straight lines in rain or shine-
The smallest one was Madeline.”
291 likes