Start by marking “The Doom of the Griffiths” as Want to Read:
The Doom of the Griffiths

The Doom of the Griffiths

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Work from the English novelist and short story writer, whose writings can be seen as critiques of Victorian era attitudes, particularly those toward women, with complex narratives and dynamic women characters.
Published May 4th 2007 by Dodo Press (first published 1858)

To ask other readers questions about The Doom of the Griffiths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doom of the Griffiths

Diana Long
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cursed family set in Wales, Gothc,melodramatic and so very tragic. Another wonderfully written tale by Mrs. Gaskill. I get the sense of a myth or legend as the inspiration for this work but it's only conjecture on my part. A short story and well worth reading.
Toffeeapple
It confused me, since I was brought up on the story of Owain Glyndwr. I was not entirely comfortable with this story.
sabisteb aka callisto
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
In dieser Kurzgeschichte von 1858 erzählt Elizabeth Gaskell, die Geschichte der vorletzten und letzten Generation, die unter den Folgen eines Fluchs leidet, mit den Owain Glyndŵr (letzte Fürst von Wales, Aufständischer gegen die Herrschaft der Engländer über Wales, heute noch der walisische Nationalheld) Rhys ap Gryfydd, einen Freund, belegt hatte, weil er ihn an die Engländer verraten hat.
„'I doom thee to live, because I know thou wilt pray for death. Thou shalt live on beyond the natural term
Manny
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. It's my first experience in reading Gaskel. This work is a short story and quite engaging, though a little heavy handed in places. It was written in the middle of the 19th century, prior to the polish that short stories developed subsequently. But one can easily place one's self in the action and identify with the characters. I enjoyed it.
Johanna Haas
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is more of an outline of a book than a finished book. The events are there, but not the emotions.
Sneha
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
It was an interesting read! I did not really love any of the characters even though I felt sorry for Owen. The ending was melancholy
Lee
Sep 10, 2015
Divad
Oct 22, 2015
Barbara Baldock
rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2015
Elizabeth Suffolk
Dec 11, 2012
Katie Webb
Aug 16, 2013
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, née Stevenson (29 September 1810 – 12 November 1865), often referred to simply as Mrs. Gaskell, was an English novelist and short story writer during the Victorian era. She is perhaps best known for her biography of Charlotte Brontë. Her novels offer a detailed portrait of the lives of many strata of society, including the very poor, and as such are of interest to socia ...more