Start by marking “The Chill of Night (McCabe & Savage Thriller, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Chill of Night (McCabe & Savage Thriller, #2)

The Chill of Night

(McCabe & Savage Thriller #2)

Glamorous young Portland attorney Lainie Goff thought she had it all—brains, beauty, and a fast-track to a partnership in a top-ranked firm that was going to make her rich. But then one cold winter night she pushed things too far, and her naked frozen body is found in the sub-zero temperatures at the end of the Portland Fish Pier.

The only witness to the crime: a mentally d
Published June 22nd 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Chill of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chill of Night

Start your review of The Chill of Night (McCabe & Savage Thriller, #2)
Jenny
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
The Chill of Night is book two of McCabe and Savage series by James Hayman. The latest murder case of Detective Sergeant Michael McCabe and Detective Margaret Savage the murder of Lainie Goff who was founded in the boot of her a car and from the start it was causing headaches for them. More Detective Sergeant Michael McCabe and Detective Margaret Savage delve into this case more complicated it became for them. The readers of The Chill of Night will continue to follow the twist and turns in Detec ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Even though this book is the second book in the Detective Michael McCabe series, it read also as a stand alone. It is a murder mystery novel with believable characters and spine tingling suspense. A story of a young up and coming lawyer, Lainie Goff, is killed and stuffed in the trunk of her car naked and found frozen. There is a witness to this murder, who turns up missing. Does the killer have this person?? That is what McCabe and Detective Margaret (Maggie) Savage have to figure out before th ...more
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good police procedural from James Hayman. I enjoyed the mystery plot. I think those who read this type of story will guess "who did it" although there are a couple of good red herrings.

I did grow tired of McCabe's fixation with his ex-wife. And for the most part, his daughter Casey and his girlfriend Kyra were mostly absent. The focus is the case not his personal life.

Still I enjoyed reading this one and hope to get my hands on the next in the series.

Noelle Murphy
Sep 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Total dude book. Characters were basically defined by how good looking they were or sexual they acted. Some of the descriptions used to describe the victims were, in my opinion, another physical attack based on physical appearance. Nope. No more James Hayman. I'll leave those to men who are completely insecure.
Valerie
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first McCabe and Savage thriller I have read by James Hayman. I have the first one ready to read within the the next month or so. I had not been aware of this series until sometime the last month. They all take place in Portland, Maine and this particular one I have just finished reading is an engrossing story of a young female lawyer working at one of the most prestigious law firms in Portland. On the night of December 23rd, Lainie Goff is getting ready to leave on a two week vacati ...more
Keith Curran
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Amazing!

I have now read books One and Two, and if One was wonderful, Two was glorious. This author is a real find. No, that's a tad condescending. I will be forever grateful to myself for finding this author; not hidden away, but in no way highlighted or calling attention to himself. Just "The luck of the Kindle!" But, quite seriously, this man is WAY up there, with the best of the best, the Sherlock Holmes books, the Woman With The Dragon Tattoo books, John Irving, the best of John G
Crystal
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Why I read this: I received a copy of this from the author through Pump Up Your Book Promotion. I jumped at the chance to review The Chill of the Night because I reviewed The Cutting by James Hayman last year, which was his first novel and I loved it. You can find the review here.

How is the novel driven: The Chill of the Night is mostly plot-driven but there is more character development of McCabe in this one as well as there was in the first one. I love getting to know McCabe more and seeing ho
Bridget
Jul 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Abby is a paranoid schizophrenic who is currently on medication. When she sees a naked man strike a woman with a knife, she takes off to the police station. The cops can't help but ask themselves if it really happened or if the witness is delusional. Having a mentally ill person as a witness will hinder the decision of a jury, so they have her carted off to the hospital.

Determined to solve this case, Detective McCabe tries to find the killer while keeping an eye on Abby. She may be crazy but she
Tom Tischler
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Young Portland attorney Lainie Goff had it all - brains, beauty, and a fast track to
a partnership in a top ranked firm. But one night she pushed things to far and her
naked frozen body was found at the end of the Portland Fish Pier. The only witness
is a mentally disturbed young woman named Abby Quinn who disappears the same
night. With the discovery of Lainie's body and the disappearance of Abby, Portland
detective Michael McCabe finds himself on then trail of a clever killer. This is book
two i
Karen
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the McCabe/Savage series, and....wow! In the first one the writing seemed slightly stilted and unimaginative, though the story was very good. Whether it is just me or my perception...this book gave me none of those kinds of feelings. Riveting, chilling, edge of my seat, hard to put down....in short, 5 stars!
Pat
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I didn't think this was a good as the previous book. It could be that I was a bit distracted with other things but...

There was supposed to be a twist but I guessed it heaps early so the red herrings didn't play for me. Overall well written police procedural with no outstanding features, a plot that wasn't particularly original but still an enjoyable bit of escapism.
Black Butterfly
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
LAINE HAD A HORRIBLE CHILDHOOD, HER STEPFATHER SHOULD HAVE BEEN DRAWN & QUARTERED ALONG WITH HER MOTHER. . . SHE KNEW . . .HAD TO. MCCABE’S EX-WIFE IS A REAL COLDHEARTED B*TCH. OUCH! ;)
Shelli
A friend told me about a new audiobook website and this was the first book I tried. I was very pleasantly surprised. I like police driven murder mysteries and have some favorites so am always a little worried I'll be disappointed. Not so. I loved all the little "tidbits" of information that added a lot of "extra" to this kind of story. This had a good narrator and a very good and interesting mystery. It seemed everyone was truly a suspect but I didn't figure it out until the end. I both liked an ...more
Debbie Oxier
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one started a little slow but soon picked up steam. I really enjoyed it, am enjoying the series. Even though I guessed the killer about half way through it was fun watching the detectives do their work and ferret out the guilty party. I especially liked having Abby, a known schizophrenic, be a witness to the crime and ending up being the killer's next target. While no jury would believe her testimony, its obvious what she saw when she describes exactly what happened to the victim. McCabe kn ...more
Zain
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling

I really enjoyed this book. The mystery was solved by sneaking up on you. There were so many twists and turns that you don’t see it coming.
Cheryl
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Detective Michael McCabe receives a phone call to come down to the pier. A woman’s body has been found in the trunk of an abandoned car. The woman is attorney Lainie Goff. Detective McCabe knows the first several hours are critical in a murder case. That is why McCabe jumps into his investigation right away.

McCabe comes upon one witness but there is just one problem…she is considered crazy. Her name is Abby Quinn. As McCabe digs into who Lainie was, he enters a dark world. Also can he figure ou
Diane Dachota
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
My first book by Hayman and his detective McCabe series. Lainie Goff is a beautiful young lawyer in Portland, Maine. Right before the Christmas holiday, Laine is waiting to hear about being made a partner in her law firm. Since she is sleeping with the much older and wealthy partner who is on the decision committee, she feels sure she will get it.

Meanwhile, Detective McCabe is dealing with an artist girlfriend who is scared to commit, a teenage daughter and a ex-wife with an agenda, when he rec
Up All Night Book Addict
I started this series with the first book, The Cutting. I really enjoyed it. So, naturally, it is to be expected that I enjoy this too. Between James Hayman and Joe Conlan, I may turn in to a huge fan of serial killer themed thrillers! These books keep me on the edge of my seat! It's like reading from a script of Criminal Minds.

First, you don't necessarily need to read the first book to read this one. They are two separate stories. The only reason I would suggest reading the first one is to get
 Reading Reindeer
This is the second in James Hayman's mystery series set in Portland, Maine and environs. Detective Sergeant McCabe, a transplant from the NYPD following an ugly, unexpected, divorce, and Maine native Detective Maggie Savage, are the continuing protagonists--investigators for the Crimes Against Persons Division of the Portland Police Department, who seemingly never sleep.

I raced through this novel in two rapid sittings, totally engrossed. The killer sought is one very perverted Individual, and I
Jenifer Mohammed
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-boiled
As McCabe and Savage try to figure out who killed and stuffed a beautiful lawyer in the trunk of her car, they encounter a host of potential killers and a victim who becomes more sympathetic, the more they learn about her past. Complicating the situation is the need to search for a schizophrenic witness who saw the murder and wasn't first believed by the police even as the killer stalks her. Things get even crazier as they find evidence of a sexual sadist and need to track him down as well. This ...more
Wilde Sky
A female attorney is murdered and the only witness is a disturbed woman.

The basic story is a good idea, but the execution is poor – in particular the writing is laboured / repetitive (a good edit removing 50 odd pages could have made it a better book). The only character that felt real was Abby, the ‘schizophrenic’.

I found the killer to be obvious about half way through, but the book did pick up from around page 300.

I rated it 3 stars but it was (in my opinion) really a 2.5.
Michael J. Jahnke
Great Ending

For some reason I always think book 2 of any series does not have the holding power of book 1. Sadly, this book lived up to that. The story tended to drag a bit in the middle. Putting this book down was not difficult. Mr. Hayman saved the book with its ending. Not so much for plot, that was almost Jessica Fletcher predictable. The quality of the writing returned to book 1 level.
Lori
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
crime series

I love that I have been able to find a crime series that keeps my attention. I enjoy the characters and the plot and pacing of the story.
Lynn
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
ENJOYING this 2nd in the McCabe & Savage Mystery series !
Annette
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by James Hayman.

It's Christmas and Attorney Lainey (Elaine) Goff is ready for her vacation trip to Aruba but first, she has to receive a phone call - the one that tells her the managing partner is coming to the office - to tell her she will receive the partnership offer. All those many time in his office are going to pay off and she will be able to justify the purchase of her new BMW or the lavish vacation trip. Except she doesn't make the flight; instead her body is foun
Charlene
A pretty good sequel to the debut book. One complaint I have about both books is the frequent use of "alright" throughout; I'm still of the school loyal to the traditional "all right," and the slang term (or whatever it is called) really bothers me!

There was one person in this story who would have been included in the course of the investigation, and I wonder why he was omitted.

It happens to be very cold with miserable weather as I've been reading this book. If you have read the first in the ser
N.W. Moors
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Lainie Goff's an up-and-coming attorney when her frozen body is found in the trunk of a car down on a wharf off Commercial Street. Mike McCabe and Maggie Savage are assigned to find the murderer.
I've been skipping around through Mr. Hayman's series, and this one was probably the one I've liked the least. I knew who the murderer was about halfway through the book, and found the story fairly predictable. I do always like the Portland locations and recognized Hart Island as Peak's Island out in Cas
Cara
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the first book of this series and loved it. The second is even better. I love the chemistry between McCabe and Savage. McCabe has the usual back story of most detectives, messy divorce, grown daughter. Trying to keep his life together. Frozen corpse discovered in the boot of a car. Just gets better from there. A must read if you are into mysteries and thrillers. Even though this is the second book, it stands alone. Not necessary to read them all or in any order.
E
Hayman’s writing style is sometimes a bit clichéd, and I have unanswered questions at the end of the book (eg, why does this murderer kill—why that choice of weapon—how does the murderer turn into that person to begin with?). Nonetheless, I do like this series with its Portland, Maine, setting and interesting batch of characters. In this book, McCabe’s introspections related to his old trauma, his ex-wife, and his current partner, Kyra, provide complexity to his character that I find appealing.
Sathyan Shivaram
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: box-2
A very good suspense thriller. Sans background music or facial expressions, it's a wonder that the author maintains to portray different nature of conversations and plant suspicion in reader's mind wherever necessary. There are portions of the book where you can't stop reading at all. Also, there are few portions where the story feels like a drag as it dwells into too much unnecessary specifics/ details. Pruning them would have made the book much more crisp.
Nevertheless, a very good read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Girl in the Motel (Joe Court Book 1)
  • Almost Midnight (Mike Bowditch, #10)
  • Deadly Secrets
  • City Of Fire (Lena Gamble, #1)
  • Deadly Waters (Detective Jane Phillips Book 2)
  • The House In The Woods (Atticus Priest Mystery #1)
  • A Killing at the Creek (Ozarks Mysteries, #2)
  • Left To Die (An Adele Sharp Mystery—Book One)
  • Hidden
  • Give Us This Day (Brooke Burrell #1)
  • The Last Drop of Blood (Katie Maguire #11)
  • Deadly Silence (Detective Jane Phillips, #1)
  • The Broken King (Bull Mountain #0.5)
  • Mustang Sally (Dead Cold Mystery #20)
  • Divine Fury (Enzo Lee Mystery, #2)
  • Dead Man's Prayer (DI Frank Farrell, #1)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • Das Dorf der Mörder (Sanela Beara, #1)
Like one of the heroes of my thrillers, Detective Sergeant Mike McCabe, I’m a native New Yorker. McCabe was born in the Bronx. I was born in Brooklyn. And we both grew up and spent much of our working lives in the New York City before eventually moving to Portland, Maine. However that’s where the similarities end.

McCabe, after spending a couple of years at NYU Film School, dropped out and decided

McCabe & Savage Thriller (6 books)
  • The Cutting (McCabe & Savage Thriller, #1)
  • Darkness First (McCabe & Savage Thriller, #3)
  • The Girl in the Glass  (McCabe & Savage Thriller #4)
  • The Girl on the Bridge (McCabe & Savage Thriller #5)
  • A Fatal Obsession: A McCabe and Savage Thriller (McCabe and Savage Thrillers Book 6)