Start by marking “This Borrowed Earth: Lessons from the Fifteen Worst Environmental Disasters around the World” as Want to Read:

Over the last century mankind has irrevocably damaged the environment through the unscrupulous greed of big business and our own willful ignorance. Here are the strikingly poignant accounts of disasters whose names live in infamy: Chernobyl, Bhopal, Exxon Valdez, Three Mile Island, Love Canal, Minamata and others. And with these, the extraordinary and inspirational stories ...more
Published February 2nd 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about This Borrowed Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Borrowed Earth

Emily
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm slowly working my way through this book. It's a lot to digest.

Of the seven disasters I've read about so far, however, only one is because they truly did not understand the ramifications and potential consequences of what was happening.

The vast majority were the result either of a warning being ignored because someone assumed the warning mechanisms were malfunctioning, or more often, some lying bastard was trying to cut corners and cover it up.

The moral I'm taking away from this book is not t
Ann-Marie
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Examines some of the worst environmental disasters perpetrated by humankind. The causes are staggering in their idiocy and short-sightedness. The denials coming from those responsible are sickening. The cover-ups of governments and regulatory bodies is criminal. Dedicated victims and actvists fight unbelievable battles for compensation and the admission of culpability by those who don't care and relinquish responsibility, morality and ethics in favour of the bottom line.
However, the efforts of l
Koa
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This book made me ashamed to be a human (nothing new on that front) and also made me want to make the world suck less. A great summary of some of the worst environmental disasters caused by people. It might be a bit redundant if you are already familiar with these events. I recommend listening to Driving, Driving, Driving by Kimya Dawson before/during/after reading, a great song that really reflects the feelings in this book.
Skye
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Certainly not a cheering read, but one that's important nonetheless. Although Hernan specifies these are environmental disasters, he tends to focus much more on the humans affected, which I hadn't expected.
Karen Hood
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was so good! There were ups and downs in it and kept me on the edge of my seat. I love how so many of these disasters are now quietly ignored and never referred to when new disasters strike.
Alex Khadra
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teens, Adults, Enviormentalists
A great book acknowledging the mistakes that us humans cause to this earth. Great read!
Pammy
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
If everyone read this book then maybe the world would be better/cleaner.
Jen
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think I hurt my neck from shaking my head so much while I read this book. So much senseless destruction in the name of profit and greed. Each chapter brings both insight and heartbreak.
Cloay
Jul 26, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: science
Available in SG NLB 363.7(MP
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book, very interesting, but a tad depressing. A good wake up call/reality check though. Got me all ticked off haha
Dana