Start by marking “Away (The Line, #2)” as Want to Read:
Away (The Line, #2)

Away

(The Line #2)

After crossing the Line, Rachel finds herself in a world where survival is never guaranteed - a world where bizarre creatures roam the woods and people have strange abilities. Everything has gone to ruin Away and the survivors have banded into warring clans. Rachel finds her father being held prisoner by a tribe of Others, and she and her new friends set out to rescue him. ...more
Published September 15th 2011 by Dial Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Away

Reynje

I’m not really sure what to say about this book. On one hand, I did actually enjoy this a fraction more than The Line. On the other, it was a case of “more of the same” in terms of the writing, pacing and overall issues I had with the first book.

Away picks up the story shortly after the conclusion of the The Line. Rachel has Crossed and is living with the Others in their camp. Vivian and Mrs Moore are back on the Property, unsure whether they have been betrayed. Rachel finds out that h
Otessa
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Such a good premise, but mired down by wooden writing and a lack of character development. It's a shame really and I feel bad saying it. Also (as with "The Line") plot elements often feel like kludges, or crude & inelegant means to fix the narrative arc. And yes, they do take the plot from point "A", to the writer's desired point "B"...but they often feel more expedient than truly character driven.
The world Teri Hall builds is quite captivating, with a strong premise, full of much promise.
Lorrie
I don't know about this book...it had potential & it was kind of interesting, but in a lethargic, sleepy, uncaring kind of way. Their thoughts, actions, and speech were just...I don't know, static? Like being underwater? Slow? Unemotional? I am really having a hard times putting it in words.
I didn't connect with any of the characters. I mean I honestly just didn't care about any of them. For lack of a better word, "blah" pretty much sums Away for me.
I will read the next book in the series t
Pamela
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Now that Rachel has met Pathik and crossed The Line, life is nothing like she new! Away is a land of warring clans and people with gifts! She knows that now that she has crossed she may never get back. But there are many surprises in store for Rachel!

This was a wonderful continuation of the first book, The Line! It held me captive until I finished! The author did a wonderful job of developing the characters and making them true to life.

Thanks, Teri, for your imagination. This was inspiring!
Kelsi
May 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I NEED TO READ IT.
Wendy
3.5 stars. What the heck...I'll give it 4.

It's hard for me to put into words why I like this series. I'm going to say some things now that might seem insulting to the book/author, but I'll explain later.

* This story is boring...not alot of action.
* The characters are pretty flat and uninteresting. They show very little emotion, unless highly scared or mildly confused.
* The author only gives crumbs when it comes to world building. I want big chunks of buttery bread with jam...but I get crumbs.
Brynn
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wished that you could live in another world? Well, you may want to rethink that after reading this book. In this exciting second installment, Away, by Teri Hall you will be swept into a horrible future filled with cruelty and death.
Rachel already has been through enough, between her father being dead and her crossing the infamous Line alone, Rachel deserves a break. When she makes it back to Pathik’s camp she soon finds a new home. Pathik, along with Indigo, Nandy, Malgam, and ma
Reona
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This worthy sequel to Hall’s The Line (2010) continues to build a dystopian world with suspense and moral choices. Rachel enters “Away,” the wild area on the other side of the “Line,” the border of the “Unified States.” Life has evolved in Away. There, Rachel meets Pathik, and others of his family and group, many of whom have a supernatural power. Rachel rescues her father from a rival camp. Indigo, Pathik’s grandfather and leader of their camp, decides they should relocate to an island that may ...more
BookChic Club
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed The Line, though did think it dragged a bit in the beginning. This sequel doesn't drag at all. It pulled me in from the beginning and kept me turning the pages. I loved getting to learn about the world of Away and its inhabitants, The Others. The search for Rachel's father was really suspenseful and action-packed.

Crossing back over the Line to get Rachel's mom and friends was fun to read about and then the "foolish decision" (from the summary) of Pathik and Rachel really raised
Ab
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
While not as good as "The Line", the first book, still a compelling read. I really want more about the history of the collapse of the society, and how people who were living per usual before the collapse adjusted their lives ... so maybe Ms. Hall can help me out with some more info on that point? These books seem to come in threes, so I'm hoping if there is a third it will be better than this one and answer some more lingering questions about this world.
Dylan
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
"Give people something simple to hate and fear, and they will hate and fear with a passion."

This book was a lot better than the first one! (The first book was definitely necessary to understand this one) It was nice to read a book where not everything ended up happy. I did like the love tension-it was very well written, definitely not overdone.
Cheney
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young adults
This was so good it had me in tears near the end. The story leaves a lot of questions unanswered, so I can't wait for the third one in the series. Action packed, heart wrenching, and engrossing, this story will grab readers from the beginning and just not let go.
Denise
Sep 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dystopian
Yawn
Sarebear
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shortish installment story

Short, again, felt like an installment and not a full book, like half a book. Got online through overdrive library. Interesting story, but would need 4 to 6 of these installments to consider it a full story arc. I am guessing Wool is why it's broken up this way, except with that one you were told you were getting a serial. This seems to be a trend now, stretched out installment stories, that they don't tell you up front. Or maybe they hope it stands on it's own, but, no
Chapter
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, young-adult
Daisy Lopez
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
In my opinion, this book was better than the first one. So many things got revealed, and there were also some very sad deaths, as well as some very stupid moments that led to those deaths. I'm not sure if there's a third book already published or if it's coming out, but if there is, I'm definitely reading it!
Kasi
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
All of these characters are morons.
Jojobean
I really liked this book. For some reason this series has totally gripped me. Its not like it has a lot of action but there's just something about it that I love.

This book picks up right where we left off at the end of "The Line". Rachel has crossed the line into Away. She arrives at the camp with Pathik where she meets Indigo and Malgam, Mrs. Moore's love and son. While there she also meets Nandy, Malgam's wife; and Fisher, a boy a little older than herself. In the book she also find her fathe
justablondemoment
Okay so we all know the saying "nobody likes a bone but a dog" THAT'S how I feel with this series. Give me MEAT. I keep chewing on this bone hoping to atleast get to the marrow but...sigh. This is not a horrid book it just lacks substance. More of the same I care more about what happens than about the characters with the exception of Nipper. The very idea a sheep cat. I want one!!
Liz
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Better than the first novel, had more action and the characters continued to develop. Will give the third book a chance to finish out the story.
Jordan
This book was so much better than the first. The best part is, I finally found out the answer to my question: Rachel is 15. It's kinda sad when the reader doesn't know the age of the main character until the second book. Anyways, we get some more of the basic information.

One thing is still would love to know is where the heck all these countries and places are. I'm guessing Unifolle is Canada. And the islands they were talkin about might be Hawaii or Cuba or some other island. Probably Hawaii,
Karin
NOTE: It is important to read THE LINE before jumping into this book. Click HERE for the link to my review from January 2010.

Rachel is in the Away. Years of reading about it on the net books didn't prepare her for the actual experience. The thing that occupies most of her thoughts is her father. Pathik knows him, but won't tell her anything about him. She feels hopeful, but worried at the same time. When they finally reach the camp, most aren't thrilled to see her. As a Reg, she isn't welcome s
Andrea
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
This review was originally posted on my book review blog, The Overstuffed Bookcase.

*Warning: This is the second book in a series. While I really don't like spoilers, you might find some slight Book 1 spoilers in this review.*

I've kind of gotten into the habit of writing mini reviews for sequels and books later on in a series, that way I don't have to worry about spoilers. So, as with my other mini reviews, I'm just going to share some of my notes:

-In The Line, the narration would go back and f
Ovie
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, reviewed
Every time I sit down to write a review, Goodreads asks at the top: What did you think?

I think this book's middle and ending pissed me off, that's what I think Goodreads.

Away begins shortly where The Line left off. Rachel has Crossed and, with Pathik by her side, they face a whole new set of challenges.

The writing was still mediocre. To be fair, when the action picked up, the writing improved. But my beef isn't with the writing. MY ISSUE IS WITH THE CHOICES SOME OF THE CHARACTERS MADE.

Spoile
JilltheOWL
I had read The Line awhile ago, so it took me a bit to get around to reading Away. Away picks up pretty much right where The Line left off. The first issue Lina has to deal with is how some of the Others think of her and how she thinks of them. Remember these are people she has been taught to fear! With the help of some of the Others she learns to not fear them, but at times there is still tension between her and the Others.

What I liked most in this book was the description of what life was lik
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
2.5-3 stars....closer to 3...i probably would have enjoyed it more and given it a higher rating had i read it when i was 10 (see bottom, under --- )

the writing was just okay...nothing to great...i really didn't think this was MG until i actually started reading it...however, i will be reading the final book, because i need to know what happens.

i did have a problem with the protagonist...ALL THROUGHOUT the book, she doesn't understand other people's emotions/facial expressions...he made a face sh
Loralee
Though I liked this novel much better than the first one, The Line, Away still doesn't have that special something that other YA dystopian/sci-fi novels have and thus I still could only bring myself to give it three stars.

Rachel has crossed the line into Away led by Pathik. Rachel learns of the politics of warring clans in Away and finds that her father is being held captive by an opposing group of natives. Rachel is welcomed, for the most part, into Pathik's clan, though there are some that re
Linda Owen
Feb 18, 2017 added it
Shelves: young-adult
Follow-up to The Line. A dystopian trilogy that describes the hemisphere torn in half; the northern half is under autocratic rule but has modern technology. The southern half was cast out and has no technology..no power, no transportation or communication. In this middle book, Rachel and Pathik find her father and return across the Line to reunite with Vivian and Ms. Moore. In the end, they go back across the Line and travel to the Island... book 3.
ephrielle
Sep 13, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a great quick read. As seems to be the case in most dystopian novels Teri Hall has no problems letting the characters drop off like flies. It also seemed like the deaths were rather sudden. One minute everything seemed just fine and then bam, dead. I don't feel the same draw at the end of this book as I did with the previous. After The Line I really wanted to see what was going to happen. There seemed to be several open questions and scenarios. For instance, I wanted to see what was goi ...more
Ms. Yingling
Rachel has gone across the line to get medicine to Ms. Moore's son, Malgam. Once she is at the camp with Pathik and the others, she realizes that her father (who was reported killed in action, but was probably killed by the government) is alive but being held captive by a rival group, the Roberts. This group has long terrorized Away, but has steered clear of Pathik's group because of Indigo's power to kill people just by envisioning them having brain aneurysms. Once Rachel's father is recovered, ...more
A third book? 1 10 Apr 22, 2012 02:05AM

• The Vision (The Mark, #2)
  • Truth (XVI, #2)
  • Neva
  • Those That Wake (Those That Wake, #1)
  • Memento Nora (Memento Nora, #1)
  • Aurora (Exodus, #3)
  • The Walls Have Eyes (The Sky Inside, #2)
  • The Fox Inheritance (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #2)
  • Circle Nine
  • Grace
  • Deviant
  • The Water Wars
  • Restoring Harmony
Read the first chapter of The Line on my website! www.terihall.com The sequel, Away, is out now! The Island, the third book in the trilogy, is also out!

The Line (3 books)
  • The Line (The Line, #1)
  • The Island (The Line, #3)
“Even the weak and the foolish feel love. They just don't know how to make that matter to someone other than themselves.” 12 likes