Start by marking “Good Night, Gorilla” as Want to Read:
Good Night, Gorilla

Good Night, Gorilla

A must-have board book for all babies.

Good night, Gorilla.
Good night, Elephant.

It's bedtime at the zoo, and all the animals are going to sleep. Or are they? Who's that short, furry guy with the key in his hand and the mischievous grin?

Good night, Giraffe.
Good night, Hyena.

Sneak along behind the zookeeper's back, and see who gets the last laugh in this riotous good-night
Board Book, 32 pages
Published February 21st 1996 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Good Night, Gorilla, please sign up.
Jaden It is a good book for young children, I grew up reading this book and it was always my favorite.…moreIt is a good book for young children, I grew up reading this book and it was always my favorite. (less)

Start your review of Good Night, Gorilla
Andrea
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
Well, after reading this book literally every night (and by literally here I mean literally in the old true sense, i.e. every single night) for a year, I will say that GOOD NIGHT, GORILLA holds up. The message of solidarity and collective action in the service of dismantling the zoo-industrial complex is a timeless one (or, rather, a deeply timely one). I find the moment where all the animals, during their occupation of the zookeepers' residence, kindly bid goodnight to their oppressors, to be a ...more
Chak
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: new parents
Recommended to Chak by: Pam
Shelves: kid
Good Night, Gorilla is the quintessential "first book" for very young children (6 months through to approximately 3 years). It has very few words (only "good," "night," "gorilla," "dear," "zoo" and the names of the five other animals in the book)and is brief.

Even read as merely a story, the book is engaging for a very young child, thanks to the bright colors, silly story line and playful illustrations. Where the book really shines however, is in all that you can do with it. You can start asking
Matt
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book of very few words, a wily gorilla snatches the keys off the zookeepers belt and releases animals as they are told ‘good night’. Soon, the animals come to join the zookeeper at his house and it is only when Mrs. Zookeeper marches them back to the zoo that they stay put. Well, at least some of them. Neo laughed at this book, but was a little put out that there were few words. I thought it better, as we could create our own story! All in all, he wants to get to the zoo as soon as ...more
Ronyell
Gorilla

Now, I have a confession to make: I have often seen the book “Good Night, Gorilla” by Peggy Rathmann around many times when I was little and yet, I had never bothered to pick up the book despite the adorable looking cover. It was not until years later (way into my adulthood) that I finally got the chance to pick up this book and I have to say that I cannot believe that I waited this long to pick up this charming little picture book!

The story starts off with a zookeeper saying goodnight to a
Tracy
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Age 1) I loved this book even before Asher did. It has a really cute, funny premise, and almost no text. Asher really enjoyed the part when all the animals say "good night" and I really enjoyed the nice little visual touches (like looking for the balloon float away on each page, the toys in the animal cages, the people in the window watching the animals march across the yard).
jenna
Apr 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: little chickens
Shelves: quinlan
Q LOVES this book! Why? I don't really know. But we must read it over and over. If we start a different book, she'll tolerate that for a bit, but then... she starts pointing to Good Night, Gorilla... "that! that!" It's the first book we read in the morning, and the last book we read before bedtime.

It is an awfully cute board book, and I appreciate the stereotype of the zookeeper's wife as the person who really gets things done. On a side note, how can anyone resist a book with a secondary plot
Kathryn
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-my-boys
This is an excellent early reader book, mainly to teach some basic animal names. The story is adorable and that is not a word I tend to use. I love reading it aloud and so far no one in my house is sick of hearing it. If I am ever looking for a gift for a 1-3 year old, then this book will be at the top of the list.
Hilary
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-toddler
Wasn't as big a hit as "Goodnight, Moon" but still loved it for the silliness and for watching the gorilla.

Edited: second child loves it, especially pointing out the mouse.
Peacegal
Hmm, I’m a bit torn on this book. Good Night, Gorilla begins with a zookeeper locking up for the night. The problem is the zoo, which is populated by the cell-like iron-barred cages that went out with Victorian menageries. Gorilla, a highly social creature, is caged all alone. And though the zookeeper is a kindly, chummy sort, the parallels between his locking of the cages and a prison warden’s nightly rounds are rather obvious.

If that were the gist of the story, my ratings would definitely be
midnightfaerie
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I didn't think this was all that original, however, my children really seemed to enjoy it. Few words, but an interesting story that's fun to follow, the pictures were a great addition to the plot. I think we'd read it again.
Finn Pennekamp
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dad and I read this book yesterday, and we both loved it. Dad liked it because it was about a very smart monkey who lets all the animals out of their cages at the zoo. Because, as my Dad says, wild animals should not be kept in zoos. Mom disagrees. But Dad is right. Obviously. Anyway, this gorilla frees all of his friends, and they all sneak back to the zookeeper's house, and sleep in his warm bedroom... until the Zookeeper's wife hears them all say goodnight and leads them back to the cages. ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
A friend at work recommended some picture books to me recently; she has a background in speech pathology and gets these books for her own nieces and nephews and the kids of friends, and they've loved them. Most of them I hadn't hear of - I'm not sure about this one, sometimes it seems really familiar to me and other times I don't think I know it at all.

It's told mostly in pictures, the text consisting of, largely, the zookeeper saying good night to the various animals. It's very cute - the
Linda Robinson
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
More like viewed. There are few words in this picture book, which works for a 3-year old great-nephews who like to make up stories. On a trip to my favorite indie bookstore for his birthday, I was going to collect favorites I got for his mother when she was little. Owl Babies. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. The indie owner got excited, and asked if he could make a recommendation. It was Good Night, Gorilla. I loved it right there in the store. Charming drawings, a moon on most pages (perhaps a clear ...more
Westminster Library
A tired zookeeper unwittingly brings a menagerie of animals home much to his chagrin. This wordless book's illustrations provide much fodder for discussion and interpretation and would make an awesome addition to the before bedtime routine.

Find Good Night, Gorilla at the Westminster Public Library!

Rita Webb
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My kids love this book. Not a whole lot of words, but the pictures tell a story. It gives you lots of opportunity to talk with your kids about what is going on.

"What is that monkey doing?" I'll say. They'll giggle.

I like books that have less words for my younger kids and gives me more opportunity to get them to interact with the story.
Kathryn
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is just so much fun! I loved the adorable and humorous illustrations (that tell so much of the story) and found myself chuckling by the final page. A great choice for those nights when the little ones need an extra giggle at bedtime.
Sylvester
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5* art
5* story
5* fun

So endearing and cozy and wonderful - a favorite favorite. I hope to be reading this over and over in the next few years.

Hααℓєу♡  Ƒιѕнєя
This book is fun. We read it in spanish and the girls enjoyed it. (Whether they're actually connecting the languages or not).
Joshua Arnett
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This little motherfucker is an absolute rascal.
Vir
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love this book!
The illustrations are fabulous! There is so much going on in this simple story.
I think I had read this story at least a thousand time before i realized each key was a different colour, and that they matched the colour of each cage. Ok, so I lied. I never noticed it. It was one of my 2 year olds that pointed that gem out to me
My favourite part is when all the animals say goodnight and all you see are eyes in the dark. Perfect.

This is a great book for most ages! I love
Agnė
3.5 out of 5
The silly playfulness of this picturebook is charming. So are the illustrations:

Rottgrl88
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children

Seeing all the animals in this one was cute. I am not a big fan of Zoo's per say because I would like to have animals be in the wild roaming free but this was still a nice story.
Robin
Feb 18, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I rarely add a book that I've read in nursery class, but Milo insisted that we read this book at least (not kidding) a dozen times. Then he traveled around the room with it, sharing it with the other children in the class. He loved the "good night" bubbles and the white eyes in the darkness - and just laughed and laughed. It was the cutest thing ever!
Kate
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute book about a zookeeper who says goodnight to all the animals in the zoo, but a sneaky gorilla has stolen his keys, follows him, and releases all the animals. All of the animals follow him home and trail him to bed. His wife wakes up to discover all the animals and takes them back to their cages.
Scarlette
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this doesn't translate to much more than "goodnight, gorilla," I appreciate this book for bringing me a daily dose of the Spanish language when my Spanish speaking friends are away.
(I am three, so this brings comfort easily.)
Tegan
This is really cute. Can't believe I haven't read it before! I love the sneaky gorilla. Read for grad school for Lit & Resources for Children.
Eric Hinkle
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My toddlers love this book. And I do, too!
Sara
This made me laugh, it was so cute. What a mischievous gorilla and such a nice zookeepers wife. Lovely!
★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix)
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute picture book with very few words. My son absolutely loves it!
Nathan
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! That silly gorilla. :)
Goodnight Gorilla Written by Peggy Rathmann (text-to-self) (Text to text) 1 1 Jan 30, 2019 06:29PM
MCC Children's Li...: Picture Book #2 1 1 Feb 15, 2012 05:50PM
MCC Children's Li...: Childrens Books 1 4 Feb 02, 2012 08:29PM

• Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • Guess How Much I Love You
  • Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • The Runaway Bunny
  • Time for Bed
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • Jamberry
  • Big Red Barn
  • Blue Hat, Green Hat
  • Harry the Dirty Dog
  • Bear Snores On
Caldecott-medalist Margaret Crosby "Peggy" Rathmann was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, and grew up in the suburbs with two brothers and two sisters. Ms. Rathmann studied commercial art at the American Academy in Chicago, fine art at the Atelier Lack in Minneapolis, and children's-book writing and illustration at the Otis Parsons School of Design in Los Angeles. She currently lives and works in ...more