Start by marking “Matched (Matched, #1)” as Want to Read:
Matched (Matched, #1)

Matched

(Matched #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  616,520 ratings  ·  32,394 reviews
In the Society, officials decide. Who you love. Where you work. When you die.

Cassia has always trusted their choices. It’s hardly any price to pay for a long life, the perfect job, the ideal mate. So when her best friend appears on the Matching screen, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is the one…until she sees another face flash for an instant before the screen
Published November 30th 2010 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Matched, please sign up.
Dennis Good reads will not do your homework for you. Read the book.…moreGood reads will not do your homework for you. Read the book. (less)
Amber. I honestly hated it so much. sorry not sorry. The characters annoyed me and the plot just wasn't good. give it a try if you want, you might like it.

·  616,520 ratings  ·  32,394 reviews

Start your review of Matched (Matched, #1)
Laurel
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who enjoy love triangles I guess
Recommended to Laurel by: My eyes
The fart was this? I just...the FART WAS THIS?!

That beautiful cover is mean. It drew me right in with its pretty lime green bubble bait of death. Can't help wanting to have some of my favorite color on my reading shelf. Hnnnnng. It said, "READ ME OR I WILL MURDER YOU FAMILY." And I bought it so it'd stop glaring at me in the teeny-bopper section of B&N.

I opened Matched, and snails came at me with their shells and antennae of slime and grime and chime and dime. SNAILS EVERYWHERE. I couldn't
Joe
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Official Transcripts

June 21, 2001 • AOL Chatroom AuthorTalk
ACondieHottie: Oh my gosh! Lois Lowry! You're actually online!
2timeNewbery: Sigh. Hello, Allie.
ACondieHottie: It's Ally. With a 'y'!
ACondieHottie: I can't believe u forgot! Don't u read my letters?
2timeNewbery: I've received them, yes.
ACondieHottie: Ur my favorite author! Ur books R so rad!
ACondieHottie: Especially The Giver! I love that one! It's so aweum!
ACondieHottie: Jonah's world is so neet! I want to write a book just like it!
Tatiana
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of tepid teen romance driven novels
Recommended to Tatiana by: Annalisa
As seen on The Readventurer

First thing first. I think Ally Condie owes at least half of her seven-figure paycheck to Lois Lowry. The entire dystopian world is lifted directly from Lowry's The Giver. Almost everything interesting in Matched is very familiar - the idea of highly controlled Society (the Community in The Giver), the prearranged Matches, uniform clothing, the pills suppressing emotions, predetermination of everyone's life course, euthanized elderly, regulated personal possessions,
Inge
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Wow. That was not what I expected at all. What a total snorefest. I was prepared to be blown away by the awesomeness hidden in these pages. Instead, I was so so disappointed. Such a shame, because the idea sounded amazing and I was so excited. I was expecting it to be fantastic, but unfortunately, it wasn’t. Not at all. It didn’t even come close to fantastic. Frankly, it was boring. Dull. Yawn-inducing. Every character had less personality than a paper bag. My mind kept dwelling while I
Kristi
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Matched drew me in with it's unique summary and beautiful cover, unfortunately that is where my fascination ended.

I wanted to like this book.... actually I wanted to love it, but I didn't. I had a very hard time getting though this novel. I even had to take a break from it completely, and I only kept reading because of the encouragement from others that had read it, insisting that it would get better. It didn't get a whole lot better for me.

I guess my biggest problem was that I was bored for
Emily May

Soo... basic storyline being of a society where officials decide every aspect of a person's life from the big stuff as in who they'll marry (or be 'matched' with) and when they'll die to the little stuff like what they eat, how they dress and their daily routines. The story tells how Cassia is matched to a boy but falls for another and suddenly begins to question the rules of the society, heading as she does so straight into a world of secrets and danger. Great sounding plot, am I right? Too
jessica
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
that feeling when you enjoy a book, go and check out other reviews, see it has a friend average of 2.99, and then you silently question everything about your life.

i dont know what to say other then i liked this. i thought it was fresh, original, and entertaining. i thought the plot was cool, i found myself caring about the characters, and im looking forward to the next book.

my entertainment standards must be pretty low. lol.

4 stars
Joyzi
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind The Giver and The Hunger Games rip-off
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
Book Review

Okay I promised I'll write an in depth review so here it is and I'll try to not put biggie spoilers. (I'm going to use Q & A style of reviewing this time)

What made you pick-up the book?
> I actually watched a book trailer in Youtube (the link to that vid was way down there somewhere) so and yeah I got intrigued by that video and then I go to goodreads and read reviews about it. I was a bit shock about the mix reviews, some was positive and some was negative. So because of it I
Jessica
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadult, dystopian
Everything in this book is so CLEAN! I loved that. You have to understand, I had a "thing" for utopian societies in high school. BRAVE NEW WORLD, THIS PERFECT DAY, HARRISON BERGERON . . . oh, yes! I've read them all. And what struck me about some of them was that it was supposed to be the perfect, future society, but everyone just seemed so sweaty . . . But not so in the Society. Everything is carefully sanitized. Clothes are clean, or quickly changed when they are not. The world has been ...more
karen
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
yeah.

this is one i might be too old for. a lot of people compare this to The Giver, and i get it, in that they are both these forced-utopias, but then, so is The Stepford Wives, yeah? but since i didn't like the giver, i can't really complain that this was a rip-off, because neither of them did very much for me, so i'm not going to go waving any flags around in either's defense. you are on your own, books...

but if i had to.

this one may have been slightly more entertaining to me because it was
Flannery
This book is like a long train ride. When I first got on I was like, "Oh man, look at this train! Wow! Look at all the people! *peeping out the windows*, *looking at the scenery*." Then, after about 40 pages I was like, "You know what? This scenery is kind of repetitive. I'm getting kind of bored. Maybe I'll check out the dining car." After a little bit longer, I was second-guessing my decision to take the train at all and wondering about my sanity level. "When is this train ride going to be ...more
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (SLOW)
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (SLOW) by: to all hunger games lovers !
5.5 scorching soul-matched stars....

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

"I push myself hard.The words of Thomas poems so wild and beautiful that i keep reapeating them silently as i run..Do not go gentle,do not go gentle,do not go gentle,until realization hits me :There's a reason thy didn't keep this poem.

This poem tells you to fight."

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had
Ahmad Sharabiani
Matched (Matched, #1), Ally Condie
Matched, by Ally Condie, is the first novel in the Matched trilogy. The novel is a dystopian young adult novel about a tightly-controlled society in which young people are "matched" with their life partners at the age of 17. The main character is seventeen-year-old Cassia Reyes, who is Matched with her best friend, Xander Carrow. However, when viewing the information for her Match, the picture of another young man - Ky Markham, an acquaintance outcast at her
Kimberly
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads People
Shelves: dystopia, trilogy, romance
WHAT MADE ME READ THE BOOK?
It's a trailer I watched on Youtube, and I was intrigued about it.

Matched Trailer

At first, I thought it was just another best friend-loves-best friend-loves-new guy thing. I was right, but not what I expected. It got better and better as I read more.
(Note: If you think like a writer, you'll know something that might happen.)

The plot reminded me a little of Hunger Games (perfect/imperfect Society, rebellion) but it's still great.
In the middle of the book, I just then
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Sometimes I decide that a book isn’t for me based on some silly, almost non-existent reason, and then I stubbornly stick with my decision until something forces me to reconsider. In this case, I avoided Matched like the plague because the entire plot seemed to be based on a love triangle, but I was forced to change my mind when I came into possession of the audiobook. With hours of driving ahead of me, I had no choice but to give it a chance. And I loved it.

Matched is extremely
Elena Salvatore
I actually quite enjoyed this book.
Not because it was a great book per say, but more because it was a very fast and easy read. I did reach page 167 in just a couple of hours.
description
But even tho I enjoyed it, I don't know if I'm intrested enough to keep going with this series.
I've heard that the second book is not worth reading since nothing really happens in it, so I did plan to skip it and just read some spoilery review for it but I also don't know feel like picking up the last book in the series.
I
Annalisa
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
When I heard Condie's trilogy was being pushed as the next big thing, I instantly expected this to be cheap, tantalizing but empty, and poorly written. Is my faith in the publishing industry that low? Sadly, sometimes yes. Then I met Ally. She's adorable, down-to-earth, and not at all tainted by the buzz. Ever since, I've been anxiously trying to get my hands on an ARC of Matched. I really wanted it to be as good as her publisher thinks it is.

I sat down Friday afternoon with my friend's ARC (and
evelyn
May 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: readin2010
So I didn't expect them to at all, but a little part of me was really hoping Scholastic would come to BEA with a stack of galleys for "Mockingjay" the way they did with "Catching Fire." Of course they didn't, they wouldn't want to ruin the end of the trilogy before it's released. But a girl can dream.

So, anyway, there was a big gap in my galley pile that could only be filled by some quality YA distopian fiction. When I went to the YA Editors' Buzz panel and heard about "Matched" I thought "Yes!
Charlie
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, instalove, dystopian, eh
Bitch, puhlEAz! This book is just a crappier, romance-oriented, version of the Giver, and I didn’t even like that one! It has the whole, "We are a perfect Utopian society, with order, and control. Yeah, we don’t tell you much about who we are and what we do, like ever, but none of y’all have turned into Tin-foil Hats, so just continue on with life, and do as we say. Cheerio!”

At 16 (I think it's 16, I’m too lazy to go check), there is this Matching ceremony, where teenagers are paired by the
Georgina
Dec 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Georgina by: waterstones young readers thing
Really disliked it. I found it espcially hard to believe in her love for (insert forgotten name) as she barely knew him and all that napkin stuff was really cringy. Didn't feel for the guy at all, since all he seemed to want was for somebody to feel sorry for him. I would have prefered it if she'd fallen in love with her best friend but been given a different match. The fact that the matches were so sucessful most of the time was the biggest let down for me.
I also disliked how 'deep' we were
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Jul 08, 2013 rated it did not like it

Usually I can power through a crappy book and make it to the end but man oh man I just couldn't do it with this damn book.
I feel like this entire book was just an intro for the rest of the series. A super. Long. Dragged out. Intro. The conflict was introduced but nothing ever really happened with it. All of the sudden she's in love, like what?
Just not a fan.
1.5 stars only bc I like the writing style, the content was lacking
Wendy Darling
I liked this well enough, but feel that it's a little slight in plot and structure; I also wasn't enthralled by any of the main characters. Overall, it's a quick, entertaining read, but not a particularly deep or memorable one. This is one of those rare occasions when the film might actually be better than the book.

Kelly Brigid ♡

description

I didn't have high expectation coming into this book.This turned out to be a good thing, because I can only imagine how angry I'd be if I thought this book was going to be good...it wasn't. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this book was terrible, but it just had nothing appealingat all. If you have read The Giver by Lois Lowry, then youwould know that it had a very distinct and inspirational,
Misty
3 for enjoyment, 2 for substance.

Warning: I'm not sure if this turned out to be a review or a philosophical discussion, or some freaky lovechild of the two. Bear with me...

[I'm gonna go with "freaky love child." Why not? Read more HERE.]
Nasom
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, dystopian
I tried removing this book from a particular shelf and it turns out I was deleting the book in general . How I hate this site! Thankfully I have a copy of my review someplace else ugh

Review, take two

Buddy read with the lovely Aqsa

Plot
Our main character, 17 year old cassia, who has been excited about getting matched, discovers that she’s matched with her best friend, Xander, which is shocking because matches usually happen between people that live in different cities/societies and especially
Diba
Jul 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
No... Just...no
Dannii Elle
Whilst not a bad book, by any means, I felt as though the plot for this felt a little outdated and recycled from other powerhouses in the dystopian genre. It was interesting to read of a slower-paced, and less action-based, dystopian and yet, for me, this ended up being this book's undoing. I felt like the whole book was waiting to get going. There was no grand climax or sub-plots and the aspects that initially held my interest ended up being overshadowed by the predictable emergence of a love ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
May 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopia, sci-fi

If I may be politely honest, I would have to say that this series is one of the dystopians series I liked the least. The concept of the society where everything is controlled, measured and dictated by the government is, I think a good idea. Even the main conflict, when Cassia's chip showed her the face of Ky abruptly and quickly when Xander has already been determined to be her match is fascinating and intriguing and these elements would have already been really useful tools to make a really
Eva
Jun 07, 2017 marked it as my-teenage-years
12/8/2019

It's been almost a year since I last edited this review and my opinions have changed quite a lot as my reading tastes. After reading the second every feeling that I had about this book collapsed.

__________________________________________
This is my first review so consequently I feel a little anxious.This book was fascinating.I enjoyed every little part of it.I have read quite a few dystopian books but this world-building intrigued me.

The characters were interesting and I really enjoyed
Nora

Once upon a time,
There was a girl who wandered through the stacks until she saw the word "Matched" printed on a cover in lime,
With a squeal she snatched it down,
Admiring the model's gown,
In delight she read the back,
And Hallelujah - nothing did the description lack,
Love, rebellion and more,
Surely reading this wouldn't be a chore,
So she started out on page one,
And immediately she wanted to shoot it with a gun,
But bravely she read on,
All the while thinking "what a con",
The MC had a contrived love
Xander or Ky? 55 153 Dec 19, 2019 07:34PM

• The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • Uglies (Uglies, #1)
  • Delirium (Delirium, #1)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • The Giver (The Giver, #1)
  • If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)
  • Paper Towns
  • Legend (Legend, #1)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
  • The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)
Ally Condie is a former high school English teacher who lives with her husband, three sons and one daughter outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. She loves reading, running, eating, and listening to her husband play guitar.

Matched (3 books)
  • Crossed (Matched, #2)
  • Reached (Matched, #3)
“Growing apart doesn't change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I'm glad for that.” 3784 likes
“Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs.” 1896 likes