Start by marking “The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion” as Want to Read:
The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion

The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion

In a radical break with the past, information now flows like water, and we must learn how to tap into its stream. Individuals and companies can no longer rely on the stocks of knowledge that they've carefully built up and stored away. Information now flows like water, and we must learn how to tap into the stream. But many of us remain stuck in old practices--practices that ...more
Published April 13th 2010 by Basic Books (AZ)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Pull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Pull

Doug
Feb 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business, nonfiction
While reading this book, I was already mentally categorizing this book as a two star, 'it would have been an interesting article in The Atlantic or the New Yorker but is a little long as a book' book, but then I stumbled on this passage:

Now, some might find this an elitist view of work. Of course, creative marketing people or talented software engineers or highly trained chemists can be passionate about their work. But what about janitors, truck drivers, or assembly-line workers? How will they
Dennis Fischman
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
If you're a manager--particularly a corporate manager--particularly a manager in a top-down, siloed, "do it the way we've always done it" corporation, then The Power of Pull may be for you. It will tell you:

1. People need to learn new information and make new contacts all the time, because the challenges they will face in the future are unpredictable. You never know what it is that you will need to know, or who will be your most valuable collaborator. Seek serendipity.

2. Organizations need to cr
Bill
May 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, career
The Power of Pull succeeded in getting me to think about the hypothesis - that current business is trending away from top-down effectiveness toward bottom-up, using new networks of relationships and communication. But they didn't convince me that they have a unified theory that allows individuals and institutions to succeed in this new scheme.

The argument is built anecdote by anecdote. I don't disagree that there is a paradigm shift occurring. But a collection of anecdotes does not a paradigm ma
Jimt43
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Another in a very long line of books in which the author has about 2 chapters worth of book and then is forced (or wants) to extend it to book length. The information in here would make a great blog or two, but not a book... give me a break! The little information contained here (I got bored and quit reading after not too long) DID give me pause and I am in the process of rethinking my approach to social media for IP2Biz.
David Hood
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in creating something or changing something you should read this book. One of the best books I've read in the last five years. Fantastic. Also follow @jhagel on twitter.
David Reno
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book. It is a high-level business book that looks at some of the technological/business environments that have fostered success. The "Power of Pull" is about how businesses must operate in our new environment. In the past, the power of push based initiatives dominated corporate decision makeing. The authors suggest that push-based decisions require accurate foresight to be effective, as companies would forecast demand and set production in motion to meet it. In their new suggested model, p ...more
Elizabeth Licata
May 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
I was expecting this book to be about technology and/or the future of the digital age. This book is not like that at all. The Power of Pull is rather about how to use the internet, social media and conferences to learn new things and influence others. Fundamentally, that’s not a bad thing to learn. Unfortunately, I got next to nothing from The Power of Pull.

There were two main problems I had with The Power of Pull. The first is simply that I am not the target audience. As far as I can tell, The
Bob
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
There is an overall theme to this book that is important, critical even, to large, established businesses that are struggling to increase their relevance and improve innovation. While the ideas in the book may be clear to those of us who, as described by John Hagel, live on or near the edge; it is not clear to mainstream businesses. This may sadden some of us given that the Web is now 25 years old, but it remains true. I choose to believe the negative reviews of this book overlook this fact and ...more
Kerry
Feb 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: project, give-away
Lost me in the beginning when they started using terms that they hadn't yet defined.
Then once I understood, the extent to persuade me that this "Big Shift" was inevitable involved stating that 'this big shift is inevitable.' I'm sure there was more here than I found. I definitely found islands of clarity but the shipwreck of a start made it hard for me to master the tumultuous seas. There were things I agreed with but as the whole book was about this one thesis, given they left me confused abou
Lloyd Fassett
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"For the first time in history we are dealing with a technology that shows no sign of stabilization in terms of price / performance ratio improvement. In fact, the exponential rate of improvement of the three building blocks of digital technology - processing, storage, and transport - is likey to conintue for an indefinite period of time." pg 44.

And I say, rumininate on the idea of how this message found you.
Phillip
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Why business is different now than it was 20 years ago and what it means to you.
May Ling
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I gave this 4 because it's fairly well written and for its time (2010) it was pretty innovative in way of thinking. I'm not sure I complete agree, but I think the more important thing for 2010 is what he identifies.

Hagel has a lot of very interesting things to say about how to grow in a way that is quite different from past methods he calls push. He recognizes that the existing system - of which we are very much still working through - is one that consolidates power in a particular way.

I know th
J  Brown
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: business-popular
The Power of Pull is a good book. There are some perceived truths that emerge throughout this book that I can see playing out in real life. So, from that perspective I find the book highly insightful. With that being said it does take courage to implement some of these practices. If I sound vague, I don't mean to be. I enjoyed this book and it has helped me on my journey.
Aaron
Aug 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Utter crap. Most of it is talking about nothing implying it will eventually talk about something. It even repeatedly reuses verbatim its own previous paragraphs.
Camia Young
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Insightful into how social network work, and affirming that it is a new age we are moving into that privileges sharing knowledge and collaboration over competition and winning.
Denise deSilva
Dec 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
So boring
Todd Sattersten
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Hagel and his cohorts at Deloitte's Center For the Edge, a research center based in Silicon Valley, have being doing research to understand what they call The Big Shift. Their work has uncovered a variety of insights, but the most telling is the reduced profitability of today's corporations versus their counterparts forty years ago. We talk about how information, networks, and execution are changing the way individuals and institutions compete.

From the book:

"Pull is a very different approach, on
Stephen Redwood
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Compared to most popular business books, this is an above average read. A simple model lies at the heart of it (think in terms of stocks and flows, gain Access to the worlds you want to be part of, Attract interest and Achieve one's potential), but the writers avoid the common plague of repeating the core proposition ad nauseum and, instead, have enough interesting insights (like their thoughts on Creation Spaces and Collaboration Curves) which mostly justifies the length. There are also some go ...more
Peter
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Be involved in communities. Create communities. The whole is greater than its parts. When you're part of something, you can do more. You can't lead without a community to lead. If you're not part of a community, you're missing a lot, and you could be out of business. "Pull" is not Customer-Centered product development. It's a new concept. It's about providing for a community, and by giving to that community and providing a mechanism for them to use and give back, you can get back in spades. I'm ...more
Peter House
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This book has a lot to say about how to foster serendipity and creativity. In its best moments it pulls from creative sources like surfing and World of Warcraft. In its less creative moments in falls back on the rather rote narratives of Silicon Valley.

The book is valuable. It shares a number of keen observations about how things are changing, speculates on possible outcomes, and offers suggestions on how to take advantage of those changes.

The book falls short in meeting its potential because,
Andrew Gillette
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is all about a way to look at post industrial economies differently. Modern economics uses a push approach whereby the market tells consumers what they should want. There is some review of the more nuanced business/economic theory as to what is and what could be; for example there is much talk about the Business Administration theory of "the experience curve," along with behavioral models and "scientific management" or *taylorism principles.

Contrasting the above, the book emphasizes to
Roger K.
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book based on Chris Dancy's recommendation and I am so glad I did. I recommend it to anyone trying to understand how to influence in a world where traditional techniques don't work well.

It focuses on how to make things happen in a world where hierarchies are losing their power. The authors emphasize a few key points in the book, with numerous, vivid examples:

- Focus on flows of knowledge, not stores
- Value primarily arises from the edges of systems, not the core (what Gladwell refers
Pierre
Aug 12, 2011 rated it liked it
The executive summary and a handful of chapters were very thoughtful and convincing. Overall a good book with very useful practical advice and framing devices to help comprehend and manage the massive changes taking place as a result of the digital-communications age taking firm root in our daily and professional lives. Some chapters and examples, however, were a little light on substance (applied examples) and perhaps a little too Silicon Valley / California-based. I also found it difficult to ...more
Paul W
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
As value is increasingly drive by information flows, stocks of knowledge have a rapidly depreciating value.
The world of Push was determined by forecasting needs and designing systems and standardised processes to respond to those needs.
The world of Pull is determined by three levers - Access, Attract and Achieve. Finding and accessing people and resources; attracting people and resources that are relevant and valuable; and using those resources to achieve.
This book co-authored by John Hagel, co
Vishnupriya Sharma
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
It would be hard to give this more than 3.5, but, I'm unable to give it on goodreads. The author provides a framework for tapping the network and connecting with the proverbial 'right people'.

This book is not a "10 step guide" and does not lay out the things to do to achieve what he is doing. It is only a set of ideas that the author has connected in order to solve problems. If one has to apply these, one has to figure out how by oneself. I find the ideas quite fascinating and carrying high-ene
Dave
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm having a really tough time staying focused on this book. As other reviewers have commented, there doesn't seem to be enough "meat" and the last few "Idea Books" that I've read have gone by really fast, with me coming back excited for more every time I get some free reading time. This one actually has been putting me to sleep...I think I've read the same page 4 times now. The slog is getting to be too much for me and I have a stack of other far more interesting books waiting for me on my "To ...more
Joao Cerdeira
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it
The book have a excellent subject well explained. The changing in the way we work is coming and for the better I think.

But, 250 pages to explain this simple subject is to much ... so, the authors repeat the same sentences over and over again. The same book smaller would be a great book.

But the book is very good !!!
Ryan Price
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read half of this (audio) book in one sitting - a very compelling look at how new ideas are formed. Of particular interest to me are the passages about creating spaces with a high amount of pull. I am involved in several movements to that end.

The interesting part for me were their ideas about how innovation happens in communities.
Zane Safrit
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a dazzling book. I’m dazzled at every page in how crisply and concisely the 3 waves of this Big Shift are described, case studies and profiles are shared, data is presented.
I have 6 pages of notes from the book’s first 60-70 pages. Very few books have inspired that engagement.

I'm interviewing John Hagel, one of the co-authors. You can listen here: http://bit.ly/c1MOOC
John George
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A very good book and reflect our times. Some of this might be common sense and already folks practicing the same. Overall enjoyed reading this and reinforced my beliefs on this subject that the trajectory is right.

• The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing
  • Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World
  • Stalking the Divine
  • Open Leadership
  • The Art of Immersion: How the Digital Generation Is Remaking Hollywood, Madison Avenue, and the Way We Tell Stories
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • Nomad: A Global Approach to Interior Style
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • Cognitive Surplus: Creativity and Generosity in a Connected Age
  • Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
  • Curation Nation: How to Win in a World Where Consumers Are Creators
  • A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change
  • The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us about Innovation
  • Net Smart: How to Thrive Online
  • I Live in the Future & Here's How It Works: Why Your World, Work, and Brain Are Being Creatively Disrupted
  • The New Social Learning: A Guide to Transforming Organizations Through Social Media
“Institutions designed for push cannot easily accommodate pull.” 3 likes